Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I actually remember this, as I was heading out that night and recall snow (not very heavy) blowing around despite the fact temps at the 850 hPa level were only 0c are even a little above. This analysis chart for New Years Day 1996 at 00z shows the situation at the time (from Vedur)

337028.PNG

Aye thanks, 850s were rising alright as that system was pushing them away
    But we did have a 6day bitter northerly prior to that with ice you could walk on and the surface cold air created 5 to 12 hrs of snow Iirc the further north you were
    There was a strong demarcation on the ground even at sea level,rain in Arklow for example but snow until 4 the next day only 5 miles up the road

My point being, is this cold spell cold enough to convert a push in of an Atlantic front

One things for sure,it ain't boring :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Snowchaser

Hey all

Anyone know the situation up the Dublin mountains? Did the thaw set it? Hoping to head up tomorrow morning for a walk and I am hoping the snow is still there.

Don't worry I have a suitable set of wheels and know the mountains well.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Actually using the GFS 6z, you are one of the few places in the country that would see snow on Monday morning but still subject to huge change.

See

15020212_3000.gif

I just looked at snow acc for Tuesday looks like alot of country could see some! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

aisling86 wrote: »
    I just looked at snow acc for Tuesday looks like alot of country could see some! :D

looks great on paper! if only it was so simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

I hope Evelyn is on for the weekend. Id say she loves the cold as much as us.

Could be a good omen if she is on....:D

• Advertisement

The potential for snow in the southwest on Monday is significant
    If it were to happen as modelled the likes of Kerry and Cork could see several cm of snow.
    This deep cold that is setting in tomorrow is being underestimated a bit on here.
    It looks a lot colder than anything we got all week
    It will have to be to do the job
    My issue is mother nature trumping the models as she has done to date,but on a plus side so far in favour of cold
    Put it to you this way,I would in colder spells than this still be doubtful on snow at the south coast with precipitation
    Macroom is a better location, safer I mean for snow.
    But you could be right

Things not in your favour here also includes no island of Ireland cold pool or snow cover to aid this unlike Jan 10's cork snow that got too margi on the east coast but had that uber cold land to drop dewpoints as the wind blew over it
    You need to be looking for precidents I think not just raw charts and compare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

NIMAN wrote: »
    On my commute to work this morning in the very north of the country it was +6C and no one single bit of snow left on the roads. Yes a bit windy but nothing of any note.

So the polar vortex brought 24hrs of a few cm's of snow and some high winds.

Honestly, why do us Irish and indeed the Brits, get so worked up over the weather. Others around the world would laugh at the hype we put on it. Compare what snow parts of the US are getting to what we had, yet you'd think the end of the world was coming here listening to yellow and orange alerts etc.

Even the title of this thread sounds so dangerous "Level 1 weather alert - be aware". Honestly folks!

It is rather pathetic alright. Lived in NY for years and always giggle when I hear these yellow snow alerts at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Its snowing sideways here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

We seemed to have escaped the snow here in Kerry. I don't think we will escape it by next week though. We got snow a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

On my commute to work this morning in the very north of the country it was +6C and no one single bit of snow left on the roads. Yes a bit windy but nothing of any note.

So the polar vortex brought 24hrs of a few cm's of snow and some high winds.

Honestly, why do us Irish and indeed the Brits, get so worked up over the weather. Others around the world would laugh at the hype we put on it. Compare what snow parts of the US are getting to what we had, yet you'd think the end of the world was coming here listening to yellow and orange alerts etc.

Even the title of this thread sounds so dangerous "Level 1 weather alert - be aware". Honestly folks!
    Yeah I was driving on snow on secondary roads, but if you adjust your driving and take it easy, we rarely get weather that makes driving overly hard.

I feel that many Irish drivers panic when they see snow. Often you are in traffic jams with people driving far too slowly for the conditions.

Of course we had some people lose power, that happens. And of course you'll hear the odd story of someone getting stuck in a car or skidding off, but the VAST majority of people manage to survive and get on with their lives, irrespective of any coloured warnings.

Its only a few years ago that even we had extremely harsher conditions with the big freeze of 2010/11. Now they were difficult conditions and many times more dangerous than what we are having now, yet even 4yrs ago there wasn't the hype we are getting now about a few cm of snow.
    It was all over the media last week.

It came just after the previous 'weather bomb'.

No-one can argue that the weather isn't being overhyped these days, blown out of all proportions. Cos it is. Fact.

I'll hazard a guess and say that you are in the wrong thread for thoughts like this ;) !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Who is Niman on the wrong thread as a matter of interest?

It's currently 9c at my weather station in Arklow :eek:

There better be polar bears flying in that wind tomorrow
    It's actually warmer today than the day before yesterday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yesterday I only had a slight dusting from that 1 snow shower in the evening, most of the showers were moving just to my south-west, the day before they were moving just to my north-east! My aunt lives only 5 miles west of me and they had 4 inchs of snow. Even the village of Dunshaughlin had more than here, l live half way between Dunshaughlin and Ratoath. I heard places like Ashbourne had no lying snow at all.

Hopefully next week will see a more widespread generous layer of snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

It is rather pathetic alright. Lived in NY for years and always giggle when I hear these yellow snow alerts at home.
    we are a small country with a huge death rate from road accidents farm accidents etc,our whole infrastructure is completely different to new York as is our weather. They can give out alerts warnings what ever they like it may just save someone from undue hardship or even death. :o so nothing pathetic about these services to me.cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Gonzo wrote: »
    yesterday I only had a slight dusting from that 1 snow shower in the evening, most of the showers were moving just to my south-west, the day before they were moving just to my north-east! My aunt lives only 5 miles west of me and they had 4 inchs of snow. Even the village of Dunshaughlin had more than here, l live half way between Dunshaughlin and Ratoath. I heard places like Ashbourne had no lying snow at all.

I was driving by Ashbourne on the M2 yesterday at around 7 o clock and it was blizzard conditions, and it was sticking.

I'd imagine it melted away by midnight. It was rain showers by then in Navan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Storm in a tea cup...

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭lolie

Bbc weather showed showers turning wintry and pushing down a good bit inland during the night from the north unlike rte weather which shows showers only falling near the coast.
    Also bbc mentioned a risk of snow in the southwest uk early next week but nothing about the low moving down from the north.
    All snow gone from here apart from the big ball of it rolled up in the front lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Gonzo wrote: »

Whoever you heard that from needs to get out more because it was lying here in Ashbourne for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

-2 in the garage folks. In summer it does be like an oven but in winter it's a fcukin fridge. Roll on summer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Largely agree and also agree that Su's knowledge is staggering - but I think I'm not being unfair if I say that Su thought that lack of precipitation might have been as big a problem as marginality last Wednesday / Thursday. He posted some very technical data showing why showers wouldn't make their way across the country but they certainly did. Just shows the data isn't always right.

I do miss Su's post's.Shame that he felt like he had to leave here. Where is he posting now?
    I think most of the models hi-res and others showed practically no precipitation reaching the South East but in reality we had quiet a bit in Waterford City but unfortunately it just wasn't cold enough to deliver snow of note.
    Hopefully we will see some before this spell ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I do miss Su's post's.Shame that he felt like he had to leave here. Where is he posting now?
    I think most of the models hi-res and others showed practically no precipitation reaching the South East but in reality we had quiet a bit in Waterford City but unfortunately it just wasn't cold enough to deliver snow of note.
    Hopefully we will see some before this spell ends.

Here! Look back at the various posts this week - someone knew far too much about wet and dry bulb thermometers......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Look for posts with few thanks....due to dose of reality! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So whats the latest consensus for Saturday to Tuesday?? Met É going for a quieter few days, leaving the door open for some snow on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Larbre34 wrote: »
    So whats the latest consensus for Saturday to Tuesday?? Met É going for a quieter few days, leaving the door open for some snow on Tuesday

Light stuff around coastal areas over the weekend. A chance of a band of rain turning to snow in the far southwest inland from the coast on Monday morning. A chance of a small depression/open wave bringing snow on Tuesday but amounts vary between the models, ECM showing only light amounts, GFS a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Where is Kermit??
    Not to knock any of you other fine experts on her ( there are many), but he has called all recent events perfectly! (Certainly my location south dublin)
    I hold him in high esteem!
    He was the rason i swapped cars last week and took the wifes, lo and behold, we got a dumping and i got through impassible roads in no time (well impassible to my bmw)
    Until he fails me, KDF is my offical ME!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The White Gold is falling in Portarlington ,

Was not expecting this

And now its stopped , one big huge burst for a minute then gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

What just happened phone went from 9c to 2c in about an hour. Is that right. I'm in the city centre dub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Snowchaser

Anyone know if there is still snow up the Dublin Mountains? Mad to build a snow man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Thunder snow here donegal. Wasn't expecting it either. Started off as sleet then snowed for 2 mins. That was it ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

JJJJNR wrote: »
    What just happened phone went from 9c to 2c in about an hour. Is that right. I'm in the city centre dub.
    I don't know the temp here in Dublin,but went over to our other office there and its bloody baltic compared to lunchtime,fair old drop here it feels

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement