Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dollar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

Some quite bearish USD signals this week. Short term everything appears to be hinging on the Non-Farm Payroll (expected +237K) and Average Hourly Earnings (Jan 24.57) reports at 1:30pm today.

A very strong report which puts USD back on track.

US Jan. Change in Nonfarm Payrolls out at +257k vs. +228k expected
    US Jan. Average Hourly Earnings out at 0.5% MoM and 2.2% YoY vs. +0.3%/+1.9% expected,

A much relieved me. Think I need some Quaaludes after that one.

2igf66w.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭For ever odd

dasdog wrote: »
    A very strong report which puts USD back on track.

US Jan. Change in Nonfarm Payrolls out at +257k vs. +228k expected
    US Jan. Average Hourly Earnings out at 0.5% MoM and 2.2% YoY vs. +0.3%/+1.9% expected,

Upward revisions of November and December to the tune of 147K was a big factor.

Crazy world, all eyes will be on the Fed statement on Wednesday to see if the word "patient" is included/excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

Never thought we would see $1.06 ,but it makes the argument for a dollar collapse even stronger.

The dollar is too numerous to be this strong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

euroboom13 wrote: »
    Never thought we would see $1.06 ,but it makes the argument for a dollar collapse even stronger.

The dollar is too numerous to be this strong!

you think it could happen? all i seem to find online is articles that the dollar will continue to rise.

im interested as im visiting the states in june and i feel like ive been mugged seeing as the euro was trading at about 1.30 when i booked

The fact that articles are all pointing the other way ,makes me more convinced the dollar has to cave ,but when?,i can't say ,I thought it would have happened all ready.

Do you reckon I should hold off a bit before exchsbging? I'm going in 14 weeks. It has gone dowbhill..fast since booking. Its a killer to be getting almost parity.

I would wait before touching $ but its your money and in the short term it may keep getting stronger, but I believe if it reverses, it will do rapidly.

But the amount of money you are hedging (spending money) isn't worth worrying too much about.

euroboom13 wrote: »
    The fact that articles are all pointing the other way ,makes me more convinced the dollar has to cave ,but wh?,i can't sayen ,I thought it would have happened all ready.

The only thing I can think of is the debt ceiling issue in September, otherwise with rates hikes coming at some stage, the dollar looks good.

• Advertisement

Euro to rise to from $1.06 to $1.10 tonight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Euro to rise to from $1.06 to $1.10 tonight?

More than likely back to 1.05 by Friday

Tugboats wrote: »
    More than likely back to 1.05 by Friday

Just broke 1.10 but the fall back started. Gone from long to short.

Just broke 1.10 but the fall back started. Gone from long to short.

It seriously hit 1.10? Wow. Turned it off after FOMC it was 1.07s lol

1.085 to 1.10 something, 8:02pm to 8:04pm. Back to 1.091. Timed some scalps well after some dreadful profit taking haemorrhaging in the early stages with the Yen.

1.085 to 1.10 something, 8:02pm to 8:04pm. Back to 1.091. Timed some scalps well after some dreadful profit taking haemorrhaging in the early stages with the Yen.

Wow looks like I missed the fun

Wow looks like I missed the fun

Moved incredibly quick. 250k spread from 1.076 closed 1.095 :) Good medicine to counteract the GBP fall this morning,

Moved incredibly quick. 250k spread from 1.076 closed 1.095 :) Good medicine to counteract the GBP fall this morning,

Are you holding you short at 1.10 for a while or have you taken profit?

Are you holding you short at 1.10 for a while or have you taken profit?

Took the profit. Couple of more short scalps since, one closed but I'll leave the last one settle (50k).

Mini rally was people closing Euro shorts anticipating a more hawkish Fed, apparently, after the initial dust had settled.

Does anyone think it it can rise past its current 1.07 before June? Or should I just accept I'm getting just about parity in the post office and exchange now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Any advice on buying USD.
    I have a few grand saved and was thinking of either buying paper form and hold on to it if as forecasts saying it could hit parity in next few months.
    Goldman Sachs go as far to say that it could fall to $0.85 in the next 12 months :eek:

gs-euro.png

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Duckett

HSBC forecast swims against the tide - $1.20.

Duckett wrote: »
    HSBC forecast swims against the tide - $1.20.

Forecast is for $1.20 in 2017

Forecast is for $1.20 in 2017

Got my hopes up. For a second there

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Got my hopes up. For a second there

Hi MarkY,
    Enjoy your trip to the states, it's great Craic! Cheaper than you'd think.

Hi MarkY,
    Enjoy your trip to the states, it's great Craic! Cheaper than you'd think.

Thanks man. I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Duckett

Always remember that the"trend" is your friend (or enemy!) and trade accordingly. Not much changes over a couple of months unless there is a significant event and QE, Greece etc are already factored in so go and enjoy your trip.

Dollar is taking an absolute battering today across all major pairs bar JPY.

1.086 to the euro right now

could be a opportunity for a eur.usd short again maybe next week

• Advertisement

Today is triple witching Friday, always a crazy day! Also coming to quarter end so profit taking and new set ups will be taken by the big boys.
    Do you follow DXY ?

Advertisement