Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you Go out of your way to Return Money

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Specialun wrote: »
    So I went to get petrol last week. The young lady behind the Till gave me 20 quid too much. I didn't realise it until about 90 mins later as I just put the change into my back pocket.

I was telling a girl here at work and she is argueing with me that I should have returned it.

If I had noticed it straight away I would have but to drive 15 mines each way to do so is crazy IMO

Would you have returned it

Did you ever return this money? I'd be confident in saying that if that girl was in any way conscientious that it would've hit her hard that her till was down. Something was essentially taken without permission and kept eventhough the person who kept it, knew it was wrong. Theft in my eyes.
    Hope she didn't have to pay the money into the till herself, but she probably did you know.

Yeah okay she made a mistake in giving you too much change, but surely you should've and I hope you did make contact and repay the money.

I would certainly return the money in some way to the person, only right thing to do really. Plus, my conscience would've killed me if I had done wrong.
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

My father in law used to say if they needed it they wouldn't be throwing it away :D

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Did you ever return this money? I'd be confident in saying that if that girl was in any way conscientious that it would've hit her hard that her till was down. Something was essentially taken without permission and kept eventhough the person who kept it, knew it was wrong. Theft in my eyes.
    Hope she didn't have to pay the money into the till herself, but she probably did you know.

Yeah okay she made a mistake in giving you too much change, but surely you should've and I hope you did make contact and repay the money.

I would certainly return the money in some way to the person, only right thing to do really. Plus, my conscience would've killed me if I had done wrong.
    kerry4sam
    How is it theft it wasn't like he went into the shop to intentionally steal money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭RayCon

all these people losing wallets with 100's of euro's in them ... :eek: I honestly can't think of the last time I had 100's in my wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

@mrcassid: Delivery Companies in general have the same attitude to personal customers. Better contact the intended recipient yourself by phone: get this off the delivery person themselves. Ofcourse if you came home to see the stuff plonked there in your porch then if you're feeling nice see if you can get the rightful customer phonenumber on the packaging. Try once only to ring them. Allow 2 weeks to pass. Then consider it yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

No it wouldn't. But add in your time even at minimum wage and it's starting to add up.

and if you returned just a tenner you'd probably feature on the stingy thread

another option is to donate it to charity

So you would be out of pocket - you'd need to drive back to the shop so fuel is being used and then drive back home, again fuel being used.
    So you would end up having to pay (in fuel terms) just to return money.
    For me this would be me being out of pocket.
    Possibly the charity idea would be the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Ive found 2 Iphones both returned to owners, When I was in 3rd year I found wallet in tesco toilets with over 500 euro in people were telling me to keep it I handed it into customer service and the lady was there looking for it got a thanks but noway would I have kept any of it, i did find 20 euro rolling down a back road one day I kept that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Going back a long time ago, I found a wallet in a phone box one night. There was a very decent amount of cash in it. I can't remember exactly but I think something like £120. I was on a night out and I had just nipped out of the pub to make a phone call (it was shortly before mobiles were a thing everyone had). When I went back to the pub, I showed my friends what I'd found and we debated what I should do. There were cards in the wallet with the guys name on it. But nothing with a phone number or address or clue as to where he worked or anything.

One of the cards was an AIB debit card. So on Monday, I went to the bank, in to Customer Service, explained the situation and asked could they help me identify this person based on his bank card. They wouldn't tell me his details but they allowed me to lodge the money into his account. To get his cards etc back to him, I would have to go another avenue. They wouldn't even take it and post it to him or anything

So I went to the radio station down the street. Asked them to call him out on the radio a few times, left my contact details in the wallet with a note explaining what I did with the money - to be honest, thinking I'd be rewarded for my honesty and good nature. A couple of days later I phoned the radio station to see had anyone came forward. They had!

But

Never heard a thing from the bollix!!!

I hope he went out to dinner with the dosh...and choked on it....haha

The point: Dishonesty pays :D £120 was an absolute fortune to me at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I was walking down the tunnel into Finsbury Park tube station years ago when a gorgeous Asian girl dropped her purse passing me in the opposite direction. I immediately turned and tried to draw her attention, eventually ending up shouting after her. I'd say she thought I was some kind of weirdo hitting on her and was ignoring me but some other people stopped her as I came after her with the purse. She was a bit flustered and barely thanked me but the look on the faces of everyone else in the tunnel was priceless. I would say I made about 100 people's day. Everyone was beaming at me to the extent that I wouldn't have been surprised if they broke into applause.

