Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you vote in the Marriage Equality referendum? Mod Note Post 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

No. This will be done in the marriage referendum, in defence of marriage. Just marriage and not traditional marriage because the definition of such does not need adjectives the same way a triangle or square need be re-named to differentiate a 4-sides triangle or round square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Should there be a clause that both men should be virgins on their wedding day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

I was all for same sex marriage, then with all the talk and jibber jabber about it in recent time I thought I had an argument against it, now I've done a little research and defeated the argument so now I'm all for it again.

Its interesting that the no side had managed to muddy the waters for me by bringing gay adoption into the discussion when this will have nothing to do with the referendum.

edit: Just to clarify, its not gay adoption in particular I have an issue with. I don't believe singletons should be adopting either, gay or straight. The concept of the "ideal family unit" has already been derided in this thread but the needs of a vulnerable child should far outweigh the rights of any individual or couple. The world we live in is far from ideal but wherever possible I believe a child being placed in adoptive care should be placed within a stable male,/female relationship so they have the benefit of being raised by BOTH a mother AND a father.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Whosthis wrote: »
    I was all for same sex marriage, then with all the talk and jibber jabber about it in recent time I thought I had an argument against it, now I've done a little research and defeated the argument so now I'm all for it again.

Its interesting that the no side had managed to muddy the waters for me by bringing gay adoption into the discussion when this will have nothing to do with the referendum.

That's the tactic they're using. The upcoming referendum has absolutely nothing to do with gay adoption, it's mostly about being fully recognised as a couple in the eyes of the State and Law. Tax rights, inheritance and so on.

Iona will continue to muddy the waters and lie to people to fit their needs. People just need to remember this. Iona are lieing to you all the time. It's that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I certainly disagree that the state hasn't skimmed over abortion, they passed a bill that they thought would placate the masses but still didn't actually get to the issue. But this isn't only about abortion.

Euthanasia? the rights of asylum seekers? Adoption rights? To name the few that come to mind right now.
    I'm still wondering how the above would affect whether someone would vote yes in relation to same-sex marriage?
    That is the argument you made initially: you weren't sure whether to vote yes because there are more deserving (in your opinion) issues, implying that you might vote no on the basis of this not being as important an issue (to you) as others. Can you explain this? It makes absolutely zero sense.

Surely just take each issue on its own merits? Even if it feels to you that there are more deserving issues, they are separate; they have to be addressed via separate referenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sonics2k wrote: »
    That's the tactic they're using. The upcoming referendum has absolutely nothing to do with gay adoption, it's mostly about being fully recognised as a couple in the eyes of the State and Law. Tax rights, inheritance and so on.

Iona will continue to muddy the waters and lie to people to fit their needs. People just need to remember this. Iona are lieing to you all the time. It's that simple.

I'm just wondering though, are people here giving Iona more credit than they're worth, and not giving the Irish population enough credit?

By that I mean, people here do seem have a tendency to jump all over someone who expresses their decision not to support marriage equality, and I just wonder, why bother?

The vast majority of people in Ireland already support marriage equality, so shouldn't we be concentrating our efforts on supporting those people, rather than becoming obsessive almost with tackling people who are unlikely to change their minds anyway?

It just reads to me like a futile exercise people getting themselves all worked up in knots about disputing what are clearly strawman arguments. People aren't that stupid that they are likely to be swayed by arguments they already consider irrelevant, but seeing other people get so bent out of shape about these irrelevant arguments may simply turn people off bothering to vote at all.

That's the way I could see things going anyway the more the yes campaign obsess about the no sides arguments instead of simply supporting those people who support them already and solidifying that support for the benefit of everyone in society long after this referendum is done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

RobertKK wrote: »
    The same as a will, with your solicitor.

You know the State sets the rules on which will are recognised and which aren't.

And who are marriage agreements to be enforced if the state doesn't recognise them?
    The marriage bureau, a NGO funded by the marriage license.

So they state doesn't recognise marriages yet presumably requires you to obtain a licence and pay a fee?

And if it's an NGO what powers exactly does it have? Or purpose? Or power to collect fees.

Considering you've been banging on about this nonsense for well over a year, you really haven't thought it out very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Either May 1st or 8th is the rumour

Any idea when they plan on setting the date?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Any idea when they plan on setting the date?

I'm not sure. I'm guessing May 8th is more likely because May 1st is too close to bank holiday weekend.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Voting no, it is not about equality..

I agree, it's nothing to do with that otherwise it would have been thought through. It's nothing more than populist vote fishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I've said this before in a previous thread on marriage equality: those who say that any potential "nastiness" from the either side will push them to vote the other way always seem to focus on attacks from the "Yes" campaign rather than the scummy behaviour of the likes of the Ionanists and Youth Defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

smokingman wrote: »
    I've been out on the town with an owner of a company like what you work for and it was a fascinating experience. He was totally apolitical with no strong opinion on anything other than figuring out what exactly was the root of different demographics prejudices so he could "get good" at his job.
    That, and money....

I wasn't being serious, I am self employed.

But I will take money if anyone wants to offer me it for simply posting stuff here... :pac:

I'm just wondering though, are people here giving Iona more credit than they're worth, and not giving the Irish population enough credit?

By that I mean, people here do seem have a tendency to jump all over someone who expresses their decision not to support marriage equality, and I just wonder, why bother?

The vast majority of people in Ireland already support marriage equality, so shouldn't we be concentrating our efforts on supporting those people, rather than becoming obsessive almost with tackling people who are unlikely to change their minds anyway?

It just reads to me like a futile exercise people getting themselves all worked up in knots about disputing what are clearly strawman arguments. People aren't that stupid that they are likely to be swayed by arguments they already consider irrelevant, but seeing other people get so bent out of shape about these irrelevant arguments may simply turn people off bothering to vote at all.

That's the way I could see things going anyway the more the yes campaign obsess about the no sides arguments instead of simply supporting those people who support them already and solidifying that support for the benefit of everyone in society long after this referendum is done and dusted.

It's just a debate like any other on Boards though, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I'm still wondering how the above would affect whether someone would vote yes in relation to same-sex marriage?
    That is the argument you made initially: you weren't sure whether to vote yes because there are more deserving (in your opinion) issues, implying that you might vote no on the basis of this not being as important an issue (to you) as others. Can you explain this? It makes absolutely zero sense.

Surely just take each issue on its own merits? Even if it feels to you that there are more deserving issues, they are separate; they have to be addressed via separate referenda.

Well look at it this way, your standing in a que to get in to a club, for whatever reason the bouncer skips over the first 6 people and takes the one after them. Now the bouncer goes to take the first person but everyone behind the six now thinks they are next so they argue.

The point I'm trying to make now is that voting yes on this matter opens up a floodgate of other issues. Issues that groups are going to try to challenge in an attempt to get equality on the matter.

As I've said, it was a fleeting thought which challenged my almost certain yes vote. The point of bringing it up was that not all of someone's reasons (whether we take them as just or not) automatically make them homophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The same as a will, with your solicitor.

And where does the legal force of a will originate?

MrP

It's just a debate like any other on Boards though, isn't it?

It's not though really, I mean, this isn't anything like "how often do you change your underwear", etc, decisions that pertain to the individual where we all have our own personal opinions and there's no particular right or wrong that's going to affect society in any significant positive or negative way.

This decision is one which will affect everyone in society, so that's why I say that the yes campaign should be solidifying the support of the vast majority of people that already support them, and focussing on the benefits of a fairer society for all, rather than wasting their time and energy on the likes of handing out internet smackdowns to one or two posters who clearly have no intention of supporting marriage equality.

I know people have mentioned Iona and YD, but how relevant are these organizations in people's everyday lives? Who actually really pays them any heed apart from a small handful in the yes campaign that seek to rally against them? The vast majority of people in Irish society dismiss them as the nutbars they are without giving them a second thought.

We're not going to get 100% support for marriage equality, but we don't need it IMO, we only have to support the 70 odd % that already support marriage equality, and accept that not everyone is always going to agree with our opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Well look at it this way, your standing in a que to get in to a club, for whatever reason the bouncer skips over the first 6 people and takes the one after them. Now the bouncer goes to take the first person but everyone behind the six now thinks they are next so they argue.

The point I'm trying to make now is that voting yes on this matter opens up a floodgate of other issues. Issues that groups are going to try to challenge in an attempt to get equality on the matter.

As I've said, it was a fleeting thought which challenged my almost certain yes vote. The point of bringing it up was that not all of someone's reasons (whether we take them as just or not) automatically make them homophobic.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

Can i ask how many of ye are gay or have a gay friend or gay family member. do ye understand what its like to be gay in this country well its awful. People staring, passing hurtful remarks. Why does it bother some people that i hold my partners hand or kiss her. You cant help who you fall in love with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I can't vote since I no longer live in the country, but I would be worried by anyone who could possibly vote no to this. Why intentionally aim to negatively affect someone else's life over something that won't affect you directly... Unless of course one of your kids, grandkids or great grandkids turns out to be gay and ends up running into difficulty in their lives because what you voted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The point I'm trying to make now is that voting yes on this matter opens up a floodgate of other issues.

It really doesn't.

Why would someone campaigning for immigrant rights think that the result of marriage equality referendum has any bearing on their issue? :confused:

What you seem to be saying is that social change will encourage other people to want social change? I don't see that as a bad thing.

• Advertisement

It's not though really, I mean, this isn't anything like "how often do you change your underwear", etc, decisions that pertain to the individual where we all have our own personal opinions and there's no particular right or wrong that's going to affect society in any significant positive or negative way.

Obviously it's not as frivolous as "how often do you change your underwear" but serious issues have always been debated in Boards and you yourself are often involved in debates with people who will never change their mind. Obviously something as contentious and as topical as this will be debated. I don't see the problem?

Obviously it's not as frivolous as "how often do you change your underwear" but serious issues have always been debated in Boards and you yourself are often involved in debates with people who will never change their mind. Obviously something as contentious and as topical as this will be debated. I don't see the problem?

Yeah but on those issues there's no right or wrong answer, just different perspectives, and that's why I'd always see them as discussions rather than debates. There's not a whole lot of debate going on in marriage equality threads when the vast majority are overwhelming in favour of marriage equality, yet they seem to ignore the fact that the onus isn't on the 'no' side to come up with any argument to change the constitution. They only have to turn up on the day, tick the box, and toddle off.

This issue isn't nearly as contentious as it's being made out to be here where for every 'no' poster there are 20 'yes' posters going out of their way to entertain their irrelevant arguments, like the polygamy and the children and the this that and the other.

I just think people here aren't giving the Irish people enough credit, that they think Iona or YD could ever influence the outcome of the referendum. Most people don't even know who Iona or YD are, let alone does their opinion have any bearing on ordinary Irish people's opinions.

EDIT:

Edit: Actually, I see your point. You're saying we should concentrate on shaky yes votes as opposed to definite nos? Fair enough. I agree with that.

Exactly! You just said it better! :D

jimboblep wrote: »
    Why are you bringing the no campaign in I have voiced no support for that
    as I have said previously my belief is that the yes campaign holds the ethical and moral highground but they are damaging their cause with a sometimes condescending attitude
    a previous poster( EVILTWIN) showed how this should be argued by presenting a positive reason to vote yes
    in college a couple of weeks back the LGBT rep came in and and asked are you all registered to vote and made no mention of why we should vote yes its this presumptive attitude that doesnt sit right with me

Why though would you punish all LGBT people for the perceived poor behaviour of some commentators - many of whom may not even be LGBT themselves?

If your argument was that negative campaigning discourages you from voting at all, I could understand your position somewhat.

But I can't understand why you would go out of your why to punish all LGBT people at the ballot because because you didn't like how some people argued the point.

Particualrly as in doing so, you will be rewarding the negative campaigning of the other side of the debate.

Why is it the entire LGBT community should be punished for the negative campaigning of some members and supporters, but then hold the other side to any account whatsoever for similar behaviour?

If negative campaigning was so serious that you consider it justifies punishing even "innocent" members of the LGBT community, why is it that you don't consider negative campaigning by the other side of the debate to be worthy of any sanction whatsoever.

Also, if as you said, you were leaning towards yes until you so the tone of the debate, I presume you must have been in broad agreement with the actual arguments made in favour of equality, if not the tone.

I can't see how the tone of some commentators would change your views on the merits of the debate, so why is it you see tone to be more important than substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

jimboblep wrote: »
    in college a couple of weeks back the LGBT rep came in and and asked are you all registered to vote and made no mention of why we should vote yes its this presumptive attitude that doesnt sit right with me

Honestly, I think this is one referendum where there should be absolutely no need to explain why any right minded person should vote yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

I've said this before in a previous thread on marriage equality: those who say that any potential "nastiness" from the either side will push them to vote the other way always seem to focus on attacks from the "Yes" campaign rather than the scummy behaviour of the likes of the Ionanists and Youth Defence.

Don't we always perceive our adversaries as such?

I'm still hearing homophobia a lot which beggars belief when one considers that it's heterosexuals that will call this vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It really doesn't.

Why would someone campaigning for immigrant rights think that the result of marriage equality referendum has any bearing on their issue? :confused:

What you seem to be saying is that social change will encourage other people to want social change? I don't see that as a bad thing.

It's not about the argument I was making. It was that not every reason for considering no was homophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Equality for all, except threesomes and unmarried couples in long-term relationships!1!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

conorh91 wrote: »
    Equality for all, except threesomes and unmarried couples in long-term relationships!1!!!

You wot m8?

reprise wrote: »
    wtf!

I am not canvassing here. Vote whatever way your heart desires.

I offered a very benign reason why a lot of people may vote no and feel quite justified in doing so based on the core institution of marriage, whether you like it or not, or have kids or not.

You might think it benign but i think most others would see it as absurd.*

The idea that my marriage to my bf would tear asunder others marriage is frankly farcical. Those who marry make a life long commitment to each other, to remain faithful to each other, to love, support, protect and cherish each other and any family they may or may not build together.

I doubt there is anybody in the world who's marriage is predicated on the fact that two men or women are unable to marry, or whose commitment to each other would in any way be altered by any such marriage. If their commitment was so altered, then the same sex couple really aren't the problem.

*I don't use the word absurd or farcical to ridicule, demean, belittle or condescend to no voters. I use it because they are the words which most appropriately describe the argument. Seriously, how in the world does my relationship threaten or affect anybody else's? How in the world could somebody see same sex couples being excluded from the institution of marriage as being fundamental to their own relationship? Those arguments just dont make sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Is it going to be like the Seanad referendum where you had to vote Yes to abolish it and No to keep it? I still think that's why that referendum failed ... surely a majority of people wanted it abolished?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement