Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you vote in the Marriage Equality referendum? Mod Note Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

RobertKK wrote: »
    People on the Yes side and people on the No side are getting paid here.

It is a decent earner. I get paid directly to my bank account.

€200 for 4 posts.
    Handy money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Yeah i would like to think if the people voting No were being paid the company paying them would at least come up with something semi-coherent as a reason. I don't know which reason was dumber, the polygamy argument or the person saying "I believe other bigger issues should be fixed first"...Vote No to marriage equality! Fix poverty first!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

180Bhoy wrote: »
    I think I'm homophobic. I mean the thoughts of two men kissing ect absolutely sickens me. Yock! But Il still vote yes as it's not my business what other people do. They should have the choice to marry if it will make them happy. Equality for all.

But two such people already can do what makes them happy, which is as it should be. This referendum is about the rest of us giving them legal and fiscal advantages and changing a fundamental unit of society to do so.

As to the polygamy argument, if three people love each other why should they not be allowed be happy also? The bigger issues is a cop out, but the cost of this referendum would be better spent on A&E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I've lived a country where it is allowed, and now a state where it is allowed. My own marriage hasn't suffered as a result of gay marriage being enacted in those places.

Why would it?

I live in a country where it's been legal since 2005 and it has had absolutely zero effect on the traditional family unit and hasn't lead to the downfall of society or mass rioting or straight people being forced to marry someone from their own gender or anything else. The only repercussions of this change in law was giving the right to get married to people of the same gender and nothing else. I walk down the street and see gay and straight couples and I have no clue who's married or not - and I don't give a flying fook; whether they're married or not does not effect me in anyway, shape or form but it directly effects the lives of my friends and family who are gay. Voting yes is simply the right and just thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

No, but it is the reason society has made marriage an elevated institution.

Not a very positive reason.

once again, hardly a ringing endorsement.
    Why are we overthrowing millennia of marriage structures for something that doesn't do much?

Those are the common reasons given as to why it shouldn't be legalised.

As to why it should be, that people want it is sufficient.

If there's no reason not to (other than some nebulous "tradition" waffle) then why would you vote No?

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    Those are the common reasons given as to why it shouldn't be legalised.

As to why it should be, that people want it is sufficient.

If there's no reason not to (other than some nebulous "tradition" waffle) then why would you vote No?

If you are going to change the Constitution and affect hundreds of pieces of legislation then a stronger justification than "we might as well" is needed.A more mature debate is needed, but doesn't seem likely, especially in After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you are going to change the Constitution and affect hundreds of pieces of legislation then a stronger justification than "we might as well" is needed.A more mature debate is needed, but doesn't seem likely, especially in After Hours.

Nothing stopping a mature debate.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Except, gbear didn't say "we might as well". A large proportion of the population want this to go through, the majority of the population (according the various polls) agree with it. That's how a democracy works. There is a strong call for a change, nothing to do with "ah sure, we have a few minutes free that day, we may as well just throw in a wee vote sure".

Nothing stopping a mature debate.

The yes campaign characterise any attempt to look at the broader picture as "confusing the issue" in a clear attempt to confine discussion to sound bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

But two such people already can do what makes them happy, which is as it should be. This referendum is about the rest of us giving them legal and fiscal advantages and changing a fundamental unit of society to do so.
    Except get married and except there be a legal way that a couple's children can be given guardianship by a step-parent in the event of the legal parent's death. A step mother or a father who may have brought those children up their entire lives.

This is a real life injustice for the children of gay parents and is a legal insecurity for many children that would be solved if only we changed the human construct of our marriage laws (as we have done many times in the past). It's an incredibly important issue for gay parents as well as all gay people who need equality in all the legal and fiscal advantages of marriage as a civil institution.
    As to the polygamy argument, if three people love each other why should they not be allowed be happy also? The bigger issues is a cop out, but the cost of this referendum would be better spent on A&E.

