Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue cyclists set to face on-the-spot fines MOD WARNING in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Carpentry wrote: »
    Is it because they are being delayed by the cyclists at every light ?

I'll have a look tomorrow morning, but I don't think so.

How would this correlate with the m50 and the likes? Last time I checked there weren't too many bikes on it - just rows and rows of miserable drivers wasting their lives away in a massive daily traffic jam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

But reffering to your post

Originally Posted by Pinch Flat View Post
    Lol. I get held up for 13km by an almost continuous stream of traffic into Dublin City every morning. Guess who causes the mayhem? Yep you guessed - motorists

there is now word about m50, you said that you got held by a stream in Dublin City ? Im confused.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

there is now word about m50, you said that you got held by a stream in Dublin City ? Im confused.

The clear point being made is that traffic build up in Dublin and the surrounding area is regardless of cyclists and can reasonably be deduced to have little to do with them. The M50 providing a nearby suitable example of somewhere that suffers traffic jams but does not have cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Hold on is someone trying to suggest the traffic problems in Dublin are caused by cyclists? Get up the yard!!!!!

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I'll have a look tomorrow morning, but I don't think so.

How would this correlate with the m50 and the likes? Last time I checked there weren't too many bikes on it - just rows and rows of miserable drivers wasting their lives away in a massive daily traffic jam

There is no way that lined up cyclists can take off quicker from the lights clearing the road for the cars, which causes them to slow down or/and make them impossible to start, simple as that.

So if there is a car in cycling lane that's bad and awful because the lane belongs to the cyclists and how on earth car could stopped at it, making impossible for them cyclists to go through,

But if the cyclist is stopping the car, standing up in the middle of the road, that's all right and fine

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    The clear point being made is that traffic build up in Dublin and the surrounding area is regardless of cyclists and can reasonably be deduced to have little to do with them. The M50 providing a nearby suitable example of somewhere that suffers traffic jams but does not have cyclists.

sorry, that was sarcasm, no need to explain

So if there is a car in cycling lane that's bad and awful because the lane belongs to the cyclists and how on earth car could stopped at it, making impossible for them cyclists to go through,

But if the cyclist is stopping the car, standing up in the middle of the road, that's all right and fine

That's the long and short of it according to the rules of the road.

There is no way that lined up cyclists can take off quicker from the lights clearing the road for the cars, which causes them to slow down or/and make them impossible to start, simple as that.

I think you will find that unless the driver is jumping the clutch, alot of typical Dublin cyclists are quite quick of the mark reaching full speed quite quickly. Side by side in the city centre it is a rare thing that a car will clear a junction from stopped before me and I am far from a speed demon. But you are still clearly ignoring the examples given before about how, in reality, it does not affect a cars overall journey time in a city centre.

It's gas that people will get in a car and drive a distance that can be walked, cycled or covered by public transport and then give out about the traffic.

My entire neighbourhood is held to ransom by private cars travelling to two local schools where little Johnny and Mary are ferried a distance that could be walked in 10 minutes. Anything hues - oarking on grass verges, blocking beighbours driveways, preventing access yo the shops and other locsl facilities. But hey the traffic is brutal!

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Hold on is someone trying to suggest the traffic problems in Dublin are caused by cyclists? Get up the yard!!!!!

Thank god I don't need to drive in the morning city traffic, but my wife does.
    And she's complaining about that situation every morning.

Lights go green, cars cannot go, because it take ages for cyclists to move off, in the end 2 cars getting across the junction = traffic

I don't know where your yard is, but it can't be in Dublin....

• Advertisement

I think you will find that unless the driver is jumping the clutch, alot of typical Dublin cyclists are quite quick of the mark reaching full speed quite quickly. Side by side in the city centre it is a rare thing that a car will clear a junction from stopped before me and I am far from a speed demon. But you are still clearly ignoring the examples given before about how, in reality, it does not affect a cars overall journey time in a city centre.

Are you taking into account all the cyclists using dublin city bikes ? they are not the quickest nor user friendly bikes

Lights go green, cars cannot go, because it take ages for cyclists to move off, in the end 2 cars getting across the junction = traffic

I cycle into Dublin from Cabinteely along the N11 most days during the week, on the days I don't cycle I drive or get the bus. It's 100% NOT the cyclists causing the backlog of traffic in Dublin. Anyone who would suggest as much hasn't a clue what they're talking about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's gas that people will get in a car and drive a distance that can be walked, cycled or covered by public transport amdcthe. Give out about the traffic.
    my colleagues love me when they give out about the traffic. but YOU are traffic.

it's like with kids - 'i dunno, why ARE you punching yourself in the face?'

I cycle into Dublin from Cabinteely along the N11 most days during the week, on the days I don't cycle I drive or get the bus. It's 100% NOT the cyclists causing the backlog of traffic in Dublin. Anyone who would suggest as much hasn't a clue what they're talking about.

Did I say somewhere that cyclists are the only reason causing traffic ? No, but they have a fair share in it.

What sort of distance does she travel?
    I cycle from castleknock to merrion square daily - on a bad morning it's almost a continuous line from castleknock to where I work. It's cars that are causing this - people using the private car where other viable alternatives exist. So little sympathy for them tbh.

If you don't understand the reasons for the advance boxes, you've no insight into the challenges faced by a cyclist. In saying that, I've never been beeped by a car for a supposed hold up - I think they're resigned to the fact that at best they'll get a 50 meter run between lights in rush hour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No, but they have a fair share in it.
    a fair share in reducing it? you're dead right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

good god, if i i had been in transition year and had turned in an essay that badly written, my teacher would have pulled me to one side to make sure i hadn't suffered a brain injury.

