Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Andrew in jep?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Prince andrew.

a) Insists that he had never met this person and by extension had no sexual contact with her.

b) Settles, out of court and off the record.

Is this suspicious?

Secondly, and this is just an observation on my part, Jeffrey Epstein was arrested and was facing criminal charges as a result of his actions. Ghislaine Maxwell was convicted for Trafficking.

Prince Andrew was one of the men that was suspected of using these women for sex. No arrest, no questioning, no criminal consequences and a settlement that nobody can see.

Does the phrase "nobody is above the law" seem appropriate in this situation?

Another thought that struck me was who is actually paying for this.

Prince Andrew, The Queen or the British Taxpayer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It'll be the taxpayer. It's always the taxpayer when one of these inbred parasites needs a bailout. I'd say Andrew has done more for Republicanism in this country than anyone since Cromwell & Halifax.

Bizarrely, there's a pub near my workplace with his face above the door:

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

GB's reputation is really going in one direction, oh how the mighty have fallen.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Indeed. Barbados is ditching the monarchy and the Mauritians have gotten much more assertive over their claim to the Chagos islands.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

The police reviewed the case three times and decided that there wasn't sufficient evidence to warrant further investigation.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-police-no-further-action-over-prince-andrew-epstein-allegations-2021-10-11/

Is that a cover-up, I don't know. I mean nobody has come forward to corroborate VG's story as far as I'm aware.

So far, and I admit I'm not privvy to all of the evidence, but it looks like it's his word against hers regarding if they actually had sex. There are no witnesses etc. and Epstein's ahem.........suicide........means that he isn't around to give evidence. Maybe Maxwell knows something but she hasn't said anything and is unlikely to do so. Unless the US Police unearthed anything incriminating when they searched Epstein's and Maxwell's houses, then there doesn't appear to be much evidence against Andrew apart from VG's word.

And if it's accepted that Andrew and VG did have sex, you then have to prove that he knew she was trafficked for the purposes of sex. I reckon that would be very difficult to do. The burden of proof is far higher in a criminal case than in a civil case. How do you go about proving that Andrew knew that she was trafficked for the purposes of sex?

And I'm clutching at straws here but would you also have to prove that he knew she was under 18 at the time of the alleged offence?

While we all view this settlement as an admission of guilt, legally it is nothing of the sort so the settlement can't be used against Andrew either when it comes to a legal case.

He's permanently damaged in the eyes of the public but I can't see him being charged with a crime in relation to VG let alone convicted of it.

That said, if I was him I wouldn't be going on holiday to the US any time soon. Nor to a country that extradites people to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,303 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Given the different standards of proof required for civil and criminal cases it is not entirely surprising that criminal charges have not been laid.

Fitzrovia. Appears there's a few of them in central London. Bizarre.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah a lot of her wealth would be tied up in land, investmets but she does also have liquid assets- she owns 50 racehorses and also breeds them for stud fees. If she needed to generate several million she could do it reasonably quick.

Thats the next question the media are asking, is taxpayers money involved. If it is there will be war, the public will not tolerate their money being used to pay off the deeds of Andrew. As a consequence I doubt taxpayers money is involved becasue were that to come out it could threaten the very existance of the Royal Family. They know well that they only rule by consent of the public, if that ever turns on them theyre in trouble.

Anyway Andrew should be able to cover a substantial amount of the pay out himself. He sold his Swiss chalet last month for £17m minus the £5m he owed to the previous owner so £12m net. He may well have to borrow a few million from the Queen but he should have a fair wedge of the money himself already. Even if the Queen has to fund half of it from her personal wealth its not going to be a stretch for her.

While Andrew and Virginia are apparently banned from speaking about the deal, at least for much of 2022 according to the UK newspapers, it doesn't stop others close to them from doing so- I wonder if this article was orchestrated as so many of them have been over the last year

Virginia may well have her own VBF's who are willing to speak out on her behalf but without actually saying anything herself. If she does write a book which is widely rumoured, she'll make a hell of a lot of money out of it.

And oh dear, not 24 hours since the palace thought they could revert to peace and quiet, and Charles is now in the spotlight- they'd be better off jumping a generation and get some stability back in the royal family with The Cambridges into the driving throne.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10519069/Met-Police-launches-cash-honours-probe-Prince-Charles-former-right-hand-man.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

There's a HUGE elephant in the room here. He pays an incredible amount of money to someone who accused him of sexual assault through trafficking (or words to that affect, I actually don't understand the exact legal aspect she alleged) - but yet he didn't apologise in any way for that and instead went on to regret his association with Epstein- but gave her up to 12m STG.

It's not a criminal trial so the terms guilty and not-guilty are not really appropriate but do I believe he slept with Virginia Roberts when she was 17, in the UK? Hell yes.

I'm not championing his cause but why does he have to apologise? He hasn't admitted any wrongdoing apart from being friends with Epstein, which in itself isn't a crime, just a lack of judgement.

In fact, it's best for him if he doesn't apologise. Because as things stand he has done nothing wrong (in the eyes of the law) and an apology would only affirm his guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

Prince andrew to get new parish

• Registered Users Posts: 9,697 ✭✭✭buried

How is this thing in any way surprising? These people, the Royal Family, The Firm, whatever you want to call them, they are nothing but inbred, hierarchical and glorified tinkers. And that is a fact. The only reason for their existence is based on the manipulation, suffering and collected tributes donated by their targeted 'subjects', who these inbred dodgeballs do not give an actual damn about.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

I'm sensing a very subtle undertone of dislike for the Royals in your post. 😀

I'm just telling the truth B, if anybody deems it uncomfortable or dislikeable they can always seek the truth for themselves and ultimately deal with it.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't advise the need or the expense of counselling, all you need is a public library, and they are free.

My point is why pay 12mSTG? Especially since he hasn't apologised for anything that's worth 12M STG?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Traveller culture is far more honest and decent. They don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as that family of freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,240 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If you think about, the men - it's nearly always men - who have sex with trafficked sex workers are very rarely prosecuted. It is an offence to have sex with a trafficked sex worker, but in practice it's difficult to assemble the evidence to mount a successful prosecution, and most of the law enforcement effort is devoted to pursing the traffickers, rather than the customers who create the demand that the traffickers seek to meet. It's similar to the disparity of resources put into pursuing, convicting and imprisoning drug dealers, rather than the end users of the product.

Add to that Andrew's personal situation; how likely is it that a member of that family will ever be prosecuted for any significant crime in the UK? But I don't think we have to point to his status to explain how he isn't being prosecuted; SFAIK none of the people for whom Epstein procured girls have been prosecuted in the US; why would we expect anything different in the UK?

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,240 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The British royal family's finances are . . . complicated, but the Queen's personal fortune is estimated at £365 million. A fair chunk of that will be in land and similar property, but a lot will be in shares and securities that are readily saleable, and there will be at least several million in cash or near-cash. Plus with collateral like that she could borrow a sum like £12 million with no difficulty at all.

She would have no difficulty in finding £12 million in 24 hours, if she wanted to.

The vast majority of us believe that there's no smoke without fire so most people believe that a settlement is an admission of guilt. The law doesn't look at it that way. Legally speaking, he has done nothing wrong and by not apologising, there's no evidence that he's done anything wrong - legally speaking.

An apology would be an admission of wrongdoing. And he's now able to claim he did nothing wrong, apart from associate with Epstein, which wasn't illegal.

In our eyes, his reputation is mud. In the eyes of the law, he's an innocent man.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

In the agreement between Roberts and prince Andrew...it seems he's no longer allowed to deny that he never met... doesn't remember meeting ....no sexual contact whatsoever with.... Virginia Roberts.

There's nothing about meeting her, having sexual contact with her etc. in the statement that was issued so he is free to deny everything.

We won't believe him of course, but he's still free to deny it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

No it wasn't in the statement issued but in the finer details of their agreement...just happened to read it on some internet site.... can't remember it now

Advertisement