Why's that now? Are we not allowed to change the constitution because everything else needs fixing as well? If you have a problem with the fact that the government doesn't manage money well, take it to your local politician. Tell them your vote is contingent on how they spend our money, like I'm doing at the moment with Clare Co.Co. over sending 6 councillors to China "because they came over with 30+ delegates and we'd be mortified if we didn't show due respect in return" :confused:

Don't confuse the issues here. You're objecting to a vote for equality because the govt can't manage money. If people would ever stop protesting govt expenditure and mismanagement by objecting to a perfectly valid referendum being held at all, we might progress a bit in this country.

• Advertisement

The yes campaign characterise any attempt to look at the broader picture as "confusing the issue" in a clear attempt to confine discussion to sound bites.

Statements like this is what kills any attempt at a mature debate.

Whats the broader picture then? Tell us

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No matter if it's on a Thursday or a Saturday I always read comments from students on boards claiming a conspiracy to exclude them.

If ye will be away from home for exams then if you don't register it's your own fault

Lots of time left to sort this :)

Most referundums don't crack 50% and a lot who voted on the poll won't vote either.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    No matter if it's on a Thursday or a Saturday I always read comments from students on boards claiming a conspiracy to exclude them.

If ye will be away from home for exams then if you don't register it's your own fault

Lots of time left to sort this :)

Actually not really, and exams are something I'm really worried about. I'm in my final year and live seven hours away from home. My exams this year are very important and I will most likely be doing my FYP up until exams. I'm really hoping I don't have an exam on the day of voting because then I can't vote, even if I reregister.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

Im voting yes. Ive been with my with my partner for 4 years and im dying to marry her. We should all have the right to be equal

sup_dude wrote: »
    Actually not really, and exams are something I'm really worried about. I'm in my final year and live seven hours away from home. My exams this year are very important and I will most likely be doing my FYP up until exams. I'm really hoping I don't have an exam on the day of voting because then I can't vote, even if I reregister.

Yes you can. You can do a postal vote!!!!!

It pisses me off that students moan they cant vote when postal votes are available.

Terry Pratchet

You can do a postal vote!!!!!

You can? Tell me more!

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

I'll be voting Leo Varadkar for Taoiseach and Gerry Buttimer for Tanaiste.:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

Johngoose wrote: »
    I'll be voting Leo Varadkar for Taoiseach and Gerry Buttimer for Tanaiste.:-)

No you won't.
    That's not how it works......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

No you won't.
    That's not how it works......

not yet anyway

Flem31 wrote: »
    not yet anyway

I wonder did they ever kiss after too many €2.50 pints in the Dail bar?

Leo Varadkar and Jerry Buttimer that is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Pints only 2.50 in a D2 establishment.....below cost selling ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

There's no date set yet, isn't there not?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

180Bhoy wrote: »
    I think I'm homophobic. I mean the thoughts of two men kissing ect absolutely sickens me. Yock! But Il still vote yes as it's not my business what other people do. They should have the choice to marry if it will make them happy. Equality for all.

To be fair, this is a good way of looking at it. I'm about as aroused by the thought of two men having sex as the idea of watching Roseanne Barr have sex with Danny deVito, but I'm not going to stop them getting married if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Which issues? "We" certainly don't skim over abortion for instance.
    I don't understand still how this would cause reservations with regard to voting yes on this particular issue.

I certainly disagree that the state hasn't skimmed over abortion, they passed a bill that they thought would placate the masses but still didn't actually get to the issue. But this isn't only about abortion.

Euthanasia? the rights of asylum seekers? Adoption rights? To name the few that come to mind right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

RobertKK wrote: »
    People on the Yes side and people on the No side are getting paid here.

It is a decent earner. I get paid directly to my bank account.

I've been out on the town with an owner of a company like what you work for and it was a fascinating experience. He was totally apolitical with no strong opinion on anything other than figuring out what exactly was the root of different demographics prejudices so he could "get good" at his job.
    That, and money....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There'll be some craic in panty bar on the night if this passes

• Advertisement

There's no date set yet, isn't there not?

Either May 1st or 8th is the rumour

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement