Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie runners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

yantz wrote: »
    I've seen this kind of thing before. I got sneered at in Raheny just this past weekend by a "club runner" for wearing a Runner's Support Page T-Shirt. There does seem to be elitism amongst the fast runners.

I think you get idiots in all walks of life, some runners are idiots and elitist, most aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I've seen this kind of thing before. I got sneered at in Raheny just this past weekend by a "club runner" for wearing a Runner's Support Page T-Shirt. There does seem to be elitism amongst the fast runners.

Pretty generalised comment there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

There does seem to be elitism amongst the fast runners.

Plenty of fast runners on here who are absolutely encouraging to people of all abilities. Don't think you can generalise like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

What is a 'fast runner'? Is that how you describe athletes faster than yourself? Pretty general if it is. Once again the elitist term gets thrown around.

Talk about pigeonholing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Sorry, I don't understand. Why did you feel that was rude? Sounds very encouraging to me? :confused:

Im glad somebody said it because I was thinking, how is that a sneering comment????? What that guy said sounded encouraging to me, like just wait til you get to run a 10k, you'll enjoy that even more. Hmmm I think some people just interpret anything as a put down or dig when its nothing of the sort. It says more about them and their view of themselves than anything anybody else has to say.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 yantz

I think you get idiots in all walks of life, some runners are idiots and elitist, most aren't.

All I know was there was a guy on the side at Raheny who was openly heckling RSP members and yelling abuse. Sad really but speaks to the elitist attitude I've seen w/ the boy racers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yelling abuse? I must have missed that. I've never seen nor heard of anything like that at a race in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

tunguska wrote: »
    Im glad somebody said it because I was thinking, how is that a sneering comment????? What that guy said sounded encouraging to me, like just wait til you get to run a 10k, you'll enjoy that even more. Hmmm I think some people just interpret anything as a put down or dig when its nothing of the sort. It says more about them and their view of themselves than anything anybody else has to say.

Maybe you had to be there. Every 5k I've run there have been people handing out flyers usually with a well done and a smile. I think that is very important especially for an event that attracts a lot of new runners. To be told when you're bent over feeling like you're dying that it was only a 5k and nothing special did take the gloss off a little. Maybe it does say more about me but that was my experience at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

All I know was there was a guy on the side at Raheny who was openly heckling RSP members and yelling abuse. Sad really but speaks to the elitist attitude I've seen w/ the boy racers.

What is RSP ? Is it a club ? I can't see anything that matches those initials in AI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

PaulieC wrote: »
    What is RSP ? Is it a club ? I can't see anything that matches those initials in AI.

It's a group on Facebook :rolleyes: Probably better to leave it at that

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »

It is the Runners Support Page on Facebook. It may not be a proper club in your eyes but has hundreds of members who support each other, however fast or slow they may be. To clarify the story I was telling earlier- there was a guy at the top of the hill actively targeting people in our t-shirts and calling us fat p£@ks and the like.not on and really left a bad taste.

It is the Runners Support Page on Facebook. It may not be a proper club in your eyes but has hundreds of members who support each other, however fast or slow they may be. To clarify the story I was telling earlier- there was a guy at the top of the hill actively targeting people in our t-shirts and calling us fat p£@ks and the like.not on and really left a bad taste.

I started running when I was 5st overweight. I had plenty of those comments from a-holes in the park or street so it doesn't surprise me. Surprised to hear about it at a proper event though.

I assumed it was a club because you said someone was heckling the "members"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

eviltwin wrote: »
    I started running when I was 5st overweight. I had plenty of those comments from a-holes in the park or street so it doesn't surprise me. Surprised to hear about it at a proper event though.

Yeah but what have these events got to do with club or "fast" runners? What you both stumbled upon there is called a "prick". They exist in all walks of life, if an accountant gave me abuse I would assume that he was just a said prick, I wouldn't make the leap that you've made that all accountants are pricks and prone to shouting abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Everyone gets shouted at now and again, whether slim or overweight. It happens and is annoying but it's very rare in my opinion. You learn to grow a thick skin and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

That's awful. I'm sure you didn't have time to check as you were racing past, but I hope he wasn't a Raheny club member? Was he in Raheny gear? (I'd say most of the club were much to busy volunteering to be heckling like that, but if it WAS a club member I'd pass it on to the committee as I know the club would really not like that.)

Whenever I've raced in Raheny (like at the Winter league etc) I'm always amused to see that the nice encouraging shouts are reserved for middle-of-the-pack types like me, and those behind me, while the fast runners at the front get much more brutal encouragement like 'Get the finger out' and 'It's a RACE not a sponsored walk!' :)

HelenAnne wrote: »
    That's awful. I'm sure you didn't have time to check as you were racing past, but I hope he wasn't a Raheny club member? Was he in Raheny gear? (I'd say most of the club were much to busy volunteering to be heckling like that, but if it WAS a club member I'd pass it on to the committee as I know the club would really not like that.)

Whenever I've raced in Raheny (like at the Winter league etc) I'm always amused to see that the nice encouraging shouts are reserved for middle-of-the-pack types like me, and those behind me, while the fast runners at the front get much more brutal encouragement like 'Get the finger out' and 'It's a RACE not a sponsored walk!' :)

I don't know what club he was in. He was yelling stuff like "Hey fattie- nice shirt! its all good though because Brian O'Driscoll is considered overweight" and also "being fat is my superpower" then sniggering and laughing. Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

To clarify the story I was telling earlier- there was a guy at the top of the hill actively targeting people in our t-shirts and calling us fat p£@ks and the like.not on and really left a bad taste.

