Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

coopdog85 wrote: »
    Speculative punt? You'd swear Jezki was a handicapper running against Hurricane Fly. Bottom line is Jezki will put him in his place come March, that's if Hurricane Fly will even show up at Cheltenham.

They shouldnt run HF in the Champion Hurdle. He hasnt a hope of winning, he was off the bridle along way from home today in conditions that suit. Cant see him placing on good ground around Chelt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Gringo180 wrote: »
    They shouldnt run HF in the Champion Hurdle. He hasnt a hope of winning, he was off the bridle along way from home today in conditions that suit. Cant see him placing on good ground around Chelt.

how do you know it will be good ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Not much strength in depth to the Champion Hurdle this year.

Arctic Fire is 5th in the betting.

My initial thought was Id keep Hurricane Fly for an Irish campaign next season but if the plan is to retire him after this year then he may well go to Cheltenham.

Faugheen while having an Aeroplane engine is not a fluent jumper and has beaten no superstars yet.

The New One hasn't impressed me in a long time and I think he lacks gears compared to the very top 2 milers.

Jezki should be a different horse at Cheltenham but maybe all these defeats to HF will have taken their toll.

At current prices Jezki looks the bet to me but HF certainly could place if he got his ground and it's not a breakneck pace all the way.

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    how do you know it will be good ground?

9 times out of 10 its decent ground. If the ground doesnt beat him the pace will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

mdwexford wrote: »

My initial thought was Id keep Hurricane Fly for an Irish campaign next season but if the plan is to retire him after this year then he may well go to Cheltenham.

Faugheen while having an Aeroplane engine is not a fluent jumper and has beaten no superstars yet.

The New One hasn't impressed me in a long time and I think he lacks gears compared to the very top 2 milers.

Jezki should be a different horse at Cheltenham but maybe all these defeats to HF will have taken their toll.

At current prices Jezki looks the bet to me but HF certainly could place if he got his ground and it's not a breakneck pace all the way.

That's certainly a concern for anyone backing Jezki. A lot of hard battles with HF under his belt and at the wrong end of most of them.

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    That's certainly a concern for anyone backing Jezki. A lot of hard battles with HF under his belt and at the wrong end of most of them.

Are we forgetting last year lads. HF had Jezkis measure all season but when it cane to the biggest race he was the better animal. I would hazard a guess Jezki was around 90% today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Jezki had a lot of things in his favour today and was reeled in a little too easily by Hurricane Fly. He's a serious horse but after conquering Hurricane Fly for a second time at Punchestown, he's now lost to him 3 times. What puts me off is how the excuses keep on building up, the ground, the pace, the jockey, the time of year, latest post says he was only 90% today !! He's going to need to equal last year's run to win and there's a lot of people thinking a leap of faith by ignoring his form this season.

As I said previously, last year's race had an unsatisfactory conclusion (for me). Our Conor fell, the New One was hampered in the process, My Tent or Yours didn't settle and Jezki in the first time hood ran the race of his life. It was serious effort from him but I think everything fell right. I wouldn't like to take away from him but I would think it will take another similar effort.

As regards Mullins being 9/4 to win 7 races. Not my type of bet but it seems a fair enough price. I wouldn't be his biggest fan but he was some army of horses. Outlander an example of this. Now the second favourite for the Neptune and nobody was even considering him before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

mdwexford wrote: »

Yep agree 100%. Nothing yet really a standout. Ok Faugheen could be anything but we have been here before on so many occasions. If the ground is right for HF then he will have every chance. TNO can be forgiven his last one so possible all 4 could be in with a chance at the last. On the basis that the ground should be better than today e/w on Jezki is very attractive

Jezki had a lot of things in his favour today and was reeled in a little too easily by Hurricane Fly. He's a serious horse but after conquering Hurricane Fly for a second time at Punchestown, he's now lost to him 3 times. What puts me off is how the excuses keep on building up, the ground, the pace, the jockey, the time of year, latest post says he was only 90% today !! He's going to need to equal last year's run to win and there's a lot of people thinking a leap of faith by ignoring his form this season.

As I said previously, last year's race had an unsatisfactory conclusion (for me). Our Conor fell, the New One was hampered in the process, My Tent or Yours didn't settle and Jezki in the first time hood ran the race of his life. It was serious effort from him but I think everything fell right. I wouldn't like to take away from him but I would think it will take another similar effort.

As regards Mullins being 9/4 to win 7 races. Not my type of bet but it seems a fair enough price. I wouldn't be his biggest fan but he was some army of horses. Outlander an example of this. Now the second favourite for the Neptune and nobody was even considering him before this.

Jezkis form is arguably better this year (before today) than it was last year. He was cantering when HF was hard at it. I will say even before jumping the last I think he was beaten, but the way he travelled suggests that he is that bit short on fitness. Lets not forget he finished last in this race last year behind the likes of Captain Cee Bee.

It'd be the first time a horse running in their third Grade 1 of the season was short on fitness. What has he been doing since his last race? Binging on Red Mills and Gain and watching re-runs of his Champion Hurdle victory??

Seriously though you said itself his form is arguably better this season. And it arguably is. But it's arguable also that after beating Hurricane Fly twice last season, he should have been able to confirm superiority over that rival this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

It'd be the first time a horse running in their third Grade 1 of the season was short on fitness. What has he been doing since his last race? Binging on Red Mills and Gain and watching re-runs of his Champion Hurdle victory??

Seriously though you said itself his form is arguably better this season. And it arguably is. But it's arguable also that after beating Hurricane Fly twice last season, he should have been able to confirm superiority over that rival this season.

Your first paragraph is quality. Funniest thing I gave read on here in ages. Brilliant.

Running once a month wont keep a horse in tip top shape. Hes about 2 or 3 lbs superior than HF when both are at there best imo. I cant say for certain but imo he is been left short of work at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Another cracking run by Arctic fire to come second behind a historic day for hurricane fly. A strong gallop and Cheltenham will see arctic fire in better light. He will be in contention as they round the final bend. You'd nearly be tempted to send him to the world hurdle

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

People seem to be forgetting about the small matter of the Cheltenham track itself. The turn of foot that Fly has shown at the close on flat tracks seems to be neutered by the Cheltenham hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

People seem to be forgetting about the small matter of the Cheltenham track itself. The turn of foot that Fly has shown at the close on flat tracks seems to be neutered by the Cheltenham hill.

Didn't stop him winning TWO champion hurdles, but

i accept he isn't getting any quicker or younger.

One of best ever no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

He also seems to be holding a bit back for himself as he's getting older and with a view to March you would have to be concerned with how he travelled today especially the considering the much faster pace and ground he's going to encounter in 6 weeks or so. Can see him running ok but unless it turns up unseasonably soft he has absolutely no chance of regaining his crown unfortunately, one of the best we'll ever see though.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Cart

lemush wrote: »
    He also seems to be holding a bit back for himself as he's getting older and with a view to March you would have to be concerned with how he travelled today especially the considering the much faster pace and ground he's going to encounter in 6 weeks or so. Can see him running ok but unless it turns up unseasonably soft he has absolutely no chance of regaining his crown unfortunately, one of the best we'll ever see though.

Ye won,t see hurricane fly in champion hurdle that's a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

Unless it comes up soft or worse, he will only battle on for places

Personally, I recon they will bypass Cheltenham and head for Punch Festival for one last win before he packs up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Gotta love all the difference of opinions in the lead up to Cheltenham. If the ground by any chance comes up soft I'd let Hurricane Fly take his chance to bow out in style!

Faugheen or Hurricane Fly, what a choice to have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

ste2010 wrote: »
    Another cracking run by Arctic fire to come second behind a historic day for hurricane fly. A strong gallop and Cheltenham will see arctic fire in better light. He will be in contention as they round the final bend. You'd nearly be tempted to send him to the world hurdle

I think the Aintree Hurdle is made for him, and he could well be the new Thousand Stars.

• Advertisement

There is absolutely no way he will miss Cheltenham! Willie Mullins said so after the race. Do people not watch these things? The interviews with Mullins are nearly as interesting and as exciting as the race.

He will also be back next season to defend all of his crowns, Morgiana, Ryanair Hurdle, Irish Champion Hurdle. No doubt about it. There is no-one talking of retirement bar one or two on here based on what I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Cart wrote: »
    Ye won,t see hurricane fly in champion hurdle that's a fact

Lay him for all you have then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Lol funny post but Jezki wasn't going to be at his peak today.
    It's not uncommon to leave something to work on.
    March is the day.
    There is absolutely no way he will miss Cheltenham! Willie Mullins said so after the race. Do people not watch these things? The interviews with Mullins are nearly as interesting and as exciting as the race.

He will also be back next season to defend all of his crowns, Morgiana, Ryanair Hurdle, Irish Champion Hurdle. No doubt about it. There is no-one talking of retirement bar one or two on here based on what I don't know.

Can't believe a word Mullins says in those interviews.

Anyone who seriously believes Ruby has a hard decision is very gullible.

People are talking about retirement because he is 11 but in fairness I thought when he got beaten at Punchestown last season that was him done but he's shown no signs of regression this season so as long as he's doing the business then keep him going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

I think the Aintree Hurdle is made for him, and he could well be the new Thousand Stars.

He's the perfect type but so is diakali. Given how well diakali ran in it last years you'd think he will be the one given the same connections?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Went out to Leopardstown today and the atmosphere was brilliant, normally only go to the Paddy Power Day at Christmas but delighted I went out today. Un De Scaeux given a standing ovation when coming home from everyone in the stands, and not to mention the eruption when HF came over the last! To see two absolute beasts in one day of racing was a treat, to see one legend and one possible legend was even better!

Advertisement