Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outrageous Sexual Assuault

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Am only one Surprised with the sensationlist thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I opened this thread thinking the guy maybe hugged a girl and got done for sexual assault or something like that.
    FFS ,he groped her arse and boobs,stuck his head into her lap and tried to climb on top of her.
    Clear sexual assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

All women should stop having such lovely bottoms and these red blooded males won't know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

6541 wrote: »
    This is all very one sided. The guy got locked, the guy did what most normal guys do after beer (except of course some of the angles here) and he was brought to court. She must be some wagon. He should have done her for assault, she elbowed him in the stomach.

She should have elbowed him in the balls, twice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

"Look, a man can make an honest mistake!! Anyway, she was asking for it!
    They're all asking for it all the time!!"

- John ~ Airplane II (1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,102 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

OP.. In all honesty, would you have a different opinion if it had been your sister/mum/girlfriend who was at the receiving end of this man's advances on a work related night out (or any night out)?

In response as to how you are supposed to get a ride?
    Well, maybe try and take the lady on a date and treat her with respect and courtesy and not a piece of meat as I see to be the case in this story.
    Pity she only elbowed him. I'd have put my knee in his jewels..with force..

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

The most important lesson that we can learn from this episode is that we should be free to express our outrage one way or another on some imagined construction of events that we were not there to witness based on brief newspaper reports of a trial that we were not present at.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Gatling wrote: »
    Am only one Surprised with the sensationlist thread title

I think the OP's thread title is right - it was an outrageous sexual assualt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

If twenty girls receive unwelcome groping in coppers every night (conservative estimate) and coppers only closes 2 nights a year....that means there are 7,260 sexual assaults in coppers annual. ..how is this place allowed to keep trading???
    Bit of a difference when it's a stranger as opposed to a work colleague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

She told him to go away and he continued. I don't see the outrage about him being done

I dunno - in THEORY - I agree with you 100%.

In practice my first serious girlfriend was a girl that I approached in a cafeteria and she told me to 'Go away'. Only I didn't. She ended up giving me her phone number. We went out. We dated for FOUR YEARS.

Even worse is the 'no means no' thing when it comes to actual sex. I realize how this post is going to make me sound. So let me just say that I'm a very upstanding sort of guy. I was raised with three sisters and I'm all for women being treated with respect. I would never force someone to do something they didn't want to do. Almost every girl I've messed around with physically either was or would soon be a long-term girlfriend of mine. I never have had a one night stand, and with the exception of one, I remained on good terms with every girl I dated.

Still, there were PLENTY of times when a girl and I getting physical, and I'd try to progress things to the next logical step, and she'd protest *slightly*. 'Ummm, no, we probably shouldn't.' And I'd back off and continue whatever it was that we were doing. Then 10 minutes later, I'd try the same thing again, and she'd be totally cool. I even remember saying, 'Are you sure?' and she said, 'Yes'. The same girl that, just 10 minutes earlier told me to stop, now is saying yes.

I've seen surveys that report something like 70% of women admit to saying 'No' at some point in their life when they actually wanted the guy to continue. Reasons given are what you'd expect, they don't want to seem easy or sluty, or that they want to make the guy want it more.

In the end, it's very, very confusing.

The article is pretty light on details, so it's hard to say much about this particular example. I'd like to assume the guy committed a crime and the legal system got it right. But it's really hard to say that every person who is told to go away, but doesn't, is a criminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

6541 wrote: »
    Its madness, he is on a work night out gets drunk and has a feel, he is then landed in court. Most red blooded males do this, admit it !

Speak for your fcuking self.

vicwatson wrote: »
    I think the OP's thread title is right - it was an outrageous sexual assualt.

Apparently not enough to even be registered as a sex offender ,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Bit of a difference when it's a stranger as opposed to a work colleague.

Post was somewhat tongue in cheek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

UCDVet wrote: »
    I've seen surveys that report something like 70% of women admit to saying 'No' at some point in their life when they actually wanted the guy to continue. Reasons given are what you'd expect, they don't want to seem easy or sluty, or that they want to make the guy want it more.

Now then.

Did you keep a copy of links to those potentially useful surveys?

/raises eyebrows

/courtroom goes silent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I dunno - in THEORY - I agree with you 100%.

In practice my first serious girlfriend was a girl that I approached in a cafeteria and she told me to 'Go away'. Only I didn't. She ended up giving me her phone number. We went out. We dated for FOUR YEARS.

Even worse is the 'no means no' thing when it comes to actual sex. I realize how this post is going to make me sound. So let me just say that I'm a very upstanding sort of guy. I was raised with three sisters and I'm all for women being treated with respect. I would never force someone to do something they didn't want to do. Almost every girl I've messed around with physically either was or would soon be a long-term girlfriend of mine. I never have had a one night stand, and with the exception of one, I remained on good terms with every girl I dated.

Still, there were PLENTY of times when a girl and I getting physical, and I'd try to progress things to the next logical step, and she'd protest *slightly*. 'Ummm, no, we probably shouldn't.' And I'd back off and continue whatever it was that we were doing. Then 10 minutes later, I'd try the same thing again, and she'd be totally cool. I even remember saying, 'Are you sure?' and she said, 'Yes'. The same girl that, just 10 minutes earlier told me to stop, now is saying yes.

In the end, it's very, very confusing.

The article is pretty light on details, so it's hard to say much about this particular example. I'd like to assume the guy committed a crime and the legal system got it right. But it's really hard to say that every person who is told to go away, but doesn't, is a criminal.

Most people can tell the difference. Thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Poster be fishing, they be hooking.

Now then.

Did you keep a copy of links to those potentially useful surveys?

/raises eyebrows

/courtroom goes silent

I generally don't keep a link to every survey I've ever read about. Do you? Personally, as I'm married, this isn't a topic that's particularly relevant to me.

Still - rather than give you unverified 'random facts' type websites - here is an academic paper http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3379584
    We found that 39.3% of the women had engaged in token resistance at least once

This was a survey of 610 college students (ie - fairly young women). That might partially account for why the number isn't as high as the 70% I vaguely remember reading.

Still - 40% is hell of a lot higher than 0%.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Apparently not enough to even be registered as a sex offender ,

Are you saying you think he deserves to be put on the sex offenders register?

I think we should keep that for more serious offenders tbh...

Are you saying you think he deserves to be put on the sex offenders register?

I think we should keep that for more serious offenders tbh...

Yes he committed a sexual based crime so yes he deserves to be put on the register

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Yes he committed a sexual based crime so yes he deserves to be put on the register

Being on the sex offenders list ruins peoples' lives.

Do you think his crime here deserves that punishment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Simple. Do not touch unless invited. Even a solicitor should be capable of apprehending that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

Lol. Not that I am a boisterous drunk but seriously? He was basically trying it on. These cases will get more and more touching. Eventually a had on a knee will be assault.

This new Puritanism is going to end up with 19th century morality once again. Sex after marriage. No drunken sex ( so very little or no sex), fear of being a sex offender of trying it on.

Lots of virgins. I guess though that men will just run a mile from feminists

jimgoose wrote: »
    Simple. Do not touch unless invited. Even a solicitor should be capable if apprehending that.

That used to be a "pass". It was how people got together.

Simple. Do not touch unless invited. Even a solicitor should be capable if apprehending that.

In theory - I totally agree with you.
    In practice - it just won't work. Half of us would die virgins waiting for invitations that never come.

Beyond that - at lot of people would find an unwelcome invitation a form of sexual assault. If I went around and invited every attractive girl I saw to have sex with me, well, I'd be lucky if all I got was a slap or two.

In theory - I totally agree with you.
    In practice - it just won't work. Half of us would die virgins waiting for invitations that never come.

Beyond that - at lot of people would find an unwelcome invitation a form of sexual assault. If I went around and invited every attractive girl I saw to have sex with me, well, I'd be lucky if all I got was a slap or two.

Yeah. Assault would depend on your attractiveness to the person propositioned. If you aren't then it's assault. Otherwise you get laid.

Tough call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I asked a girl down the pub last night if there was any chance of a wee feel.
    She says, 'if you play your cards right you can have the whole farm.'

That used to be a "pass". It was how people got together.

I know how people get together. And a half-educated fool with too much money who is so irresistably attractive that he has to get a shot into the gut is probably better off not reproducing.

Must tell that to all those people to tap me on the arm to get my attention or the women who touch me when I make them laugh.

And people who greet with hugs! Seriously though, I do not like when people I don't know, barely know or happen to work with, give me a hug.

Joking aside, I don't think anyone has ever ASKED if they could hug me.

Must tell that to all those people who tap me on the arm to get my attention or the women who touch me when I make them laugh.

You know well what this is about. If I have explain it in excruciating detail you're as highly-skilled as the ho-biy in the article.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Assault would depend on your attractiveness to the person propositioned. If you aren't then it's assault. Otherwise you get laid.

Tough call.

Sadly, I'm not very attractive :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement