Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash vs Evil Dead--Starz [**Spoilers**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

CastorTroy wrote: »
    The partner looked very like a young Clancy Brown
    The male partner (
    who gets impaled
    ). yes..
    Reminded me of Pam Grier
    The female partner, yes..

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Absolutely ****ing epic first episode - all I wanted and more.

One strange part was the scene in the house with the two cops, there was one use of CGI that actually looked totally unfinished, visually on-par with an old PS1 game and totally out of place. Didn't care too much but it was odd. All the other CGI was basic but functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Mr E wrote: »
    You should look up Clancy Brown. :)

Haha you know what I meant. He does look like Clancy Brown tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That was great fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I defy anyone not to have enjoyed that.

Glorious stuff.

• Advertisement

I just hope it keeps as good, because I'm assuming Sam Reimi is only directing the pilot? It was fantastic and great fun and so much in the style of the Evil Dead. Captured that dark humour so well. And amazing gruesomeness. But hopefully it doesn't go down the route of Walking Dead (Season 1) and The Newsroom, which had their pilots directed by Frank Darabont and Aaron Sorkin respectively, but was unable to continue on the success.

I just hope it keeps as good, because I'm assuming Sam Reimi is only directing the pilot? ....

I think you're correct to assume that Raimi is only directing the pilot. That fear struck me too while watching - during some particularly Raimi moment - ,my god: maybe this is going to be lame once you take out the frantic editing, rampaging camera work etc, etc. I'd imagine though, that surely can't happen too drastically. That style of manic energy is as much a cornerstone of anything Evil Dead as Bruce Campbell himself. The pilot seemed to suggest that we'll all get exactly what we wanted from the series: at least in terms of tone and style. Raimi is so involved to boot, that I'd be shocked if there wasn't a continuity in carnage, regardless of whose on director duties on a given episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Good fun for the most part though some of the CGI was a bit off while others were done quite well. It's damn nice to see Ash back again, though!

It looks like the kind of show people working on the practical and CG effects would have good fun toying around with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Well I enjoyed it, dunno how I will feel after a full season of it, will I get sick of Ash? I hope not.

I always had to watch Evil Dead and Army of Darkness on my own as everyone else I know thinks its absolute sh1te. So Its the same with this, It was great sitting down and seeing Ash again.

I think a bit less CGI and a bit more costumed deadites instead would be better.

Every time the wheel barrow camera deadite view is shown, I think its class, but what does the person/people being chased see? :pac:

I actually think the CG was purposefully kind of bad, which really kept with the whole Evil Dead vibe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Every time the wheel barrow camera deadite view is shown, I think its class, but what does the person/people being chased see? :pac:

A guy with a wheelbarrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Not the scariest deadite type so.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the parts in these movies where we are looking through the eyes of the deadite 'spirit' as it moves towards the person at a low angle with the creepy sound in the background

Nice to see theyre not letting up on the gore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, fun second episode. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm loving it so far I have to say. Laugh out loud with WTF out loud!!! :eek: moments thrown in and then back to laugh out loud. What's not to like? :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭squonk

Great second episode. I was worried they might not continue to nail it once Sam Raimi was relived from directing duties but this episode was A1. Great TV. I'm disappointed it's only 30 minutes. I thought it was a 42 minute show but I think really 30 minutes is idea for it. More please!

I'd love if it were longer but I think 30 minutes allows it to move swiftly and keep up the pace, will see how this season works out and if they can keep the quality up.

It's good to have Ash back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

he must have a wardrobe full of those blue shirts

It's only a storm Pablito.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Loving this.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,398 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This is getting better and better with each episode.

Great fun again. Looking forward to seeing what Lucy Lawless brings.
    Really good effects on the demon too I thought. Great make up

Yea, I have to say they're doing a great job on the monster side of things. You can see the inventiveness and clever mix of practical and CGI effects, that monster in the bookshop was well-done.

Another quality episode, I'm glad it's working out and doubts about it were quickly washed away...........from the copious amounts of blood :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

How have I only seen this thread now? Will defo be tuning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Really enjoying this. Looking forward to the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The SFX are great in this and the dialogue is hilarious.The team is really gelling well together. Great third episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Which version of the "army of darkness" is the right one?

Directors cut or theatrical....which one did I see?

No spoilers plz, haven't seen it in 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This series more or less acts like Army of Darkness never happened. Or at least don't talk about it due to some rights issue. But since the main difference is the ending, it's hard to say which you saw without giving spoilers.

As for the latest episode, how stupid could that cop be? Though when he was summoning I was just thinking "Sure, what could possibly go wrong?" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

This series more or less acts like Army of Darkness never happened. Or at least don't talk about it due to some rights issue. But since the main difference is the ending, it's hard to say which you saw without giving spoilers.

As for the latest episode, how stupid could that cop be? Though when he was summoning I was just thinking "Sure, what could possibly go wrong?" :)
    Oh, good to know the films dont matter to the TV show.

Which version of the film you think is best?

Advertisement