Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you Go out of your way to Return Money

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Jawgap wrote: »
    Well put it another way - I don't imagine petrol station retail attendants are on much more than minimum wage, so not returning the €20 means she has to work about a quarter to a third of her shift for 'free.'
    It would teach him/her a valuable lesson and they wouldn't let it happen again :)

My wife went into supervalue 2 years ago she handed the attendant €50 and she got change of 20, when she told the attendant that she gave her €50 the attendant accused her of lying :mad: she told the attendant to check the till which she did very reluctantly and there was the €50 that she put in. Imagine if she came back a few hours later she wouldn't have much chance of getting t5he money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

heldel00 wrote: »
    6th class boy at school found money inside the school gate at home time last Friday. He came straight back into us with it.
    We have tried all week to find the owner and no luck yet. It will be held on to for a month and if no one comes forward we are gonna give it to him cos he's just class.
    Nicest most decent child you would ever meet so we gonna teach him a lesson early in life that honesty DOES pay!

Unless someone claims it, then he'll feel it most certainly doesn't :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

heldel00 wrote: »
    6th class boy at school found money inside the school gate at home time last Friday. He came straight back into us with it.
    We have tried all week to find the owner and no luck yet. It will be held on to for a month and if no one comes forward we are gonna give it to him cos he's just class.
    Nicest most decent child you would ever meet so we gonna teach him a lesson early in life that honesty DOES pay!

Do the child a favour and don't teach him that he benefits from others misfortune. Donate the money to a charity that he chooses and let him off homework for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 slangamerican

Was in a shop a couple of weeks ago and noticed €20 on the ground and handed it in. Now overdrawn and absolutely no cash, gutted I handed it in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

YES! I worked retail and if the till was out by more than €3 per day. The difference would come out of paycheck. The owner made 2 employees that were working one day to pay for the €32 that the till was short. It was due to a gift voucher incorrectly entered into the till. The owner didnt give a **** and made them pay

If someone gives you too much money whether it be in a bank, shop or pub.The mistake will be paid for by the teller/cashier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Unless someone claims it, then he'll feel it most certainly doesn't :pac:

We obviously haven't told him in case someone does claim it. That would just be too cruel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Do the child a favour and don't teach him that he benefits from others misfortune. Donate the money to a charity that he chooses and let him off homework for a month.

Yeah that's an idea I suppose but if you only knew this child.
    He is what we all could only ever hope for in a son. He donated his communion money to "bothar" (the charity that sends animals to less fortunate people). Doesn't do it for attention or as a goody goody two shoes, he's just a genuine, decent child.

I bet the op would have gone back if he'd been short changed by €20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It would teach him/her a valuable lesson and they wouldn't let it happen again :)

My wife went into supervalue 2 years ago she handed the attendant €50 and she got change of 20, when she told the attendant that she gave her €50 the attendant accused her of lying :mad: she told the attendant to check the till which she did very reluctantly and there was the €50 that she put in. Imagine if she came back a few hours later she wouldn't have much chance of getting t5he money back.

I think they'd learn the same lesson if the money was returned - the 'scare' teaches the lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I found £500 in Mosney back in the 90s. I dropped it into the reception as it was probably a family's holiday money. Never got as much as a word of thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

5starpool wrote: »
    If there was a bank card in it why didn't you hand it into the guards and let them contact the owner?

Because that Garda Christmas party fund doesn't replenish itself by magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Hoop66 wrote: »
    I found a wallet a few years back with a bank card, about 50 or 60 euro and a condom (unused).

You would hope people don't use them and stuff them back in to their wallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Not really on the same lines, but I was doing my weekly football accumulator on the machine in Paddy Power last Thursday. Was throwing in 1 euro into the machine to complete the bet, when I discovered a euro lying in the drawer below the coin slot. So basically a free bet for me (bought a packet of meanies with my unexpected windfall :D). But had the two goals I needed were scored and I pocketed the 550 euro I stood the win, I definitely would have returned the euro I syphoned from the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Went to the bank and asked for 20,000, when I was counting the notes over again when I got the chance, I noticed there was only 15,000! Bastards short changed me. I didn't go back to complain though, heat of the moment, staff under pressure, helicopters out looking for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I was in a supermarket and asked for cash back, when I got home I realised I hadn't been given the money so I went back to the shop. Didn't think I would get anywhere but the assistant manager checked the CCTV above the till and saw I'd only been given a receipt. He apologised profusely, to the point where I wondered if he was implying that the cashier had done it deliberately although I assumed it was just a mistake.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bear1 wrote: »
    Nope.
    30mins of driving to return 20e would end up with you being out of pocket with the fuel used.
    No it wouldn't. But add in your time even at minimum wage and it's starting to add up.

and if you returned just a tenner you'd probably feature on the stingy thread

another option is to donate it to charity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

After leaving an off licence one time with a bunch of booze I realised I hadn't been charged for a bottle of whiskey. It was at the car 10 feet away when I was putting the change in my wallet that I copped it. Went back in and told him he'd undercharged me. He took the money, no thank you or anything like that. Still do it again though. Too honest for my own good....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Well I wouldn't go back specially with it.Would just leave it until next time I was in that area and drop it in.
    BTW how would you go about finding the owner if you found money in the street with no ID.Seems like a hopeless situation.And no would not drop it into the Garda station as I have a fair idea of where it would go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I saw a man drop €20 on a shop forecourt and I picked it up and went into the shop. He was standing at the deli counter patting his pockets looking worried. I said to him that he had dropped his money and returned it. He was delighted cos it was the only money he had with him and he was starving:)

Another time I found a purse with about €200. There was Id in the purse too so I rang the lady and we arranged I'd drive to her work in the hospital to return it. When I got there I gave her the purse and she gave me a bottle of wine to say thanks.

My husband lost his wallet at a rugby match and a man that lives about 5 miles away from us found it and rang us and returned it. There was about €300 and credit cards in it so he was delighted to get it back. He wouldn't take any money as thanks so I got a smyths voucher for €50 for his children.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

Yes I would. I drove from Rathfarnham to Rathmines to return 50 euro once, and I won 100 in a raffle the next week. karma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cormac... wrote: »
    The Real question should be, would you steal from a vending machine? Let's remove the human element as much as possible. If you saw a bar and knew you could get it for free by giving the machine a gentle bang would you do it?

Surely everyone has at some stage been robbed by a vending machine so its just an attempt to even things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

hfallada wrote: »
    YES! I worked retail and if the till was out by more than €3 per day. The difference would come out of paycheck. The owner made 2 employees that were working one day to pay for the €32 that the till was short. It was due to a gift voucher incorrectly entered into the till. The owner didnt give a **** and made them pay

If someone gives you too much money whether it be in a bank, shop or pub.The mistake will be paid for by the teller/cashier
    Does the cashier get to keep the money if there was extra money in the till at the end of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bubosw

Many years ago when I was a child , my sister and I saw a nun walking along the street with a pound note precariously hanging out of her bag. We stalked the poor woman waiting for it to fall out... our perseverance paid off, it fell out and we scooped it up pretty fast. We were off to Lahinch that weekend where we bought two little troll dolls! Maybe I've some guilt about my little foray into theft but, I think I'm actually proud about my patience and stealth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Does the cashier get to keep the money if there was extra money in the till at the end of the day?

Nope - in fact it's usually worse if your till is over than under as proper account of goods and services is not being kept, which will mess up stocktakes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

malibu4u wrote: »
    I drove from Rathfarnham to Rathmines to return 50 euro once

You drove a whole 3 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Yea, I would because I would like to think that if I made an error some decent person would do the decent thing, I got too much change around 15euro in McDonald's in Galway, I handed it in, found 50euro in Woodies, was skint at time, put it in my pocket, went to the car, thought about what I could but, but went back in Woodies and handed it in, hope the owner claimed it, on different note my daughter lost her wallet in Galway but wasn't handed in, if I was you, I would hand it in when passing by next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Heckler wrote: »
    After leaving an off licence one time with a bunch of booze I realised I hadn't been charged for a bottle of whiskey. It was at the car 10 feet away when I was putting the change in my wallet that I copped it. Went back in and told him he'd undercharged me. He took the money, no thank you or anything like that. Still do it again though. Too honest for my own good....

Dude cliffhanger ending!!!

How did the rest of the night go for ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

If I had to drive 2 hours not a hope would I return it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

When i was in primary school, we used to have "clean up days". This was when the children had to clean all the school grounds, I found two 20 punts in a bush with a load of rubbish, gave it to the teacher and she told me she would drop it to the gardai station on her way home. As a trusting 7 year old, I gave it to her. I was told if nobody claimed it I would get it back 6 months later, still waiting on it, 30 odd years later.

Got four bottles of fancy wine dropped into my porch by accident a couple of days ago, did the honest thing and rang the company to tell them. They promised to pick them up the next day, I stayed in and they never bothered showing up. Was a tad annoyed as had cancelled some plans. They eventually did a pick up two days later. Next time will get some fancy cheese to go with the wine

Advertisement