Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 - how's your property search going?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It's difficult with apartments. Certainly I wouldn't look at anything outside of D1/2/3/4 and some areas in D6/7/8. If it's for you to live in though there seems to be houses available a little further back in D7/8 that might be a better investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

dubrov wrote: »
    Is this not standard estate agent junk mail?

They spam you hoping if you do sell they'll get the business.

Property will always be in demand if the price is right

Of course it's junk mail but it tells two things

1. That houses like mine are in high demand (they wouldn't be asking me to consider selling if they didn't think they could sell the house quickly)

2. They have people lined up to buy houses but that no one is selling and quality of available houses is low

In 7 years at the property I've never had such a letter before. So like I said, they aren't asking for a house to sell unless they think they can sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jarmstrong001

ukoda wrote: »

1. That houses like mine are in high demand (they wouldn't be asking me to consider selling if they didn't think they could sell the house quickly)

2. They have people lined up to buy houses but that no one is selling and quality of available houses is low

In 7 years at the property I've never had such a letter before. So like I said, they aren't asking for a house to sell unless they think they can sell it

I've received half a dozen of these in the house I am living in over the last couple of years. I don't think they indicate anything very much, except that there is more competition between EAs now and they are spending a few quid blanket leafleting areas in order to be the EA that gets the business in case anyone does want to sell.
    The house wouldn't be expensive so not much commission for them in it and anything that has sold on the estate since I was living there was up for ages and sold well below asking so I don't think the EA has any specific expectations of having a queue of bidders competing for my particular house just because I got a flyer in the door! Its a very cheap form of advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Certainly I wouldn't look at anything outside of D1/2/3/4 and some areas in D6/7/8.

What would be your reason for avoiding apartments in other areas?

I am looking for a place to live in but that would be easy enough to rent/sell if I need more space in a few years. My priority is to have something fairly new/comfortable in a nice area and decently connected to public transports.

I've seen fairly decent ones in Blackrock which are within short walking distance of the dart, the main streets, and the shopping centers there. Granted they are a bit overpriced, but then everything in the area is. There also seem to be pretty decent ones in Dundrum next to the Ballaly LUAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

I've received half a dozen of these in the house I am living in over the last couple of years. I don't think they indicate anything very much, except that there is more competition between EAs now and they are spending a few quid blanket leafleting areas in order to be the EA that gets the business in case anyone does want to sell.
    The house wouldn't be expensive so not much commission for them in it and anything that has sold on the estate since I was living there was up for ages and sold well below asking so I don't think the EA has any specific expectations of having a queue of bidders competing for my particular house just because I got a flyer in the door! Its a very cheap form of advertising.

3 houses in the estate all sold for over the asking price in the last 6 months from checking the property register. It's no secret that family homes are in high demand in the area. It's more they are desperate for "stock" than desperate for business.

• Advertisement

Ability to rent/sell.

There are some good ones in the areas mentioned but they always struck me as over priced. That said the obsession in the Irish middle-class of living in SCD is not likely to end soon.

It's different strokes for different folks I guess. I'd err on the side of a house in a less desirable area than an apartment in a more desirable one but that's just me. Of course, as indicated above my attitude changes when looking at apartments where they 'should be' in high density areas in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

ukoda wrote: »

An EA's job is to get property on their books and to prevent it going onto their competitor's books. We get mail like this every month or so from two local and competing EA's. It has little relevance to the actual health of the market. I can tell you this because one of the EA's that keeps putting these leaflets in the door is the letting agent for the house so they should know perfectly well it's not for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Ability to rent/sell.

There are some good ones in the areas mentioned but they always struck me as over priced. That said the obsession in the Irish middle-class of living in SCD is not likely to end soon.

It's different strokes for different folks I guess. I'd err on the side of a house in a less desirable area than an apartment in a more desirable one but that's just me. Of course, as indicated above my attitude changes when looking at apartments where they 'should be' in high density areas in the city centre.

Yes exactly, while I realise it is not the most common attitude, for a given budget the comfort of the accommodation and the location are higher on my priority list than having a house. And even then the notion of comfort is not the same for everyone. I have grown up in apartments (in France where it is much more common for families and large apartments with decent storage are readily available) and couldn't care less about having a garden, but of course people with different backgrounds would think not having a garden is the end of the world.

But as you pointed out the question is to know if other people will be interested on the day I decide to rent/sell.

Aye, but an apartment in France is a proper european type partment not the crap we throw up, that said maybe it's different out in the 'burbs.

I think it's a tough call, in my mind that direction had the worse of all worlds when the downturn hit. Prices where badly hit and renting was slightly more difficult than city centre.

TBH I'm not the best authority for that side of Dublin. It doesn't grab me living there but as I say it does for many.

Best of luck with it Bob!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mellowbird

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes exactly, while I realise it is not the most common attitude, for a given budget the comfort of the accommodation and the location are higher on my priority list than having a house.

I agree. That's why I chose a warm well built apartment than a house. A lot of the houses here are old and cold for the same budget. I've rented houses and been to my friend's houses and none are as warm as my relatively new apartment. Also maybe it's just me but as a female who lives alone, living in a house scares me more than an apartment! Perhaps it sounds irrational but it takes 2 locks/codes to kill me while in a house you can break in through just one door, or back garden, or the many windows etc. Also you can knock on my living room window while I'm watching TV by myself and say 'Hey baby, what you doing??' Scary!! Needless to say, I don't live on the ground floor of the apartment either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Jeremyr

**** Update ****

I have a few friends that are house hunting aswell, one just put a bid in a 3 bed duplex that's going for 250k in Dublin 15

He has offered 190k and they're thinking about it, just goes to show that alot of the stuff going up is set at a price well above what the seller is willing to take

Keep the faith people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Jeremyr wrote: »
    **** Update ****

I have a few friends that are house hunting aswell, one just put a bid in a 3 bed duplex that's going for 250k in Dublin 15

He has offered 190k and they're thinking about it, just goes to show that alot of the stuff going up is set at a price well above what the seller is willing to take

Keep the faith people

thinking about it and agreeing can be along ways apart. drop a line when its sale agreed ;-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

at a couple of viewing during the week and one today

one during the week
    625 reduced to 595, offer of 560, however one another viewing it requires a bit too much and the price is too high.

Executor sale, 395 up to 440, spacious, garden isnt that big but requires a lot of modernisation. Latest offer according to EA is 448

One today, 525 was reduced from 575 ( i think) nice house but use of an artic cabin to extend living area :eek: offer of 525 but EA expects to go above 530.

so still on the hunt and still saving as we go

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Jeremyr

one during the week
    625 reduced to 595, offer of 560, however one another viewing it requires a bit too much and the price is too high.

Executor sale, 395 up to 440, spacious, garden isnt that big but requires a lot of modernisation. Latest offer according to EA is 448

One today, 525 was reduced from 575 ( i think) nice house but use of an artic cabin to extend living area :eek: offer of 525 but EA expects to go above 530.

All in South Dublin i presume ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Jeremyr wrote: »
    All in South Dublin i presume ?

sorry thought I had added that in, yes all SCD.

Cabinteely, Kilmacud, Brewery RD in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

Still continuing the search..We enquired about one property which we liked, apparently 7(!) interesting parties are currently bidding on it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

MayBea wrote: »
    Still continuing the search..We enquired about one property which we liked, apparently 7(!) interesting parties are currently bidding on it :(

What general area is this in?

one during the week

sorry thought I had added that in, yes all SCD.

Cabinteely, Kilmacud, Brewery RD in that order.

just on my search, all of these houses have bids on them, i wonder will those bids be withdrawn if the buyers dont have a letter of offer from the bank and will see see a subsequent price adjustment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

just on my search, all of these houses have bids on them, i wonder will those bids be withdrawn if the buyers dont have a letter of offer from the bank and will see see a subsequent price adjustment

Kilmacud and brewery rd were on our areas too :) I viewed a house on Saturday with 35 people and I would safely say maybe 3 were not investors/cash buyers :(
    We are sale agreed ourselves and have our letter of offer but prior to this our bank AIB said the approval was valid for 6 months regardless. After is expires we have to resubmit application and new rules apply :(

With the new rules we would need almost double our current required deposit.

we have a good bit of savings, so the 20% isnt an issue.

The veiwings so far have been with families for the most part but interesting to see if anything happens with the sale prices or if the sales fall through.

We'll just keep on the hunt and keep saving anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bigdaddy2010

Placed bid last Friday and no word from estate agent since. Getting people to ring office anymously to check bid status and I'm still the highest. Really want the property but don't want to look too eager. What should I do? Hang tough or give them a deadline?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

What general area is this in?

It's in South Dublin (City area).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 boardmember

Is paying 430 in Rathfarnham a wise choice, it's reduced by 20K and we have gone sale agreed. Also have letter of offer but nothing else out there worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mr_seer

Placed bid last Friday and no word from estate agent since. Getting people to ring office anymously to check bid status and I'm still the highest. Really want the property but don't want to look too eager. What should I do? Hang tough or give them a deadline?

Suggest to the agent that you have viewed another property that you like. Don't make any threats but politely tell him that you would like an answer. If he thinks that you may pull out he will start putting pressure on the vendor which might be a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mr_seer

Is paying 430 in Rathfarnham a wise choice, it's reduced by 20K and we have gone sale agreed. Also have letter of offer but nothing else out there worth the money.

Rathfarnham is a nice area but there are bad parts as well. It really depends on the state and size of the house, the part of Rathfarnham etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I am hoping to buy this summer but I feel the apartment might be overpriced :Daft.ie link. Is it also true that apartments are 15% deposit compared to a house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

mr_seer wrote: »
    Rathfarnham is a nice area but there are bad parts as well. It really depends on the state and size of the house, the part of Rathfarnham etc.

Agree with this, got a more specific area boardmember?

Contracts are with my solicitor. Pleeeeeeeeease let it all work out. Found the (modest) but dream house! Well until I'm in my mid fifties and have the money to do a proper restoration project somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I agree with the other posters...rathfarnham is a big area and spreads across 2 post codes. No amount of money could get me to move to stocking wood but I would like to live on butterfield avenue both are classed as rathfarnham!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Rathfarnham is one of the most abused location names out there. It feels like some EA's think it goes all the way to Blessington!

Just went Sale Agreed ourselves, happy with price. Hopefully bank agree!

Advertisement