Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC & McGregor etc fake or real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

seamus wrote: »
    WWE is entertainers dancing around, watched by children.

UFC is animals brawling, watched by animals.

WWE performers are dancing around.

Everyone knows it's scripted. Doesn't mean the stuff they do doesn't take a toll. Many of them end up in wheelchairs or have broken necks. Also has people like Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle in it, two bonifide real fighters, one is a 2 time NCAA Amateur Wrestling Champion and UFC Champion while the other is an Olympic Gold Medalist.

WWE is watched by children.

The current WWE audience by age looks like this – 22% is between the ages of 2-17, 23% is between the ages of 18-34, 26% is between the ages of 35-49 and 30% is age 50 or older. - Bleacher Report 2012

UFC stars are animals.

I guess that makes Olympians animals too? Dan Henderson, Randy Couture, Dan Severn, Ronda Rousey. George St Pierre is an avid chess player and paleontology enthusiast. Rich Franklin has a degree in Maths and a Masters in Education. Mirko Cro Cop was elected to the Croatian Parliament.

UFC is watched by animals.

It's watched by everyone including teachers, policemen, housewives, solicitors, everyone really.

Care to address these points Seamus?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

100% fake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Wouldnt last 10 mins at the Square/Park Street in Dundalk on a Friday night! FACT!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Does boxing get this much hatred from people on here? Katie Taylor was the goddess of boards not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

K4t wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the ugly side alright and it's why I'll always be a boxing fan myself. I just can't ever wrap my head around the punching/kicking someone on the ground activity for sport/entertainment and hopefully never will.

Explain how many boxers have been left with permanent brain injuries and yet in nearly 25+ years MMA has had no major incidents , bar the few broken arms and legs ,
    I'd much rather MMA over boxing after watching a fight from the 90 ' s where a boxer took 20+ consecutive punches to head while not been able to raise his hands to defend himself and the ref allowed the fight to continue for another few minutes ,
    Where in MMA as soon as you can't defend your self or gets knocked out the ref will litteally dive in to protect the downed or injured fighter .

Anybody who thinks UFC/MMA is fake go watch

Griffin vs bonnar and then say it's fake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I always assumed it was real. Didn't see much of the fights. But a sports reporter said on radio yesterday evening that it was fake. He wasn't a fan. Then I see this thread.

I cannot remember the name of the reporter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Omackeral wrote: »
    Does boxing get this much hatred from people on here? Katie Taylor was the goddess of boards not so long ago.
    If people are only watching MMA because of McGregor it's not too surprising that it might come off in a bad light, people need to be exposed to the likes of GSP, Stann, Fyodor, Sakuraba etc

And the fighting sure aint fake, the cringey trash talk and the biased matchmaking maybe, but the fighting? Nope

If people are only watching MMA because of McGregor it's not too surprising that it might come off in a bad light, people need to be exposed to the likes of GSP, Stann, Fyodor, Sakuraba etc

Royce Gracie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

It's amazing how touchy the fans of WWUFC tend to be.

I very much doubt that fans of any real sport would be quite so defensive.

I wonder why that is................

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

WWE maybe scripted but the wrestlers are for the most part just as physically fit as UFC fighters. In WWE you spend over 300 days a year wrestling, travelling and promoting the company whilst injured alot of times with no rest.
    UFC used to be no holds barred until people like John McCain tried to remove it and labelled it as human cockfighting. Is it fake? No. Do both companies use steroids regularly? No as they both are regularly tested but like all sports there are those who think they can cheat and are rightly punished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

seamus wrote: »
    WWE is entertainers dancing around, watched by children.

UFC is animals brawling, watched by animals.
    WWE is a game for scoundrels, played by gentlemen. UFC is a game for gentlemen played by scoundrels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Gatling wrote: »
    Explain how many boxers have been left with permanent brain injuries and yet in nearly 25+ years MMA has had no major incidents , bar the few broken arms and legs ,
    I'd much rather MMA over boxing after watching a fight from the 90 ' s where a boxer took 20+ consecutive punches to head while not been able to raise his hands to defend himself and the ref allowed the fight to continue for another few minutes ,
    Where in MMA ad soon as you can't defend your self or gets knocked out the ref will litteally dive in to protect the downed or injured fighter .

Anybody who thinks UFC/MMA is fake go watch

Griffin vs bonnar and then say it's fake
    Same as boxing so...

