Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Equality Referendum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Absolutely delighted for you all. Really really chuffed. Congratulations and best of luck to all the future bride and grooms xx. Well done Ireland.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Never had any reason to post on this forum, but just popping in to say how happy I am for you all. This is the reward you all so richly deserve, not least after months of having to endure 'balance' from a caustic and manipulating no campaign. Whether you're going out to celebrate or just spending the day with the people you love, you can be happy that your fellow Irish brothers and sisters are on your side. It's a good day to be Irish :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Been staying off boards and social media for the last week, but had to come back here and say thanks to this forum for the support and debate and laughs throughout the campaign - this is a great, great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Over 62% yes and all constituencies bar one voted yes, wow, proud to be irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

I'm proud to be irish today.We done the right thing.

As a straight male it wouldnt of effected me whether it passed or not but I think life is hard enough for people and I'd never begrudge anybody a bit of happiness.

So gay people enjoy your hen/stag nights:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

I was watching Pat Carey ex TD on RTE, and he said something which had occurred to me, which was that Irish people alwys showed "cothrom na feinne", or had a sense of fair play, which I think marks us out as being unique in our ability to give others a chance.
    I cannot imagine this amendment being passed by popular vote in any other country, except perhaps the Netherlands or Sweden.
    It's a trait I hope Irish people will always have, and something I hope the new Irish will will learn to accept and emulate.
    My 6 year old nephew was in the car today and I mentioned that he had had the day off from school.
    "That was for the vote", he said.
    "That's right" I replied, "they won."
    "Who won?" he asked sharply. "The Yes side?"
    "Yep", says uncle.
    "Oh that's great," he said, beaming. "Now everyone can be happy. Nobody should be sad."
    If this is how the youth of the future think, all will be fine , I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    I was watching Pat Carey ex TD on RTE, and he said something which had occurred to me, which was that Irish people alwys showed "cothrom na feinne", or had a sense of fair play, which I think marks us out as being unique in our ability to give others a chance.
    I cannot imagine this amendment being passed by popular vote in any other country, except perhaps the Netherlands or Sweden.
    It's a trait I hope Irish people will always have, and something I hope the new Irish will will learn to accept and emulate.
    My 6 year old nephew was in the car today and I mentioned that he had had the day off from school.
    "That was for the vote", he said.
    "That's right" I replied, "they won."
    "Who won?" he asked sharply. "The Yes side?"
    "Yep", says uncle.
    "Oh that's great," he said, beaming. "Now everyone can be happy. Nobody should be sad."
    If this is how the youth of the future think, all will be fine , I think.

I'm delighted this vote passed and I see it as a vital step on the road to a progressive, liberal and more tolerant society. But let's not pat ourselves on the back just yet.

The party Mr. Carey represents is one which, like most parties, refuses to countenance allowing women have autonomy over their own bodies, i.e. the right to decide whether they want an abortion or not. We have buried our heads in the sand over this matter and have been fortunate to have a neighbouring country that was willing to provide our women in need with comfort, compassion and care that their fellow compatriots would not.

Most European countries allow provisions on this matter but ourselves, and N.I., do not. We have shown maturity, unlike N.I., in respecting the 'live and let live' philosophy towards our fellow gay citizens. But can we now show the same sort of maturity towards another minority group in need - namely vulnerable young women?

Let's enjoy this moment but also recognize that we've still got a lot of work to do before we can credibly be spoken of alongside countries such as the Netherlands and Sweden.

I know this is a difficult topic, and likely to be much more divisive than the gay marriage referendum, but we've shown courage in confronting a difficult issue and I for one hope we retain that going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

I'm delighted this vote passed and I see it as a vital step on the road to a progressive, liberal and more tolerant society. But let's not pat ourselves on the back just yet.

The party Mr. Carey represents is one which, like most parties, refuses to countenance allowing women have autonomy over their own bodies, i.e. the right to decide whether they want an abortion or not. We have buried our heads in the sand over this matter and have been fortunate to have a neighbouring country that was willing to provide our women in need with comfort, compassion and care that their fellow compatriots would not.

Most European countries allow provisions on this matter but ourselves, and N.I., do not. We have shown maturity, unlike N.I., in respecting the 'live and let live' philosophy towards our fellow gay citizens. But can we now show the same sort of maturity towards another minority group in need - namely vulnerable young women?

Let's enjoy this moment but also recognize that we've still got a lot of work to do before we can credibly be spoken of alongside countries such as the Netherlands and Sweden.

I know this is a difficult topic, and likely to be much more divisive than the gay marriage referendum, but we've shown courage in confronting a difficiult issue and I for one hope we retain that going forward.
    We're on the same page with that-was chatting with a pal an hour ago in the UK and that topic came up. Yep, I'd support another abortion referendum where a woman's right to choose is constitutionally protected.
    Re Carey, he was quite emotional, and as a teenager in the 80s, I have been wrestling with emotions ranging from elation to tremendous sadness over the last 3 days, and I know that other gay people of my age and older are experiencing exactly the same thing. I think it's a realisation of the fear and shame we experienced, and alot of other stuff as we were sidelined , all of which was buried and is just now surfacing as we realise how far we have come, and I saw it in Brian Sheehan's face on TV too-it's a very powerful feeling, so give Carey a little space.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 JakeZak

This country no longer deserves my citizenship.What a pathetic country it has now shown itself to be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JakeZak wrote: »
    This country no longer deserves my citizenship.What a pathetic country it has now shown itself to be.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

What other languages do you speak? As you're going to run out of options fairly sharpish when Australia's inevitable legalisation occurs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Thanks for registering just to post that. You'll be missed.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 JakeZak

Sad Sad Day. To be an equal citizen,one needs to be a normal citizen first

Does democracy disappoint you? Not sure what country you will take yourself off to in that event.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sad Sad Day. To be an equal citizen,one needs to be a normal citizen first

Do you really think you'd be allowed spoil a momentous day like today with this sort of crap? Back under your bridge troll.

As for everyone else, I'm sure you enjoyed today even more than I did, and I've had a big smile on my face all day long. It's nice to be able to say that I was one of over 1.2m who helped good prevail today. Individually our votes are insignificant, but together we made history. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Welcome to equality all. You now can be as happy (or miserable) in marriage as the rest of us. It's just a pity that your lives were put on public display probably causing a lot of pain and anguish. On the good side everyone is now constitutionally protected. Hope everyone enjoys the party. I genuinely was quite emotional at times today seeing how much it meant. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Fantastic vibe in town all day. Couldn't not spend the day there for this once in a lifetime event. 99% of people very positive. And many very emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

It was all worth it. After all the debates where all manner of things were said, after all those brilliant people who went knocking on doors and got mixed responses, after all the knots in the stomach, it has passed. On Friday our neighbours, our communities - having listened to the debates and discussions and having deftly avoided the red herrings that were being flung left, right and centre - went to the polling booths and in massive numbers placed an X in the Yes box. This morning we can say that maybe we were foolish to doubt them.

To all who did anything in the campaign Maith Thú. I didn't canvass but spent the most draining two hours the week before polling having a conversation with four people trying to convince one that was undecided. After that I have to say that my admiration for the campaign teams was magnified ten fold.

My highlight yesterday was seeing some of the tallies from my home county. One was from the next parish, rural and a 57% yes vote. Another where there's a small village and 63% yes. I'll admit I cried a bit. The great change did not come yesterday, it has been there a while, it was just that many of us hadn't seen it.

Last night the atmosphere in town was great, a relief I thought rather than euphoria around where we were. We left early so maybe it kicked off after the Eurovision!!!!!

Anyway this is my last contribution to the discussion. A new Ireland for LGBT has dawned, much to be done not least Section 37, but from now I look forward to treading with a lighter trod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

How is everyone after the weekend?

I didn't go out or anything, just sat next to my civil partner (soon to be wife!) glued to the count on RTE and coverage from the George all day Saturday, shed a few tears and then settled in to watch Eurovision. For the first time in my life I was falling asleep before the end of it. I had a disco nap on Sunday too, obviously the strain of the last few weeks caught up with me.

This morning has been a bit surreal. It's the first Monday of my life where I've walked into work and thought "I'm now equal to all of you". Some of my colleagues have congratulated me on the result (as if I did it myself), some have already forgotten it happened, and all of them have carried on as if it's no big thing. But it is. It's huge! I still feel like the whole country has wrapped me up in a big wooly blanket and said "We accept you". It's amazing!

So what do we do with all these "Yes Equality" badges now?! I don't think I could bring myself to throw them away. Would it be odd to keep wearing them for a while? Honestly I think seeing so many people wraring these badges gave me more of a lift than the actual referendum result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Aard wrote: »
    So what do we do with all these "Yes Equality" badges now?! I don't think I could bring myself to throw them away. Would it be odd to keep wearing them for a while? Honestly I think seeing so many people wraring these badges gave me more of a lift than the actual referendum result!
    Keep them! I'll be keeping the sticker in my car window until I sell it (which will be years down the line). I think I'm going to move my Tá badge onto my bag. And I'd like to dig out my old scrapbook (which I haven't touched in about five years) to put my Yes sticker into.

I don't think it would be weird to still wear the badges. It's just celebrating a great result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Went out for an early morning jog before work today & couldn't resist picking up a souvenir!

97jgap.jpg

Have to say I'm surprised how emotional I've found it all, anytime I hear people interviewed saying how it's going to enhance their lives, find myself having to give the old eyes a wipe :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

That was an exhausting couple of weeks but glad I put my all into it

Daith wrote: »
    That was an exhausting couple of weeks but glad I put my all into it

Everyone who campaigned deserves huge credit. Some people were out every day, and organised canvassing such that nowhere was canvassed twice. These guys and gals can't get enough praise!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Does anyone know where I can get detailed results on the referendum? Smaller than the electorate areas I mean. Someone showed me a picture of my local area by polling station and it was quite depressing (though not really surprising), 75% no at one of them was the worst. I just want to look it up myself to see if it's actually true as I'm not sure where they got such detailed stats from.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get detailed results on the referendum? Smaller than the electorate areas I mean. Someone showed me a picture of my local area by polling station and it was quite depressing (though not really surprising), 75% no at one of them was the worst. I just want to look it up myself to see if it's actually true as I'm not sure where they got such detailed stats from.

They're normally from tallies which may be wrong. Any particular area?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Afaik, they don't maintain per-station counts, only constituency counts.

Tallymen do counts by station, but primarily because they tally based on the boxes. I'm not sure if they record that data anywhere though, their primary function is to provide the media and politicians with early data. Their sheets are probably shredded at the end of the day.

seamus wrote: »

Tallymen do counts by station, but primarily because they tally based on the boxes. I'm not sure if they record that data anywhere though, their primary function is to provide the media and politicians with early data. Their sheets are probably shredded at the end of the day.

Some of the tally people were putting stuff on spreadsheets. I know I was letting other people know for my area.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Daith wrote: »
    They're normally from tallies which may be wrong. Any particular area?

That could be it then, it's a small rural area so possible the tallies were passed around a bit. Achill Island was the area, this is the pic I was shown:

xuhIoLh.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Arranmore voted yes - bridges are bad for you, clearly :pac;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A lot of them keep the data electronically

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement