Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interclub Comps 2015

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

Ballykisteen won the county final of the Belvedere Cup (scotch foursomes competition for handicaps 18 and up) on Tuesday night, beating Slievenamon in Cahir Park. It's the first ever win in this competition for the club. We got beaten in the county final a few years ago when I was on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Played the o meara yesterday, bit of an early practice round with the rest of the Muskerry Barton Shield team, the place is in lovely nick again, greens amazing so hopefully the weather is as good as last year, anyone else on here going is in for a treat that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Played the o meara yesterday, bit of an early practice round with the rest of the Muskerry Barton Shield team, the place is in lovely nick again, greens amazing so hopefully the weather is as good as last year, anyone else on here going is in for a treat that's for sure!

We've been up for a practice ourselves in Athlone for the Senior Cup. Course is in great shape. Really looking forward to next week. When we're up for our practices, I'll see if i can get out to watch ye play in the Barton :)

Rikand wrote: »
    We've been up for a practice ourselves in Athlone for the Senior Cup. Course is in great shape. Really looking forward to next week. When we're up for our practices, I'll see if i can get out to watch ye play in the Barton :)

Great, were off at 11.00 Wednesday in the Semi final hopefully the GUI learned from the mistakes of last year and it runs a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Great, were off at 11.00 Wednesday in the Semi final hopefully the GUI learned from the mistakes of last year and it runs a bit better.

What were the problems last year?

• Advertisement

What were the problems last year?

1 Toilet on the whole course. Hundreds of spectators, women, children etc

Extortionate food/accomodation prices.

Presentations taking an hour per comp.

Teething problems for the first year hopefully.

1 Toilet on the whole course. Hundreds of spectators, women, children etc

Extortionate food/accomodation prices.

Presentations taking an hour per comp.

Teething problems for the first year hopefully.

Jaysus. The course is so far away from the clubhouse that they need to get sone portable ones in obviously.

Agree on the condition of the course. Never seen it looking so well. A great course for matchplay

Best of luck to our own Golfgorfield who is playing for Muskerry in the Barton Shield today. They are playing against Royal Dublin. You can follow the live scoring here ::

http://gui.intelligentgolf.co.uk/barton

The All Ireland Junior Cup is also on today, the scoring can be followed here ::

http://gui.intelligentgolf.co.uk/junior

-edit-

Disclaimer :: Dont mention Golfgorfields' real name on boards.ie - He's easy to figure out, but dont mention it anyways. Cheers

Barton Shield

Muskerry beaten by Royal Dublin in one semi-final
    Galway beat North West in the other Semi-final

Galway Vs Royal Dublin tomorrow. Will hopefully get to see some of that when I'm up there tomorrow :)

The GUI also have a twitter feed going for anyone who wants to see pictures, blogs, other things from all the matches

https://twitter.com/GUIGolf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Barton Shield

Galway Vs Royal Dublin tomorrow. Will hopefully get to see some of that when I'm up there tomorrow :)

Very good comeback by the Galway lads in match 2. They were 4 down at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Barton Shield

What time are you out tomorrow Rikand?

Ben1977 wrote: »
    What time are you out tomorrow Rikand?

Just practicing tomorrow ben. Senior Cup is on 8 am Friday morning though for anyone who is around and wants to come cheer on athlone ;)

Just practicing tomorrow ben. Senior Cup is on 8 am Friday morning though for anyone who is around and wants to come cheer on athlone ;)

Good luck, hoping to pop in at some stage

Royal Dublin running away away with the Barton Shield

RD won it well in the end.

Greenisland beat Westport on the last green. Fella had to hole a tricky downhill 4 footer.

Gort play Thurles in the pierce Purcell final tomorrow

RD won it well in the end.

Greenisland beat Westport on the last green. Fella had to hole a tricky downhill 4 footer.

Gort play Thurles in the pierce Purcell final tomorrow

Good luck to ye tomorrow, ye will have plenty of the neutral support ;)

Club golf is nearly finished at the elite level of this form of golf. When you see packed teams like Maynooth today playing with a team of internationals with no club base, you have to wonder what is going on with GUI affiliation.

Would be interesting to see how many of the Royal Dublin team that won the Barton Shield were juniors in the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Yea, never understand the Uni's have golf teams, do they actually have ciomps and use another clubs facilities? If not are they not just golf societies.....time to stretch the point..... so could one not register their golf society with the GUi because there is a load of really talented artisans from say Grange, Foxrock or where ever that drink here in Mulligans of Poolbeg st....I can see the headlines now...Inner city pub beats countries elite golf clubs. Joking aside great win for Greenisland a fellow nine holer reminds me of Vartry Lakes GC winning the Barton Cup from nowhere in 2001.

Club golf is nearly finished at the elite level of this form of golf. When you see packed teams like Maynooth today playing with a team of internationals with no club base, you have to wonder what is going on with GUI affiliation.

Would be interesting to see how many of the Royal Dublin team that won the Barton Shield were juniors in the club?

Athlone
    Skerries
    Stackstown
    Cork
    Co Sligo
    Rosslare
    The island
    Balcarrick

These clubs are to be thanked for the junior development of their squad.

They have 12 players all who would get on most club teams, its a terrifying prospect for the future. Not any fault of RD they are entitled to take as many good players as they like, its the system that allows them to.

• Advertisement

Athlone
    Skerries
    Stackstown
    Cork
    Co Sligo
    Rosslare
    The island
    Balcarrick

These clubs are to be thanked for the junior development of their squad.

They have 12 players all who would get on most club teams, its a terrifying prospect for the future. Not any fault of RD they are entitled to take as many good players as they like, its the system that allows them to.

Agree, There are nearly more annual transfers than you would see in the Premiership. I see it in Carton. Players coming and going every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I know it looks like that Maynooth team are going to get to the final but are they as strong as they can be today?

AGC wrote: »
    I know it looks like that Maynooth team are going to get to the final but are they as strong as they can be today?

I think we could have had them today.

To be fair Ronan Mullarney in the top match played out of his skin. Our fella never had a chance. Mullarney hit him with 7 birdies in his first 12 holes or something like that.

And Jack Walsh in the last match was level after 9 and then went -4 for the next 6 holes.

Our 3 matches were where we had a chance and matches 3 and 4 were both dormy up when they were called in. Match 2 was nip and tuck for a lot of the way but our fella found the water on 15 and that was the swaying in the match.

It'll be very close between Knock and Maynooth tomorrow in the final.

We definitely appreciated the Neutral support Gorfield. We would love to have taken it home. I think in the end, it was a little bit of course knowledge rather than player strength, that caught us today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Well done on getting that far Rikand, a great achievement on its own.
    Hard to beat that level of golf.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Well done on getting that far Rikand, a great achievement on its own.
    Hard to beat that level of golf.

I have me Senior Cup Connacht Gold Medal and me Senior Cup All Ireland Bronze and no-ones taking either of them away from me ;)

I think we could have had them today.

To be fair Ronan Mullarney in the top match played out of his skin. Our fella never had a chance. Mullarney hit him with 7 birdies in his first 12 holes or something like that.

And Jack Walsh in the last match was level after 9 and then went -4 for the next 6 holes.

Our 3 matches were where we had a chance and matches 3 and 4 were both dormy up when they were called in. Match 2 was nip and tuck for a lot of the way but our fella found the water on 15 and that was the swaying in the match.

It'll be very close between Knock and Maynooth tomorrow in the final.

We definitely appreciated the Neutral support Gorfield. We would love to have taken it home. I think in the end, it was a little bit of course knowledge rather than player strength, that caught us today.

Hard to beat them, as it's there home course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Hard to beat them, as it's there home course

Fair play to them winning with their 2nd team :rolleyes:

Advertisement