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/mma/story?storyId=10690370&src=desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Head to you nearest MMA gym for a few sessions. If the amateurs are faking it then the pros must be too. Report back with pictures.

Same as boxing so...

No it's not Mohammed Ali is a perfect example he fought while in no fit state to defend himself in his last fight ,

MMA is 1000% safer compared to boxing

I'd send my kids to learn MMA over boxing any day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Is it rigged? No, Dana White doesnt tell people who to loss to or who is this months champion.

How do you know for sure though? Obviously the sport is real but Dana White comes across as one of the slimiest mofo's you could ever meet. I would not have blind faith in his morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

smcgiff wrote: »
    I always assumed it was real. Didn't see much of the fights. But a sports reporter said on radio yesterday evening that it was fake. He wasn't a fan. Then I see this thread.

I cannot remember the name of the reporter.
    It's as fake as professional boxing. It's full contact martial arts. Those lads are feeling every shot.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    How do you know for sure though? Obviously the sport is real but Dana White comes across as one of the slimiest mofo's you could ever meet. I would not have blind faith in his morals.

Based off what exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Royce Gracie
    Gentleman.

Which boxing match are you referring to there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Everyone knows it's scripted. Doesn't mean the stuff they do doesn't take a toll. Many of them end up in wheelchairs or have broken necks.
    As do kids who emulate it .
    Also has people like Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle in it, two bonifide real fighters, one is a 2 time NCAA Amateur Wrestling Champion and UFC Champion while the other is an Olympic Gold Medalist.
    Mike Tyson also if I remember correctly. Still fake.
    The current WWE audience by age looks like this – 22% is between the ages of 2-17, 23% is between the ages of 18-34, 26% is between the ages of 35-49 and 30% is age 50 or older. - Bleacher Report 2012
    Big kids..
    I guess that makes Olympians animals too? Dan Henderson, Randy Couture, Dan Severn, Ronda Rousey. George St Pierre is an avid chess player and paleontology enthusiast. Rich Franklin has a degree in Maths and a Masters in Education. Mirko Cro Cop was elected to the Croatian Parliament.
    Animals come in all shapes and forms. Not that I agree with Seamus that only 'animals' partake or watch the sport, which would be like saying only hooligans watch football. However, there is something very animalistic about ufc and it appeals to our more violent nature. Personally I have no interest in it as I've already said, but I can see the possible appeal and who am I to judge how people spend their time so long as it does not impact on others.
    It's watched by everyone including teachers, policemen, housewives, solicitors, everyone really.
    I don't see how that is vindication for anything except their right to view ufc.
    Boxing is far more skilled imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No it's not Mohammed Ali is a perfect example he fought while in no fit state to defend himself in his last fight

And if UFC was around back then they would have had the common sense and greater knowledge of brain injuries we have today???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I very much doubt that fans of any real sport would be quite so defensive.

Never spoke to a Liverpool fan then?

Based off what exactly

Based off my opinion.

The butthurt here from UFC fans is quite amusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Boxing is far more skilled imo.

Go on.....Id love to hear this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Where in MMA as soon as you can't defend your self or gets knocked out the ref will litteally dive in to protect the downed or injured fighter.
    You've answered your own question in that post. Ufc was not around in the 90s. Obviously it is regulated far better than boxing was 20 years ago, as too is boxing.

You've answered your own question in that post. Ufc was not around in the 90s. Obviously it is regulated far better than boxing was 20 years ago, as too is boxing.

UFC 1 took place in 1993

MMA has been around since bruce Lee essentially started the introduction of mixing martial arts in the 60 ' s and 70's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It is definitely real but I think it is a fair question to ask. UFC have borrowed massively from WWE in terms of how to promote cards, build fights and sell PPVs. For whatever else you can say about wrestling and WWE in particular no company is more of an expert in hype, promotion and production than WWE is so it isn't a surprise that UFC - who target the same demographic as WWE does - have taken the decision to steal from the best.

When the match starts though it is definitely real.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah it was. Don't you remember when Monica's rich boyfriend tried to become the UFC Champion? :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The sport is MMA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

All the drug testing is handled by Athletic Commissions. The UFC only organises it when there is no commission (which isnt ideal but better then letting it run free)

Giant thread of ignorance and lies going on here

No I have not said they dont test I have said they dont test as strignintly as other sports and theres a lack of transparency they have not signed up to the WADA code for testing which is fairly widely regarded as amongst the most stringent codes the same could be said of the GAA for instance but its still a lack of transparency

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement