Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super XV 2015 General Discussion Thread

Options
1343536373840»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Maori All Blacks squad to play Fiji and the NZ Barbarians (whatever that is)

Forwards: Hookers: Joe Royal, Ash Dixon, Quentin MacDonald. Props: Chris Eves, Brendon Edmonds, Josh Hohneck, Ben May. Locks: Hayden Triggs, Jacob Skeen, Blade Thomson. Loose forwards: Shane Christie, Elliot Dixon, Akira Ioane, Heiden Bedwell-Curtis, Mitchell Crosswell. Backs: Halfbacks: Jamison Gibson-Park, Brad Weber. First five-eighth: Damian McKenzie, Otere Black. Midfield backs: Jason Emery,Charlie Ngatai (captain), Sean Wainui. Outside backs: Kurt Baker, Rieko Ioane, Marty McKenzie, Matt Proctor, Codey Rei.

That is a pretty good squad, and a decent return for the Highlanders pack.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Maori?

There's not many maoris in that squad, or maybe I'm just rascist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

oS0CEjD.gif

I think you have to be able to prove some level of Maori heritage to be eligible these days.

Maybe I'm just of an age where I remember maori teams as actually looking maori.
    But your right, there has to be some geneology I think.
    I suppose as the generations increase the lines become more blurred.

Damn good squad though, and they always have a cracking jersey too.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Maori?

There's not many maoris in that squad, or maybe I'm just rascist.

It's actually quite hard to know who is Maori and who isn't by looking at them as there are many people with a little bit of Maori in them. Obviously some people just look Maori, and some people have Maori names, but there are others who could pass for a pasty white Kiwi of British or Irish descent.

I don't know what the exact requirement is any more, as it's a sensitive topic in general in NZ, but I think for the Maori ABs there has to be at least some Maori blood, whereas I think for General Elections etc you can now identify as Maori even without having Maori blood (eg adopted child who grew up in a Maori household can say they are Maori).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

There's a couple of guys in that squad that I would never have guessed were Maori. A bit like Tony Brown, Paul Tito, Robbie Robinson and the Braid brothers. As far as I know, to be eligible you have to be 1/8 Maori (so a great grandparent) and be able to prove it with documents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Anyone know where the new Super Rugby TV deal is at? The term were agreed at the start of this year but hasn't been signed yet. I'm surprised there isn't more news about it.

ok, just to draw two lines under this seasons predictor comp (and not to gloat, i swear ;)

final standings

1 - sydthebeat 126.99
    2 - Kiwi_knock 121.58
    3 - Swiwi 118.91
    4 - Luckygent88 115.91
    5 - Yeah_Right 112.16
    6 - Pudsy33 95.00
    7 - Bridge93 91.16

the gaps between 1 and 5 really belies the closeness of the competiton all season, with some players missing some rounds.
    Seeing as i was the only backer of the Highlanders in the final (ye of little faith ) i benefited from a 4.5 point reward.

thanks for playing guys and hope to do it again next season !!
    and maybe try to drag in more of the big rugby brains on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

sydthebeat wrote: »

and maybe try to drag in more of the big rugby brains on this forum.

Oh alright you beautiful sweet-talker you, I'm in!

Wang King wrote: »
    Oh alright you beautiful sweet-talker you, I'm in!

good man wang!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Id give it a shot too next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah I'll be in this time around too.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I know Alex fairly well. He is a good solid journeyman player who will give you 100% all day. He has played in Italy, Japan and the UK. This is his first Super rugby contract. Very tough and abrasive player, sometimes a bit too abrasive. He celebrated his 50th match for Tasman with a try and a red card. I'm hoping for a big season from him. It won't be anything spectacular, just lots of hard work.

It worked out well for your mate there Yeah_Right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Swiwi. wrote: »
    It worked out well for your mate there Yeah_Right!

Very happy for the man. Seen a few photos on Facebook over the past couple of weeks from mates. After they thumped the Blues at Eden Park, he went and joined a few of the lads for a couple of beers on the sideline before going into the changing rooms.
    Also some great pics of him with the trophy. The best one is him behind the bar filling the trophy up. I imagine it was some session in Dunedin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Jamie Hagan signed a two year contract with the Rebels.

What an experience for a 28 year rugby player to go off to Melbourne for a couple of years. Hope he plays a bit out there. That's three signing in three days for the Rebels, new owners must be putting a bit of cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That's a brilliant coup for Hagan. Hopefully he gets a half decent salary there and gets to enjoy life a little. I honestly don't think he'd remain in the game if he hung around Ireland/England.

I'm delighted for him personally but genuinely in shock that he's got a Super Rugby deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Bit of SH conditioning could do him well. He's potentially a very mobile prop so he could do well there.

.ak wrote: »
    Bit of SH conditioning could do him well. He's potentially a very mobile prop so he could do well there.

I'm sorry to be so negative but we're hearing about his potential for so long now, he's nearly into Tony Buckley territory. Is the conditioning in Super Rugby that much different/more intense? (considering he was coached by three Kiwis at Leinster and couldn't shape up)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Rebels have no quality left at TH after losing Paul Alo-Emile to SF.

I still would be surprised to see Hagan starting for them at any point really. There are props in the Championship, Irish props even, I'd take over him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm sorry to be so negative but we're hearing about his potential for so long now, he's nearly into Tony Buckley territory. Is the conditioning in Super Rugby that much different/more intense? (considering he was coached by three Kiwis at Leinster and couldn't shape up)

Well you're looking at a different approach. If you're looking to play on a harder surface then the condition requirements are very different. Neither is more intense or better etc, but it would be quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm delighted for him personally but genuinely in shock that he's got a Super Rugby deal.

Not that surprised in terms of standard, more that it's quite out of left field.

There's some awful dross with S15 propping divisions, particularly in Australia. Remember, Ruaidhri Murphy has 29 appearances for the Brumbies!

I heard Jamie Hagan turned down an offer from Toulouse before signing for Melbourne.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I heard Jamie Hagan turned down an offer from Toulouse before signing for Melbourne.

Yeah, Trevor Brennan offered him a couple of weekends a month shifting kegs.

Advertisement