Ah kids and their transition years......in my day if I turned in something like that a Christian Brother wold have given you a brain injury.......:D

No, but most cyclists can out accelerate buses and HGVs over the first 30 to 50 m from a junction (and beyond in some cases) - there's more than cars and bikes make up traffic.

Oddly enough my view from driving and cycling in Dublin is quite the contrary, at the top of a queue on a bike or in a car, I often cannot move off because the crossing traffic has continued after the red for 3 or 4 cars and it would be dangerous to move off. Sometimes someone has decided to gun it on Yellow and gets caught mid junction. Its the reason that many of the side roads get filled up on my commute in the morning.

This aside, anytime I have left in good time for where I am going, I have got there in time, so maybe your wife should leave earlier and be less frustrated by a perceived slight that is not actually occurring.

As for the Dublin Bikes comment, despite their clunkiness and my general dislike of them, you can get upto full speed on them in a few seconds. The main roads in Dublin are heavily populated with Bus lanes with a few pinch points. If your wife honestly believes that cyclists are causing her most of her delays then I hate to say it but she is potentially not very situation-ally aware and should take some time to become so before driving or cycling again.

The reason as also mentioned previously is that light sequences are disruptive to traffic flow with long stretches at major junctions which are counter productive, your wife could also take a list of the worst junctions and report them to the council.

Did I say somewhere that cyclists are the only reason causing traffic ? No, but they have a fair share in it.

Yeah I still disagree in full with this, the only time I or other cyclists seem to hold anyone up is if a bus or a taxi has to wait for a max of 30 seconds before they can safely pass. That's my experience & I've been beeped & passed dangerously for using the road. The only contributing factor to the backlog of cars on that stretch of road is all of the other cars trying to go to the same place.

If you don't understand the reasons for the advance boxes, you've no insight into the challengrs faced by a cyclist. In saying that, I've never been beeped by a car for a supposed hold up - I think theyre resigned to the fact that at best they'll get a 50 meter run between lights in rush hour.

The advance boxes are not on every traffic light, probably 50/50, but yet the cyclists are taking up the middle of the road. I see that form the saddle perspective.

• Advertisement

So when the Red Cow was more like the Mad Cow, it was cyclists that were causing the problems?

Likewise, take a trip out the M1 / R139 roundabouts and it can be chaotic - without a cyclist in sight. Similarly it can take an age to crawl up through Drumcondra and Whitehall most evenings and given that cyclists have bus lanes to use all the way I can't see how they are causing the imposed delays - I'd suggest it's more to do with vehicular volumes and the intersection of that radial route with a couple of lateral routes that carry a lot of traffic (including cyclists).

Yeah I still disagree in full with this, the only time I or other cyclists seem to hold anyone up is if a bus or a taxi has to wait for a max of 30 seconds before they can safely pass. That's my experience & I've been beeped & passed dangerously for using the road. The only contributing factor to the backlog of cars on that stretch of road is all of the other cars trying to go to the same place.

Just after reading your other posts on the "attitude in the bus lane" topic and can say that you are one of the people that are blindly defending their right even if there is no right. Sorry.

Just after reading your other posts on the "attitude in the bus lane" topic and can say that you are one of the people that are blindly defending their right even if there is no right. Sorry.

I'm not blindly defending any right, I was asking for courtesy when using the road from other road users in that thread. As I said in that thread I usually use cycle lanes when they're fit for purpose but on the occasion I use the road I expect others to act with a bit of courtesy.

The advance boxes are not on every traffic light, probably 50/50, but yet the cyclists are taking up the middle of the road. I see that form the saddle perspective.

So if say 10 cyclists congregate at a red light, how do you suggest they handle this scenario? Form an orderly line of 10 bikes of mixed ability and speed?

Jawgap wrote: »
    So when the Red Cow was more like the Mad Cow, it was cyclists that were causing the problems?

Likewise, take a trip out the M1 / R139 roundabouts and it can be chaotic - without a cyclist in sight. Similarly it can take an age to crawl up through Drumcondra and Whitehall most evenings and given that cyclists have bus lanes to use all the way I can't see how they are causing the imposed delays - I'd suggest it's more to do with vehicular volumes and the intersection of that radial route with a couple of lateral routes that carry a lot of traffic (including cyclists).

Just read few posts up.

So if say 10 cyclists congregate at acted light, how do you suggest they handle this scenario? Firm an orderly line of 10 bikes of mixed ability and speed?

Stop one behind each other, like a cars do ? What's wrong with it ?

Just read few posts up.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you have a full appreciation the single occupancy car has on traffic in Dublin - it far, far exceeds any potential impact a slow or even a group of slow cyclists could have.

Because then you'd be mixed in with heavier vehicles, HGVs and buses - far better (as in safer) to get to the front and in the eyeline of drivers, rather than tucked away to the side or rear of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Perhaps you should ask the road engineers who provide advance stop boxes for cyclists across the whole width of the lane.

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    Because then you'd be mixed in with heavier vehicles, HGVs and buses - far better (as in safer) to get to the front and in the eyeline of drivers, rather than tucked away to the side or rear of them.

But if you are cycling along them in the traffic you are mixed with them anyway...cars and cyclists need to watch out for each other. I understand that cyclists are 1000 times more vulnerable than cars, but still rules are rules.

Advertisement