Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you Go out of your way to Return Money

Options
  • 21-01-2015 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

So I went to get petrol last week. The young lady behind the Till gave me 20 quid too much. I didn't realise it until about 90 mins later as I just put the change into my back pocket.

I was telling a girl here at work and she is argueing with me that I should have returned it.

If I had noticed it straight away I would have but to drive 15 mines each way to do so is crazy IMO

Would you have returned it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Nope.
    30mins of driving to return 20e would end up with you being out of pocket with the fuel used.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

F*ck no. If it was a local place and I go there a lot, then probably yeah. But to drive 15mins each way just to give money back is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Personally I wouldn't have returned it. I did find a Samsung galaxy s5 in college before the holidays and left it into the office.
    If I'm handed too much change then that's the shops fault but a personal thing like a phone I would return it.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Nope, not for that small an amount.

I once found 300 quid lying outside work on the path, folded up neatly.
    I tried to find the owner but every grabbing shyster came out of the woodwork once I said I'd found a sum of cash.
    In the end after all the hassle I kept it & spent it clearing my credit card until a week later the true owner came forward.
    She had the day, the amount & the exact notes correct so there was no doubt it was her.
    I couldn't give her cash off my credit card (huge interest) so I had to lie & say someone else had come forward.
    I felt bad but she'd left it weeks & I tried to do the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Yes....to anything else is dishonest and really no better than theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Found a little coin purse thing that had some money in it, not a huge amount like 10-15 euro in coins, tried to find if someone lost it but didn't hear from anyone. It was sitting there for ages, but I had a hard week once and the few bob really helped out :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Specialun wrote: »
    So I went to get petrol last week. The young lady behind the Till gave me 20 quid too much. I didn't realise it until about 90 mins later as I just put the change into my back pocket.

I was telling a girl here at work and she is argueing with me that I should have returned it.

If I had noticed it straight away I would have but to drive 15 mines each way to do so is crazy IMO

Yes, absolutely - and I'd say most people who have worked in retail and suffered when a till has been short would do the same.

Depending on the company policy she may have had to make up the difference from her own pocket.

Yes....to anything else is dishonest and really no better than theft.

So if you were given 20e too much, didn't notice and drove 2 hours away from where it happened would you drive all the way back just to return it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

bear1 wrote: »
    So if you were given 20e too much, didn't notice and drove 2 hours away from where it happened would you drive all the way back just to return it?

I would....it would play on my conscience if I didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Jawgap wrote: »
    Yes, absolutely - and I'd say most people who have worked in retail and suffered when a till has been short would do the same.

Depending on the company policy she may have had to make up the difference from her own pocket.

And she won't make that mistake again.

If it was convienant to me as in a shrot drive away I would return it but if it required a long trip, then no sorry

I would....it would play on my conscience if I didn't.

Fair enough.

I genuinely would have called the shop, explained the situation, and offered to pay by debit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

blacklilly wrote: »
    And she won't make that mistake again.

If it was convienant to me as in a shrot drive away I would return it but if it required a long trip, then no sorry

Well put it another way - I don't imagine petrol station retail attendants are on much more than minimum wage, so not returning the €20 means she has to work about a quarter to a third of her shift for 'free.'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'd go back, find the same cashier, pay for my stuff with a fifty and hope the same thing happened again.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If I didn't notice at the till I probably wouldn't notice at all. I'd give it back if I noticed at the till of course. If I somehow noticed later I probably wouldn't bother really. I've been short changed myself a few times, so swings and roundabouts really.

If I found a larger sum of money I'd certainly make a bit of an effort to return it to the owner if possible. If I found a loose 20 on the street though I certainly wouldn't do anything other than pocket it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I wouldn't drive back with it on one's errand, buy I'd definitely ring and let them know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The Real question should be, would you steal from a vending machine? Let's remove the human element as much as possible. If you saw a bar and knew you could get it for free by giving the machine a gentle bang would you do it?

Would you download a car?

Yes, yes I would if I could.

Cormac... wrote: »
    The Real question should be, would you steal from a vending machine? Let's remove the human element as much as possible. If you saw a bar and knew you could get it for free by giving the machine a gentle bang would you do it?

Oh god. I probably would :eek:

I'm just a petty thug aren't I :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Specialun wrote: »

Give it to the ssf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Nope, but if was in there again, I would probably mention it. Some people take the p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Nope, not for that small an amount.

I once found 300 quid lying outside work on the path, folded up neatly.
    I tried to find the owner but every grabbing shyster came out of the woodwork once I said I'd found a sum of cash.
    In the end after all the hassle I kept it & spent it clearing my credit card until a week later the true owner came forward.
    She had the day, the amount & the exact notes correct so there was no doubt it was her.
    I couldn't give her cash off my credit card (huge interest) so I had to lie & say someone else had come forward.
    I felt bad but she'd left it weeks & I tried to do the right thing.

I don't think you handled that right.
    You should have said nothing or returned it. What you did was the worst possible solution. You found the owner but didn't return the money. Technically in the end you just stole it

Look. Sh1t happens. I'm not judging. But I wouldn't post this one on the webs saying at least I tried to do the right thing. I'd keep this one quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Depends on how much and how long is the way.

Probably wouldn't drive 30 mins to return. But would return if I happened to end up in the same place within say one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Oh god. I probably would :eek:

I'm just a petty thug aren't I :(

You didn't choose the thug life, it chose you...

I found a wallet a few years back with a bank card, about 50 or 60 euro and a condom (unused). I tried a couple of places near where I found asked if anyone had lost a wallet. Then I rang the bank of the bank card, and told them that one of their customers had lost a wallet, and asked them to put him in touch with me.

This is at least 4 years back and that wallet is still sitting on my shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Jawgap wrote: »
    Well put it another way - I don't imagine petrol station retail attendants are on much more than minimum wage, so not returning the €20 means she has to work about a quarter to a third of her shift for 'free.'

Without wanting to sound like a complete knob, I just think tough sh*t.

I've been given back too much change a few times, each time I've spotted this as I was walking out of the shop, so I walked back him and gave the money back.

But no way would I drive 30minutes to give back €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I found an iPod touchonce on the way home from a night out. After a 15 minute argument with my girlfriend at the time I left it where I found it and walked away. I'm raging I didn't keep it .

Hoop66 wrote: »
    You didn't choose the thug life, it chose you...

I found a wallet a few years back with a bank card, about 50 or 60 euro and a condom (unused). I tried a couple of places near where I found asked if anyone had lost a wallet. Then I rang the bank of the bank card, and told them that one of their customers had lost a wallet, and asked them to put him in touch with me.

This is at least 4 years back and that wallet is still sitting on my shelf.

If there was a bank card in it why didn't you hand it into the guards and let them contact the owner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I found a wallet in a place I used to work. Had three or four bank cards, about 300 quid in cash and a driving licence in it. The driving licence had the address on it so I drove up with the wallet after work. There was nobody home but the owner did have a sticker on his car parked in the drive advertising guitar lessons. I rang him and told him I had his wallet and met him in the town center 5 minutes later. He gave me 150 quid as a thank you which I thought was pretty nice. So yes is the answer to the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

6th class boy at school found money inside the school gate at home time last Friday. He came straight back into us with it.
    We have tried all week to find the owner and no luck yet. It will be held on to for a month and if no one comes forward we are gonna give it to him cos he's just class.
    Nicest most decent child you would ever meet so we gonna teach him a lesson early in life that honesty DOES pay!

Advertisement