Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creatine

Options
  • 25-01-2015 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've recently become a gym member(6 months now). For the last month I've upped the frequency of my visits to 5 times a week. Its mainly weights but I intend to integrate cardio soon. My diet is quite good at the moment, mostly chicken and veg and trying to keep the carbs low. The only supplement I do take is Whey to get protein in while I'm working etc. I was given creatine from a friend who had no use and just wanted to unload it. I've read up a fair bit about it (mainly on bodybuilding forums) but I'm still unsure if I'll use it or not. I'm 6ft 3" and weigh 85kg. I want to bulk up but stay as lean as possible. The promises online of increased strenght and size is quite attractive but I've read about bloating and carrying water weight too. Anyone have any experience in this area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brandon F

Never used it myself but have a buddy who swears by the stuff. He's in great shape too if that's any good to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

If you are looking to get leaner than yes absolutely go for it.

Make sure to drink plenty of water with it and don't load it. Just take 5 grams a day and it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

If you are looking to get leaner than yes absolutely go for it.

Make sure to drink plenty of water with it and don't load it. Just take 5 grams a day and it should be fine.

.....awaits the inevitable 5g a day discussion/argument !!!......

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Paddy_PT

Creatine is the most tested supplement on the market and in my opinion one of the best.

You will notice long term strength gains, muscle size will increase and recovery time will become shorter.

Creatine is so cheap - dont feed into this rubbish saying that you have to spend big money on a fancy tub because your body will break it down quicker. Thats just a marketing myth made up by supplement companies.

What you want it a tub of pure creatine mono (unflavoured) which you can pick up from myprotein.com, theproteinworks or bulkpowders very cheaply.

There is no need to cycle on and off it - again this is a marketing myth to cause you to use 25g per day while 'loading'. This wi.. cause you to run out quicker and then have to buy more.
    guile4582 wrote: »
    .....awaits the inevitable 5g a day discussion/argument !!!......

I personally take 5g per day plus 2g which is included in my pre workout (MusclePharm Assault) but I know plenty of people who take more.

Make sure you up your water intake as creatine pulls water into the muscle cells creating protein synthesis. This extra water will cause your current body weight to increase also.

Hope this helps

i have added a lot of muscle using creatine, my recovery is great and my lifts go up and up.
    Only two supplements I use are protein powder and creatine. with creatine I take 10g mixed with a protein shake on an empty stomach 30 mins before my workout and 10g mixed with my protein shake post workout. Non training days I stick to just 10g and I take a week off it every 8 weeks.

In one year (in which I had to take at least 6 weeks off training) i've gone from supersetting 80kg deadlifts & 20 kg (db press each hand) 3x 10 with 30 secs rest between complete sets to 150kg deadlift & 30kg db press , 3 x 10.

I weigh 85kgs

how much is down to creatine and how much is down to hardwork and working on deadlift form, I dunno, but lifting heavy every two days is tough work, so I am sure my recovery is being aided.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭KAZ0077

would Creatine be useful to take if I was trying to lose weight, get lean, (lifting and doing cardio at the minute)?
    I hear stories of water weight and retaining water while on it.... I usually take protein after training.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

KAZ0077 wrote: »
    would Creatine be useful to take if I was trying to lose weight, get lean, (lifting and doing cardio at the minute)?
    I hear stories of water weight and retaining water while on it.... I usually take protein after training.

Thanks,

In the same boat. Looking to lose about a stone which I've gained since quitting football and taking a sabbatical from the gym. Been back about a month now and am looking into creatine to take me up a level. Looking to lose weight and get lean, doing a cardio/weights gym routine.

Anyone have advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Creatine will increase water weight. Water retains in the muscles.

It will not make you fat. You should concentrate on lowering your body fat %.

You can take creatine while losing fat. It will increase strength thus leading to muscle retention or even muscle gains while your body fat % decreases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Reframe...

When dieting, should I take a supplement with no calories which will help me squeeze out a few extra reps?

Yes. Take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

Ive found creatine pretty useless, id say alot of it is mental. I know its proven to have benefits but if it was really a game changer it would be on the WADA banned list.

Its not going to make you put on muscle or lose fat, a slight increase in water weight, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

fungie wrote: »
    ...but if it was really a game changer it would be on the WADA banned list.
    Unlikely to happen when it's naturally occurring in food.
    Same reasoning behind caffine supplements no longer being banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Ive found creatine pretty useless, id say alot of it is mental. I know its proven to have benefits but if it was really a game changer it would be on the WADA banned list.

Its not going to make you put on muscle or lose fat, a slight increase in water weight, yes.

Aren't substances only banned because they're potentially dangerous?

Anyway it's possible you don't react to it. Apparently something about 5% don't react to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ive found creatine pretty useless, id say alot of it is mental.

Johnny No-Gainz!

I'm pointing and laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Whats the story with dosages? ive heard 5g, 10g, 30g and even 60g being thrown around...these are for daily doses not just maintenance!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

jugger0 wrote: »
    Whats the story with dosages? ive heard 5g, 10g, 30g and even 60g being thrown around...these are for daily doses not just maintenance!

3-5g every day. No cycling, no loading, just 3-5g a day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

bohsman wrote: »
    3-5g every day. No cycling, no loading, just 3-5g a day.

for who? a 60kg girl, or a 100kg guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Hanley wrote: »
    for who? a 60kg girl, or a 100kg guy?

3 for the 60kg girl, 5 for the 100kg guy? Starting out I don't think anyone is going to go too far wrong at 5g a day, once you have the muscle mass to need more I'm sure you're not going to be needing advice in this thread.

bohsman wrote: »
    3 for the 60kg girl, 5 for the 100kg guy?

So my friend, who is an 80kg hermaphrodite, needs 4g?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Aren't substances only banned because they're potentially dangerous?

Anyway it's possible you don't react to it. Apparently something about 5% don't react to it.

WADA have a nice way of deciding if something should be banned. It must meet two of the following three criteria in order to be considered for addition to the banned list.

Potentially Dangerous
    Performance Enhancing
    Not in the spirit of sport

In other words, a lot of it is at the discretion of WADA.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Vaidookas_

IceMax wrote: »
    I've recently become a gym member(6 months now). For the last month I've upped the frequency of my visits to 5 times a week. Its mainly weights but I intend to integrate cardio soon. My diet is quite good at the moment, mostly chicken and veg and trying to keep the carbs low. The only supplement I do take is Whey to get protein in while I'm working etc. I was given creatine from a friend who had no use and just wanted to unload it. I've read up a fair bit about it (mainly on bodybuilding forums) but I'm still unsure if I'll use it or not. I'm 6ft 3" and weigh 85kg. I want to bulk up but stay as lean as possible. The promises online of increased strenght and size is quite attractive but I've read about bloating and carrying water weight too. Anyone have any experience in this area?

CREATINE is most studied supplement in the world.
    Make sure you use creatine monohydrate and not fancy money milking crap.
    Sad thing is that 20-30% people are Creatine non responder and it will not have any effect on them. But by all means go and use it creatine as it will improve you workouts and muscle mass looks!

If you need personal trainer advice more about that PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

I read that creatine improves memory so I tried it out in college. I can't say whether it was a placebo effect but I was definitely able to study for longer and it is harmless at 5g per day.

Does anyone know if it makes women puffy? I've heard mixed reviews but honestly I can't see why it would be any different in women.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

I've used Creatine but it defo made my hair fall out as i have male pattern baldness and i read the study on examine.com saying that some participants who had MBP noticed while taking creatine this sped it up, would i be better trying a blend? as i did find it a great help with my lifts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

smyths wrote: »
    I've used Creatine but it defo made my hair fall out as i have male pattern baldness and i read the study on examine.com saying that some participants who had MBP noticed while taking creatine this sped it up, would i be better trying a blend? as i did find it a great help with my lifts

Doesn't examine specifically say they can't say whether it's true or not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

smyths wrote: »

Are, you stabbed me right in the science!

Creatine supplementation has been implicated in increasing DHT in one study
    Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) seems to be a main player in male pattern baldness,[6] and higher circulating DHT levels are correlated with a higher rate of hair loss in those susceptible to the effects of DHT.

^^ that is what the article said. Nothing concrete at all. At worst it will speed up the process but the process will speed up as you get older anyway which would account for much of the "evidence" that creatine is the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TommyJoe15

Quick question; thinking of starting an 8 week creatine cycle and just wondering if I have 1 or 2 nights out on the beer is this dangerous?

TommyJoe15 wrote: »
    Quick question; thinking of starting an 8 week creatine cycle and just wondering if I have 1 or 2 nights out on the beer is this dangerous?

ooooooh here we go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Yes. Even an 8 week cycle is dangerous in itself. Please stay safe.

creatine has been studied more than dinosaurs (allegedly) - you should just go read

the topic holds religious type status in a Bro Science world (deep)

You don't need to cycle it.

It's not dangerous.

Edit: read this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 TommyJoe15

Sorry I'm mainly wondering if any of ye have had any experience with having alcohol while taking creatine?

Advertisement