Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should France be allowed to ban the Burka?

Options
  • 08-01-2015 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Should they since they are all about freedom of expression?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Warper wrote: »

They can legislate for what they want.
    France is not a 'Muslim country. And
    such 'freedom of expression' (sic) contradicts basic French principles of equality, fraternity and liberty and notably are a serious security issue in public where they allow individuals to hide their identies. And don't even try and tell me all Muslim women wish to or have any choice in wearing the burka. Even in France Muslim women have had acid thrown on them by fellow Muslims for dressing 'immodestly' ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

gozunda wrote: »
    They can legislate for what they want.
    France is not a 'Muslim country. And
    such 'freedom of expression' and contradicts basic French principles of equality, fraternity and liberty and notably are a serious security issue in public where they allow individuals to hide their identies. And don't even try and tell me all Muslim women wish to or have any choice in wearing the burka. Even in France Muslim women have had acid thrown on them by fellow Muslims for dressing 'immodestly' ...

That is backed up by what? The numerous incidents of burka wearing people committing evil crimes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

No frickin' way! How else can ya boil enough water for 500 cups of tae?! Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes each country should be able to legislate whatever they want, some countries want people to not drink, have women walk behind men like dogs, not let women drive cars etc etc, if you don't like the legislation don't live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Lets give women the freedom to wear what they want by telling them they can't wear a certain thing

• Advertisement

That is backed up by what? The numerous incidents of burka wearing people committing evil crimes?

Even in some Muslim countries - women are obliged to remove head coverings for security purposes.

But yes indeed

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/crime/2014/11/19/men_dressed_in_burkas_steal_500000_in_jewelry.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008641/Hunt-burka-raider-Man-dressed-Muslim-woman-caught-CCTV-robbing-travel-agencies.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2601721/Smash-DRAG-Gang-men-dressed-burkas-pretended-rich-Muslim-women-steal-designer-watches-worth-1-4million-Selfridges.html

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2011/phyllis-chesler/terrorists-in-drag-bombs-beneath-the-burqa/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/8694814/Burka-clad-female-suicide-bomber-detonates-in-Pakistan.html

There are many many more examples

Your point is what exactly? That Muslims terrorists are validated in shooting others because France won't enable them to impose restrictions on half the Muslim population?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Yes each country should be able to legislate whatever they want, some countries want people to not drink, have women walk behind men like dogs, not let women drive cars etc etc, if you don't like the legislation don't live there.

Mad why the West want rid of the North Korean leader so isnt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Ban the bra first I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

No frickin' way! How else can ya boil enough water for 500 cups of tae?! Disgraceful.

The local Pioneer annual dinner dance would be chaos :(

1210m5g wrote: »
    Lets give women the freedom to wear what they want by telling them they can't wear a certain thing

Many Muslim woman don't have that 'choice'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

The right to safety outweighs the right to wear what you want.

People can call it islamphobic, or racist all they want but being around someone covered completely head to toe, other then their eyes, is a frightening situation. Really anybody could be in a burka. Dangerous or otherwise

We ban hoods and helmets in places. Anything that does not reveal your face should not be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Many Muslim woman don't have that 'choice'.

Should those who choose to wear one be banned from doing so?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A custom which oppresses women? Should have been banned ages ago.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

France can do what it likes. I'm not even sure why it is banned there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

We all should. When in Rome etc. I have covered up in Muslim /Buddhist countries as a mark of respect and in some cases law. I whole heartedly would support the banning of the Burqa here.

RayM wrote: »
    Should those who choose to wear one be banned from doing so?

France can choose to legislate in order that no women can be forced to do so. France is not a Muslim country. Women visiting many middle eastern countries are banned from wearing bikinis / shorts / tee shirts I don't see to many protesting about that here ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

France can choose to legislate in order that no women can be forced to do so. France is not a Muslim country. Women visiting many middle eastern countries are banned from wearing bikinis / shorts / tee shirts I don't see to many protesting about that here ...

So western countries should act a bit more like Middle Eastern countries then, when deciding what people can and cannot wear? I'm not sure I like that, to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

So western countries should act a bit more like Middle Eastern countries then, when deciding what people can and cannot wear? I'm not sure I like that, to be honest...

But it isn't a case if controlling for any other reason then safety.

Lau2976 wrote: »
    But it isn't a case if controlling for any

other reason then safety.

^^^ this and

And importantly the reason behind the French legislation comes not from some archaic interpretation of an ancient religous text but rational national legislation

I actually own a Burka, i bought one last year for a fancy dress party, i enjoyed wearing it so much i have worn it a few times in the last year.

• Advertisement

I actually own a Burka, i bought one last year for a fancy dress party, i enjoyed wearing it so much i have worn it a few times in the last year.

Doing what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Its their decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Shoplifting? I've seen it happen more than once. No security guard would do anything about it for fear of being accused of racism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

They absolutely should not ban them. However, there is absolutely no reason why those who chose to wear them should not have to show their faces where everybody else has to - in banks or airports, for example.
    Freedom of religion should only entitle you to equal treatment. Not exceptional treatment. You wanna pass through an airport in a bin bag? Tough sh!t sister. Take it off, or find another way.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

The ban is about all face covering in a public and was not specifically aimed at muslims.
    I know others will come in now and say it was, but the european court of human rights doesnt agree with them.
    This has been done before on another thread and yes France absolutely has the right to legislate how it sees fit in accordance with EU law

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

They look loike Bin bags - I'm burnin me Y-fronts in protest .... ;)

As I said Women visiting many middle eastern countries are banned from wearing bikinis / shorts / tee shirts I don't see to many protesting about that here.

Muslim in other countries should not have any expectation that they have special exemptions from the laws and customs of those counries.

A very real case of double standards.

Doing what exactly?

I usually get it out when i'm smashed and want to do the shop run in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

As I said Women visiting many middle eastern countries are banned from wearing bikinis / shorts / tee shirts I don't see to many protesting about that here.

Muslim in other countries should not have any expectation that they have special exemptions from the laws and customs of those counries.

A very real case of double standards.

I don't think you'll find too many people who won't agree that those countries are backward, oppressive sh1teholes. It's a terrible argument, in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Oui.

Advertisement