Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue cyclists set to face on-the-spot fines MOD WARNING in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

Whats is the difference between rule 4 and rule 7?

Rule 4 is about the bike, rule 7 is for tan lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Whats is the difference between rule 4 and rule 7?
    A few people have said that Rule 7 should say "bicycle traffic lights"; for example, those on the Grand Canal cycle route.

EDIT: the other version of the flyer that Victor posted has the correct text.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Not one of the six things, that are highlighted in that poster are mandatory, during daylight hours.
    It's quite something to issue a flyer about fixed-penalty notices, and have it begin with and be completely dominated by another set of issues entirely. It's pretty clear that the RSA and the Garaí just go into helmet and hi-viz promotion mode when the word "bicycle" is even mentioned in any context, and then always lead with helmets and hi-viz. So you get this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    A few people have said that Rule 7 should say "bicycle traffic lights"; for example, those on the Grand Canal cycle route.

The original press release from the Dept of Transport seems to list rule 7 as:
    cyclist proceeding beyond a stop line, barrier or half barrier at a railway level crossing, swing bridge or lifting bridge, when the red lamps are flashing.

(Which was news to me also, I thought it was a specific cycle lamp offence.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Saw 6 Cyclists up around Hanlons Corner this evening at 10.
    Not one of them had anything bright on or a lamp on their bikes.
    The sooner august 1 comes the better. They really should have doubled the fine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

Saw 6 Cyclists up around Hanlons Corner this evening at 10. Not one of them had anything bright on or a lamp on their bikes. The sooner august 1 comes the better. They really should have doubled the fine.

Your 2 days to early. These posts are reserved for Friday's.

"fix reflector lights to the wheels of their bikes"

Maybe an editing error. This is getting more confusing all the time. Where can I buy reflector lights for my wheels so I can avoid a €40 fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Do larger fines really do anything to improve behaviour on the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

So the Gardai park up on double-yellow lines to advise cyclists to wear helmets and hi-vis...

https://www.facebook.com/angardasiochana/photos/p.10153224165888001/10153224165888001/?type=1

11742765_10153224165888001_2900347193617291778_n.jpg?oh=43238d8f82b2f1a09b9969c9258170ca&oe=560EE084

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    Do larger fines really do anything to improve behaviour on the road?

If its enforced and hurts their pockets ...yes. BTW , I cycle and drive.

BTW , I cycle and drive.

It's great to get your unique insight.

It's great to get your unique insight.

Always glad to inform :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

So the Gardai park up on double-yellow lines to advise cyclists to wear helmets and hi-vis...

https://www.facebook.com/angardasiochana/photos/p.10153224165888001/10153224165888001/?type=1

11742765_10153224165888001_2900347193617291778_n.jpg?oh=43238d8f82b2f1a09b9969c9258170ca&oe=560EE084

So the guards will be handing out hi vis vests and helmets to all Dublin bike users? That's nice of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

They can advise me all they want. I will politely tell them that that is my business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Sunset was at 9:36 last night, so lighting up hours didn't start until 10:06. Sure those lads were grand then if you spotted them at 10 they'd 6 mins to make it home safe!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I had an interesting conversation with a guard a while back, a traffic cop, who was advising me that I should wear a helmet, and all the horrendous head injuries he'd seen in his job. Yes, he agreed, mostly to people in cars. So I asked why he wasn't stopping motorists and advising then to wear helmet? Not necessary, they have air bags.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If its enforced and hurts their pockets
    hurts their pockets less than a fill of petrol for most people?

i was reading a book recently about crime in the US (homicide), and the author stated that the deterrent aspect of detection and imprisonment seems to only work if it's rapid; i wonder if the same applies to motoring offences.
    i've never received an FPN from a static camera, but they take a couple of months usually, don't they?

A few guards at junctions in central Dublin. 2 lads in Christchurch handing out the incorreclty worded leaflets and they had a few hi-vis vests for the odd "errant cyclist".

Mind you, the advance box at Christchurch was blocked by cars, right beside them, and there was a mess of cars at the junction of high street / bridge street that meant the yellow box was blocked and cars edging through red lights. Sure once theyre handing out a few hi-vis' alls good.

I've never had a hi-viz cape of invincibility forced on me by campaigners or Gardaí. What is the protocol for declining?

(I have considered the issues and am pretty well informed. Just disinclined to dress like a binman and not convinced that motorists can't see me in daylight, or that cycling is actually dangerous. Best just to say I have one at home and forgot it? No-one likes a smart arse.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Grassey wrote: »
    Sunset was at 9:36 last night, so lighting up hours didn't start until 10:06. Sure those lads were grand then if you spotted them at 10 they'd 6 mins to make it home safe!
    I don't think its an hour they have, I thought it varied but wasn't that long.
    Pinch Flat wrote: »
    A few guards at junctions in central Dublin. 2 lads in Christchurch handing out the incorreclty worded leaflets and they had a few hi-vis vests for the odd "errant cyclist".

Oddly enough, despite my lack of helmet or high vis they never stop me, even when riding in the bus lane instead of the cycle path. Maybe my lights actually tell their subconscious something like, ****, he is fairly visible, maybe he doesn't need this other useless sh1t.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Oddly enough, despite my lack of helmet or high vis they never stop me, even when riding in the bus lane instead of the cycle path. Maybe my lights actually tell their subconscious something like, ****, he is fairly visible, maybe he doesn't need this other useless sh1t.

"As long as he has spoke reflectors ..."

Same here. I have exposure flares that I use on strobe night and day. They're more effective than any hi-vis imo, especially heading down the quays into low lying sun in the evening. They ignored me as well, but handed out a few leaflets and hi-vis vests to others at the lights. I would have declined a vest - absolutely no requirement to use it, and another layer is all I need.

Same here. .

And that's the thing, for all the faults we may point out about such announcements, the majority of Gardai have an abundance of common sense, they don't pull people over harmless and minor infractions, they don't issue fines over minor mistakes that caused no harm, and were unlikely to do so in any scenario, and I hope the general common sense policing they tend to enforce here continues. While I am a stickler for the rules myself, I understand the pressure and lack of resources, and am happy to see that for the most part they get the balance of what has to be done and what should be ignored in the interest of resources and common sense.

If it ever turns into the UK style of every little thing over here, it will be a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I've never had a hi-viz cape of invincibility forced on me by campaigners or Gardaí. What is the protocol for declining?

(I have considered the issues and am pretty well informed. Just disinclined to dress like a binman and not convinced that motorists can't see me in daylight, or that cycling is actually dangerous. Best just to say I have one at home and forgot it? No-one likes a smart arse.)

Well if you're not wearing one, they probably can't see you, so just cycle on by.

If they can see you, then you don't need their technicolor dreamcoats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Same here. I have exposure flares that I use on strobe night and day. They're more effective than any hi-vis imo, especially heading down the quays into low lying sun in the evening. They ignored me as well, but handed out a few leaflets and hi-vis vests to others at the lights. I would have declined a vest - absolutely no requirement to use it, and another layer is all I need.

A few years ago I was advised by a Guard to get a high viz jacket.

I was on my bike......

........which had a strobing Exposure Sixpack on the bars, a strobing Exposure Diablo on my head and a strobing Hope on the back.

Oh and a Smarteye on my backpack.

......but he still explained how a hiviz jacket would make me more visible!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

30 mins after sunset from my quick Google in Ireland. I remember the actual legislation was posted a few pages back quoting the same.

30 mins after sunset from my quick Google in Ireland. I remember the actual legislation was posted a few pages back quoting the same.

I always thought it was readers dusk was the time you had to put your lights on (the time it is still readable by natural light after dusk) but presumably anytime of day that it is not readable by natural light you should have lights on.

I admit though that is based on memory and mine is worse by the day, no idea of the statute or if it even exists

Wikipedia has it called Civil twilight after a quick google.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

It's in here.
    "lighting-up hours" means the period commencing one half-hour after sunset on any day and expiring one half-hour before sunrise on the next day;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭what_traffic

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/624170352332120064

Anybody know anything about this "Cycle Safety Week" or are the Garda just making up this stuff because the leaflet they are handing out is so flawed?

Advertisement