Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super XV 2015 General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,249 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yes!!!!

Penalty try

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Penalty try coming up, was certain he'd finished it in real time. 10 point lead coming up and yellow card. Really harsh but Highlanders a fair bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Another dodgy decision. Highlanders getting all the luck here

Huge decision.

Not sure I agree with it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I really think that is absurd.

Joubert and NZ again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've just turned it on, but that's an awful call.

You can build a case for penalty try, I wouldn't agree but I could see the case for it, but a yellow card is a farce.

Harsh but by the book I think. Take Potgieter out of the equation and it's a very likely try. Swinging arm to the face is a yellow too, even if not intentional.

I wouldn't call it absurd, if it happened on the half way line it probably would be a pen. But Highlanders definitely lucky with the overall resolution.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it absurd, if it happened on the half way line it probably would be a pen. But Highlanders definitely lucky with the overall resolution.

If it was on half way nobody would have noticed and the game would have continued.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I've just turned it on, but that's an awful call.

You can build a case for penalty try, I wouldn't agree but I could see the case for it, but a yellow card is a farce.

Once he gave the penalty try the card has to follow I think.

• Advertisement

If it was on half way nobody would have noticed and the game would have continued.

Don't agree with that at all.
    It was a swinging arm, no doubt.

The harshness was due to the case for claiming he was trying to get under the ball. There's no need to get under the ball on the half way line

Once he gave the penalty try the card has to follow I think.

If you police it that strictly though you'd never have lads trying to get under the ball. I thought it was the first tackle that prevented him from reaching out and scoring, the lad caught between the bicep and forearm which was clever.

Joubert called advantage over from the knock on with the waratahs a couple of yards behind where the initial infringement occurred.

Highlanders line is great.

There's a few sneaky punches flying round here.

razorblunt wrote: »
    If you police it that strictly though you'd never have lads trying to get under the ball. I thought it was the first tackle that prevented him from reaching out and scoring, the lad caught between the bicep and forearm which was clever.

Joubert called advantage over from the knock on with the waratahs a couple of yards behind where the initial infringement occurred.

Highlanders line is great.

?

I've been saying I think the call was wrong.

But when you give a PT I'm pretty sure the laws say you card the guy who committed the foul play.

The line speed, aggression and tactics from the highlanders has been excellent today.

The dream final looks on.

And there is the game

Yes!!!!!

That should be the game

Has to be said the NZ sides were miles ahead of the rest this year, best 2 teams going to be in the final and tbh the next best 2 with all players fit would be the Chiefs and Crusaders too. Cheika's new rule isn't going to help the Aussie clubs either.

Very deserved win for the Highlanders, great attitude throughout the game. The final is looking very tasty, should be a great watch.

On we March to the final !
    Bring on the canes!

• Advertisement

?

I've been saying I think the call was wrong.

But when you give a PT I'm pretty sure the laws say you card the guy who committed the foul play.

Ah I misread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I think this final series has shown the weakness of the current tables system: a 7th placed stormers get moved to 3rd and a home 1/4 final...where they get thrashed by the Brumbies who themselves had got thrashed by the Crusaders the week before. The Brumbies then looked fairly blunt on attack v the Canes, who only kept the Canberra side in it with their first half profligacy. The highlanders score higher than the tahs but have go to sydney.

I disagree with the penalty try call, changed the game from being on a knife-edge to a handy enough highlanders win. However, the Tahs have played dirty all season, and would not be what I would describe as gracious losers, so my sympathy is skin-deep. In any case, the Tahs lineout was a disaster all game.

If the Highlanders actually win the comp, I reckon its won of the greatest coaching achievements ever, given their forward pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Swiwi. wrote: »
    If the Highlanders actually win the comp, I reckon its won of the greatest coaching achievements ever, given their forward pack.

Given how the previous decade has gone for them, it's a pretty remarkable achievement. Only once in the past decade have they won more games than lost in a season (2012) and still managed to finish 9th in the table.

My mental equivalent of them in Pro12 terms would be to see the Dragons become title contenders in recent times. They lived off scraps and developing players. Always the poor relation of their more glamorous compatriots.

The only place where I reckon NZ has more of an embarrassment of riches than their rugby players is their rugby coaches. Joseph, Brown, Plumtree, Rennie, Boyd, Smith, Coventry....not one of them involved in the national set up and I suspect all of them could secure a pretty high level appointment in the northern hemisphere (Coventry already has taken the top job at LI).

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

Just had a lot of fun watching the games!
    If I'm honest I thought the NZ teams might have slipped up when they ran into tough, well coached teams, particularly as neither the Highlanders or Canes have a lot of knockout experience and seemingly weakish packs. What a set of performances though. Both packs were dominant and when they got into attack they were absolutely ruthless (bar the 1st half Canes). I hadn't quite believed there was a gap between the top Oz and NZ sides but it was clear as day.
    The final has all the makings of a classic. Has there ever been a game where you could not only guarantee there will be tries but also that there will be incredible tries? It really is the perfect final and more than makes up for this messy super rugby season.
    As a Canes fan I am so excited that after all the failures down the years they're in form and in the final. But of course fate would put them up against Aaron Smith, easily the best player in the world at this moment and a man who has palmed off 2 good sides with ease in the last 2 weeks! I fear there is no way to stop him.

stl.ire wrote: »
    As a Canes fan I am so excited that after all the failures down the years they're in form and in the final. But of course fate would put them up against Aaron Smith, easily the best player in the world at this moment and a man who has palmed off 2 good sides with ease in the last 2 weeks! I fear there is no way to stop him.

perenara has gotten the better of him the couple of times theyve played each other, so id say the pressure is on smith to perform.

why wasnt barrett kicking yesterday? he didnt kick from tee or from the hand on penalties.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He hasn't been kicking for a few weeks. He doesn't look injured so I guess it's the yips. I had him pegged as the post WC starting 10 for NZ but there are a few others like Sopoanga putting pressure on him.

He hasn't been kicking for a few weeks. He doesn't look injured so I guess it's the yips. I had him pegged as the post WC starting 10 for NZ but there are a few others like Sopoanga putting pressure on him.

im not sure, hes only back a couple of weeks from an knee ligament injury which kept him out fo a month, so im wondering if its more precaution not to aggravate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I think this final series has shown the weakness of the current tables system: a 7th placed stormers get moved to 3rd

Someone mentioned this too in an article I read, but pointed out that had the Stormers not known they would end at least 3rd before the final round of games they probably wouldve picked a full strength team for their last game against the Sharks and stood a very good chance of winning and ended on 49 points (4th). Ifs and buts.

On an unrelated note, wonder what Paul Treu was doing in Dublin this week. Official WP rugby business or personal visit?
    Please not to try and lure Kirchner to WP :pac:

so.... one more round of the predictor competition

as we stand

1 sydthebeat 122.49
    2 Kiwi_knock 121.58
    3 Swiwi 118.91
    4 Luckygent88 115.91
    5 Yeah_Right 112.16
    6 Pudsy33 95.00
    7 Bridge93 91.16

i think swiwi is mathematically out at this stage, afaik theres only 3 max points available for the final game.

so it comes down to kiwi_knock and me....... bring it on!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

I really think that is absurd.

Joubert and NZ again.

You mean like this IO?

Advertisement