Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocation to Galway with children

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

JillyQ wrote: »
    Op if you don't have health insurance here you will go on to a waiting list for the public hospitals. Regardless of whether you have the European health card. That Is if you need to see a consultant. If you are talking about a gp its €50 a go unless you have the medical card issued by the department of social welfare.
    50 quid cash omg that's serious. Is that regardless whether you've got a private insurance or not?

bluecorp wrote: »
    I had to smile at that. You might be surprised to hear that it's actually quite the opposite. Foreigners, we prefer to say 'non national' are very common in Ireland and Galway in particular. At times walking around town you'd think you were anywhere but a small city on the west coast of Ireland when you hear all the languages spoken. The schools are very used to kids from all over. Indeed in some areas, Irish kids are the minority. You don't say where you're from originally but you'll probably find some of you countrymen already living here.
    We are from the Czech Republic and India respectively.
    Galway is a very open and cosmopolitan city. If you watch the St Patrick's Day parade in Galway, it's more like a celebration of flags of the world than Irishness.
    Interesting.
    Yes most of the schools are Catholic however they are long used to children of other faiths. I even once saw two Muslim girls wearing the uniform of the local Catholic convent school! Most Irish now are in fact liberal Catholics. My sons school is Jesuit in character but nothing is pushed on them so far. There are non Catholic schools but are often popular and hard to get into. Plus what school you choose is dependant on where you settle. Also some of the best schools teach entirely through the Irish language. That's not the problem you might think because most kids start with no Irish at all. Yours I see is three so that won't be a problem because he or she will start at the same level as all the others.
    Fair enough then and thanks, this helps.
    In terms of health insurance. Check the job offer. Many companies, particularly multinationals offer a subsidised health insurance package. Galway is well equipped with hospitals. The main regional hospital is here, plus two private hospitals.
    I think the health insurance was in the package, but I don't have details on that. What discount would I typically get?
    As for where to live, well I assume you're going to rent. There is a lot of demand for rental properties, party due to the large number of foreigners living here. So you'll need to look at getting a place quickly. Once settled though you can look around for something better. You'll find people you work with will advise from their own experiences.
    Yeah, renting. Which brings me to another point, I've seen nearly all rental properties are furnished, quite opposite the situation in the UK and also continental Europe I'd say. We've got some furniture obviously, so I'm thinking how to go about this...
    Weatherwise to be honest, in my experience it's not as rainy as people say. In fact statistically it's the same as most of the rest of the country. But once you go west into Connemara it's gets wetter. There is a lot of exaggeration about it though. Heavy rain is the exception and most commonly it's showery and it rarely lasts all day. We do get treated to a couple of Atlantic storms each year.
    I hear Irish complain a lot :) But anyway the annual rainfall is double compared to where we live right now :(
    I even saw people sitting outside a café, wearing coats of course. Typical for Galway in the Winter.
    Wicked :)
    I rarely meet anyone, foreign or not who regret living in Galway. Indeed many Irish people when they find out where I live tell me that they would love to move here. That says something.
    Yeah, it does, indeed. And it's interesting considering it's such a small city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

McGiver wrote: »
    50 quid cash omg that's serious. Is that regardless whether you've got a private insurance or not?

yes for the gp & €100 per visit to the A&E

• Registered Users Posts: 45,264 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

OP, living on the same side of the bridge may not matter depending on what time you will start work, ie cross the bridge. It's a lazy suggestion. I cross it before rush hours with no problems in the morning and evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I moved to Galway from my home in the London area ten years ago and will never go back to uk. I LOVE galway. There is always something to do, especially if you like music/arts/theatre type things. There are loads of sports clubs too. The seafront at Salthill is great for walks, kids play time etc all year around. Yes, it rains most days but hardly ever all day. If you want to avoid catholic schools go for an Educate Together school which has no religious ethos (but teaches and celebrates all religions). These schools fill up fast so put names down as soon as you arrive. The tax/health system is quite different to uk- there is a lot of "pay first, claim back later" to do eg for health bills etc. You do pay cash for each GP visit (even for babies) but you can be seen immediately (same day). Some health costs can be claimed back through your tax claim at end of year (with or without insurance).
    Good luck with your move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

€100 per visit to the A&E

Only if you go without a GP referral and don't need to be admitted.

If you do the right thing and take non serious complaints to the gp first, then A&E is free.

And depending on the arrangements in the OP's home country and thei status, care here can be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bluecorp

Ok Czech and Indian you'll fit right in. East Europeans like Poles, Lithuanians etc are very common, and yes I know being Czech are not the same but but being 'middle European is normal in Galway these days. Plus Indians are far from rare.

I can't say what discount you get as it varies with the company but the American company I worked for at one stage made it very attractive.

When it comes to renting being furnished is the norm. As is happens we rent a house and supplied the furniture etc. But you can always ask. For one of our tenants we stored our stuff and they supplied their own furniture. But no our tenants are very happy now so don't ask. It's a landlords market anyway.

I do think that from the replies it's clear people like living here. I'm from Dublin and honestly I would like to go back there but it's not because Galway is a bad place. It's just that I love my home town. But I also love Galway and I can't think of a bad thing about the place.

To give you an example. Tomorrow me and my wife who is a Galway native, it's a Sunday and we think we need to go somewhere for a drive. For once we'll be avoiding one of her numerous sisters. But we are spoiled for choice. One hour in any direction will take you to some extraordinary scenery. Connemara, the cliffs of Moher, Cong, etc.

You can drive out of town for not very long and find yourself off the edge of the world.

It's hard to explain, you have to see it.

An English friend pointed out that he can't imagine a place where you can live out near an isolated beach, paying reasonable rent yet within twenty minutes of a city where there is plenty of work.

That's why so many Brits live round here.

If you do the right thing and take non serious complaints to the gp first, then A&E is free.

And depending on the arrangements in the OP's home country and thei status, care here can be free.

The only time i have been in there i was taken in by Ambulance after an accident and got the bill after it. Maybe thats not the right way to go to A & E.

yes for the gp & €100 per visit to the A&E
    Shocking. I guess prescriptions are paid too. Sounds like Switzerland or Norway. How do retired or people with low income cope with this? :(

Shocking. I guess prescriptions are paid too. Sounds like Switzerland or Norway. How do retired or people with low income cope with this? :(

As far as i know you only pay €120 approx per month on prescriptions max the goverment pays the rest.

Galway is a good place to live. Just dont come here expecting free health care etc. If you have an active and generally healthy lifestyle Galway would be a good fit.

• Advertisement

Good to know...

I moved to Galway from my home in the London area ten years ago and will never go back to uk. I LOVE galway. There is always something to do, especially if you like music/arts/theatre type things. There are loads of sports clubs too. The seafront at Salthill is great for walks, kids play time etc all year around. Yes, it rains most days but hardly ever all day. If you want to avoid catholic schools go for an Educate Together school which has no religious ethos (but teaches and celebrates all religions). These schools fill up fast so put names down as soon as you arrive. The tax/health system is quite different to uk- there is a lot of "pay first, claim back later" to do eg for health bills etc. You do pay cash for each GP visit (even for babies) but you can be seen immediately (same day). Some health costs can be claimed back through your tax claim at end of year (with or without insurance).
    Good luck with your move.
    Cheers, many thanks for the school suggestion. Is it a private school or a public one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bluecorp

After a huge row, even rich retired people get their prescriptions paid for. The government tried to make it based on income or means but they got slaughtered on that. So those of us with normal incomes have to pay but rich pensioners pay nothing.

Shocking. I pay for all my prescriptions but a retired Doctor pays nothing. But people with limited income pays nothing or whatever minimum cost unless they have a medical cards
    Typical mad Irish logic. Low income people pay very little. Working people pay plenty but get better treatment.

