Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie runners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

One lovely lady walking her dog said she was from the club down at knocklyon (can't remember the name of it now) and she started running along beside me encouraging me on!

Bros. Pearse!

and you'd be very welcome anytime

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Started on coachto5k and now doing Ultras, throughout I've never experienced anything bad from people I've met at races. People have always been very supportive even when I've been banjaxed in races and walking and this has happened in half marathons, marathons and ultras.

The only negative comments I've ever received are from ejits on the street shouting "run forrest run" or something equallity imaginative.

I have alot of respect for people that do any distance at a "slower pace", at the end of the day its more time on your feet and more time to let yourself talk yourself out of the race.

Anytime I see anyone running thats anyway heavier, I always think fair f*cks to you. You've made the decision to get off the coach and go running and that takes alot of determination to even begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

yantz wrote: »
    Look guys maybe they were calling us names or maybe not, but we get the distinct impression that a lot of serious runners are out to make fun of #RSP. Like before the race there appeared to be several people taking photos of us at our meet up point and sniggering. That's why we aren't accepting new members to our page at the moment. Too many people out to make fun of us:(

I'm calling bs on this. Your posts are full of lies, contradictions, accusations and paranoia. First, there was a bloke calling you names, which seemed to make all runners who were faster than you elitist. Then he wasn't actually calling you anything, but maybe some other people in your group. Or maybe not. Maybe there was no bloke. Then people were looking at your group and taking photos in a condescending way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Look guys maybe they were calling us names or maybe not, but we get the distinct impression that a lot of serious runners are out to make fun of #RSP. Like before the race there appeared to be several people taking photos of us at our meet up point and sniggering. That's why we aren't accepting new members to our page at the moment. Too many people out to make fun of us:(

Honest question: Why do you think people are out to make fun of the RSP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Callin ye names....Dats fockin nuthing...this is Wat goes down in kildare Wen u aren't running fast Enuf.......foto courtessy of p.m.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 yantz

tunguska wrote: »
    Honest question: Why do you think people are out to make fun of the RSP?

Look, our FB page has been invaded by lots of trolls lately so it has got a lot of people on edge. Anyway that's the last I'll say on this for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

About a year ago was heckled on a crowed street in Cork. A young gentleman in his early 20's was having a conversation with his female friend. I passed them and he shouted "You have sexy legs and I want to f*** you!". I miss the days when I was called only fat cause that only motivated me to train more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Callin ye names....Dats fockin nuthing...this is Wat goes down in kildare Wen u aren't running fast Enuf.......foto courtessy of p.m.

Race directors take their role very seriously down there - feel lucky I got home in one piece looking at that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Jaysus having second thoughts about marshalling at Donadea 50k looking at that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

tang1 wrote: »
    Jaysus having second thoughts about marshalling at Donadea 50k looking at that!!

Just don't feel you have to 'encourage' the back markers in quite the same way :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Women shout at me all the time-
    "You're a ride' 'I want to have you're babies' 'you're a god' 'Please please marry me' etc
    But what can you do:pac:
    (actually it might be 'go away or I'll call the cops').

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I hope no one was sniggering, but just in case this clears anything up, there were at least two Raheny Shamrock photographers, and two from the. Irish Runner and one from JTG and probably loads more, all out to capture the atmosphere, so people could have been perfectly innocently taking photos. You weren't the only beginners group there - a lot of The Lord Mayors Team are beginners, so I don't think any photographers would have found your group funny or unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Look, our FB page has been invaded by lots of trolls lately so it has got a lot of people on edge. Anyway that's the last I'll say on this for now.

Brilliant stuff. Hypocritical in so many ways.

So let me get this straight, no one actually called runners names/insulted? You made an accusation, were questioned about it, and finally came clean that you essentially made it up (or spread unfounded rumours). You then complain that your facebook site was invaded by trolls. Hmmmm.......:)

There's no one on here creating a divide between the 'elites'* like us and the likes of the runners on your page. I would perhaps look a bit closer to home.

*people who want to improve, not world champions/record holders/Olympic champions etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Women shout at me all the time-
    "You're a ride' 'I want to have you're babies' 'you're a god' 'Please please marry me' etc
    But what can you do:pac:
    (actually it might be 'go away or I'll call the cops').

Pmsl :D

No one ever comments on my legs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There really have been people trolling the rsp page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

That's a pity, but I have also seen loads of helpful advice from one of the younger, faster men from my club posted on your page. He's answered loads of queries in a really friendly way. Don't let a few trolls make you think everyone's out to get you. Most people are too busy doing things they enjoy (racing, volunteering, taking photos :) ) to be bothered making fun of others.

I think it's gas the way everyone who posts anything on the Internet that someone doesn't like is instantly labelled a troll. In actual fact, what Yantz did here today is actual, real trolling: accusations, made up stories, he said/she said, etc. and when questioned on it, he/she throws out more accusations, this time of a facebook being trolled. This is getting truly pathetic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You will also notice, that he can come on here, be critical, have discussion or whatever, no posts or threads get deleted and no one gets banned.

Another difference from what goes on over on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

adrian522 wrote: »
    You will also notice, that he can come on here, be critical, have discussion or whatever, no posts or threads get deleted and no one gets banned.

Another difference from what goes on over on facebook.

From what I saw anyway it seems like people were being kicked out not for trolling but for just expressing a different point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Is Belcarra out for a run or is he going tossing silage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

The feeling I get is that RSP is censored so much that it is diluted down to a happy clappy version of reddit running. This will inevitably attract clowns and messers.

I'd join the page but there now seems to be an us versus them atmosphere that was only created by closing the page to new members.

Bizarre stuff with the heckler story were you trying to link that to a boardsie?!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

I was a member for not too long about 18 months ago, and genuinely expressed the view that swapping numbers for the marathon was not allowed. Cue a tirade of abuse and a campaign to ban me , and a few particularly childish name calling posts . And so they did ban me after my one and only post. I wrote to the guy in charge not to protest but to merely say that they were banning someone who would have had a lot to offer runners . I got a bizarre reply , I thought I kept it for amusement purposes , but I can't find it. I did from time to time take a look at the stuff people were posting , and it is actually scary with medical advice , to just downright wrong information . So in the end I just stopped and sure it went private then. The bull story in this thread highlights why runners should avoid the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

RSP is a terrible forum. It's the equivalent of having me going into a lecture hall of first year university students trying to teach them microeconomics based on my knowledge gained from getting a C on the same course the year before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

I think closing a forum like that is the equivalent of sheltering a kid with everything positive. One day, that kid is going to go out into the world with one view and no background to handle criticism or negativity. Negativity is a vital part of life and holds a lot of answers if you know how to interpret it. Too much positivity is just as bad as too much negativity. Balance is key and censorship only skews reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

PVincent, who posted above, is a coach whose defining characteristic is his positivity. He has got more people to get running, and to keep running, and to get running faster, than I could count. He is always encouraging people, always getting to to see the good elements of a bad run, and draw on the memory of the good runs when you need to. So if he is getting banned for negativity you really need to look at what is happening in the forum.

Anyway, you like the forum, you make friends there, that's all fine, I wouldn't try to persuade you to leave. But it is very limited, a lot of beginners and not a lot of experienced runners to give advice. (facebook is a terrible place for that anyway, new posts trump everything and there is no way to search) So you should broaden your horizons too. This forum has plenty of experienced runners and coaches, offering a lot of good advice and encouragement - and also some criticism, when someone is making mistakes in training or racing that will hold them back. And if you join a real club you will get all that advice and support, plus the chance to train with other people regularly, which is one of the best things you can do to improve your running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The feeling I get is that RSP is censored so much that it is diluted down to a happy clappy version of reddit running. This will inevitably attract clowns and messers.

I'd join the page but there now seems to be an us versus them atmosphere that was only created by closing the page to new members.

Bizarre stuff with the heckler story were you trying to link that to a boardsie?!

Sometimes the best advice a runner can get is to HTFU, but if you do that on the rsp page you get banned. No kidding.

And you know what, in a way that's okay, if someone wants a place where there is only positive feedback allowed then so be it. It sure isn't what I would be looking for, but everyone to their own.

PS, if the heckler story is correct then I do have a sneaking suspicion who it might have been, not that I have any actual knowledge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Facebook is a great place to post a picture of a cat and silly caption. It is completely useless a place for actually having a conversation about any topic at all or asking for advice on something that might require a two way chat between multiple people. It only works for one line hit and run comments, not for discussing training topics which require a back and forth conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

PS, if the heckler story is correct then I do have a sneaking suspicion who it might have been, not that I have any actual knowledge.

There was reference on some post(s) to an ex boardsie on a hill having a "go" at members of said group. Probably said in jest. Hopefully. ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 yantz

Who do you think it is then guys?

• Advertisement

Who do you think it is then guys?

Who do we think who is ? The person that may or may not have shouted at you, or your friends ? Or the people who were standing around near where you were standing in a sneering fashion, making judgements on you ?
    I will be reporting your posts for trolling if you keep this sh1t up.

Advertisement