Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Niall breslin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

How do we differ? He is an ex GAA/Rugby player, singer, musician, and TV personality (he was a gameshow host). They're not my opinions, they're facts.

Are you suggesting he's making up the fact he has suffered from depression? Perhaps he is "using" it to promote himself, I've no idea, I would say though, that if he was fighting cancer that no one would have the balls to come out and say "Ah sure he's only using the Cancer to promote himself". And that's the reason we still face huge difficulty with the attitudes surrounding mental health not being a "real" illness. That attitude needs to change.

You can't compare it to cancer to depression. If you did a survey of each condition untreated to a fatality ratio for each there would be no comparison.

That doesn't mean that i consider depression to be 'mickey mouse' condition either. My brother plays gaa, soccer and is a musician, probably not as well known as bressie, but he's also not as tall or as conventionally good looking as him either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

As for the depression thing? Lots of people talk about depression all the time. Why do Irish people need "celebrities" to talk down to them about everything. Anyway I'm not surprised he's depressed, listening to his "music".

Either you're intentionally missing the point, or you're retarded. Either way, no one said they "NEED" celebs to talk about depression, people said its beneficial when role models/popular culture/respectable people talk openly about it to help others feel at ease with it.

As for your last comment there, its fairly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Either you're intentionally missing the point, or you're retarded. Either way, no one said they "NEED" celebs to talk about depression, people said its beneficial when role models/popular culture/respectable people talk openly about it to help others feel at ease with it.

As for your last comment there, its fairly pathetic.

Don't fall off your high horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Don't fall off your high horse.

That cliché bears no relevance to what I said. Clearly you're missing the entire content of the conversation. Maybe you are retarded. If so, my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Really dragging out his depression. Theres an article every week talking about it.
    I originally thanked your post because it was funny, then heard Bressie on the radio speaking very eloquently and thoughtfully about mental health, and felt so bad I had to go back and unthank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

lufties wrote: »
    Yes, you seem the type that wouldn't dare go against popular opinion or think critically. Also the type that shouts down or insults anyone with a difference of opinion.

Isn't that what you've been doing?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

connundrum wrote: »
    Recently noted for his speech on depression:

I've never seen this before but now that I have my respect for him has increased dramatically.

Before that, I never really paid any attention to him. Not that he wasn't any good at what he does or anything, it's purely just that he never really featured on my radar, ever.

TGJD wrote: »
    Isn't that what you've been doing?

Absolutely not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fair play for his work with depression but he might be legitimately the least talented musician there has even been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Who is he?

Heard of his name but haven't a clue who he is.

Is Google down, or are you just too lazy to read the posts above yours?
    Oh I get it, you're trying to sound clever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Wilberto wrote: »
    I've never seen this before but now that I have my respect for him has increased dramatically.

Before that, I never really paid any attention to him. Not that he wasn't any good at what he does or anything, it's purely just that he never really featured on my radar, ever.

Can I ask, has it made you think differently about mental illness?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

What a know jockey imo

nc19 wrote: »
    What a know jockey imo

Is that a cross between a knob jockey and a know it all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

feckin new phone. was meant to be knob

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Larianne wrote: »
    Can I ask, has it made you think differently about mental illness?

As long as there are no follow up questions, it was actually because I could relate to it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Wilberto wrote: »
    As long as there are no follow up questions, it was actually because I could relate to it.:(

Oh. I won't ask any more questions.

I do hope it has helped you in even a small way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

He's a ride.

Beady eyes and a puffed up rugger's body. Pass. I'm sure he's gutted! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The Blizzards were ridiculously underrated imo.

Nah, they were Blandy McShíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Aidric wrote: »
    Likewise. He should be commended for his honesty on the struggles he has experienced with anxiety.

its always a good story for a known person to come out with. i heard it myself, didn't seem like he was in the pits tbh. active, rugby, tall, good looking, musician. anxiety, not a depression where one would say "f*** he crawled back from that". some people fire about that depression word like its tuesdays blues, or a 2-3month downer.

then the other about the kid who died from cancer, with a message for those who are suicidal. grand and all but not the same thing and given a pat on the back from those who can carry on saying "get up off your a*** sure look at those people dying in the cancer wards"

hmm yeah.

VEN wrote: »
    its always a good story for a known person to come out with. i heard it myself, didn't seem like he was in the pits tbh. active, rugby, tall, good looking, musician. anxiety, not a depression where one would say "f*** he crawled back from that". some people fire about that depression word like its tuesdays blues, or a 2-3month downer.

then the other about the kid who died from cancer, with a message for those who are suicidal. grand and all but not the same thing and given a pat on the back from those who can carry on saying "get up off your a*** sure look at those people dying in the cancer wards"

hmm yeah.

Yeah, I'm wondering is it actually about spreading awareness and a profile boost being an offshoot, or vice versa..

'Jaysus that bressie fella, shur he has the same thing as me..well he's a sound fella in my book'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Cue the 'who's he' replies..

Yes, I had to Google the name because I had no idea who he was. My rarely watching Irish TV probably didn't help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Mentioned him to a friend and all I hear back is her going... Oh he's a ride.

Thanks AH, real feckin helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

He comes across very well and it's hard not to like the chap. You also have to admire his stark honesty because there's nothing really to gain from being so open. I mean due to The Voice he already had a big enough profile in Ireland so I don't see anything cynical.

What I find gas though is the attitude on here towards him. I remember one particular poster who suffered from depression saying in the previous thread that he didn't like Bressie because he felt he didn't represent "the real side of depression" i.e. because he's good looking with a high profile.

Kind of ironic given the old mantra of depression having many faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Don't know him personally, never met him, but heard horror stories from mates on college nights out where he was djing who said he was ride an obnoxious.

His bird, on the other hand- I'd use her sh*t for toothpaste

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Yeah, I'm wondering is it actually about spreading awareness and a profile boost being an offshoot, or vice versa..

'Jaysus that bressie fella, shur he has the same thing as me..well he's a sound fella in my book'

yea its a profile boost, no doubt. anxiety and depression are not the same. they can come together though. "yea i couldn't go outside the door, or if i'd game on i couldn't go, or i couldn't get up on the stage and dj" yea social anxiety. he just needed a few more rides and his career to take off, grand then. not a bother on him now i bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Just seems to me like he's speaking about his depression publicly, in order to help others. Brave thing to do IMO, particularly when he has already cultivated a non vulnerable persona.
    The hostility towards him is probably jealousy - of the way he's considered really good-looking, and has been a rugby-player, musician and presenter. I do not say such a thing lightly, but he comes across as a completely unremarkable, benign person, so why else would be people be full of venom towards him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Many us will have a major depressive episode at some stage of our lives. Others, unfortunately, will have continuing and ongoing problems with depression. I think it's really admirable that he has come out and spoken about his depression with such candour and honesty. If even one person decides to get help as a result of his openness about this then it has been a hugely worthwhile endeavour.

He's not preaching rocket science. He extols the virtues of talk therapy, exercise, good diet, mindfulness and learning to appreciate who you are. It's all very practical stuff. Good on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He seems to be a jack of all trades, master of none. RTE seem to have hitched their wagon to him and are giving him a platform. He must have connections in there.

Fair play to him for speaking out about mental illness. Though that's no reason to have him on the Voice and all the other RTE nonsense he appears on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Wasn't he on all those things before talking about his depression though?

I wouldn't blame him for RTÉ recruiting mediocrity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... he comes across as a completely unremarkable, benign person, so why else would be people be full of venom towards him?
    This is AH, so people who like to have a go at others are likely to turn up and have a go.

But I have just checked back over the thread, and it seems that there are more posters in favour of his speaking out about depressive illnesses than there are posters against it. Don't be misled by one energetic opponent.

Advertisement