Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist in the wrong and looses the plot at me...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm pretty sure I still know the name of the company (this happened years ago), I'll go hang around outside the place and see if he's still working there if he hasn't been sent to an institution already. I'll bring a video camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But he said the next time he sees me he's going to slit my throat. Not quite sure what kind of levels of mental I would have had to go to at that point to make him look like reasonable. Maybe all Hannibal Lecter ?

I find singing Kylie Minogue "I should be so lucky" as loud as possible is suitably mental for most situation.
    Alternatively, a high pitched shriek works wonders. People dont know how to react in a confrontation when people are not confrontational.

A guy in a car (i was in a car at the time) nearly crashed into me one day when preventing me from merging. I rolled down the window and asked him why he wouldn't let me merge, he replied I was in the wrong lane (I wasn't - it was merging lane). He repeated I was in the wrong lane. I said "A horse walked into a bar, the barman said, why the long face". The guy looked confused as hell. I laughed. Maybe you had to have been there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But he said the next time he sees me he's going to slit my throat. Not quite sure what kind of levels of mental I would have had to go to at that point to make him look like reasonable. Maybe all Hannibal Lecter ?

Sing.

If the weather is right, Right Said Fred - Deeply Dippy, slowly unzip your jersey/pull off your t shirt.

If they don't leave, they are either too mental or you are just too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

cookie2015 wrote: »
    I usually cycle to work, but drove today. Coming down Iona Road, Dublin, a cyclist came straight out without even stopping from either Chapelgate or St Joseph's Ave,

...that's where I live. Explains the blank bit in my memory about the first part of my commute today - I must have had one of my rage blackouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lennymc wrote: »
    i normally find if you go mentaler than the person going mental they kind of sheepishly bugger off
    I've tried that before. The problem is that after the sheep leaves you're left with a bunch of shocked bystanders including small children looking at you (with some justification) like you're the actual boogie monster.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    My recommendation if you feel the need to point things out is to smile, friendly wave, it disarms the other party in most cases.

I did this last night after a punishment pass and a blast of the horn on the way through the Phoenix Park last night. It wasn't the closest overtake I've encountered, but the message/intent was clear.

Shortly after my big smile and wave, I decided that if I caught the driver, I was going to punch them. You're in a park, it's late at night with not much traffic, what the **** goes through someone's mind to think, "let me try and prove a point to this guy by startling him with my horn while I drive my car at him". Thankfully I didn't catch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Don't roll down your window when confronted by a mentaler. There is only one solution, Nicholascageface
    nic%2Bcage.png

Don't break character and never break eye contact.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I find singing Kylie Minogue "I should be so lucky" as loud as possible is suitably mental for most situation.

You need to be careful with that kind of escalation. On receiving too many evening cold calls from India, my wife took to assembling the kids around the phone, putting it on speaker, and singing 'Oh Danny Boy' loudly to the startled call centre worker at the far end. Rather than solving the issue, the number of calls increased, and at one point we had a couple of Indians joining in from the far end. Not pretty. Not pretty at all. Out mentalling a mentaler is a dangerous game, and my missus is mentaler than most :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 710 ✭✭✭omnithanos

CramCycle wrote: »
    you can't be paying to much attention.

too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

km991148 wrote: »
    btw - same sh!t happens to me almost every morning coming though Rathmines - people flying through lights (any colour.. not going there) from Leinster Road into the citybound traffic flow - I suspect some must at least have a small look for oncomming cars but often fail to look for other cyclists, which often means me swerving and/or braking (and swearing to myself) to avoid them..

Doesnt help that the new road markings there forces weird traffic merging situations at the best of times..

Have the same problem myself. In the mornings it's the cyclists breaking red lights coming off Leinster Road on to Rathmines Road Lower and then on the way home, its drivers swerving left at the traffic lights outside Copan and cutting across me to get on to Rathmines Road Upper and save themselves the vital 2-3 seconds it would have taken for me to get across the junction and out of their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Lumen wrote: »
    I've tried that before. The problem is that after the sheep leaves you're left with a bunch of shocked bystanders including small children looking at you (with some justification) like you're the actual boogie monster.

A quick bout of Kylie's 'I'm spinning around' with some dad dance action thrown in will very quickly disperse any crowd, especially if wearing lycra.

I also found I have started Booing RLJ's recently with a long loud BOOOOOOOOOOOO as they go through the lights.

I must be getting old and cranky.

omnithanos wrote: »
    too

You win this round.

A quick bout of Kylie's 'I'm spinning around' with some dad dance action thrown in will very quickly disperse any crowd, especially if wearing lycra.

I also found I have started Booing RLJ's recently with a long loud BOOOOOOOOOOOO as they go through the lights.

I must be getting old and cranky.

:pac::pac: I may take that one up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

So after the dick on the bike did his bad manoeuvre, the OP sounded his horn to show his annoyance. That's not what horns are for. What came next was inexcusible but was brought on by the OP himself IMO. The OPs irrationality is evidenced by his call for numberplates on cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Lumen wrote: »
    Boogie Monster, ist that like a scary Disco Stu?

I have heard about the bogeyman but never the Boogie Monster!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Bloggsie wrote: »
    Boogie Monster, ist that like a scary Disco Stu?

I have heard about the bogeyman but never the Boogie Monster!
    Not a fan of Gnarls Barkley then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Not a fan of Gnarls Barkley then.
    ah yes Gnarls Barkley, wasnt she in the Dublin City Ramblers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

They'll always be the Quare Fellas to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

No, he played for the Sixers.

charles_barkley_dunk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

How George Melly escaped a dangerous confrontation!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 710 ✭✭✭omnithanos

That must be how the moon men spoke when George Melly went there in 1902 to film his documentary "Le Voyage dans la Lune"

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's still right and wrong, regardless of how cosy someone feels.

And pretty much every poster has said the cyclists was in the wrong, the only criticism of the driver was by one poster saying he should not have used his blower in the situation. Wasn't there so I don't know, if he had to drop anchor then I think the beep was justified, if he had to slow slightly and his annoyance was that he felt the cyclists was not observant enough probably not.

But please, jump the gun again and claim that things that aren't being said are being said, makes for really useful discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Plasmoid

el tel wrote: »
    So after the dick on the bike did his bad manoeuvre, the OP sounded his horn to show his annoyance. That's not what horns are for. What came next was inexcusible but was brought on by the OP himself IMO. The OPs irrationality is evidenced by his call for numberplates on cycles.

Not to go wildly off topic, but is it inexcusable?

I would have thought that if anyone on the road, cyclist or not, performs a dangerous maneuver as if they weren't aware of your presence you should sound your horn. It's a safety issue surely, you need to alert them that there is a risk of a crash between both of you, based on their actions.
    Only use a horn to:
    make them aware of your presence for safety reasons when reasonably necessary.

Now if OP did it purely out of annoyance and spite, and there was no risk of a collision then I'd agree, no need for it. But then, why be so annoyed a unless he felt there was a safety issue.

All that said have to say, as a cyclist I hate getting a blast off the horn from close range... pretty scary when impatient motorist sneaks up behind you. Blood boiling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Plasmoid wrote: »
    Not to go wildly off topic, but is it inexcusable?
    His "inexcusable" refers to the cyclists behaviour, not the OP beeping a horn.

Advertisement