But I have to say it works out in favour of people on decent money. If you have health insurance any medical costs are tax deductible.

People on low incomes just have to wait longer unless it's critical. My Mother was recently diagnosed with Cancer. No cost is involved, no issue with insurance. She has the best of treatment even though it's now palliative. She is being well looked after.

She is getting the best of the treatment but there is nothing medicine can do. It's in these situations where you realise that our health service is not as bad as it's painted.

No amount of health insurance would a save her but it could bankrupt us all in other countries. So don't exaggerate the issue.

Ok Czech and Indian you'll fit right in. East Europeans like Poles, Lithuanians etc are very common, and yes I know being Czech are not the same but but being 'middle European is normal in Galway these days. Plus Indians are far from rare.
    I'm happy that you mentioned the middle thing, as most Czechs will starting giving you a lecture when they hear someone calling them Eastern Europeans. It's a peculiar thing. As geography books say it's a country in Central Europe, Austria lies on more or less the same longitude and is rarely being called Eastern European country...here you go :)
    I can't say what discount you get as it varies with the company but the American company I worked for at one stage made it very attractive.
    I'll request more info regarding this.
    When it comes to renting being furnished is the norm. As is happens we rent a house and supplied the furniture etc. But you can always ask. For one of our tenants we stored our stuff and they supplied their own furniture. But no our tenants are very happy now so don't ask. It's a landlords market anyway.
    OK, will try to ask, but I'm kind of starting to think about an alternative scenario for our furniture.

I do think that from the replies it's clear people like living here. I'm from Dublin and honestly I would like to go back there but it's not because Galway is a bad place. It's just that I love my home town. But I also love Galway and I can't think of a bad thing about the place.
    Yes, it's clear it must a nice place, I really appreciate all the answers and help. Home town is a home town, it will be always number one for me as well.
    To give you an example. Tomorrow me and my wife who is a Galway native, it's a Sunday and we think we need to go somewhere for a drive. For once we'll be avoiding one of her numerous sisters. But we are spoiled for choice. One hour in any direction will take you to some extraordinary scenery. Connemara, the cliffs of Moher, Cong, etc.

You can drive out of town for not very long and find yourself off the edge of the world.
    I do find this very attractive, I enjoy walks by lakes, in forests and hiking too and Galway seems really well positioned for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm quite afraid to be honest. Never been to Ireland. Potential cons what I can see straight away upon doing my shallow research are: the healthcare system (some scary reports, need to pay private insurance), small market therefore small competition leading to not so big range of services/goods offered (compared to, say, the UK), alcoholism seems to be a problem (i.e. absence of social life if you are not a drinker or even a drunkard :D), and of course the weather.
    Couple of pros: nearly no water charge, no council tax, beatiful countryside/mountains/lakes, friendlier and more family oriented people (I hope :), compared with the UK), cheap Guiness?? :)

That's exactly what I'd imagine :D I mean, I'd expect Dublin (and maybe Cork) to be a bit multi-cultural, but that's it.

All of those concerns are not without base to be honest. The healthcare system is awful. Going to the GP is grand, it's just like anywhere else. I believe we actually have one of the highest infant mortality rates, so it can't be that bad, right? We're pretty good at vaccinating. I think cancer treatment is pretty good too for the most part. There's been mishandling of scans on a couple of occasions but I think for the most part it's good.

If you have to go see a consultant about something, it's always a bad experience. Even when you get the help you need, it can be slow and unpleasant. There's some great surgeons and some pretty piss poor surgeons. I wouldn't want to have to rely on the healthcare system if I got very sick.

Galway actually has a wide variety of restaurants and pubs...so there's competition there. We've also got many of the same chains that you guys have in the UK e.g. Boots, Smyths Toystore, JD Sports and all of that craic. Cost can be high for some things due to the high vat rate. Some of the taxes in Ireland are a joke but it's likely a lot cheaper in Galway than somewhere like Manchester and London

Alcoholism is a very real problem but you don't have to deal with it, if you don't want to. Other than during festivals and events, you shouldn't see drunks stumbling around all that much

Wompa1 wrote: »
    If you have to go see a consultant about something, it's always a bad experience. Even when you get the help you need, it can be slow and unpleasant. There's some great surgeons and some pretty piss poor surgeons. I wouldn't want to have to rely on the healthcare system if I got very sick.

That doesn't match my experience. I've had two consultant referrals since I've been here. Both timely enough given the condition. Both fine.

I believe we actually have one of the highest infant mortality rates, so it can't be that bad, right?
    The infant mortality is not so good compared to most of the continental Europe (as per the latest OECD data), but it's better than that of the Netherlands, UK and Austria. I don't think this is a major issue.
    We rarely go to a doctor and if we do, we go to a GP. But one never knows when one gets sick or has an accident.
    Galway actually has a wide variety of restaurants and pubs...so there's competition there.
    Pub competition of course. :D
    We've also got many of the same chains that you guys have in the UK e.g. Boots, Smyths Toystore, JD Sports and all of that craic. Cost can be high for some things due to the high vat rate. Some of the taxes in Ireland are a joke but it's likely a lot cheaper in Galway than somewhere like Manchester and London
    Didn't study taxes much, but joint taxation for couples is a big plus compared to the UK. There's no council tax like in the UK, but the private health insurance is pretty much the same, so no difference here. Food and utilities prices and seem to be more or less the same or a bit higher to me. Rental prices are definitely lower than where we live (at least 15%). Public transport (especially train) seem much lower thatn in the UK.
    Alcoholism is a very real problem but you don't have to deal with it, if you don't want to. Other than during festivals and events, you shouldn't see drunks stumbling around all that much
    I read about this the other day on this forum and someone mentioned there that if you don't go to pub, it's not so easy to make friends, would you agree with that?

That doesn't match my experience. I've had two consultant referrals since I've been here. Both timely enough given the condition. Both fine.
    Healthcare is always hit and miss, in every country. You will always hear bad and good experiences in whatever country you go. Some doctors might be bogus, some cases might have issues , but some not, it's a matter of chance/luck to a great degree. Two referrals probably constitute a too small sample to draw any conclusions or see any patterns.

I was wondering how is Galway for families with children.

We are thinking of moving here. We have a 3 year old very active daughter who likes outdoors and playgrounds.

We've not visited Galway yet, so was wondering how are the playgrounds, are these ample? Are there activity centers for children under 5, such as children centers, swimming, music etc ?

How many preschools are there? How much do you pay? I know it's too much to ask yet, but are there bilingual schools too?

How is the public transport generally like?
    Thanks!

Don't know much about your first questions so I will leave them for others to answer but what do you mean about bilingual schools?

Almost all schools will teach through English, with Irish being taught as a new language to learn. AFAIK no other language will be taught. It will be obligatory for your child to learn Irish but she will be learning it alongside plenty of others who will be hearing it for the first time and whose parents haven't a word of Irish.

There is an all Irish school http://gaelscoildara.scoilnet.ie/blog/ which would teach all subjects through Irish in Renmore on the east side of the city which has a nice new school building.

90% of all primary schools in the country have a Catholic ethos, the other 10% are a mix of mostly other christian denominations or multi-denominational schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Have had to go see a consultant three times myself. Two out of the three, they didn't tend to what was wrong with me on the day. I had to wait another few months and come back. Once, one of them couldn't find my X-Ray and just went on a hunch. A friend of mine was in Beaumont just before X-mas and had a nightmare too. My dad has been in and out of hospitals since about 98 due to a chronic issue. At one stage he was diagnosed with late stage cancer and was told to prepare for the inevitable (it wasn't cancer, it was an infection caused by the awful hygiene in the hospital)

My brother and two others in my village had botches tonsillectomies in Galway too. Had to be kept in afterward due to vomiting blood. I could go on...

