Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocation to Galway with children

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭McGiver

Don't know much about your first questions so I will leave them for others to answer but what do you mean about bilingual schools?
    Maybe teaching other language than English and Irish.
    Almost all schools will teach through English, with Irish being taught as a new language to learn. AFAIK no other language will be taught. It will be obligatory for your child to learn Irish but she will be learning it alongside plenty of others who will be hearing it for the first time and whose parents haven't a word of Irish.
    I see, no foreign languages...that's not a very good policy imho.

90% of all primary schools in the country have a Catholic ethos, the other 10% are a mix of mostly other christian denominations or multi-denominational schools.
    OK, thanks.

Public transport information:

How good you think it is depends on where you live. Take a look at the neighbourhood maps to get a feel for the different areas.

Cheers, very helpful. You're almost hitting 11k posts. Do you do also anything else than posting on the forum? :D

Paddyfield wrote: »
    There are lots of playgrounds in Galway. I think I've been to 6 of them. There are many I've never been to. The best one is in Merlin but that's on the far side of the city from where I live. There are 3 in the Salthill/Knocknacarra area which are all superb. They are all enclosed, reasonably well maintained and have benches. None of these 3 have public toilets but that has never been an issue.
    OK, thanks. The Merlin one was the only one I was able to find on Google Maps.
    Preschool is subsidiesed by the government for the final year before your child goes to school. This encourages parents to have their children prepared for school and is a brilliant scheme.
    I think the subsidised year is just 15 hours a week, right? So pretty much the same as in the UK with 15 h/w quota for 3-4 year olds.
    In the Salthill / Knocknacarra area there are 5 primary schools and one of them is solely through the Irish language.
    That's fair enough.
    In Salthill/Knocknacarra, there is one public swimming pool at www leisureland ie and at least three others that are open to the public but are affiliated to adjoining hotels.

I'm not too sure what Creches charge nowadays but a simple google search followed by a phone-call will give you a good indication. My kids went to a creche called Little Stars on Cappagh Road. It was well staffed and had a massive garden. There are dozens more.

Finally, can I suggest that you consult www rollercoaster ie
    It's an Irish parenting website which has a good message board where a lot of your questions may be answered.
    Thanks, that's helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 StoryBuuud

McGiver wrote: »
    Maybe teaching other language than English and Irish.

Foreign languages are taught starting with the 1st Year of secondary school, so when your daughter is around 12/13. Generally schools offer 2 of the following: German, French, Italian, and Spanish. The 2 languages that are taught varies from school to school. Most schools have their students study both of the languages they offer for 1st year. After 1st year, the child will pick one of these languages to study for the rest of their secondary education.

Foreign languages are vital for entry to all Universities in the country as far as I know. They're not necessarily studied, it's just an entry requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't know if any Galway primary schools have this as an option.

But there is a private Saturday school if you're particularly keen on your child learning a language: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ene-Due-Rabe-Multicultural-Language-Centre/438881609541944

I think it started out as just Polish school, but has expanded to cater for other groups too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Foreign languages are a standard part of the irish education system

StoryBuuud wrote: »
    Foreign languages are taught starting with the 1st Year of secondary school, so when your daughter is around 12/13. Generally schools offer 2 of the following: German, French, Italian, and Spanish. The 2 languages that are taught varies from school to school. Most schools have their students study both of the languages they offer for 1st year. After 1st year, the child will pick one of these languages to study for the rest of their secondary education.

Foreign languages are vital for entry to all Universities in the country as far as I know. They're not necessarily studied, it's just an entry requirement.

OK, that sounds very reasonable, much better policy than in the UK.

JillyQ wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

JillyQ wrote: »

Only in secondary school, as far as I know not primary school, unless things have changed in the last three years.

Eeden wrote: »
    Only in secondary school, as far as I know not primary school, unless things have changed in the last three years.
    Thanks, is that from the age of 12?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Thanks, is that from the age of 12?

Yes, secondary school is from age 12-18.
    In my son's school Irish is the native language, English is taught as the "foreign" language. There is an option to do Spanish and/or French after school from around age 8/9. Primary schools finish at 2.30pm so there is loads of time for after school activities or classes. My son does Spanish once a week after school (in his school). It costs around 5 euro per class.
    Around a third of the primary schools in Galway city are gaelscoils (Irish is the language spoken all day).

Thanks, as our child is 3 years old, was wondering if there are preschools suitable especially in or around Ballybane/Doughiska area ? Any help with this would be appreciated.

Yes, secondary school is from age 12-18.
    In my son's school Irish is the native language, English is taught as the "foreign" language. There is an option to do Spanish and/or French after school from around age 8/9. Primary schools finish at 2.30pm so there is loads of time for after school activities or classes. My son does Spanish once a week after school (in his school). It costs around 5 euro per class.
    Around a third of the primary schools in Galway city are gaelscoils (Irish is the language spoken all day).

Is there a possibility of German language?

I grew up in England until i was eleven, i have Irish parents.we then moved to rural Ireland.

IMO, the education system in England is better than Ireland. I did French from age 5 in England, I also learnt computer programming, this was in the 80's! Religion ( I was in a catholic primary school) taught me about all religions.
    In Ireland, there was no languages until secondary school 12/13 years old, absolutely nothing related to computers at all, and just catholic religion shoved down our throats.

Now, that was the 80s but from watching my friends kids, nothing much has changed.

The health system is very slow here unless you want to pay huge amounts of money on private health insurance. My insurance is 1500 euro a year for just me, but it is very good insurance.

The cost of living is a lot higher in Ireland.

Not trying to put you off, we had a great life when we moved over, A fabulous life really, but you should move with your eyes open.

Oh, and it rains in Galway, it rains a lot. It rains nearly ALL the time in Galway. Its a great town though!!

bubblypop wrote: »
    I grew up in England until i was eleven, i have Irish parents.we then moved to rural Ireland.

IMO, the education system in England is better than Ireland. I did French from age 5 in England, I also learnt computer programming, this was in the 80's! Religion ( I was in a catholic primary school) taught me about all religions.
    In Ireland, there was no languages until secondary school 12/13 years old, absolutely nothing related to computers at all, and just catholic religion shoved down our throats.

Now, that was the 80s but from watching my friends kids, nothing much has changed.

Is there anyone else who can verify this?
    The health system is very slow here unless you want to pay huge amounts of money on private health insurance. My insurance is 1500 euro a year for just me, but it is very good insurance.
    I am aware of this...
    The cost of living is a lot higher in Ireland.
    Depends what do you include in the cost and what cities do you compare. E.g. renting is some 40% more expensive (with current EUR/GBP rate) in the town we live here in the southeast of England as compared to Galway. Housing is the largest expense for us. Then there is no council tax in Ireland, but there is medical insurance in Ireland, which comes, for us, to pretty much the same as we would pay council tax in England.
    Not trying to put you off, we had a great life when we moved over, A fabulous life really, but you should move with your eyes open.
    Yeah, we're definitely are cautious, thanks.

Oh, and it rains in Galway, it rains a lot. It rains nearly ALL the time in Galway. Its a great town though!!.
    The weather is a big downside, but nothing can be perfect, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bluecorp

Bubblypop's experience relates to eighties and is completely irrelevant to the present day. Religion is not rammed down anyone's throat anymore and if the British school system is so much better. How come so few Brits speak a second language? All those multinational companies setting up in Ireland cite the excellent educational system as a factor.

As for computers clearly he has no clue. Most schools have computers as a normal part of teaching and many schools have gone over to using individual tablet computers instead of books in the classroom.

As for weather, remember the Irish always exaggerate how bad it is. Galway has a mild climate. Coming from SE England you won't notice much difference. Galway missed out on recent snow for example ln fact snow is rare here. The sun is shining in my eyes as I type this. No sign of rain and the temperature is a mild 11 degrees.

His comments are not very useful.

Thanks, as our child is 3 years old, was wondering if there are preschools suitable especially in or around Ballybane/Doughiska area ? Any help with this would be appreciated.
    There are several in the area. I've no information on them but I can recommend the one in nearby Roscam where mine went. Excellent staff and facilities.

