Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you wash your jeans?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

You've been in Germany too long Aongus, I haven't seen this style on Irish men since the late 90's, unless it's making a recent comeback? It's all straight leg and sketchers nowadays, or skinny jeans on lads in their 20's, no longer bootcut and jackboots (and I think the only reason for the exaggerated bootcut with the frayed ends was lads taking a scissors to the inside seam!).

There is still holdouts like me and since they still sell bootcut in Penneys I know others are out there :cool:, I've two pairs of fairly skinny jeans which I can sort of pull of since I'm tall and skinny but they me look like I'm wearing clown shoes :(

On the washing thing about 4/5 wears, do the people who wear them forever not get that horrible sort of slimey feeling of them if they don't wash them for ages or is my body just particularly disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Levi's by any chance? I noticed this too, and the stitching on the arse used go threadbare in them very quickly too, almost like they were still charging the same price but sacrificing quality!

I find that with most jeans nowadays bar the really pricey ones, which I wouldn't/couldn't go near. The jeans I'm wearing now are the ideal pair of jeans. Really flattering fit, no **** all over them and good quality denim. Bought them in Zara in 2013, so went back there to get another pair before Christmas as they always have them in stock and they had the same brand, same style but with cheap, shiny denim that felt like it would fall apart after a few wears.

Showers of shysters!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Button flies are the business when you get sick of zips busting all the time! At least with button flies you can close them back up, but zips? :o

I think I've only over had 1 or 2 pairs of jeans where the zip has bust. The hassle of undoing/doing up all the buttons every time you went to the toilet would drive me insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

I've had the same jeans on for four days now
    I'm gonna go to a disco in the middle of the town
    Everybody's dressing up
    I'm dressing down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Pig Ignorant Paddy

5starpool wrote: »
    I think I've only over had 1 or 2 pairs of jeans where the zip has bust. The hassle of undoing/doing up all the buttons every time you went to the toilet would drive me insane.

One of the main advantages of buttons is that there is no chance of getting the skin off your foreskin, shaft and/or ballsac caught in a zip. And the agony, distress and blind panic that comes about as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I find that with most jeans nowadays bar the really pricey ones, which I wouldn't/couldn't go near. The jeans I'm wearing now are the ideal pair of jeans. Really flattering fit, no **** all over them and good quality denim. Bought them in Zara in 2013, so went back there to get another pair before Christmas as they always have them in stock and they had the same brand, same style but with cheap, shiny denim that felt like it would fall apart after a few wears.

Showers of shysters!

Blend (she) are are really nice brand I find. Hard to find here though and the sizing is all European.
    The pair I'm wearing I've had since I was in 17/18!

Pennys ones don't last long at all and never stretch back to the original shape after washing. And dye my legs blue at times too :pac:

You've been in Germany too long Aongus, I haven't seen this style on Irish men since the late 90's, unless it's making a recent comeback? It's all straight leg and sketchers nowadays, or skinny jeans on lads in their 20's, no longer bootcut and jackboots (and I think the only reason for the exaggerated bootcut with the frayed ends was lads taking a scissors to the inside seam!).

Jeans that are too narrow down look good either imo, skinny jeans look terrible (aside from the fact I dont know how they are comfortable for a man) they are tight around the ankle and don't sit over shoes or pair of runners. To look right jeans need to be at least somewhat sit over shoes imo. A small bit of boot cut is ok but ones that are very flared are don't look great either.

Diesel make very nice jeans and they are probably my favorite, bought my first pair of Levis 501's in years recently and they are a nice jean too.

I dont mind spending up and over the 100 euro on jeans as I wear them every day for work and also wear jeans 9 times out of 10 when socializing unless I want to dress up a bit more and wear chinos (straight leg ones now not the old fashioned loose type).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Very rarely, actually I only wash them when theres a noticeable stain on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Wibbs wrote: »
    The extreme not washing jeans comes from hipsters who want to get "authentic" fades on raw denim, so they can look like great depression era miners and farmers while they sip their lattes in their cubicle. AKA total arse. Apparently some of them keep them "clean" by sticking them in the freezer to kill the bacteria. From hard wearing work wear for hard working men to a uniform for tossers in a couple of generations. Mad eh?
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh sure MD, but I meant the whole raw selvedge denim made on handlooms by Japanese virgins, costing 400 quid a pair, bought three sizes too big with ten inch turnups on them type tosspots. Who advise their fellow tosspots to not wash them for as long as possible, until the "fades" come in and the arse seam has burst(washing tightens the fibres and so makes them last longer).
    When was wearing raw denim a hipster thing?When you search the term in Google images it not exactly the clientele you'd expect to see at an Animal Collective gig that are coming up, is it? And 10-inch turn-ups sounds about as hip as fake Abercrombie polos bought form a stall on Henry Street in the run up to Christmas.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

One of the main advantages of buttons is that there is no chance of getting the skin off your foreskin, shaft and/or ballsac caught in a zip. And the agony, distress and blind panic that comes about as a result.

Only happened me once thankfully (and that nearly 20 years ago, and that was the result of an over keen girlfriend who was having a fondle in that region in the hall of the house she lived in when her housemate opened the front door and the zip got pulled back up sharpish. Considering I was practically doubled up on the floor of the hall holding my crotch, I think the housemate might have figured out there was something going on.

I've been extra careful to tuck myself well into the boxers before the zip gets engaged ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I do have a nice pair of Diesel triple-stitched jeans that I might wear when going for a drive,

Who in the hell goes for a drive anymore and has jeans set aside to do it?:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Levi's by any chance? I noticed this too, and the stitching on the arse used go threadbare in them very quickly too, almost like they were still charging the same price but sacrificing quality!
    Yep, I'd agree with you. Levi's can be very variable and not just over time. Where they're made can make a big difference. Turkish made are the best IMH and IME, better denim, double stitched. Chinese ones are dirt. The ones made in the UK were bloody nice too, but sadly that factory closed down. Japanese made are gorgeous, but thin on the ground on this side of the globe.
    The mental images :pac:

You're going to hate the latest trend in women's jeans then Wibbs - "boy-fit" jeans or "boyfriend" jeans! :D

What's with the name? Well, they have extra room for an invisible gooch! :pac: While the men's jeans are becoming ball constrictors, the women's jeans are making room to stuff a sock down there! :confused:
    Da fuq? *goes on murderous spree*, though on the other hand boyfriend jeans would be more for the lankier thinner lady which I dig so...
    5starpool wrote: »
    505 are the zip equivalent in the Levi shops. I assume it's the same over here with Levi's but it's been many years since I've bought jeans in Ireland.
    Yep 505's are 501's with a zip. The price difference between the states and here is mad Ted. Half the price and more. Then again time was 501's et al were day to day "cheaper" jeans, the generic as it were and maybe Levi's know Americans remember that so can't flog them at the silly prices they go for here.
    When was wearing raw denim a hipster thing?When you search the term in Google images it not exactly the clientele you'd expect to see at an Animal Collective gig that are coming up, is it?
    Though the appeal has spread beyond that enclave, the raw denim fades "authentic" look is very much a hipster thing, particularly in the US. Also a thing with the hipster subgroup who try to look like lumberjacks. Another subgroup would be older hipster types 50+ with a similar lumberjack man of the woods look. Nouveau hippies really, oft found in advertising and such.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Who in the hell goes for a drive anymore and has jeans set aside to do it?:eek:

My partner and I will often go for a drive at the weekend to visit a local museum, attraction or scenic area. Get out and about if the weather or season isn't conclusive to hiking or skiing. Stop in at a local kneipe afterwards for a bite to eat.

It's certainly a more useful exercise than sitting in front of the TV playing the xbox and pretending to shoot other soldiers. In my humble opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Nope, no single brand.

Actually, this thread is a good chance to ask: What are good places to buy jeans online, or even just in Dublin/town?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Cos they look bang on with a Ben Sherman shirt and a pair of brown brogues.

country_zps4162bfdd.jpg
    "Going out" clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

On the subject of jeans: what is it with Irishmen and their love of boot cut jeans? A most unflattering cut, and few things more tatty than the bottom of the legs of the jeans all frayed and tattered.

Cos they look bang on with a Ben Sherman shirt and a pair of brown brogues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Nope, no single brand.

Actually, this thread is a good chance to ask: What are good places to buy jeans online, or even just in Dublin/town?

Topshop jeans aren't awful. They're a bit overpriced imo but they last longer than most of the other highstreet brands and they do have a good range of styles and sizes. There'd definitely be no bother getting a pair of plain old no-nonsense ordinary jeans there anyways.

I tend to just keep an eye out for American Eagle/Levis/Ralph Lauren in charity shops and pick em up when I see them. Men's jeans tend to be better made too, men's clothes in general in fact, but jeans are definitely the hardest to cross dress in. Fcuking hipbones :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Topshop jeans aren't awful. They're a bit overpriced imo but they last longer than most of the other highstreet brands and they do have a good range of styles and sizes. There'd definitely be no bother getting a pair of plain old no-nonsense ordinary jeans there anyways.

I tend to just keep an eye out for American Eagle/Levis/Ralph Lauren in charity shops and pick em up when I see them. Men's jeans tend to be better made too, men's clothes in general in fact, but jeans are definitely the hardest to cross dress in. Fcuking hipbones :mad:

I'm just laughing to myself here because for some "I'm damned if I know!" reason, I have the same trouble getting jeans to fit at the hips! They go over the hips (Simon Cowell style!), under the hips (Snoop Dogg style), but every time I look in the damn mirror, there's those big jutting out damn butterfly hips effect! :pac:

It's not just the hip dysplasia though, that's only my right hip which has issues of it's own with the way the femur juts out of the socket (looks like I'm packing something extra* :pac:), there's definitely something not right about 'em, so it's not just the ladies have trouble finding men's jeans to fit! :D

*The visual effect is minimised when I'm wearing ordinary black trousers... thankfully! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'm wearing a pair of Nudie jeans right now and they haven't been washed since I bought them about a month ago. Granted I haven't worn them every day, probably around 60% of that time. I'm not going to wash them for another couple of months though.
    I have a few pairs of these and they all got the same treatment. When I do wash them it'll be a cool wash with the jeans turned inside out and very little detergent.
    I'm no hipster, latte drinking, spectacle wearing, fixie bike type either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

My partner and I will often go for a drive at the weekend to visit a local museum, attraction or scenic area. Get out and about if the weather or season isn't conclusive to hiking or skiing. Stop in at a local kneipe afterwards for a bite to eat.

It's certainly a more useful exercise than sitting in front of the TV playing the xbox and pretending to shoot other soldiers. In my humble opinion.

Loosen that ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I've a few i wear to work, I wash em like every 2nd or third wear..due to the amount of chemical burns on em it would probably disintegrate them if I washed em every time! PPE my arse..

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I wash my jeans after a couple of wears. I hate when they start to take on the shape of my legs - more of an issue with skinny jeans. Washing them gets them back in shape.

eternal wrote: »
    Loosen that ass.

Purile comment.

I know there are certain industries where wearing denim is considered perfectly normal when heading in to work. From retail up to IT companies like Google. They've loosened the dress code. It's modernity. Why wear a suit when we have a pool table in the common area type of stuff.

I work in an environment where formal dress is expected. A 2-piece and tie is the dress etiquette. It exudes an air of formality and professionalism that sets a precedence for what we do. I'll admit to getting annoyed when I see some IT chap up looking at a computer wearing jeans, a jumper and a pair of Converse runners. The folk from our Indian outsource partner, Wipro, always manage to make an effort.

Loosen that ass.

Purile comment.

I know there are certain industries where wearing denim is considered perfectly normal when heading in to work. From retail up to IT companies like Google. They've loosened the dress code. It's modernity. Why wear a suit when we have a pool table in the common area type of stuff.

I work in an environment where formal dress is expected. A 2-piece and tie is the dress etiquette. It exudes an air of formality and professionalism that sets a precedence for what we do. I'll admit to getting annoyed when I see some IT chap up looking at a computer wearing jeans, a jumper and a pair of Converse runners. The folk from our Indian outsource partner, Wipro, always manage to make an effort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Purile comment.

Converse! The travesty!

Converse! The travesty!

Wearing a pair of old converse to work might be fine if you work in a new startup. But if you want to appear professional in a non-IT organisation, then you should dress in the same manner as those who carry out the work considered the core competencies of the organisation. Wandering up to the desk dressed like someone going to a Metallica gig after work really doesn't cut it. As I said, the IT professionals (yes, professionals) who come here from India always manage to work out the dress code thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Hardly ever. I dont wear them for work so they dont really get dirty.

Why are people still wearing jeans to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

It cost a bit, but it was worth it, i got Pilkington jeans, love to see them shine :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Three wears would be the max, unless they get dirty. With a baby in the house, I rarely get the three wears anyways. Even if they looked clean, I'd feel a bit manky wearing them more than that without a wash. Even apart from the fact that they're against your skin all day, the bottoms of them are down near the ground all day, picking up all sorts of crap! And then you're traipsing all that crap around your house when you get home. Ick! I'm not a germaphobe at all, but I do think it's quite disgusting not to wash any item of clothing (excluding outerwear) after 2-3 wears at most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Topshop jeans aren't awful. They're a bit overpriced imo but they last longer than most of the other highstreet brands and they do have a good range of styles and sizes. There'd definitely be no bother getting a pair of plain old no-nonsense ordinary jeans there anyways

They seem to be the least awful of the awful of the jeans I saw but the denim is still flimsy (although nice looking) and they're pricey for what you get. I almost bought them out of defeat but I'm hoping Zara will cop on soon and stock these lovely jeans again if I complain enough on an Irish discussion forum. Here's hopin'!.

Advertisement