I'm sitting right now with a blood disease and I have no idea what my actual condition may be. The only good advice I got was from the head of an association for the disease in Ireland, who's husband died from the disease!

Just my experiences, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Roquentin wrote: »
    salthill knocknacarra renmore, some areas of ballybrit

barna and oranmore are lovely towns.

avoid rahoon and areas of ballybane

edit: it rains 360 out of 365 days in galway

Two of these statements I'd disagree with :)

Cheers, many thanks for the school suggestion. Is it a private school or a public one?

It's a free school (ie public). You have to pay for books and stationary but that's the same in all Irish schools. Galway schools are generally all very good - very few fee-paying schools in Galway- there are a few in Dublin.

I read about this the other day on this forum and someone mentioned there that if you don't go to pub, it's not so easy to make friends, would you agree with that?

It's similar to in England. A lot of socialising is done in pubs but of course you can make friends without going to the pub. I made lots of friends through work and hobbies when I moved to Ireland. Sometimes we have socials in the pub but you can have soft drinks/tea/coffee if you like.

To check out children's activities look at mykidstime website and choose the Galway section. I think Galway is a great place to live and bring up children - lots to do outside eg beach, parks, woods, sports facilities. It can rain a lot but if you have waterproof gear you can still get out and about.

Public transport information: www.GalwayTransport.info

How good you think it is depends on where you live. Take a look at the neighbourhood maps to get a feel for the different areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

There are lots of playgrounds in Galway. I think I've been to 6 of them. There are many I've never been to. The best one is in Merlin but that's on the far side of the city from where I live. There are 3 in the Salthill/Knocknacarra area which are all superb. They are all enclosed, reasonably well maintained and have benches. None of these 3 have public toilets but that has never been an issue.

Preschool is subsidiesed by the government for the final year before your child goes to school. This encourages parents to have their children prepared for school and is a brilliant scheme.

In the Salthill / Knocknacarra area there are 5 primary schools and one of them is solely through the Irish language.

In Salthill/Knocknacarra, there is one public swimming pool at www.leisureland.ie and at least three others that are open to the public but are affiliated to adjoining hotels.

I'm not too sure what Creches charge nowadays but a simple google search followed by a phone-call will give you a good indication. My kids went to a creche called Little Stars on Cappagh Road. It was well staffed and had a massive garden. There are dozens more.

Finally, can I suggest that you consult www.rollercoaster.ie
    It's an Irish parenting website which has a good message board where a lot of your questions may be answered.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Two of these statements I'd disagree with :)

I'm thinking which one of these two? :D

Have had to go see a consultant three times myself. Two out of the three, they didn't tend to what was wrong with me on the day. I had to wait another few months and come back. Once, one of them couldn't find my X-Ray and just went on a hunch. A friend of mine was in Beaumont just before X-mas and had a nightmare too. My dad has been in and out of hospitals since about 98 due to a chronic issue. At one stage he was diagnosed with late stage cancer and was told to prepare for the inevitable (it wasn't cancer, it was an infection caused by the awful hygiene in the hospital)

My brother and two others in my village had botches tonsillectomies in Galway too. Had to be kept in afterward due to vomiting blood. I could go on...

I'm sitting right now with a blood disease and I have no idea what my actual condition may be. The only good advice I got was from the head of an association for the disease in Ireland, who's husband died from the disease!

Just my experiences, of course.
    Oh dear, sorry to hear that...as I said you never know with healthcare generally.

• Advertisement

It's a free school (ie public). You have to pay for books and stationary but that's the same in all Irish schools. Galway schools are generally all very good - very few fee-paying schools in Galway- there are a few in Dublin.
    Cheers, that's helpful. Sounds good.

Advertisement