Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dollar

Options
  • 26-01-2015 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

I am not trying to encourage gold/silver hoarding but I strongly believe the dollar needs to devalue massively and very soon. I still think gold is overvalued and that equities is the place to be.

Cheap euro will put it under even more pressure!

Thoughts please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

euroboom13 wrote: »
    I am not trying to encourage gold/silver hoarding but I strongly believe the dollar needs to devalue massively and very soon. I still think gold is overvalued and that equities is the place to be.

Thoughts please.

A Fed reserve meeting is on Wednesday, maybe they will signal a delay in raising interest rates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭For ever odd

Thoughts please.

Can you give some insight as to why you feel so strongly that the dollar needs to devalue massively? We can take it forward from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

Plenty of reasons.

One very good reason as someone said last week,GDP of Texas is the same in dollars as the whole of russias GDP.

Can't argue with that.

California economy equivalent to eighth biggest in the world.

The dollar is off balance with the rest of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

The dollar is off balance with the rest of the world.

That's because other currencies are weakening (QE in Eurozone and Japan) and the low oil price is weakening oil currencies like Russia.
    The Fed reserve has finished QE and said they would raise interest rates soon causing the dollar to strenghten.
    The US economy seems to be strong enough now not to need a weak currency to support exports.

The dollar has a lot more weakening to do.

What person in his right mind would leave his capitol in dollars now, when he can get such strong value abroad.

When the penny drops that this cannot hold there will be a mass exit of capitol, if its not happening all ready .

Watching closely to see what education I can get for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

What person in his right mind would leave his capitol in dollars now, when he can get such strong value abroad.

When the penny drops that this cannot hold there will be a mass exit of capitol, if its not happening all ready .

No offence, but where is the information/reason for your doomsday prediction regarding the dollar? You seriously lose any credibility you may have when your statements come across as near conspiracy theories....

No offence, but where is the information/reason for your doomsday prediction regarding the dollar? You seriously lose any credibility you may have when your statements come across as near conspiracy theories....

Nothing doomsday about it!
    Russia just devalued without any major controversy.

I am not a doomsday forecaster .(in fact the opposite)

What is the conspiracy theory. The dollar is not worth what its traded at and needs to adjust. When Texas and Russia weight(economically) the same ,there is a screaming imbalance, one that I can't explain.

It will be corrected ,the markets don`t let imbalances like this last.

Might spell doomsday to a lot of people playing the NYSE, but if they are blind to currencies, they shouldn`t be investing across currencies!GLA

(Seriously ,conspiracy theory , the conspiracy is not to question the discrepancy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BMmeow

anyone think the dollar might devalue a bit in the next few months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭dasdog

Starting to get a little nervous about the announcement @ 7pm but I'm holding firm, for now.

I'd normally use a tool like this for code diffs. Wouldn't even attempt to parse the language :pac:

http://projects.wsj.com/fed-statement-tracker

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Fed rates unchanged.

+Consumer sentiment
    +More jobs
    -Low salaries of those jobs
    -Lower inflation on oil prices

Slightly dovish sentiment but EUR/CAD/GBP have all fallen on the news. Not the safe haven JPY where my interest currently lies unfortunately for me.
    Everyone else is holding (New Zealand for example at 8pm this evening) or cutting rates.
    Makes no sense for them to hike in or before June as was expected a few weeks ago. Late Autumn perhaps.

EDIT: It was a 10/0 unanimous decision as opposed to 7/3 expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BMmeow

can someone explain this to me? does this mean the dollar will get stronger?

BMmeow wrote: »
    can someone explain this to me? does this mean the dollar will get stronger?

If you are talking about the Euro/Dollar the more bullish quarters are mentioning parity (€1 = $1) possibly this year which could happen.

The only way the US can devalue is by printing more money which is not something the current Fed are likely to do but I'm open to correction from those more knowledgeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Roonbox

dasdog wrote: »
    The only way the US can devalue is by printing more money which is not something the current Fed are likely to do but I'm open to correction from those more knowledgeable.

The Fed have had the printing presses running at record pace over the past 5 years. Any sign of an economic slowdown in the U.S and they will crank them up again.

Its sort of a race to the bottom between both currencies, or a 'least bad' competition.

The Euro has been absolutely crushed over the past few months so be wary of a relief rally in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Nothing doomsday about it!
    Russia just devalued without any major controversy.

Perhaps this is where you hammer the final nail in your own credibility coffin.:rolleyes:

Mr.David wrote: »
    Perhaps this is where you hammer the final nail in your own credibility coffin.:rolleyes:

You think! how do you figure that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

i think the fed will devalue/QE again to stay competitive, the economy is still very weak

i think the fed will devalue/QE again to stay competitive, the economy is still very weak

QE4eva will mean the rest of the world will have to follow suit.
    The merry-go-round has to stop sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

QE4eva will mean the rest of the world will have to follow suit.
    The merry-go-round has to stop sometime.

the problem is, no politician or central banker wants it to stop on their watch.

Yellen jawboning that she intends to raise rates is causing volatility, if she does the markets will tank. imo of course

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 beer_hunter

if they engage in even more QE , american treasuries will be the big winner , U.S treasuries are great value compared to any soverign bonds in europe and have doubled the returns of the S+P this past year

the problem is, no politician or central banker wants it to stop on their watch.

Yellen jawboning that she intends to raise rates is causing volatility, if she does the markets will tank. imo of course

It is pre- election year in the states, historically a good year as the PR machines kick in and tell all is good in the hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

It's a waiting came now for the world's markets as it's all over the place Oil is going down still , and The likes of Gold a lot of people have a lot of investments in it so they bought Gold at it's peek and they won't sell off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,764 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Should a person be taking his euro saving and exchanging it for some other currency, and if so which currency ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

there will be no more QE from the US, it only works for a while....it's like a hit for a junkie.....they will try something else, probably spending on infraastructure or other large projects that stimulate the economy but also get people to spend.....

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Roonbox

Should a person be taking his euro saving and exchanging it for some other currency, and if so which currency ?

Not at this stage. It is at a longtime low. The time to exchange has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Gold, Silver, Swiss Francs.

Gold is not overvalued and Silver less.

It has not kept pace with the massive currency creation going on.

sin_city wrote: »
    Gold, Silver, Swiss Francs.

Gold is not overvalued and Silver less.

It has not kept pace with the massive currency creation going on.

(gold)It has out paced currency creation since 2001, so it is hard to value, but one things for sure its definitely not bargain basement!

People were using the same argument 2 yrs ago here and were very wrong.($1800 to $1200)GLA

• Advertisement

This guy has the opposite view to you. Interesting article.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-us-dollar-and-the-cone-of-uncertainty-2014-12?IR=T

Advertisement