Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue cyclists set to face on-the-spot fines MOD WARNING in first post

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Safety is a big part of it. When I haven't been in the asl, I have been squeezed and cut off the majority of the time. When turning right it's a must. Visibility also, I don't get cut off or squeezed off the road repeatedly when in the asl/front of the queue. In my experience the majority of motorists do not look behind them taking off at a green light as they're focused on taking off so don't see me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I think the FPN's are a good idea but I'd prefer to see more enforcement of all traffic law across the board, there'll probably be a blitz on cyclists for a couple weeks & then it'll be back to business as usual afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Carpentry wrote: »
    I've been cycling /not just/ to work for the past four years and never could understand this behavior.

As I said, ymmv

The fact that three answers were given, each citing different reasons would kind of indicate that there is no single explanation - other than the obvious one which is that cyclists do it for reasons of safety and self-preservation.

A partial solution to the problem would be to change the law to allow cyclists to make a left on red - it would be a practical and useful safety modification, and one that would benefit cyclists of lesser experience in certain situations.

But it'll never happen here, but if it did you could probably power a small Mayo village on the volume of outrage that would pour forth on boards.ie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Where would you position yourself if the advance area wasn't there? Between two cars? I'd prefer to be out in front and clearly visible personally.

well I guess that you are cycling as close to the left hand side as possible so I would stopped there and the start again when possible.

• Advertisement

It's called obstructing the traffic.

Cyclists are traffic - how can traffic obstruct traffic - is it not called 'using the road'?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You don't need to position yourself at the head of a queue of traffic to make yourself visible. Simply position yourself in the centre of the lane, right in front of the following car.

well I guess that you are cycling as close to the left hand side as possible so I would stopped there and the start again when possible.

Yeah but as pointed out this leaves you open to being squeezed on to the kerb. It doesn't always make sense to keep close to the left hand side of the lane in all situations either.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Cyclists are traffic - how can traffic obstruct traffic - is it not called 'using the road'?

If cyclists are traffic they cannot take advantage of the rest of the traffic, can they ?

I would strongly advise you not to cycle 'as close to the left hand side as possible'- give yourself at least 1 metre so you've somewhere to go if something happens outboard of you - plus it keeps you out of the drains and off the gully covers.

• Advertisement

If cyclists are traffic they cannot take advantage of the rest of the traffic, can they ?

Not sure I follow what you are saying.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No, I cycle as close to the left as is in the best interests of my own safety.

If we are all equal on the roads, why then cyclists are allowed to stop the traffic/make the obstruction by lining up in front ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

You don't need to position yourself at the head of a queue of traffic to make yourself visible. Simply position yourself in the centre of the lane, right in front of the following car.

Provided there is a gap in traffic to allow you to do so. Before Christmas, I did just what you are saying, between 2 Dublin buses as it turned out, as I don't go up the inside of them at a red. One pulled up behind me and kept beeping, the driver red in the face waving at me to get into the cycle lane which was full of holes, 2 pedestrians and a dog. He bumped my back wheel taking off. Depending on the situation, your solotion isn't always practicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Sorry if my post seemed a bit not with it but Grandpa Hassan got it, I'm not saying jump red lights I'm just pointing out the problems that will arise and how many people in the city or outside the truck ban zones are going to be vulnerable, I agree with the enforcement of red light issues, but cycle lanes will have to me made more accessible etc, as precious posters have said Ireland is not bike friendly unless you are on a cycle track and even that is dangerous with walkers/runners and dogs. Best thing is get out to the country side and no traffic lights and hope its safer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Neither can anyone else! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Carpentry .... the term is "taking ownership of the road". As a driver, you should know this as the term is used for cars undertaking certain manouevers. Stop with your pointless "obstructing the traffic" crap. Because that's what it is. Crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Oh Jeeze, here we go again...

http://lovindublin.com/opinion/why-i-hate-dublin-city-cyclists

(warning - a very poorly written 'opinion' piece with a huge number of generalisations...)

Next they will want these on bikes and no not the saddle cover

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote: »
    Carpentry .... the term is "taking ownership of the road". As a driver, you should know this. Stop with your pointless "obstructing the traffic" crap. Because that's what it is. Crap.

But I am a driver, as well as a cyclist, so I kind a know how to find myself on the road behind the wheel and on the bike.
    Some cyclists are just plain stupid and that's crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I personally prefer to have cyclists in from of me where I can see them when I'm stopped at lights. It's called filtering moving up through the stopped traffic.

It means I can see exactly whats around me instead of cyclists waiting alonside me on both sides, a possibility in multi-lane traffic.

It delays the driver by a few seconds but everyone gets away safely.

The public roads are a shared space, some really badly planned. The aim is to get from A to B in good time as safely as possible for all concerned.

Bottom line is it won't bother me or other cyclists who obey the rules of the road etc but the hipsters might not like it

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    Oh Jeeze, here we go again...

http://lovindublin.com/opinion/why-i-hate-dublin-city-cyclists

(warning - a very poorly written 'opinion' piece with a huge number of generalisations...)

Just read it, what a load of sh!t. She's mentioned in the comments she may start cycling to work to see the other side of things. Ignorant opinion piece either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

Plus the fact that there are not exactly that many sets of traffic lights in Howth, Sutton or Malahide.....or between them for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Macy0161 wrote: »
    No, I cycle as close to the left as is in the best interests of my own safety.

Inherently this is dangerous.

1. You could clip the curb with your pedal.
    2. You could cycle into the curb.
    3. You could suffer a blowout because of debris brushed to the side.
    4. A close passing vehicle could throw you off balance.
    5. You could hit a pothole covered in water.
    6. You could slip on a manhole/storm drain.
    7. You have no place to go do if you sense danger behind you. ie. cars overtaking you with oncoming traffic.
    8. You run the risk of being knocked off by hitting cat's eyes.
    9. It encourages dangerous overtaking.
    10. You cycle slower being so close to the curb that you delay traffic at narrower pinch points.

If you take up an assertive position just out from the left it lessen the chance of taking a tumble and puts the onus on the vehicle behind you to overtake.

TonyStark wrote: »

7. You have no place to go do if you sense danger behind you. ie. cars overtaking you with oncoming traffic.
    10. You cycle slower being so close to the curb that you delay traffic at narrower pinch points.

If you take up an assertive position just out from the left it lessen the chance of taking a tumble and puts the onus on the vehicle behind you to overtake.

Looks like a guide for an idiot with no common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭Macy0161

TonyStark wrote: »

You've pretty much summed up what I meant - I was responding to the comment about cycling as close to the left as possible!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

gadetra wrote: »
    Provided there is a gap in traffic to allow you to do so. Before Christmas, I did just what you are saying, between 2 Dublin buses as it turned out, as I don't go up the inside of them at a red. One pulled up behind me and kept beeping, the driver red in the face waving at me to get into the cycle lane which was full of holes, 2 pedestrians and a dog. He bumped my back wheel taking off. Depending on the situation, your solotion isn't always practicable.

That's pretty horrific behaviour from the bus driver. You'd every right to be there.

In fairness though, it isn't something that frequently happens. Generally speaking, I think the best approach is to stop in the centre of the lane behind the last vehicle in the queue. That way cars pulling up behind will clearly see me. I'd only move up the queue if there was a chance of making progress, i.e. if I mightn't make it through on this light sequence staying put.

The idea is to minimise the number of occasions for overtaking and avoid having someone overtake you before the lights only to have them do it all over again after the lights change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

I would make the reasonable assumption that Macy0161 means she (assuming she is a female going by username) cycles as far to the left as is possible whilst taking into account all the points raised. For all we know, when she says that she cycles as far to the left, she may mean as far as left as one can go without having any risk of hitting the kerb (not curb!) or needing to cycle slower due to being so close to the kerb.

I don't cycle very often but I too cycle as close as I can to the kerb/verge as I want to be as far as possible from any passing vehicles. The further out from the kerb/verge I am, the more likely it is that I will be closer to passing cars as they will have been given insufficient room by me. I'd feel like a selfish plonker cycling along 3 feet from the kerb/verge with a line of cars unable to get past me. I have NEVER had an issue with debris causing me to crash. My bicycle and tyres were chosen so that they can travel safely over little bits of dust or the off pebble because I know that's what is on the ground. If I see something along my path, I will see it well ahead and act accordingly to get past it safely, otherwise stop, look around and get past it safely.

Advertisement