Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue cyclists set to face on-the-spot fines MOD WARNING in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Deedsie wrote: »
    For cars? Motorway is not designed for cyclists. No business on it at all.

Cars aren't allowed use the hard shoulder. A case could be made to allow bikes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

ted1 wrote: »

Not on motorway. No. Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Einstein? wrote: »
    So has anyone actually been fined?:rolleyes:

Good question. I've noticed a lot more cyclists whizz by me at the red lights lately and haven't seen any of them so much as slow down. It's so frustrating then when I have to overtake them time and again because they aren't very fast. I miss the winter when fewer cyclists are on my commute/spin. It definitely seems like the fairweather cyclists are the worst offenders. Still not going to risk running a red myself as I'm so unlucky that I probably would be caught and fined,but I wish this system was either implemented or forgotten about. It's just causing vitriol towards fellow cyclists who ignore the rules.

Good question. I've noticed a lot more cyclists whizz by me at the red lights lately and haven't seen any of them so much as slow down. It's so frustrating then when I have to overtake them time and again because they aren't very fast. I miss the winter when fewer cyclists are on my commute/spin. It definitely seems like the fairweather cyclists are the worst offenders. Still not going to risk running a red myself as I'm so unlucky that I probably would be caught and fined,but I wish this system was either implemented or forgotten about. It's just causing vitriol towards fellow cyclists who ignore the rules.
    It's always the slow ones that either break the lights or go past you and try to get to the front of the Q after you passed them by earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Good question. I've noticed a lot more cyclists whizz by me at the red lights lately and haven't seen any of them so much as slow down. It's so frustrating then when I have to overtake them time and again because they aren't very fast.

Try this:
    lennymc wrote: »
    I also found I have started Booing RLJ's recently with a long loud BOOOOOOOOOOOO as they go through the lights. .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

buffalo wrote: »
    Try this:

I just roar 'red light red light red light' at their asses as they fly past me. It is important to mark the event, one way or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I saw a cyclist cycling down the M1 on Thursday if there ever was a candidate to be banned from cycling he'd be up there. You'd seriously have to wonder what some gob****es do be thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

No it couldn't, motorists aren't allowed to stop or drive in hard shoulders for safety reasons. Crash etc. motorway slips are not designed for cyclists and motorists. A cycle lane could have built alongside the route of a motorway but under no circumstances are the motorways in Ireland suitable for cyclists. No prospect of it ever changing. Not happening as they were not designed to accommodate cyclists. Any person cycling or walking on a motorway should be dealt with by AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I cycle to work all year round and I would definitely agree with this. March to October you can guarantee there will be more piss takers than during the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

No it couldn't, motorists aren't allowed to stop or drive in hard shoulders for safety reasons. Crash etc. motorway slips are not designed for cyclists and motorists. A cycle lane could have built alongside the route of a motorway but under no circumstances are the motorways in Ireland suitable for cyclists. No prospect of it ever changing. Not happening as they were not designed to accommodate cyclists. Any person cycling or walking on a motorway should be dealt with by AGS.

Motorways (regardless of country) are not designed for cyclists; period. The speeds involved make dealing with very slow moving traffic (not just cyclists) unnecessarily dangerous hence why occasionally you see signs up beside the start of motorways saying what forms of transport are forbidden from using motorways.

Any cycle-lane(s) would need to be kept physically seperate from the main motorway for the safety of all concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I'm not sure cyclists would wan t to cycle on motorway hard shoulders. Even apart from the safety issues of having cars and trucks at 120kpmh and more just one car lane away, they are often the worst routes from a cycling point of view - boring, exposed, no coffee shops....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I cycle to work all year round and I would definitely agree with this. March to October you can guarantee there will be more piss takers than during the winter months.

You can even notice the difference on boards, the amount of threads giving out about cyclists goes way up.

I found out there's another fine that wasn't widely publicised, thanks to a lovely gent from Lusk today. Despite the fact the road was blocked by someone reversing out of their driveway*, and all the traffic had slowed to stop ahead, he insisted on overtaking where there wasn't enough room (and no point). I turned to look at him, and he said
    Would you get off the bleeding road, you can get fined for that!

So now, no footpad cycling, and no cycling on the road either. Time to give up I think.

*the fact that this is probably an offence wasn't raised by him

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I found out there's another fine that wasn't widely publicised, thanks to a lovely gent from Lusk today. Despite the fact the road was blocked by someone reversing out of their driveway*, and all the traffic had slowed to stop ahead, he insisted on overtaking where there wasn't enough room (and no point). I turned to look at him, and he said

So now, no footpad cycling, and no cycling on the road either. Time to give up I think.

The mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Is reversing out onto the road an offence? I have wondered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Einstein? wrote: »
    So has anyone actually been fined?:rolleyes:

No, as currently only a court could hand out a fine and not a member of AGS. FPN's are due to be implemented from 1st Aug AFAIK.

tomasrojo wrote: »

See section 25.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html#zzsi294y1964a25
    If it's a major road e.g the N11 then yes , or if their vision is obsecured e.g hedges either side , then yes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

See section 25.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html#zzsi294y1964a25
    If it's a major road e.g the N11 then yes , or if their vision is obsecured e.g hedges either side , then yes

1997 regulations updated the provisions on reversing:

Reversing
    12. (1) Before reversing, a driver shall ensure that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

(2) A driver shall not reverse onto a major road from another road.

(3) A driver shall not reverse from a place adjacent to a public road onto a public road save where it is clear to the driver that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a12

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

For cars? Motorway is not designed for cyclists. No business on it at all.
    my comment was tongue in cheek, btw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on the topic, it would have been great if when they were widening the M50, they'd stuck a bike lane alongside it. probably didn't have enough room without resorting to lots of CPOs and the west link would have been a major problem anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

on the topic, it would have been great if when they were widening the M50, they'd stuck a bike lane alongside it. probably didn't have enough room without resorting to lots of CPOs and the west link would have been a major problem anyway.

They don't even pay the tolls Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... motorway slips are not designed for cyclists and motorists....
    Navigating past the slip roads on non-motorway dual carriageways is hairy enough never mind doing so on motorways. Cycling at speed into that no-man's land on N2, N7, N4 and the bit between Dundalk and Newry isn't pleasant.

tomasrojo wrote: »

As above, given the principle of never reversing from a minor road onto a major road, I would assume the same applies to leaving a driveway onto any kind of carriageway - perhaps not the law, but at least the common sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As above, given the principle of never reversing from a minor road onto a major road, I would assume the same applies to leaving a driveway onto any kind of carriageway - perhaps not the law, but at least the common sense.

I was always under the impression it was law, but as you said, law or not, it's common sense. Alot of Driveways and garden designs in Dublin for example completely remove the line of sight for drivers who are reversing. Leading to many a stupid reaction from drivers who were too lazy to reverse into their drive the evening before.

i live on a busy road and reverse into my driveway. slightly complicated by there being a bus lane going past the house, which has led to a couple of farcical situations involving bus drivers who have refused to pull out around me - for daring to use the bus lane.
    after informing one bus driver (who had pulled up quickly behind me and refused to move) that i needed to get into my driveway, he rather archly told me that i should have put my reversing lights on *before* i got to my driveway, to give him more notice that i was planning to reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Anyone under 18yrs will not get fined etc or their parents fined as they will come under the JLO scheme so education in schools will have to be the key to getting it into their heads,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

i live on a busy road and reverse into my driveway. slightly complicated by there being a bus lane going past the house, which has led to a couple of farcical situations involving bus drivers who have refused to pull out around me - for daring to use the bus lane.
    after informing one bus driver (who had pulled up quickly behind me and refused to move) that i needed to get into my driveway, he rather archly told me that i should have put my reversing lights on *before* i got to my driveway, to give him more notice that i was planning to reverse.

Action movie stunt driver lessons for your next birthday so!

just do one of them manoeuvers where you're spinning, sliding and shooting out the windows with dual pistols simultaneously. Job done.

the best thing about that exchange was the old guy standing beside the driver, who creased up laughing when the driver said that. it was what actually defused the situation.

generally speaking though, i pull in behind the bus if there's any approaching the house, to avoid that sort of situation; rather than trying the reversing with a bus bearing down on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Conor Popes, who bugs me at the best of times, wrote this piece today, I only skimmed a couple of lines but it was enough to for me
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/is-it-possible-to-cycle-safely-and-legally-in-dublin-1.2284423

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Conor Popes, who bugs me at the best of times, wrote this piece today, I only skimmed a couple of lines but it was enough to bug me
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/is-it-possible-to-cycle-safely-and-legally-in-dublin-1.2284423

I thought it wasn't the worst piece actually - he actually displays some nuance around the RLJ issue and clearly points out how cyclists are far from the biggest danger on the road.
    Of all the rule breakers we witnessed, the cyclists are the ones least likely to actually harm their fellow road users. The cohort of anti-cycling commentators may beg to differ, but it is a fact: cyclists mounting pavements or breaking red lights may well be annoying, but they are rarely lethal.
    Buses, on the other hand

**edit** The Chris Froome reference is a bit cringe alright...

Advertisement