Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

"what is coal"......

Nicky, the boyband member..........

Plug for Bus Eireann..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

"Tell me a bit about yourself. Are you married? Do you have kids?"

Not good, Nicky. Not good. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 81,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I wonder did the price of an advert slot get knocked up tonight with the news of a big win?

I wonder did the price of an advert slot get knocked up tonight with the news of a big win?

Nah, adverts are booked months in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Here are two more luck-based, big-money game shows that didn't make particularly good viewing and thus were cancelled sooner rather than later - Justin Lee Collins' Heads or Tails, and Ant and Dec's Red or Black?:

They were some of the worst Gameshows ever on British TV.

Richard Osman thought so too ...
    As a simple rule of thumb, if Ant & Dec are hosting your show, and you're giving away £1m every night, and people still won't watch, then your format doesn't work; and in gameshows, format is everything.
    Red Or Black attempted – as did Channel 5's Heads Or Tails and ITV's The Colour Of Money – to rip off the magic formula of Deal Or No Deal. But Deal Or No Deal is not really about luck. It's about knowing when to quit. It is essentially "stick or twist" in the same way as any job or relationship you've ever had is. What man, when his mind turns to marriage, hasn't thought: "It's a lovely offer, but perhaps I should just open three more boxes?"

Even the guy behind Deal Or No Deal couldn't rip off Deal Or No Deal. After Deal … had been such a worldwide success, its creator Dick de Rijk found it easy to sell any new idea. This led to Show Me The Money, the UK pilot of which is the single worst piece of television I have ever seen. And I am including Don't Scare The Hare.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2012/oct/26/uk-tv-worst-ever-gameshows

That's a decent article, worth a read.

I was surprised that this show is filmed so far in advance. At least Winning Streak is/was recorded on the same day, so there is less time for spoilers to be leaked.

Skid X wrote: »
    I was surprised that this show is filmed so far in advance. At least Winning Streak is/was recorded on the same day, so there is less time for spoilers to be leaked.

Filmed on the set of the Saturday Night Show as well, apparently.

So we now know that Martin and Martin Jr will win €12,000 in 'Risky Business'... :o:D;)

20 Years from now....... Ryan Tubridy's son is Late Late Show newest host

"So Martin, you are a wealthy man now, but it wasn't always like that. So can you take me back and explain in detail how you made your first million"

"To be honest Ryan Junior, it was some gameshow and I have watched it multiple times since, and I am trying to work it out for 20 years"

Quite possibly the most predictable cut to the ad break since the show began. :o :rolleyes: :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Up, down sideways. RTE at the cutting edge as always.

So it's a tie-break... but we know how that's going to turn out. :o:D;)

Producers. " Nicky, we are thinking about giving you a job as host of a tv show with the potential winning prize of a million euro and, as part of the package, we want YOU to choose the format........ Have you any ideas of a game"

"Well when we were on tour, me and Kian used to play a game of picking boxes with numbers in them, it would make for great viewing as it is challenging and required all our intelligence"

"You are the boss, Nicky, how about a name, something catchy"

"what about the million euro challenge"

"How do you spell mime Nicky?"

How many times has it happened now that all the possible digits have been guessed in Guess the Digit until the right one has been found? :eek:

Anyway, time for history to be made...

There are no tactics whatsoever, Nicky. :rolleyes:

It would be funny if the leaks were hoaxes, and Martin and Martin didn't actually win the million this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

They will use the pyramid pass at some point now. Just wait & you will see it.

They will use the pyramid pass at some point now. Just wait & you will see it.

You looked at the photo in the Indo of them celebrating, didn't you? :D:);)

You looked at the photo in the Indo of them celebrating, didn't you? :D:);)

Yeah. You caught me out on that one, didn't ya? :D

• Advertisement

No palpable tension or special build up, just the usual confusion.

It's far from when Judith Keppel won her Million on ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

€ 1,000,000.00

• Registered Users Posts: 81,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This is now the happiest moment I have watched TV in my life, it replaces Packie Bonners penalty save from Daniel Timofte of Romania at the 1990 FIFA World Cup, sorry Packie.

Good luck to them, I wonder how much the other Martin will get?

I have a sudden urge to watch Quiz Show again ;)

Even though I knew the result of it already. All I can say to the two lads is Congratulations to them both & that I hope that the two lads enjoy spending that million quid along with their families for a long time to come.

:D

This is now the happiest moment I have watched TV in my life, it replaces Packie Bonners penalty save from Daniel Timofte of Romania at the 1990 FIFA World Cup, sorry Packie.

Really?? Not for me. I am absolutely delighted for them (I know them from drinking in Naas and they are the "ordanariest" decent type of family) but christ, I knew what was going to happen, it is life changing for them, not me and it is a ridiculous pot luck game!

EDIT, I don't know them personally but their a large extended family around the area

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

Martin was as cool as a breeze winning that million. Fair play.

Still doesn't make the show any better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah sh1t I missed it, someone throw up a Youtube link if they see it please?

Skid X wrote: »
    No palpable tension or special build up, just the usual confusion.

It's far from when Judith Keppel won her Million on ITV.

Not even a shout of "YES!!!!!" from Nicky when he revealed that final zero.

And no confetti, either - whereas, in stark contrast, Winning Streak brings the stuff down every week, regardless how much is won on the wheel.

As if that wasn't enough, no post-game interview with the Martins during the credits - whereas the five €100,000 winners so far all got one.

Thus, I can't resist posting the following image... :o:o;)

flatline.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

Thargor wrote: »
    Ah sh1t I missed it, someone throw up a Youtube link if they see it please?

It'll be on rte player in a bit: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/

I actually decided to watch (leave on in the background while I work on something more worthwhile) the whole programme for the first time this evening for some strange reason. Glad someone finally won the big prize.

Justifies the show's name now I suppose.

Now back to the Fianna Fail's leader's speech ... :pac:

Advertisement