Just so I understand correctly, Somebody, who was a club runner, was standing at the top of the hill in Raheny during the 5 mile race, surrounded by other specatators, called you a fat pr**k?
    To me that seems incredible because the other spectators would be all over someone like that in an instant, theres no way he'd be let away with that.

tunguska wrote: »
    Just so I understand correctly, Somebody, who was a club runner, was standing at the top of the hill in Raheny during the 5 mile race, surrounded by other specatators, called you a fat pr**k?
    To me that seems incredible because the other spectators would be all over someone like that in an instant, theres no way he'd be let away with that.

Look. Forget it. Not trying to cause a fuss. I have no idea if they were a club runner or not. It was merely a story I heard from a few of the RSP gals. I just was trying to highlight the kind of obsticles us newbies often face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

Was he at the top of a hill so people would be to tired to slap him?? lol.

Oh i hate big hills.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    I wouldn't make the leap that you've made that all accountants are pricks...

Um...but they are! ;)

Look. Forget it. Not trying to cause a fuss. I have no idea if they were a club runner or not. It was merely a story I heard from a few of the RSP gals. I just was trying to highlight the kind of obsticles us newbies often face.

So which was it ? You were getting the abuse or someone else was ? Something fishy going on here.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Yeah but what have these events got to do with club or "fast" runners? What you both stumbled upon there is called a "prick". They exist in all walks of life, if an accountant gave me abuse I would assume that he was just a said prick, I wouldn't make the leap that you've made that all accountants are pricks and prone to shouting abuse.

I wasn't suggesting for one second that runners do this. I should have explained it better. My point was just that when I was running in events I never heard anything negative like that only when I was running on my own. Most people who will make a comment at a solo runner won't have the nerve to do it at an event. I would assume any of that carry on would be dealt with by stewards or other spectators. That's why it surprised me it happened. If I had been standing beside that guy I'd have told him to shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

No one has ever shouted at me, but I have heard stories from other women about this happening when they're running alone. I really hope it wasn't a runner ( club or not) doing this yesterday, but regardless, it should not put newbies and RSPers off joining a club, we're not all svelte elites - I'm not, and I'm in a club - and the vast majority are not abuse-shouting pricks! hope it didn't ruin the day for anyone, well done on your runs yesterday, and don't let it make you think you're not 'fast' enough for a club. I bet most of the abuse-shouters in the world are people who have never run a step. Most runners understand we're all doing the thing we enjoy, just at different paces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

When you make such outlandish statements like that you have to back it up. It has now changed from it actually happening to a story you heard. Ridiculous stuff really.

I find it extremely hard to believe that this happened and to me it looks like a little bit of a "throw the cat amongst the pigeons" scenario here.

In all my running and racing in Ireland I have never seen nor heard any new runners being discouraged at races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Were those comments from other runners or general yobs in the park? I was 5 stone over weight when I started and pushing a buggy up bohernabreena hill, gasping and spluttering and I met runners who were seriously fit who encouraged me the whole time. One lovely lady walking her dog said she was from the club down at knocklyon (can't remember the name of it now) and she started running along beside me encouraging me on! There were two sisters who used to see me push passed my various markers as i got better and they used to woohoo at me :D

On here I made my first post in this forum about the mini marathon and dared to mention I did it in 1:14 mins and thought I'd be laughed out of the place...but it was exactly the opposite!

The only one time I ever got a negative comment was from a b*tch in the park last week who was walking her dog with her fella...I was coming the opposite way against a flipping houricane and I'd say I looked like a hamster on a wheel :D ...legs going but not getting anywhere...and yer one turns to her bloke and said 'I could do that' and they both laughed. Not meaning to be rude...but if she could do it...why wasn't she...anyhow she got in my head and I gave up and walked. I was more annoyed with myself than with her, she didn't know I'd just ran 13k in that wind!

Anyhow... I waffled on as per usual :D. But one final thing...I never heard anything negative shouted at anyone yesterday, though maybe I couldn't hear it over my own incessant flaming pep talks :D. But the atmosphere was so good and so positive I'm very surprised to hear people werw mocking runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Well managed another 5k today so was delighted with myself. Only stopped to walk once which was a big improvement for me. Still took the same amount of time but hopefully as I lose a bit of weight the speed will be a bit easier.
    Got to the gate of my house and had done 4.87km according to run keeper so had to turn around and run up and down the road again to get the 5 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I've run races all over the country from Wexford up to Donegal & not once in the few years i've been running have i heard anything derogatory or insulting mentioned at any of those races. Supporters at these races have been nothing but encouraging & supportive. I remember one such instance at a half marathon a few years ago, pacers verbally shouting a runner to his target and it worked and said runner was over the moon cause of the encouragement given

I find it hard to believe that a person was allowed to abuse & insult people at one of the most respected and well ran road races in the country, just dont buy it.

Look guys maybe they were calling us names or maybe not, but we get the distinct impression that a lot of serious runners are out to make fun of #RSP. Like before the race there appeared to be several people taking photos of us at our meet up point and sniggering. That's why we aren't accepting new members to our page at the moment. Too many people out to make fun of us:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Look guys maybe they were calling us names or maybe not, but we get the distinct impression that a lot of serious runners are out to make fun of #RSP. Like before the race there appeared to be several people taking photos of us at our meet up point and sniggering. That's why we aren't accepting new members to our page at the moment. Too many people out to make fun of us:(

They were either calling ye names or not? Why make up stories like that taking place when they didnt?

Advertisement