Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super XV 2015 General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Do I want to go see the Sharks in Toulon on the opening week of the 6N?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

I think and someone may have to correct me but the Sharks played Saracens at the start of last season, it was their first match that season and actually might still have been in their pre-season time - I don't think they played very well.

So this one may not be much of a spectacle - could be wrong though since this is sport and anything can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Thrush has turned out a bit better than expected and Broadhurst is ok too. They were hurt by injuries last season but on paper they could go very well. Probably the biggest underachievers of the nz franchises (Cullen, lomu, umaga etc etc but never any silverware)

No C Smith? Tut tut tut tut tut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

How long is a piece of string? :P

Morf wrote: »
    No C Smith? Tut tut tut tut tut.

C Smith is many good things, but an "excitement machine" is not one of them. No one goes to the game to watch his silky "reading of the game"...

Lomu using the opposition as bowling pins on the other hand...

• Advertisement

C Smith is many good things, but an "excitement machine" is not one of them. No one goes to the game to watch his silky "reading of the game"...

Lomu using the opposition as bowling pins on the other hand...

Some of us can appreciate impeccable tackling and passing technique! ;)

If you intend on following the NZ conferences this season, why not try your hand at selecting? Not the obvious selections (that would be too easy) but the fringe selections...

Here are some interesting battles to keep an eye on

Battle of the tall timber: Jeremy Thrush (Canes) vs Luke Romano (Saders)

Even the casual follower of NZ rugby would probably know that Brodie Retallick (Chiefs) and Sam Whitelock (Saders) are locked :o in, and in Swiwi's opinion you can add Patrick Tuipolotou (Blues) to that mix. So the battle for the 4th AB locking spot between Gloucester-bound Thrush and Romano should be a good one. Romano is a lock in the Brad Thorne mould, and was actually a steady 1st XV choice until a run of injuries saw him spend large periods of time away from the playing field. Thrush was until last season largely viewed as a bit of a journeyman, but the selectors saw something they liked, and he rewarded his & their patience with a decent international season.

Swiwi's verdict: Romano is a Hansen favourite, and if he remains injury free, will get the nod. In a 50/50 call, his decision to keep playing in NZ will work in his favour.

Battle of the blindsides: Steven Luatua (Blues) vs Victor Vito (Canes)

Jerome Kaino (Blues) and Liam Messam (Chiefs) should have 2 spots nailed down, but the battle of 6/8 Vito vs 6/lock Luatua should be worth following. It may come down to whether the selectors more want 8 or lock cover (although if the big matches were on tomorrow, and Read were unavailable, I'd rather fancy Kaino or McCaw to get the 8 jersey). Vito seems to have been around for ages, but is only 27, and seems to have got better with age. No luck with injury last season, though. Luatua had a great 2013 followed by a mediocre 2014, mainly due to pre-season laziness and taking his spot for granted.

Swiwi's verdict: Vito will get selected if fit and shows some form. Remains to be seen whether he recommits to NZ, Stade Français was rumoured at one stage, but seems to have died down for the moment. Being a new dad might keep him in NZ a bit longer...

If you intend on following the NZ conferences this season, why not try your hand at selecting? Not the obvious selections (that would be too easy) but the fringe selections...

Here are some interesting battles to keep an eye on

Battle of the tall timber: Jeremy Thrush (Canes) vs Luke Romano (Saders)

Even the casual follower of NZ rugby would probably know that Brodie Retallick (Chiefs) and Sam Whitelock (Saders) are locked :o in, and in Swiwi's opinion you can add Patrick Tuipolotou (Blues) to that mix. So the battle for the 4th AB locking spot between Gloucester-bound Thrush and Romano should be a good one. Romano is a lock in the Brad Thorne mould, and was actually a steady 1st XV choice until a run of injuries saw him spend large periods of time away from the playing field. Thrush was until last season largely viewed as a bit of a journeyman, but the selectors saw something they liked, and he rewarded his & their patience with a decent international season.

Swiwi's verdict: Romano is a Hansen favourite, and if he remains injury free, will get the nod. In a 50/50 call, his decision to keep playing in NZ will work in his favour.

Battle of the blindsides: Steven Luatua (Blues) vs Victor Vito (Canes)

Jerome Kaino (Blues) and Liam Messam (Chiefs) should have 2 spots nailed down, but the battle of 6/8 Vito vs 6/lock Luatua should be worth following. It may come down to whether the selectors more want 8 or lock cover (although if the big matches were on tomorrow, and Read were unavailable, I'd rather fancy Kaino or McCaw to get the 8 jersey). Vito seems to have been around for ages, but is only 27, and seems to have got better with age. No luck with injury last season, though. Luatua had a great 2013 followed by a mediocre 2014, mainly due to pre-season laziness and taking his spot for granted.

Swiwi's verdict: Vito will get selected if fit and shows some form. Remains to be seen whether he recommits to NZ, Stade Français was rumoured at one stage, but seems to have died down for the moment. Being a new dad might keep him in NZ a bit longer...

I'd love to but I barely get the opportunity to catch recordings of Leinster games these days due to training, coaching and playing commitments over the weekend and I'd just delete the recording by the next round having not had time to watch them.

So having seen very little Super XV last year I'll give my pretty ill-informed opinion.

I agree with you on Thrush. Having last seen him in a row with Reddish they were both solid but not spectacular. I think it was an ITM cup game in Ardie Savea's breakout year that they looked pretty dominant.

I think with the hype around Bird calming down and Romano coming back into the AB squad I'd agree he's regarded higher.

Luatua or Vito. Whenever I think of Vita I always imagine a slightly underpowered carrier but a fantastic general footballer a la Harinordiquy or Tipuric. I guess I'd have to fudge the question by giving a horses for courses answer.

Luatua is the better carrier and gives 2nd row cover/back row flexibility but Vito is an immense line out forward with wonderful hands and a great skill set.

(All views are based on vague and hazy half-recollections. Boards.ie accepts no responsibility for print journalism levels of made-uppy-ness)

Dominic Bird. Kind of reminds me of the fast kid at school who's actually quite crap at rugby. Initial excitement at the speed merchant and then you realise not that good. On paper should be an international class lock, but he was bordering on rubbish in autumn. Needs a major improvement in form or injury to others to get a look in IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

http://m.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies-and-super-rugby-star-quade-cooper-out-for-months-with-fractured-collarbone/story-e6frf4pu-1227195295862

Pretty bad news for the Reds who would have been quietly confident of doing very well this year. Was really looking forward to cooper performing well this year as well trying to force his way into the wallabies fly half spot.

• Advertisement

http://m.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies-and-super-rugby-star-quade-cooper-out-for-months-with-fractured-collarbone/story-e6frf4pu-1227195295862

Pretty bad news for the Reds who would have been quietly confident of doing very well this year. Was really looking forward to cooper performing well this year as well trying to force his way into the wallabies fly half spot.

Another log layoff for him!

Anyone doing the super fantasy rugby on fox.au?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

As a rugby fan, thats disappointing news.

As Blues fan and a kiwi fan :D:D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Double injury blue to crusaders

Heinze (leg fracture)
    Macilai (arm fracture)

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Double injury blue to crusaders

Heinze (leg fracture)
    Macilai (arm fracture)

willi_heinz_of_the_crusaders_E1.jpg

:(

Horrible injury! !

http://t.co/FQ8anH68lL

Bandise maku to miss whole season with torn pectoral

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

waratahs-468x312.jpg

Last Season: 1st in the table and eventual Champions

Last Year’s Prediction: 2nd (in the Aussie Conference). I have rewritten this so many times, swapping between 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I just believe they have the talent to edge out the Reds but will fall short of coming first. (Giving myself partial credit for this. The Tahs had the talent but was unsure if it would all come together last year.)

Transfers
    Notable Additions: None

Notable Departures: Kane Douglas (Leinster), Alofa Alofa (La Rochelle), and Cam Crawford (Rebels)

Overview
    A great year for Michael Cheika’s team, surprising a lot of people including myself along the way to top the table comfortably and then go on and win it outright. Played some lovely rugby at times as well. Now comes the difficult task of defending their title. The team are saying all the right things about wanting to go out and win it again, stating that they won’t have proved themselves unless they have back to back wins. They will have pretty much the same squad to achieve this with. The only first team losses are Douglas and Alofa Alofa. I know Cheika says Douglas is the best Australian lock, which is not that high of a compliment, but I think the Tahs have the depth to cover his loss. Taquele Naiyaravoro will be more than a capable replacement for Alofa even if his name doesn’t quite match up to the greatness of Alofa Alofa. The squad is packed full of talent all over the pitch that are well able to defend their title. Jacques Potgieter and Skelton are great to watch when they are in the mood. One of the best backlines in the competition as well, when they are in full flow it is hard to stop them. The biggest threat to a successful defence of their title has nothing to do with the players but with coaching staff. Cheika has the unenviable task of planning for both a Super Rugby season and a World Cup. There is no way his full focus will be on the Waratahs. How Cheika and the team manage this will decide whether they will be able to defend their title.

Players to Watch

Wallaby Watch
    Kurtley Beale – A fairly eventful year for Kurtley, seemingly turned his career around during the Super Rugby season which led to a recall to the Australian squad. Then a text message later and he brought to an end McKenzie’s tenure and left his career in the balance. Fortunately he had the support of key Wallaby figures like Hooper and Ashley-Cooper, and the eventual appointment of Cheika insured his return to the Wallabies. Where he fits into the Wallaby team is another matter. He is not reliable or good enough to replace Toomua at 12 or Folau at 15. The competition for places on the bench for the World Cup will be fierce with Beale in contention for one of two spots along with Quade Cooper, James O’Connor, Christian Lealiifano, Rob Horne, Joe Tomane, Nick Cummins, and Karmichael Hunt. That shows how strong the competition will be for not just the bench but even making the Wallaby squad. With him still being a largely divisive figure in Australian rugby he needs a big season to get the fans behind him. Cheika is a supporter of him but any poor performances along with negative fan reactions could scupper his World Cup chances. A defining year for him, can he finally just concentrate on his rugby.

Wallaby Bolter
    Dave Dennis – When looking through a few of the Australian journalists predicted squads for the World Cup, I was surprised that none of them mentioned Dave Dennis. A lot of his work goes under the radar but he is crucial to the Tahs, and he can bring these qualities to the Australian squad. An injury robbed him of the chance of captaining the Tahs into the playoffs last season, so he will be determined to get them back there. My reasons for believing that he is capable of making the World Cup squad is based on reports that he will be moving from the backrow into the second row this season. I don’t think it is a coincidence that in a World Cup year, the Australian coach is moving one of his most experienced players into a problem position for the Australian squad. He will be partnering up with Skelton, who Cheika has earmarked for an increased role going forward with the Wallabies. If Dennis and Skelton can build a strong partnership, it will be hard for Cheika to leave both of them out. With the stocks of quality and even above average locks very depleted in Australia, a solid season bring Dennis into contention. Dennis is exactly the type of player you want in your World Cup squad with his versatility. With Dennis being driven to experience the playoffs this year, his determination might bring him into contention for the World Cup.

Prediction
    The quality they have the squad is enough to see them top the Aussie conference again. If they manage to top the whole league again, it is possible for them to go on and retain the title. If they have to go away to New Zealand or South Africa in the playoffs, I wouldn't be so confident. I will go with a semi-final loss.

Calender_1_large.jpg?v=1414556206

Last Season: 4th in the table, and reached the semi-finals

Last Year’s Prediction: 1st. I initially had them finishing second, with the off-field turmoil but now I do not think it will have that much of an impact. They will be driven to prove that Jake White was not responsible for their success, and that last year was not a once off. With the experience they have and their newly capped players they should once again be a force to be reckoned with (Happy enough with this prediction, they had a good season without ever looking like they would be champions).

Transfers
    Notable Additions: No one really, Sean Doyle will be a familiar name to Ulster fans

Notable Departures: Leon Power (Oyonnax), Ben Mowen (Montpellier), Andrew Smith (Munster), Pat McCabe (Retired)

Overview
    A team that can field Toomua, Lealiifano, Kuridrani, Tomane, Speight, and Mogg in the backline should be one of the most entertaining teams in the competition. Unfortunately the Brumbies have been anything but entertaining the last two seasons. Last season saw the hangover from the Jake White era, and the Laurie Fisher-Stephen Larkham dual head coaches idea did not work out. Now it is Larkham's team, and he should be able to stamp his own approach to the game. Larkham has been linked with the role of Attack Coach with the Wallabies for the World Cup, so it is a perfect chance to test some of the attacking plays this season. He has a strong combative pack led by Stephen Moore. Nic White, when he doesn't do his pointless box kicks, is a pretty good scrumhalf. If Larkham puts his trust in a more expansive gameplan, his backs have the ability to bring this team success.

Players to Watch

Wallaby Watch
    David Pocock - Injuries have wrecked his previous two seasons, and this period has seen him spend more time in a police station than on the pitch. During his absence he has seen Michael Hooper usurp him and earn some plaudits along the way. At one time the best seven in the world, and an absolute beast at the breakdown. It is hard to see a way back into the 1st team for him with Hooper holding the captaincy and being one of Australia's most consistent players. The one thing Hooper lacks is an effective presence at the breakdown, preferring to hang out in the backline. That could provide Pocock with a way back into the team if he can return to form this season and avoid any injuries. I don't think Hooper will be displaced for the World Cup, but Pocock will be a formidable presence in the squad.

Wallaby Bolter
    Siliva Siliva - I was tempted to go with Scott Sio here, but I think he will make the squad anyway as 3rd choice loosehead. Most of the Brumbies 1st team are in the Aussie squad already so I have dropped down to their bench to pick my bolter. Siliva is the backup hooker to Stephen Moore. If it wasn't for injury over the summer and autumn internationals he would have picked up a Wallaby cap due to the injury crisis with the hookers. Fainga'a who would have been 6th or 7th choice before the summer internationals took the jersey. I would have Moore and Polota-Nau as the two automatic choices in the squad. Fainga'a is in pole position for the 3rd spot, but he is not an automatic starter for the Reds so it opens it up to the other contenders to make a strong push. Siliva is a good backup the Moore, and is a great player to have around a squad. Moore is only coming back from injury so there is a likelihood Siliva will see some increased game time. If he impresses there, he will certainly be on Cheika's radar.

Prediction
    Like the Waratahs, they should have enough quality to see them into the playoffs again. Whether it is a defensive minded Brumbies team this year again or a more expansive team will decide how far they can go. I will go with them being knocked out in the qualifiers.

475732035_10.jpg?itok=s4layFqS

Last Season: 8th

Last Year’s Prediction: 5th in the Aussie conference again, but a higher points total. (Got that one wrong, I don't think many would have predicted that last season would be the Western Force's best year in their history)

Transfers
    Notable Additions: Steve Mafi (Leicester), Albert Nikoro (Blues), and the return of Nick Cummins

Notable Departures: Kieran Longbottom (Saracens), Phoenix Battye (Béziers), Hugh McMeniman (Honda Heat), Jayden Hayward (Treviso), Chris Tuatara-Morrison (Castres

Overview
    I think many, including myself, were guilty before last season of concentrating too much on the exploits of the Honeybadger and not giving proper credit to the rest of the squad. Last season showed that the Force are a lot more than a support cast for the Honeybadger show. The star of the team was their captain Matt Hodgson. The saying "heartbeat of the team" get thrown around a lot in sport but it really captures what Hodgson means to this team. It was his 100th game that spurred the team onto a 5 game winning streak. A real leader on and off the pitch. He will be central again to the Force's chance of repeating last season's success. They have lost some good players, but the signing of Steve Mafi may prove to be one of the best this year. They will be happy to see Nick Cummins return from his sojourn in Japan. The side isn't packed with quality compared to the other Australian sides, but they are a hardworking side that seem to play for each other. If they play with the confidence they showed last season, a challenge for the playoffs is on.

Players to Watch

Wallaby Watch
    Ben McCalman - In my preview last season, I earmarked McCalman for a return to the Wallaby squad. However, I don't think I could have predicted how well he would do on his return. He took advantage of the injuries to Palu and Higginbotham to make the No 8 shirt his own. He might be more known in Ireland for getting driven back by POC, but that shouldn't overshadow how good he was last year. Never afraid to carry the ball and got through a lot of work on the pitch. His versatility across the backrow means he will be a crucial part of the Wallaby squad at the World Cup. He will want to hold off the challenge of the fit again Palu and Higginbotham for the 8 jersey going into the World Cup. Another strong season with the Force should secure the shirt going forward.

Wallaby Bolter
    Adam Coleman - I really was tempted to put Kyle Godwin here, I think he is a special talent. However I can't see him getting ahead of the other talented players in the Aussie backline before the World Cup. So I have gone with an up and coming talent in a problem position for the Wallabies, the second row. Cheating a bit here, because I do not really remember him from last season but he has been highly rated by Nathan Sharpe and by former Australian World Cup winning coach Bob Dwyer. He is only 23 years old so plenty of time for development, but Cheika hasn't been afraid in the past to blood talented young players. If he continues to get the backing of former players and gets a bit of media attention, he will certainly be in the thoughts of Cheika. I honestly don't think any of the locks are set in stone for the World Cup, so a strong season from Coleman would definitely bring him into contention.

Prediction
    Will their failure to make the playoffs dent their confidence or will it drive them on? I don't think they have enough to challenge for the playoffs again. I can see them finishing somewhere between the 10th and 12th spots. They proved me spectacularly wrong last season, so I am prepared for them to do it once again.

Kyle Godwin seems to be like your pick of any of the Ulster centres: a very loyal fanbase, but consistently overlooked by the Wallaby selectors. The next thing you know, he'll be off to France, and playing for les tricolores in 3 years...Only 22, so I hope he does stay around in Aussie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Am going to try and get some games in, depending on what ESPN show, here in Argentina. Looking fwd to seeing the Argentine expansion team compete next year. Haven't seen many details yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Am going to try and get some games in, depending on what ESPN show, here in Argentina. Looking fwd to seeing the Argentine expansion team compete next year. Haven't seen many details yet though.

They've signed 15 players already and by the sounds of things will be competitive in their first season which can only be good for Argentinian rugby.

http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/super-rugby-five-more-sign-for.html?m=1

1422824637265.jpg

Last Season: 13th

Last Year’s Prediction: 3rd (In Aussie Conference). It was a difficult choice, I just feel the lack of squad depth and the heavy reliance on the form of three players can mean that the Reds could easily become unstuck. (I never thought they would finish so low but I did predict problems with their lack of depth. Rarely were the star trio Genia, Cooper and Horwill all fit at the same time.)

Transfers
    Notable Additions: Adam Thomson (Canon Eagles), James O’Connor (Toulon), Karmichael Hunt (Rugby League)

Notable Departures: Jono Owen (Grenoble), Ben Lucas (Montpellier), Aidan Toua (Agen), Mike Harris (Rebels), Dom Shipperly (Rebels), Jonah Placid (Rebels), and Rocket Rod Davies (Biarritz)

Overview
    How to address a lack of squad depth? Letting half of your backs leave wouldn't be my first choice. In some infinite wisdom, the Reds management have moved on some of their more experienced backs. A clearout was necessitated by the big money signings of James O'Connor and Karmichael Hunt. While these players are undoubtedly talented players, I am not sure an already understrength backline should be further depleted to make room for 2 players. The lack of depth has already been exposed with Quade Cooper's injury ruling him out at the start of the season, which leaves the Reds without a recognised outhalf. I watched the backup Duncan Paia'aua at last weekend's trial game against the Rebels, and he was dropping every ball and his positioning was all off. Karmichael Hunt will be given a go at the 10 shirt in the trial game against the Crusaders tomorrow, and you imagine James O'Connor will probably get a go at some stage. A real worry though when you have to go into a season without an experienced 10. A lot will fall back on Genia. The lack of depth and experience in the Reds squad can be shown by the fact that Karmichael Hunt has already been promoted to Vice-Captain after a few weeks of training. Newly named captain James Slipper will hope to lead a better pack this year. An end of an era this season with the three stars of the Reds Super Rugby winning team of 2011; Horwill, Genia, and Cooper all likely to depart. Horwill's departure has already been confirmed, and it is expected that Genia will sign for Stade Francais soon enough. Who knows where Cooper could go; Europe, Japan, Rugby League, Aussie Rules, or Boxing. The Reds will need a new group of stars to step up and will hope that O'Connor and Hunt can be those stars.

Players to Watch

Wallaby Watch
    James O'Connor - What a difference a year can make to a player. JOC left as one of the most hated players after his numerous indiscretions. Fans were happy to see the back of him, and a fair few players were as well. A year away from the spotlight has made the heart grow fonder and most fans are welcoming him back with open arms. A lot of that has to do with the off-field troubles of the Wallabies and his old mate Kurtley Beale becoming public enemy number 1. This is a clean slate for JOC. He is coming back into an Aussie backline that is inundated with talent. If you take it that there will be 14 backs in the WC squad, and 8 spots will be taken up by Phipps, Genia, White, Foley, Toomua, Kuridrani, Ashley-Cooper, and Folau. That leaves 6 spots to be contested amongst O'Connor, Beale, Lealiifano, Speight, Tomane, Cummins, Horne, and any potential bolter. It is tough competition. I think O'Connor will be too versatile to leave out. Unless he has a stand out year, I can't see him starting but a bench spot is likely. He should run a mile though if Cheika asks him about the number 10 jersey.

Wallaby Bolter
    Karmichael Hunt - I feel a bit like I am cheating here, as a lot of Australian journos already have him pencilled into the squad. I think this is awfully presumptuous, he has been out of Union for a few years so we have no idea how quickly he will readapt. I am not sure how much this Reds team will do for his chances either, with the injuries they already have. However he is certainly throwing himself into Union. Being named vice-captain shows the respect he is garnering amongst the players and the staff. His willingness to try out at 10 shows he has the desire to improve himself. This will certainly grab Cheika's attention. If he applies himself on and off the pitch, he has a great chance of coming into contention. At the moment there is no player that comes close to replacing Folau at 15, so if he can get a consistent run of games at fullback he will do his chances no harm. There is a reason that the media and former players are talking up his WC chances, and if shows his natural ability he will make it an even more difficult decision for Cheika come the WC.

Prediction
    If the injury crisis deepens they will be in for another season of disappointment. I am not sure how they will manage with Quade for the first few games. If they start bad, I think they could get stuck in a rut. They will need O'Connor and Hunt to click straight away. I think they will be similar to the Force finishing between 10th and 13th.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A brumby is a horse by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Whats Hunt like? Type of player?

Might seem odd but i see Genia has just done up his house in Queensland and has a newborn baby so it might be a bit odd for him to move to Stade now? Hope Cooper stays on too, in full flow he's great to watch!

Is "Mike" short for Karmichael?

Crusaders: 15 Colin Slade, 14 Robbie Fruean, 13 Kieron Fonotia, 12 Tom Taylor, 11 Johnny McNicholl, 10 Dan Carter, 9 Mitchell Drummond, 8 Luke Whitelock, 7 Matt Todd (c), 6 Richie McCaw, 5 Dominic Bird, 4 Luke Romano, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Ben Funnell, 1 Joe Moody

Replacements: 16 Codie Taylor, 17 Alex Hodgman, 18 Wyatt Crockett, 19 Scott Barrett, 20 Jordan Taufua, 21 Billy Guyton, 22 Ryan Crotty, 23 Nathaniel Apa

The interesting &/or heart-warming selections in bold. Dagg is on AB leave, not dropped! Freuan at 14 is Blackadder's eclectic wing selection to start the season. Last Crusaders seasons for Ritchie & Dan, tears in eye already :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Good to see Romano back.

I assume Sam Whitelock is on AB leave.

Who are Drummond and Guyton? Any good? I know Heinz is injured but I thought Andy Ellis was back. Is he injured as well?

anybody doing a superbru predictor for the Super xv this year??

http://www.superbru.com/superrugby/dashboard.php?userjoined=existing

• Advertisement

Crusaders: 15 Colin Slade, 14 Robbie Fruean, 13 Kieron Fonotia, 12 Tom Taylor, 11 Johnny McNicholl, 10 Dan Carter, 9 Mitchell Drummond, 8 Luke Whitelock, 7 Matt Todd (c), 6 Richie McCaw, 5 Dominic Bird, 4 Luke Romano, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Ben Funnell, 1 Joe Moody

Replacements: 16 Codie Taylor, 17 Alex Hodgman, 18 Wyatt Crockett, 19 Scott Barrett, 20 Jordan Taufua, 21 Billy Guyton, 22 Ryan Crotty, 23 Nathaniel Apa

The interesting &/or heart-warming selections in bold. Dagg is on AB leave, not dropped! Freuan at 14 is Blackadder's eclectic wing selection to start the season. Last Crusaders seasons for Ritchie & Dan, tears in eye already :(

Where's Nemani Nadolo?:(

Advertisement