Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC & McGregor etc fake or real?

Options

Comments

So knowledgeable AHers (I know that excludes the vast majority who frequent this forum)

Yes, because insulting the posters of AH is the best way to get answers to your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

How could anyone think it's fake? Is it people who grew up watching WWE, which is basically a panto performed by muscled men, that have difficulty with real versus fake combat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm not an avid viewer nor an expert but it looks real enough to me.

I have to wonder though why is it that when a fellow Irish person starts to do well at something the rest of us feel the need to see something not quite right in it or start calling the person cocky or an embarrassment etc.

Why is it so hard for us just to celebrate one of our own doing well?

I couldn't agree more. My friend hates him because of his cocky attitude but I'm pretty sure that's not the reason. In sure it's because an Irishman is making it big and being a success on the world stage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Wrestling is real to me, dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Nothing fake about MMA. Extremely tough sport with extremely disciplined athletes. However, I don't really believe the hype with McGregor. Plus he has a serious mouth on him and he can be cringy as fcuk with his oirish schtick.

I'd much prefer to see Joseph Duffy doing well, who's just been signed to UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

It's obviously real. What a completely stupid question to ask. I'm gonna open up a "is the world round" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

MarkY91 wrote: »

I couldn't agree more. My friend hates him because of his cocky attitude but I'm pretty sure that's not the reason. In sure it's because an Irishman is making it big and being a success on the world stage
    I'm with your friend. Please don't judge me too as I couldn't care less if he somehow became president of the US.

It's not fake, it's just quite boring most of the time which is made up for by the violent nature of the sport. Though obviously if you do mma yourself you won't find it as boring as the neutral viewer, like most sports. Personally, I don't feel it is even close to the same skill levels required for boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not a fan of McGregor politicking his way to a title shot...hopefully he's made do the job for Aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

WWE is entertainers dancing around, watched by children.

UFC is animals brawling, watched by animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I'd much prefer to see Joseph Duffy doing well, who's just been signed to UFC.

Who wouldn't pay good money to see Joe Duffy in the cage? After he finishes them off he can say ''Good afternoon t' you''. G'wan the Ballyfermot Bruiser.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    WWE is entertainers dancing around, watched by children.

UFC is animals brawling, watched by animals.

Of all the ignorance in the thread, this is the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Omackeral wrote: »
    Of all the ignorance in the thread, this is the worst.

Same posters are probably up in arms when The rubberbandits generalise about boards users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

MarkY91 wrote: »

It's far more likely your friend hates him because he come across as a complete @rsehole in interviews.

The self-hating Irishman narrative is just a lazy and inaccurate stereotype to try and dismiss these justifiable views.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Wasn't there a thread like this locked just yesterday?

Anyway, UFC is obviously real.

Oh no, UFC fighters are highly disciplined and respectful sportspeople. I didn't just watch a UFC fighter punching an unconscious man in the head while he lay on the ground :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm calling shenanigans on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Yes, it is real.
    Is it rigged? No, Dana White doesnt tell people who to loss to or who is this months champion.
    Can it be rigged? Of course, much like boxing anyone can take a dive and lump money on the other guy to win if they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Oh no, UFC fighters are highly disciplined and respectful sportspeople. I didn't just watch a UFC fighter punching an unconscious man in the head while he lay on the ground :rolleyes:
    Yeah, that's the ugly side alright and it's why I'll always be a boxing fan myself. I just can't ever wrap my head around the punching/kicking someone on the ground activity for sport/entertainment and hopefully never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I watched Kingdom last week a US tv drama centered around a MMA gym in California and it was pretty real.....oh no wait....was good though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

There is another elament which kind of adds to a lack of cerdibility for the UFC and thats Dana White - because its effectively run as a private entity its not as transparent as other sports are in terms of doping.

He also chooses the match ups, who gets a shot at the title - Mcgregor while good, is in Whites good books and it could be said hes had a fast tracked path to his title shot, probably becaus hes a loud mouth and puts bums on seats and in all honestly is a great marketing tool for UFC, white sees that and yes thus far Mcgregor has been able to back his mouth up maby he will win that titlwe shot I dont know.

My point is though UFC its not a sport regulated and policed like most other sports. MMA in general perhaps but not UFC.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by Seamus

WWE performers are dancing around.

Everyone knows it's scripted. Doesn't mean the stuff they do doesn't take a toll. Many of them end up in wheelchairs or have broken necks. Also has people like Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle in it, two bonifide real fighters, one is a 2 time NCAA Amateur Wrestling Champion and UFC Champion while the other is an Olympic Gold Medalist.
    WWE is watched by children.

The current WWE audience by age looks like this – 22% is between the ages of 2-17, 23% is between the ages of 18-34, 26% is between the ages of 35-49 and 30% is age 50 or older. - Bleacher Report 2012
    UFC stars are animals.

I guess that makes Olympians animals too? Dan Henderson, Randy Couture, Dan Severn, Ronda Rousey. George St Pierre is an avid chess player and paleontology enthusiast. Rich Franklin has a degree in Maths and a Masters in Education. Mirko Cro Cop was elected to the Croatian Parliament.
    UFC is watched by animals.

It's watched by everyone including teachers, policemen, housewives, solicitors, everyone really.

Weak post from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

nelly17 wrote: »
    There is another elament which kind of adds to a lack of cerdibility for the UFC and thats Dana White - because its effectively run as a private entity its not as transparent as other sports are in terms of doping.

All the drug testing is handled by Athletic Commissions. The UFC only organises it when there is no commission (which isnt ideal but better then letting it run free)

Giant thread of ignorance and lies going on here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Some do, some don't. Sometimes guys are not fully out. It's up to the ref to stop a fight, not the fighter.

Blanket statements like yours are certainly wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I see very little sporting about a roided-up knucklehead kick another man in the face for the amusement of a baying crowd. It's just thuggery and violence packaged up in an acceptable format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Omackeral wrote: »

It's watched by everyone including teachers, policemen, housewives, solicitors, everyone really.

The kind of people who are into watching it, I would imagine, are the same kind of people who get off on watching beheading videos on the internet.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Some do, some don't. Sometimes guys are not fully out. It's up to the ref to stop a fight, not the fighter.
    Well that's kind of my point, "I'm just going to keep hammering on this guy until somebody stops me.". Not exactly disciplined or honourable, is it? If it was a real sport, you would lose the match for that kind of conduct, and possibly be banned from competing.

Look, I'm all for people voluntarily getting into a ring and beating lumps out of eachother. Better there than beating up some poor innocent guy in a pub.

But the people trying to pretend that it's anything more than formal brawling with discipline and honour up there with the martial arts, is deluding themselves. UFC started out with a "no rules" ethos, and while that's been moved on from, it built its fanbase and competitors from people who wanted to see and participate in animalistic brawls rather than watch a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's obviously real. What a completely stupid question to ask. I'm gonna open up a "is the world round" thread.

How is it obvious? If it were obvious I wouldn't have asked.

I still cant understand why people are so sensitive about this subject!

I like McGregor, I like his cockiness and I wish I was as fit and disciplined as he is but I genuinely didn't know if the whole thing was staged or genuine fighting.

I'm sorry to all the people who have become upset and resorted to calling me stupid or ignorant because I asked a question I didn't know the answer to. I didn't realise you all were so sensitive and easily upset by such a simple thing. I will try to be more aware of your sensitivity in future.

The kind of people who are into watching it, I would imagine, are the same kind of people who get off on watching beheading videos on the internet.

Well that explains that. Idiotic statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I wonder how long this UFC thread will stay open for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Well that's kind of my point, "I'm just going to keep hammering on this guy until somebody stops me.". Not exactly disciplined or honourable, is it?

Look, I'm all for people getting into a ring and beating lumps out of eachother. Better there than beating up some poor innocent guy in a pub.

But the people trying to pretend that it's anything more than formal brawling with discipline and honour up there with the martial arts, is deluding themselves. UFC started out with a "no rules" ethos, and while that's been moved on from, it built its fanbase and competitors from people who wanted to see and participate in animalistic brawls rather than watch a sport.

Yes in fact it is disciplined. They train to fight till the ref intervenes, that is how the sport is governed. Also, did it not register to you that sometimes fighters don't follow up after they believe the guy is done(sometimes to their detriment).

Honourable? I'm not sure what you mean there, it's a sport, with rules and everyone knows what's up so yes, it would be honourable in that regard.

Look, you sound like somebody on the Joe Duffy show or that politician that made those recent gaffs and then a u-turn. I would advise you to watch and read a lot more information on MMA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement