Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie runners

Options
  • 24-01-2015 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭

So today I did an organized run as pretty much a beginner. It was only 5k, but only back at running since the start of January. I've started to run maybe 10 or 20 times but never get comfortable with it so still at the stage where running 5k is even a struggle. Managed today in 35 mins which I was happy with but left me in about 10th last for the race!

Was curious as I was running around though what 'real runners' think about beginners like me in a race. When you've finished after maybe 20 minutes do you just think why are they bothering, or would you have admiration for people trying who aren't really fully able yet? Do you think they're just getting in the way (hopefully no one likene would be up the very front of a starting line!) or do you think fair play?

Years ago when running 'races' I hated that most of the field was passing me by, now I've matured and am almost immune to it and run my old way. But was curious as to what people'shonest thoughts are when there's slow/beginners in races too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Runners are the most supportive group of sports people that you are ever likely to meet. In my experience they will encourage every last runner , in facts even more than they would encourage an elite athlete. We all get uptight with runners who start races in the wrong place, and a lot of the time that can be inexperience, but I don't know any runner who would ever have the view that slower runners are wasting their time. So drop that thought, and think positive. Anyone who runs is a runner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

No-one minds slow or beginner runners once they have correct race etiquette. I.E. they don't start at the front blocking faster runners and/or don't run 5-6 abreast blocking people coming from behind.

Other than that I doubt 'real runners' as you call them pass much remarks on any other runners at all. I am not a top of the field runner and have never felt anyone looked down on me. I think people at the back of the pack have a paranoia that people are laughing at them which is completely unfounded. It all comes down to your own self confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

But almost everyone was a slow beginner at some point! Nobody really starts out being super fast! There are so many people here who would have done their first 5k in 35 mins or slower and are now the sub 20 min people through hard work and consistency. I don't believe there's one person here or in the race you did today who would have any issues with slower runners running a race. Everyone's slower than someone else at the race except for the guy/gal coming first.

It's all relative! The guy/gal winning the race might be doing it in 15.xx so would he/she think the guy/gal doing it in 19.xx was 'getting in the way'? I doubt it.
    Similarly the guy/gal running sub 20 wouldn't think you were getting in the way unless you were physically in the wrong place starting the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

sillysocks wrote: »
    So today I did an organized run as pretty much a beginner. It was only 5k, but only back at running since the start of January. I've started to run maybe 10 or 20 times but never get comfortable with it so still at the stage where running 5k is even a struggle. Managed today in 35 mins which I was happy with but left me in about 10th last for the race!

Was curious as I was running around though what 'real runners' think about beginners like me in a race. When you've finished after maybe 20 minutes do you just think why are they bothering, or would you have admiration for people trying who aren't really fully able yet? Do you think they're just getting in the way (hopefully no one likene would be up the very front of a starting line!) or do you think fair play?

Years ago when running 'races' I hated that most of the field was passing me by, now I've matured and am almost immune to it and run my old way. But was curious as to what people'shonest thoughts are when there's slow/beginners in races too.

No one cares, the same way you don't care about anyone slower than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

It's hard to imagine when you're starting off the the people flying by around you ever struggled with their runs!

Would always be conscious of blocking anyone esp when I'm aware I'm very slow.

Havut I did care about the people behind me cause I was conscious of my main aim today of not to be last ;) just about made it.

I was just wondering whether genuinely and honestly people would be a bit sneery to people so slowly whether the general attitude would be fair play.

Whenever I've gone to support at races I actually would have more admiration for people at the back who'd struggle most of the way round and who had to really push through their own barriers to get there (even though I'm sure the 'better' runners are pushing hard too!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My first ever event was the Operation Transformation 5k three years ago. I'd never run a full 5k and went for this as I knew there would be people of all shapes and sizes and the atmosphere and support along the way got me over the line. I was chuffed. Instantly deflated though by some guy handing out flyers for some 10k event telling me "you think that was special, that's nothing". I thought it was very rude and uncalled for.

I've never met anyone like that though since. I did a half marathon a few years ago and was seriously struggling by about mile 10, I was ready to give up tbh and this guy stopped and walked with me and talked me over the hump. I've never forgotten that guy, he represents to me everything that is amazing about running and runners.

Sure there are some idiots who will always say you should be better and faster rather than allow you to enjoy the moment but they are rare. Keep doing what you are doing and feck anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Whenever I've gone to support at races I actualltwouldmost have more admiration for people at the back who'd struggle most of the way round and who had to really push through their own barriers to get there (even though I'm sure the 'better' runners are pushing hard too!)

This brings me back! When I started running a few years ago I used to think it was so much easier for the faster people in races.

Now I know it's painful for everyone who's putting in 100% whether they be 35 min runners or 15 min runners. The guys/gals at the very top are probably going through worse pain but they can just deal with it better through experience/practice in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Havut I did care about the people behind me cause I was conscious of my main aim today of not to be last ;) just about made it.

Try to get this thought out of your head. So what if you are last. If the people behind you had the same mindset then they wouldn't have run and you would have been last!

I'm one of the slow runners. Did first parkrun in August and took me 37:00. Now just over 30:00 and aim for next few weeks is to break that barrier! The encouragement I receive every week from the runners who are heading back to their car after finishing well ahead of me is unreal. I don't think they think I am wasting my time.

Don't worry about what other think. Just concentrate on improving your PB!

I was last in my first ever Parkrun. Didn't care. Someone has to be :D Its not a race, its about getting over the line, doesn't matter if you are in the first wave or bringing up the rear.

Sorry didn't mean to look down on whoever came last , but for me I needed an aim today, and I knew from looking at the times of previous runs I wouldn't be far off so used that as my aim. I was still delighted with the time for me, as I'm sure we're the people before and after me but its harder when you're running in and realize 500 odd people have run in ahead and are already on their way home! But I know I still beat however many people were at home still in bed so am not discouraged!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Have only started to run in the last 3 weeks in a park run near me...the support I got from the more expert runners has been fab everything from pase,breathing and what footwear to get. The run always has a field of under 20 and every week most people regardless of position have waited for the last person to finish.
    With advice and help along the way I have gone from 31 minutes in first run down to 23 minutes in run three.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

I always have the height of respect when i see a new runner out on the road. It can't be easy, for say, a middle aged person who is overweight going out on their own and struggling to run at all. That takes a lot of guts.

I do kinda look down on one type of newbie.

The one who has spent a fortune just so he can tell the others around the water cooler at work how that he did 10km. The most expensive runners, top of the range Garmin, a heart rate monitor that he doesn't know how to use so it stays in the box and so on.

That has nothing to do with speed or ability. It's just the extravagance. I have the same views on those who spend hundreds on North Face gear to amble up Carrauntoohil.

The rest, particularly the heaviest or slowest, get nothing but my admiration. It takes more strength of character to do any run at the back of the field. We were all there once...I hoped I might moved further away from it by now than I actually have!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

eviltwin wrote: »
    Instantly deflated though by some guy handing out flyers for some 10k event telling me "you think that was special, that's nothing". I thought it was very rude and uncalled for.

Sorry, I don't understand. Why did you feel that was rude? Sounds very encouraging to me? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I do kinda look down on one type of newbie.

The one who has spent a fortune just so he can tell the others around the water cooler at work how that he did 10km. The most expensive runners, top of the range Garmin, a heart rate monitor that he doesn't know how to use so it stays in the box and so on.

That has nothing to do with speed or ability. It's just the extravagance. I have the same views on those who spend hundreds on North Face gear to amble up Carrauntoohil.

The rest, particularly the heaviest or slowest, get nothing but my admiration. It takes more strength of character to do any run at the back of the field. We were all there once...I hoped I might moved further away from it by now than I actually have!

All hail the king. Each to their own. If somebody wants that gear, why shouldn't they get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

Sorry, I don't understand. Why did you feel that was rude? Sounds very encouraging to me? :confused:

The runner had worked very hard to achieve that goal and the person with the flyer was making light of it. I wouldn't be impressed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Only a 5k ? Some people wouldn't run that in there life time.

I have nothing but adminration for people starting out running, the start and finish line is the same for every runner regardless of the time achieved .

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Put in 100% effort, know where to start and respect everyone in the race, runners stewards RD etc. Do these things and nobody can take your achievement away from you. I'm very much a 'back of the mid pack' runner but like to stay on for a bit and cheer on those who come after.

P_Fitz wrote: »
    The runner had worked very hard to achieve that goal and the person with the flyer was making light of it. I wouldn't be impressed either.

No he wasn't. He was saying, if you enjoyed that, wait till you try a 10k...you will love it.

Sounds like looking to be offended where no offence is intended. From what was posted here it doesn't sounds like he was in any way making light of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Love Seeing runners out starting out,especially at races...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

P_Fitz wrote: »
    I always have the height of respect when i see a new runner out on the road. It can't be easy, for say, a middle aged person who is overweight going out on their own and struggling to run at all. That takes a lot of guts.

+1 I've started a couch to 5k with a group of parents from the school (all women late 30s /40s) who insisted that they could walk no problem but could never run. Only entering week 3 so early days but so far no bother to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I started a group in work there are 7 to 8 people running lunchtimes Tuesday and Thursday, some have never run before. Very happy to see people enjoying themselves and talking about their run afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'm informally coaching a group of couch to 5k'rs in work, some started this time last year and have kept it up, had my 1st sub 20 yesterday :D
    Also give online advice to a group from Hyderabad.

No he wasn't. He was saying, if you enjoyed that, wait till you try a 10k...you will love it.

Sounds like looking to be offended where no offence is intended. From what was posted here it doesn't sounds like he was in any way making light of it.

How do you know what he meant? He wasn't encouraging, he was sneering. Plenty of others were handing out flyers with a well done, see if you might want to work towards this attitude. And that is encouraging. This guy was approaching new runners feeling delighted with their achievements and telling us it was nothing special because it was only a 5k. I wasn't offended but I did find it rude.

All hail the king. Each to their own. If somebody wants that gear, why shouldn't they get it?

Checked my post again and, as I thought, I never said they can't get it.

They can and they do.

Maybe you meant to respond to someone else and call them "the King"? :confused:

It's nice to hear it's hard for others too! Sometimes when you see others out running they look like its no problem to them and you feel like every step is a chore.
    Would love to be able to take it down to 30 mins for the five km but know that'll take patience....which is where my downfall has been before. About 4 months of running is as long as I've stuck at it, then I give up and have to start from scratch again when I decide to start trying again!

How do you know what he meant? He wasn't encouraging, he was sneering. Plenty of others were handing out flyers with a well done, see if you might want to work towards this attitude. And that is encouraging. This guy was approaching new runners feeling delighted with their achievements and telling us it was nothing special because it was only a 5k. I wasn't offended but I did find it rude.

Getting a bit defensive there, from what you posted it didn't sound at all like he was sneering...I don't know who it was or what the race he was handing out fliers for but I seriously doubt he was sneering. Just my opinion. Perhaps you took him up completely wrong.

Getting a bit defensive there, from what you posted it didn't sound at all like he was sneering...I don't know who it was or what the race he was handing out fliers for but I seriously doubt he was sneering. Just my opinion. Perhaps you took him up completely wrong.

Maybe I did. Maybe he thought he was being very encouraging. I just posted my impression of him and the way it made me feel. The person I ran with, an experienced runner, also thought his manner was off. Remember this was the Operation Transformation run, a lot of those people would never have run before. I think it was the wrong approach but some people might like that kind of thing. It doesn't take much effort to say well done to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

It's nice to hear it's hard for others too! Sometimes when you see others out running they look like its no problem to them and you feel like every step is a chore.
    Would love to be able to take it down to 30 mins for the five km but know that'll take patience....which is where my downfall has been before. About 4 months of running is as long as I've stuck at it, then I give up and have to start from scratch again when I decide to start trying again!

Just keep running & the time will fall naturally. I have a run that I do from work at lunch time. When I started out it would take me 60 mins or so. Now it takes 45/46 mins. Keep going - you'll never regret it :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 yantz

Maybe I did. Maybe he thought he was being very encouraging. I just posted my impression of him and the way it made me feel. The person I ran with, an experienced runner, also thought his manner was off. Remember this was the Operation Transformation run, a lot of those people would never have run before. I think it was the wrong approach but some people might like that kind of thing. It doesn't take much effort to say well done to someone.

I've seen this kind of thing before. I got sneered at in Raheny just this past weekend by a "club runner" for wearing a Runner's Support Page T-Shirt. There does seem to be elitism amongst the fast runners.

Advertisement