Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Niall breslin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

My gripe with Bressie is that he's only on the voice based on his looks. All the other judges have had real international success, even Kian Egan. I hate this celebrity as a career thing.

I'd say the same if they had Jessica Alba on there judging music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

I'm not much of a fan of celebrities in general. I know very little about this guy but he seems to be talented in many ways. More talented than me, better looking too, so credit where it's due.

I can think of a lot of other Irish "talent" that I'd rather didn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

lufties wrote: »
    Talk ****? Really? Is that what they call having a different opinion or discussion is called these days?

Go off now like a good little sheep.

Sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Aidric wrote: »
    Sheep?

Yes, you seem the type that wouldn't dare go against popular opinion or think critically. Also the type that shouts down or insults anyone with a difference of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Yes, you seem the type that wouldn't dare go against popular opinion or think critically. Also the type that shouts down or insults anyone with a difference of opinion.

Au contraire. Do you honestly believe that he would go public about his battle with depression in an effort to 'inflate his ego' as you put it?

• Advertisement

Sheep?

Au contraire. Do you honestly believe that he would go public about his battle with depression in an effort to 'inflate his ego' as you put it?

Yes of course..maybe not the sole reason but definitely one of the main ones I'd say. He tried to revive his music career a few years ago and it was cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The lovechild of Desperate Dan and an uncooked chop.

Yes of course..maybe not the sole reason but definitely one of the main ones I'd say. He tried to revive his music career a few years ago and it was cringeworthy.

Would you say the same if he was battling cancer or motor neurone disease?

Mod

Don't get personal.

• Advertisement

Would you say the same if he was battling cancer or motor neurone disease?

Motor neurones is not treatable and depression is not generally life threatening with proper treatment so they can't really be compared.

Saying that, being a sufferer of depression myself, I'm not making light of his condition. Theslre just smells of something contrived since he's in the media every 2 minutes talking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Good for him talking about it constantly if it means one less person feels ashamed of having the same feelings

Motor neurones is not treatable and depression is not generally life threatening with proper treatment so they can't really be compared.

Saying that, being a sufferer of depression myself, I'm not making light of his condition. Theslre just smells of something contrived since he's in the media every 2 minutes talking about it.

Depression can and in too many cases does end in suicide if not treated, so yes, they are comparable. Too many people in this country die because of depression, because the attitudes to mental health are that it is not on par with physical illnesses.

This guy, a man who has been a GAA player, a rugby player, a singer, a musician, a TV personality i.e. Someone who our youth might actually look up to is speaking out and using his fame to normalise this atrocious condition, he should be applauded, not ridiculed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Perhaps you're not making light of it, but you're certainly very against his speaking out about it. As a sufferer (if that's the right word) of depression yourself, I'm sure you would agree that Bressie would switch any publicity he might gain from speaking out with not having to deal with depression at all. You make it sound like he's almost glad to have this issue, because it gives him access to easy publicity.

I honestly can't understand what the problem is. Firstly, it's not like his presence is everywhere, and secondly- every single other issue in society- be it poverty, cancer research, children's welfare etc all use celebrities (whether we deem them to be a celebrity ourselves or not, which is irrelevant) to raise awareness for their cause. Are we to assume the stars that champion these causes are only in it for the publicity too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Please stop digging yourself a massive hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I would ride him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I think you can view it both ways.
    He does appear to be using it as a tool for self promotion, that doesn't stop it being a good thing that he is talking about it though if any kids that are effected by it listen.
    Depression can and in too many cases does end in suicide if not treated, so yes, they are comparable. Too many people in this country die because of depression, because the attitudes to mental health are that it is not on par with physical illnesses.

true but rates of depression are huge particularly if you look at it over peoples lifetimes the suicide rate is minuscule in comparison (though far too high obviously) and AFAIK it doesn't actually match the demographic groups that are actually most at risk of suicide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I really don't see the appeal of him. Average muscian, less than average DJ... and I don't find him at all good looking, although it sometimes seems like I'm the only female to think so at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

sup_dude wrote: »
    I really don't see the appeal of him. Average muscian, less than average DJ... and I don't find him at all good looking, although it sometimes seems like I'm the only female to think so at times.

He's got a guitar and plays rugby, woman what more can you ask for :P

I don't really understand why he inspires such annoyance in people though, and I find him annoying its just undefinable I think

sup_dude wrote: »

You're not. I don't find him in the least bit attractive and would have zero interest in his music.

I still think he's brave for standing up and speaking publicly about his own demons though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

He's got a guitar and plays rugby, woman what more can you ask for :P

I don't really understand why he inspires such annoyance in people though, and I find him annoying its just undefinable I think

So do many other people :P

What annoys me is the worship like way people talk about his appearance. Conversations generally go like "Bressie is coming to this venue" "Oh my god, he's such a ride!". No discussion on whether they want to go see him as a musician. But that's just in my experience. I've no idea what he's like as a person and don't watch shows such as the Voice so don't know anything about him. Just mentioning him now brings annoyance, but that's most likely a learned response. His very presence ensues a torrent of slightly hysterical babble and since I don't see the appeal, I just tend to get irritated as normally rational people become overwhelmed by the idea of him.

This guy, a man who has been a GAA player, a rugby player, a singer, a musician, a TV personality i.e. Someone who our youth might actually look up to is speaking out and using his fame to normalise this atrocious condition, he should be applauded, not ridiculed.

Ah well thats where we differ, I see a below average musician/singer and 'tv personality' is also stretching it. I also see a bloke who needs to boost his profile and using a subject that, at the moment is one of that is very sensitive in ireland doesn't do him any harm. Also, its a great way to appeal to a male demographic.

Saying all that, I'm sure he is a decent bloke too.

By the way, there's no need to emote to me about depression and suicide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What's a kerbdog?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

When you are in a room with someone from westlife someone from the saturdays and someone who used to be in s club 7 and you're STILL the least talented person in that room, you know you're doing something wrong!

As for the depression thing? Lots of people talk about depression all the time. Why do Irish people need "celebrities" to talk down to them about everything. Anyway I'm not surprised he's depressed, listening to his "music".

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What's a kerbdog?

From the internet:
    Kerbdog - A grunge band from Kilkenny in southern Ireland who begain writing in 1991.

Ah well thats where we differ, I see a below average musician/singer and 'tv personality' is also stretching it. I also see a bloke who needs to boost his profile and using a subject that, at the moment is one of that is very sensitive in ireland doesn't do him any harm. Also, its a great way to appeal to a male demographic.

Saying all that, I'm sure he is a decent bloke too.

By the way, there's no need to emote to me about depression and suicide.

How do we differ? He is an ex GAA/Rugby player, singer, musician, and TV personality (he was a gameshow host). They're not my opinions, they're facts.

Are you suggesting he's making up the fact he has suffered from depression? Perhaps he is "using" it to promote himself, I've no idea, I would say though, that if he was fighting cancer that no one would have the balls to come out and say "Ah sure he's only using the Cancer to promote himself". And that's the reason we still face huge difficulty with the attitudes surrounding mental health not being a "real" illness. That attitude needs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Always seems like a likeable soul to me, I'd be happy to have a few pints with the man, I'm sure we've all kept worse company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Musically he was much better with The Blizzards than his attempted solo career because I saw them and him live. I don't see how a person looks has got to do with anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

When you are in a room with someone from westlife someone from the saturdays and someone who used to be in s club 7 and you're STILL the least talented person in that room, you know you're doing something wrong!

As for the depression thing? Lots of people talk about depression all the time. Why do Irish people need "celebrities" to talk down to them about everything. Anyway I'm not surprised he's depressed, listening to his "music".

To be fair, chart success does not equal talent. I'd rather listen to him than Kian, Una or Rachel any day. And I have no interest in his music or his looks- I just know from what I've heard of him that he's at least as talented as Una and definitely more talented than the other two.

And I don't think he's talking "down" to people, merely raising awareness. And yeah, maybe it does help his image/exposure, but sure what harm if it's helping others emotionally in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

The Blizzards were decent live.

Advertisement