Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC & McGregor etc fake or real?

Options
  • 20-01-2015 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't actually watched any of McGregors fights but have seen plenty of YouTube clips on his fights and KO's etc etc. Is the whole UFC thing real or just an act like in WWF and the wrestling that used to be on TV when I was young with Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy?

I seen one of his recent knock outs and it looked like a bitch slap knocked out the ither fighter and when McGregor went down to finish him off it looked like he was glancing off his head with the back of his hand.

So knowledgeable AHers (I know that excludes the vast majority who frequent this forum) but Real or Fake???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Why don't you walk into SBG and ask them there? I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

I haven't actually watched any of McGregors fights but have seen plenty of YouTube clips on his fights and KO's etc etc. Is the whole UFC thing real or just an act like in WWF and the wrestling that used to be on TV when I was young with Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy?

I seen one of his recent knock outs and it looked like a bitch slap knocked out the ither fighter and when McGregor went down to finish him off it looked like he was glancing off his head with the back of his hand.

So knowledgeable AHers (I know that excludes the vast majority who frequent this forum) but Real or Fake???

Have you ever taken a hammer fist to the back of the head off of a professional fighter? Someone that has to try really hard to make the weight he is at and has a minute amount of body fat, just muscle.

Think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

It's a real sport for fake people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Have you seen his ears and nose?

I wouldn't think you get them by bitch slapping each other.

Or did he?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So much wrong with this tripe. It's been called WWE since 2002. When it was WWF, Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy were never in it. They were on World of Sport in the UK. Your ignorance is showing right off the bat.

Secondly, I'd like to see you take a 'bitch slap' from any UFC fighter and walk it off. You also probably think they just roll around on the ground and hug. Cop on. If you're going to argue something, at least look like you know what you're on about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i was undecided but the more i see UFC the more like WWF (WWE?) it seems to me...

but then i liked WWF (WWE) anyways real or fake...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Omackeral wrote: »
    So much wrong with this tripe. It's been called WWE since 2002. When it was WWF, Giant Haystacks and Big Daddy were never in it. They were on World of Sport in the UK. Your ignorance is showing right off the bat.

Secondly, I'd like to see you take a 'bitch slap' from any UFC fighter and walk it off. You also probably think they just roll around on the ground and hug. Cop on. If you're going to argue something, at least look like you know what you're on about.

So you don't actually know. Thanks for avoiding the question.

My ignorance is the reason I asked, why are you getting so defensive? I asked a question to which you don't know the answer to and you get all defensive. Go away and pick your fights elsewhere.
    Luke92 wrote: »
    Have you ever taken a hammer fist to the back of the head off of a professional fighter? Someone that has to try really hard to make the weight he is at and has a minute amount of body fat, just muscle.

Think about that.

You don't know either. Thanks for not answering the question.

Why are people getting so upset?

I have no clue about this sport snd I asked a simple question, is it fake or real. If you don't know then that's fine but don't have a go at me for not knowing the difference between WWF or WWE or whatever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Local man thinks wrestling is real

It doesn't deserve a response in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Jesus wept this is getting tiresome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

He clearly said WWF, and the wrestling he watched as a kid. He didn't say GH & BD were in WWF. Your ignorance is even worse.

Actually Giant Haystacks was in WCW too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Is it too early for popcorn?

My ignorance is the reason I asked, why are you getting so defensive? I asked a question to which you don't know the answer to and you get all defensive. Go away and pick your fights elsewhere.

Yeah, it's fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

It's just a more extreme form of wrestling. Selling a product to a largely male audience, the majority of whom don't appear to be prime examples of athleticism themselves. Seems to sate their bloodlust though. Very effective marketing though. They've taken a vicious and frightfully dull sport and made an industry out of it. The shareholders are happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭elefant

Yeah, it's fake.

VIDEO

And people have died performing in the WWF/WWE. Does that mean it's real?
    Obviously it's 'real life', so people can get hurt. A guy breaking his leg by accident doesn't mean it's real fighting though.

Not saying I don't believe they're actually fighting in UFC, but you could at least try and give a useful answer to the guy's question if you're going to bother at all.

Yeah, it's fake.

Injuries like that happen in pro wrestling too. The scripted or non-scripted nature doesn't directly relate to levels of injuries.

It's just a more extreme form of wrestling. Selling a product to a largely male audience, the majority of whom don't appear to be prime examples of athleticism themselves. Seems to sate their bloodlust though. Very effective marketing though. They've taken a vicious and frightfully dull sport and made an industry out of it. The shareholders are happy!

So that would day to me that's its a stage show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

He's coming across as a real jabroni. You just made him humble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

He's coming across as a real jabroni. You just made him humble.

You keep using this word.. and, it's awesome.

• Advertisement

Is no one able to say 'yes this is real fighting, no holds barred and they really are beating the heads/legs if each other'???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

It's real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Who cares?
    I'm sure much of it is probably rigged.

I've never come across anyone in real life who has the slightest interest in this peculiar form of thuggery masquerading as sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I can see this being closed like the one yesterday but I'll give my opinion before that happens.

I've never trained in MMA but I have done a little kickboxing. A kick or punch to the side or back of the head can really wobble you and if you're already off balance there's a good chance you'll go down.

It doesn't look fake to me, some people get fairly messed up at it. Look at the power behind most of the kicks/punches, nothing fake about that. The submission holds look a bit more real and convincing than in WWE too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Don't watch it but from what I've seen on the occasional random vid it looks real to me, especially with the frequent injuries and blood... :o

Ok I though this was obvious as sin but maybe it's not. The UFC is competition for Mixed Martial Artists (MMA) to face off in proper contests. They have extensive backgrounds in real fighting disciplines such as Jiu Jitsu, Kempo, Boxing and Amateur Wrestling. It's all 100% real and has boasted Olympians and prize fighters. Some of the promos and hype have been borrowed from the world of WWE et al to drum up business for the shows but once they get in the cage, known as the Octagon, it's all legit.

As for taking a bitch slap and going down, if you're smacked in the temple by a fighter in his prime, it disorientates the life out of you.

In short, it's real. It's damn real.

The trash talking isn't as good in the UFC though, in my opinion.

Disregard the leg break video, that was perhaps not as relevant to the argument as I thought. This should be more on point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I'm not an avid viewer nor an expert but it looks real enough to me.

I have to wonder though why is it that when a fellow Irish person starts to do well at something the rest of us feel the need to see something not quite right in it or start calling the person cocky or an embarrassment etc.

Why is it so hard for us just to celebrate one of our own doing well?

• Advertisement

I'm not an avid viewer nor an expert but it looks real enough to me.

I have to wonder though why is it that when a fellow Irish person starts to do well at something the rest of us feel the need to see something not quite right in it or start calling the person cocky or an embarrassment etc.

Why is it so hard for us just to celebrate one of our own doing well?

I, for one, am very proud of Sheamus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement