Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Guide - Getting the most out of your high speed Virgin Media (UPC) 240mb/s service

1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭ obi604

Can one get Virgin Media Tv WITHOUT broadband.

every time I select tv only on the website, it then adds broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭ pizzahead77

I can't seem to do it either - might be best to call Sales on 1890 940070

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ garo

Why would you want to do that? Their broadband is good, their TV meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭ obi604

becasue if you had broadband with some other provider and just wanted Virgin for TV

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ garo

Ì know I know. I am just saying that the prevailing consensus on boards was the Virgin wasn't the best for TV and Sky was better. Not sure if that has changed with their new box. I'd be curious what price you can get for TV alone. I doubt it would be 20 p.m.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 20,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭ bk

I would say that the new Virgin 360 TV box is as good as Sky Q and in some ways maybe better.

Of course that can come down to preference, familiarity, channel line-up, pricing, etc. but there isn't the large difference there was previously IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭ odyssey06

To followup on this in case the question pops up again, the Virgin 360 TV box seems to require VM broadband hub with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭ CoBo55

If you disconnect the hub does the 360 box stay working?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭ odyssey06

I could still watch live TV and recordings, but search didn't work and I suspect Guide would no longer update.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭ sporina

Network down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ SortingYouOut

Currently on a 60mb package paying ridiculous money as a long-term customer (63 euro) and I see customers not even on an offer are getting 250mb for 60 eurp p/m. My line can currently handle 1gb, so i'm wondering if anyone has gotten upgraded to a higher speed without paying more than they currently are. It doesn't make sense that i'd have to pay more than what i'm currently paying anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭ T-b0n3

If you are out of contract you should cancel. Before your 30 days are up, you will get a call from VM to offer you a better deal to stay.

This is what I did, and I'm now paying €40 p/m for 9 months, then €80 for final 3 months of contract for 1gb.

Assuming you're out of contract just go on the site and setup yourself as a new customer, when the new modem arrives and is up and running ring cancellations and request an immediate cessation of service telling them you're already sorted with an ISP.

I don't think that would work if a service is already active on site, with my details attached to the account.

Change your name slightly, add in a middle initial etc try it, all it can do is reject you when you try to sign up. If you have a second bank account use that instead I don't think they accept Revolut iban's, they should do but they don't. No harm in giving it a lash I'm on a 12 month new customer deal atm and as soon as it finishes I'm going to be like the Phoenix rising from the ashes with a span' nu bank account and my confirmation name initial in my name😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭ derekeire

All you have to do is ring cancellations, tell them you are getting an offer from another provider for half price for 6months on 500mb and you want to see what deals they have on offer. Don't settle for anything more than half price for 6 months. I do it every year and without fail get a good offer. Sometimes I have to decline as they are not giving me a good offer. I then ring later or next day, get a different agent and get the deal I want.

SH24.ie - free, confidential, at home STI screening. Get tested boys and girls.

Cheers. Ended up getting the line upgraded to 500mb and got a decent offer so paying less now for 10x the speed. Now to look into getting a new router, the hub 3.0 I have is grand, but the wifi isn't great speed wise unless in the same room as it.

Ask them for the new modem tell them the one you have is on its last legs, I thought they gave out the new modem for the 500 connections, that's what they sent me as a "new" customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭ Sarn

Unfortunately they don’t. Signed up as a new account on 500 Mb and they sent out the Hub 3.0.

Advertisement