bluecorp wrote: »
    Bubblypop's experience relates to eighties and is completely irrelevant to the present day. Religion is not rammed down anyone's throat anymore and if the British school system is so much better. How come so few Brits speak a second language? All those multinational companies setting up in Ireland cite the excellent educational system as a factor.
    Exactly, that was my point when I was asking this question. Brits are very poor with languages and I know this as I work in industry related to languages. CEO of my current company even wrote an article about this in newspapers stating that language education is very important for business development and UK is not doing really well in this area.
    As for computers clearly he has no clue. Most schools have computers as a normal part of teaching and many schools have gone over to using individual tablet computers instead of books in the classroom.
    I'd have imagined that...
    As for weather, remember the Irish always exaggerate how bad it is. Galway has a mild climate. Coming from SE England you won't notice much difference. Galway missed out on recent snow for example ln fact snow is rare here. The sun is shining in my eyes as I type this. No sign of rain and the temperature is a mild 11 degrees.
    Yes, it must be mild (like it), but will miss a decent summer and sunshine (I'm from an area that has 1700 sunshine hours, my wife from an area that has 3000 sunshine hours :))

There are several in the area. I've no information on them but I can recommend the one in nearby Roscam where mine went. Excellent staff and facilities.
    I can't see preschools/creches only in Doughiska, nothing shows in Roscam on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

...many schools have gone over to using individual tablet computers instead of books in the classroom.

Many schools? Have you got a link for that? Some schools are trying it. But tablets aren't great for creating written content, which is one of the things that children need to do a lot of. And I don't believe there's been much drop in demand for text-books.

True story: a recently opened Galway primary school (within the last 5 years) had electronic whiteboards installed shortly after opening. But before they could be installed, the principal had to get permission from the Department of Education to have the plugs for these whiteboards moved from their designed position (on the wall right behind the whiteboard), so that the power could be turned off/on as necessary. An education system that was used to designing for technology would not have made such a rookie mistake.

While things aren't nearly as bad as the 80s (rural Ireland wasn't that far off 3rd-world in the 70s), I'd struggle to say that it's equal to the UK. Illiteracy in the adult population is still about 20%. Secondary education only became free-and-compulsory in 1967.

• Advertisement

I've no link and in any case I can't add links yet. But two of my niece's schools have introduced Ipads onto which the school books are loaded. I've also heard of other schools starting to use them. I have to assume this trend will continue. Obviously they're not used for writing etc

'While things aren't nearly as bad as the 80s (rural Ireland wasn't that far off 3rd-world in the 70s), I'd struggle to say that it's equal to the UK. Illiteracy in the adult population is still about 20%. Secondary education only became free-and-compulsory in 1967. '

I have no idea whether or not it's equal to the UK but it's certainly better than the eighties. As for illiteracy, well I'd like to see a breakdown on the figures young versus old. 1967 is nearly have a century ago so hardly relevant now.

McGiver: I can't post a link but the Roscam website is: crèche.ie

As for the weather well Galway can't match those figures. But the sun does shine. As it happens it rained today in Galway so the cliché is true, a couple of showers sailed by. I saw them in the distance. They never came near me. My biggest problem was the blinding low sun as I was driving around. But everyone will forget that and complain about a small shower that fell on them. It does get warm in Summer but rarely hot although in fact in recent years we have hot spells every summer. But we still exaggerate the bad weather. I remember one Summer an American student came over to stay with my sister. Her bag was full of warm clothes as she'd been advised by a silly Irish woman over there that it was always cold here. She arrived during a heatwave and had to go buy lighter clothes so she didn't die of heatstroke. I've also read of similar experiences with tourists who find they bring the wrong clothes.

Typical that. It's Ireland not Iceland!

His comments are not very useful.

She, actually, ðŸ˜
    and out of the eleven school going aged kids I'm related to/ belong to my friends, only one has used a tablet in school, and that's in Wexford.
    I would hope things have moved on since the eighties!

And it is mild in Galway, it just rains a LOT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Emmaabroad

Hi, I'm originally from Galway but haven't lived there for 23 years. Currently in London (for 18 years) and looking to move back within a year.

Regarding education, my eldest is doing her A-levels here in UK, youngest in still in primary school. She's in an 'outstanding' school, but doesn't do any foreign language. Did a bit when she 5 and about 7 but then nothing. The eldest studied French until GCSE's (equiv. of Junior Cert) then no language - no requirement to do one after GCSE. I prefer the Irish system of more subjects for Leaving - A-level system is so narrow. Agree with the religion bit, will be interesting to see what they do with my non-religious, non-irish speaking daughter.

Rains all the time- I'll have to stop moaning about it when I move back.

QUOTE:

Hi there, could any expat advise how to quickly open a bank account in Galway possibly without a proof of residence?

I will be relocating at the end of February and need an Irish bank acount to rent a house asap. But for a bank account, they say, they require a proof of residence. So this is kind of looped - for rent a house you need an account and for an account you need to rent a house.

I had a similar situation when I came in the UK, but then my employer put my temporary address (was renting a room then) straight into a employer reference letter and some of the banks were fine with this and didn't require another address proof.

Emmaabroad wrote: »
    Hi, I'm originally from Galway but haven't lived there for 23 years. Currently in London (for 18 years) and looking to move back within a year.

Regarding education, my eldest is doing her A-levels here in UK, youngest in still in primary school. She's in an 'outstanding' school, but doesn't do any foreign language. Did a bit when she 5 and about 7 but then nothing. The eldest studied French until GCSE's (equiv. of Junior Cert) then no language - no requirement to do one after GCSE. I prefer the Irish system of more subjects for Leaving - A-level system is so narrow. Agree with the religion bit, will be interesting to see what they do with my non-religious, non-irish speaking daughter.

Rains all the time- I'll have to stop moaning about it when I move back.
    Good luck with your move!

I've no link and in any case I can't add links yet. But two of my niece's schools have introduced Ipads onto which the school books are loaded. I've also heard of other schools starting to use them. I have to assume this trend will continue. Obviously they're not used for writing etc

'While things aren't nearly as bad as the 80s (rural Ireland wasn't that far off 3rd-world in the 70s), I'd struggle to say that it's equal to the UK. Illiteracy in the adult population is still about 20%. Secondary education only became free-and-compulsory in 1967. '

I have no idea whether or not it's equal to the UK but it's certainly better than the eighties. As for illiteracy, well I'd like to see a breakdown on the figures young versus old. 1967 is nearly have a century ago so hardly relevant now.

McGiver: I can't post a link but the Roscam website is: crèche.ie

As for the weather well Galway can't match those figures. But the sun does shine. As it happens it rained today in Galway so the cliché is true, a couple of showers sailed by. I saw them in the distance. They never came near me. My biggest problem was the blinding low sun as I was driving around. But everyone will forget that and complain about a small shower that fell on them. It does get warm in Summer but rarely hot although in fact in recent years we have hot spells every summer. But we still exaggerate the bad weather. I remember one Summer an American student came over to stay with my sister. Her bag was full of warm clothes as she'd been advised by a silly Irish woman over there that it was always cold here. She arrived during a heatwave and had to go buy lighter clothes so she didn't die of heatstroke. I've also read of similar experiences with tourists who find they bring the wrong clothes.

Typical that. It's Ireland not Iceland!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CountingClocks

Hi there, could any expat advise how to quickly open a bank account in Galway possibly without a proof of residence?

I will be relocating at the end of February and need an Irish bank acount to rent a house asap. But for a bank account, they say, they require a proof of residence. So this is kind of looped - for rent a house you need an account and for an account you need to rent a house.

I had a similar situation when I came in the UK, but then my employer put my temporary address (was renting a room then) straight into a employer reference letter and some of the banks were fine with this and didn't require another address proof.

I recently moved back to Galway and I had the same issue, none of the banks would allow me to open an account without proof of address. I used my home address (parents residence) and got some post sent there which I then produced to the bank. Not sure of any other way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, it's a bit of a bother.
    You may not need a bank account to rent, many landlords or agencies will take cash (get receipt).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Where are you in the UK? The Bank of Ireland and AIB have branches in some places in the UK.

Maybe make enquiries there? This is pure speculation but it might be that it would smooth things if you already had an account with an Irish bank when you arrived here.

(I don't know the answer - Id like to know myself)

AIB Branch locator
    http://www.aibgb.co.uk/servlet/Satellite?cid=1141323190085%26pagename=GBBusinessPortal%2FGBContent_C%2Fgb_branch_locator%26channel=C001%26c=GBContent_C

Looks like Bank of Ireland only work through UK post offices now
    http://www.bank-of-ireland.co.uk/contact-us/faqs/100324/#d
    dont know if that would count as a banking relationship

Note: Whatever you get told on the UK side I would phone (or better write) to a Galway branch and confirm that they would have the same understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

They've tightened this up over the years. One possibility is if you ask a friend or contact if you can use their address as base while you look for a place. Then it's technically your residence, or you may be able to stay there. Then get a letter from them as the homeowner stating you are their guest. I know this works for immigration dept, so may work for a bank. Good luck.

Advertisement