Typical of my luck, with every female in the station wanting to have my babies, I was heading to Heathrow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I was walking down the tunnel into Finsbury Park tube station years ago when a gorgeous Asian girl dropped her purse passing me in the opposite direction. I immediately turned and tried to draw her attention, eventually ending up shouting after her. I'd say she thought I was some kind of weirdo hitting on her and was ignoring me but some other people stopped her as I came after her with the purse. She was a bit flustered and barely thanked me but the look on the faces of everyone else in the tunnel was priceless. I would say I made about 100 people's day. Everyone was beaming at me to the extent that I wouldn't have been surprised if they broke into applause.

Typical of my luck, with every female in the station wanting to have my babies, I was heading to Heathrow!!
    That made me giggle lol:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

100% true story....I was 11 or 12 and riding on my bicycle in a large supermarket's parking lot with a friend. I noticed a large purse on the ground, behind the back tire of an SUV.

I wanted to do the right thing so I picked it up. My friend said we should take it. I said 'No' and I took it up to the shop. When I got inside, I practically got arrested. As it turns out, some lady had called the cops because someone stole her purse.

I figured she'd be grateful or something, but she wasn't. She took the pursue back, looked through it and she said, 'All of my money is gone' - which makes sense. Someone took the pursue, got to the parking lot, took out the cash, and left the rest. She looked at me like *I* stole her money. 'Well, where is the money?' she asked.

The officer that had been called seemed to agree. I said I didn't take it. He told me to empty out my pockets. I was scared, so I did it. Not having the money on me didn't convince anyone of my innocence. The officer asked me where my parents were, and asked what I was doing riding in the parking lot and generally was a dick to me. Finally they let me go.

The whole thing was a horrible experience and reminded me to never help anyone.

kerry4sam wrote: »

kerry4sam

I've been a cashier before, and rarely would have one bill to many or bill too few. I never felt bad about it. It's ridiculous to think someone (much less a young person with minimal training) can work without making any mistakes. Mistakes happen.

Businesses don't care. It's a cost of doing business. They could have a much better system in place that would ensure correct amounts of change - but they cost more. So nobody does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lone Shark

What am I missing here - not wanting to drive an hour long round trip is fair enough, but it's hardly that far to your local postbox? After all it's a petrol station, it's not going to be hard find the correct address. 30 seconds online would do it.

Lone Shark wrote: »
    What am I missing here - not wanting to drive an hour long round trip is fair enough, but it's hardly that far to your local postbox? After all it's a petrol station, it's not going to be hard find the correct address. 30 seconds online would do it.

I've always heard not to send cash in the mail.

UCDVet wrote: »
    100% true story....I was 11 or 12 and riding on my bicycle in a large supermarket's parking lot with a friend. I noticed a large purse on the ground, behind the back tire of an SUV.

I wanted to do the right thing so I picked it up. My friend said we should take it. I said 'No' and I took it up to the shop. When I got inside, I practically got arrested. As it turns out, some lady had called the cops because someone stole her purse.

I figured she'd be grateful or something, but she wasn't. She took the pursue back, looked through it and she said, 'All of my money is gone' - which makes sense. Someone took the pursue, got to the parking lot, took out the cash, and left the rest. She looked at me like *I* stole her money. 'Well, where is the money?' she asked.

The officer that had been called seemed to agree. I said I didn't take it. He told me to empty out my pockets. I was scared, so I did it. Not having the money on me didn't convince anyone of my innocence. The officer asked me where my parents were, and asked what I was doing riding in the parking lot and generally was a dick to me. Finally they let me go.

Only in America

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

UCDVet wrote: »

That is quite a horror story :eek:...the stupidity of some people can be mind boggling in thinking that somebody would steal a purse take the cash and then try to return the purse :confused:..stupidity levels in those cases seem to always spiral when one of Irelands 'finest' appears on the scene.
    Thankfully most people have a brain in their heads and are gratefull when somebody returns their property.
    Actually that reminds me of an incident here some years ago when a girl walking home from town got a lift from an elderly farmer.About an hour after she arrived home the farmer was banging on her door demanding that she return the item (cant remember what it was) that she had stolen from his car.The girl was shocked and perplexed and totally denied stealing anything.Farmer insisted she had and called the Guards who duly arrived and quite a scene ensued.Anyhow to cut a long story short matter was finally resolved when the shop owner contacted old farmer to inform him that he had left the goods he had purchased on the counter after him.Stupid old bazzturd didn't even have the decency to apologise to the girl afterwards.

Advertisement