Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm still fairly confused as to why the Presidential age limit referendum looks like it won't pass. People seem to be equating the possibility for a 21 year old to run for president with being forced to have a 21 year old president.

It's such a weird restriction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm still fairly confused as to why the Presidential age limit referendum looks like it won't pass. People seem to be equating the possibility for a 21 year old to run for president with being forced to have a 21 year old president.

It's such a weird restriction.

I don't think a 21 year old should ever be president. So I don't even think the possibility, however remote, should exist. I can't vote (of course) but I'd be definitely voting against this one.

Go with the Swiss system, where the president rotates in a nice pre-agreed manner every year, no-one knows who the president is, and no-one cares. Be Swiss, be boring!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's a Presidential age limit referendum?!

There's a Presidential age limit referendum?!

Yeah, to lower the limit from the current 35 to 21 (why not 18 is beyond me).
    Swiwi. wrote: »
    I don't think a 21 year old should ever be president. So I don't even think the possibility, however remote, should exist. I can't vote (of course) but I'd be definitely voting against this one.

Go with the Swiss system, where the president rotates in a nice pre-agreed manner every year, no-one knows who the president is, and no-one cares. Be Swiss, be boring!

I don't think Sinn Fein should ever be in government. So I won't vote for them. But I don't want them banned...

• Administrators Posts: 53,682 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Dude. Season three!?! Seriously? You need to spend less time with the wife and kids and more time catching up on great tv.

Oops, I meant season 5. The current one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

35 is too high a limit though in my eyes. Also in reality the chances of a 21 year old becoming president are rather slim. A 30 year old though? Remember that Collins was 32 when he was killed...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't understand why there needs to be a limit either. I mean I don't think a zombified Nazi should be elected president, or a Munster fan should be elected president, but luckily it's a democratic process so it's unlikely either would ever happen unless they were truly exceptional, in which case there's no point limiting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Don't see what's the issue with the chance of it being allowed. Why vote against it(if you could)
    What age is "fair" and "correct" to be eligible to run for president?
    Yeah, to lower the limit from the current 35 to 21 (why not 18 is beyond me).

I don't think Sinn Fein should ever be in government. So I won't vote for them. But I don't want them banned...
    You cant run for the Dail until 21 so its linked to that..

P_1 wrote: »
    35 is too high a limit though in my eyes. Also in reality the chances of a 21 year old becoming president are rather slim. A 30 year old though? Remember that Collins was 32 when he was killed...

Ha, I was about to make that exact point re Collins.

The chances of a 21 year old becoming president are essentially non-existent. That's not really the point though. There is no restriction on the age of the Taoiseach, and rightly so. I completely fail to understand why we should be restricting adults from running for the office. It seems bizarre to me.

You cant run for the Dail until 21 so its linked to that..

Ah, I didn't actually know that.

Fair enough...though I still think that's weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ha, I was about to make that exact point re Collins.

The chances of a 21 year old becoming president are essentially non-existent. That's not really the point though. There is no restriction on the age of the Taoiseach, and rightly so. I completely fail to understand why we should be restricting adults from running for the office. It seems bizarre to me.

Ironic seeing as the president has about as much power as a last ditch Rob Kearney tackle...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What age are POC and BOD? 35? Grand so, we don't need a change...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,119 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If you can be in parliament at 21, you should be allowed be president at 21, in my opinion.

I also like that the new wording will make it gender neutral, and remove ambiguity about the age - technically, you reach your 35th year when you are 34.
    Every citizen who has reached his thirty-fifth year of age is eligible for election to the office of President.

to:

Every citizen who has reached the age of twenty-one years is eligible for election to the office of President.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

If a person below that age and are competent enough to convince enough people to vote for them then having an age barrier to restrict them is nonsense. Then again if you were a 21 year old who could feasibly win the presidential election why would you bother running for that office when it's literally a position not regarded as important. You'd much rather try to get elected to Dáil Éireann and actually try to make a difference.

Make 35 the maximum age to be a politician. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Make 35 the maximum age to be a politician. Simples.

Largely unrelated question: was 'simples' a word in that context before the compare the meerkat ads, because I can only hear it in a Russian accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153202635472856&id=17819162855&_rdr
    Hope this shows, hadn't seen it before and mad skills !
    :)

Heroine drug smugglers in Indonesia, due for execution tonight

Yeah?
    Meh?
    Nay?

(1 person a day dies from a drug overdose in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Yeah?
    Meh?
    Nay?

Firing squad is a bit draconian but they knew the rules so I can't have much sympathy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The law is the law but the war on drugs is pretty ludicrous I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Yeah?
    Meh?
    Nay?

Indonesia where female genital mutilation is enshrined in law..... Great bunch of lads altogether,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,608 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah?
    Meh?
    Nay?

Dude, this is boards, we can't discuss ongoing court cases, we might effect the outcome remember!

When I was in the Philippines they had notices everywhere saying it was punishable by death. I've heard Indonesia is the same. Heroin is am awful drug. I've not got much sympathy for them.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Dude, this is boards, we can't discuss ongoing court cases, we might effect the outcome remember!

When I was in the Philippines they had notices everywhere saying it was punishable by death. I've heard Indonesia is the same. Heroin is am awful drug. I've not got much sympathy for them.

It's amazing how worked up people get about this. When u smuggle heroine you only have one aim: make money. Lots of it. You don't care about the people who take the drug, the effects of their drug-taking, or the associated crime (burglaries etc) that go with it. It's not like cannabis which might be used for its medicinal properties. There are no redeeming features to heroin. I feel genuine pity for the family of the Buckley girl, but really for hard-drug smugglers who knew Indonesia's hardline laws it's a bit hard to get too worked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

They can murder as many mules as they want, it won't have any effect on the drug trade. I wonder how many of the police officers and officials involved in the Indonesian drug squads are getting money from the dealers?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »
    Oops, I meant season 5. The current one.

There are a lot of things happening in season 5 that just haven't made the books yet.

But yes, there are also things that happen in the tv series and not in the books - but it's not really that far off.

• Administrators Posts: 53,682 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

.ak wrote: »
    There are a lot of things happening in season 5 that just haven't made the books yet.

But yes, there are also things that happen in the tv series and not in the books - but it's not really that far off.

I think most of the differences are due to missing characters in the TV series, presumably because having too many main characters costs too much and can also cause viewer confusion.

But it's pretty far apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's amazing how worked up people get about this. When u smuggle heroine you only have one aim: make money. Lots of it. You don't care about the people who take the drug, the effects of their drug-taking, or the associated crime (burglaries etc) that go with it. It's not like cannabis which might be used for its medicinal properties. There are no redeeming features to heroin.

I don't feel much sympathy but, on the topic of heroin anecdotally, there was some interesting comments on it in Paul Howard's book, The Joy (yes, Ross O'Carroll Kelly used be a proper journalist once upon a time). The book is basically an account of one inmate's life on heroin while enjoying repeated long term visits to Mountjoy Prison. Pretty bleak life and he was surrounded by low life vermin as well as being one himself.

At the end of the book, he has contracted AIDS from needle sharing and is in hospital, knowing his life is on the wind down. He meets an old accomplice and breaks the news. His chum informs him that he too has recently been diagnosed and will soon be enjoying pitchforks in his arse for eternity also.

Then the mate asks him something along the lines of "If you knew then what you know now....that you'll be in and out of the clink for your life, stealing and begging, before eventually dying due to it......if you could go back...would you take that first hit?" The bloke thought about it and replied "Yes". His mate responded "So would I.".

I think heroin is an utterly horrific drug but that ending always stayed with me. It doesn't make heroin glamorous whatsoever in the book but that gave an insight into just how high it made people and how addictive it is.

How sh*t must life be for some people that they evaluate that life with heroin to be better than the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

In reality this can be directly attributed to prohibition, as can drug related crime. It's interesting that pharmaceutical grade heroin does no damage to the body's organs, obviously there is still a risk of overdose but it's far lessened by consistency in purity. Prohibition is the abdication of responsibility by the state.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    In reality this can be directly attributed to prohibition, as can drug related crime. It's interesting that pharmaceutical grade heroin does no damage to the body's organs, obviously there is still a risk of overdose but it's far lessened by consistency in purity. Prohibition is the abdication of responsibility by the state.

I'm one of those people who just gets bored in such debates.

Sorry :o

(I'll discreetly leave the off-topic thread, and head back to rugby...)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement