Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do mods get easy "likes"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

As a person who's been on lots of forums for different things and for different lengths of time I'd say that lots of people lick Arse when it comes to mods and that mods are a bunch of knob jockeys on each and every forum. They talk down to other users like a teacher with a cane would to a 2nd class student. They bust out the dictionary for their usually short and non humorous replies to users and a lot of them are people who are probably quite smart but have terrible social skills. Yeah I f*cking said it.

You get used to it after a while,but the "talking down"to people is quite shocking at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

anncoates wrote: »
    I'm not a mod and I get millions.

Liar liar pants on fire :eek:
    Total Thanks
    Thanked 26,781 Times in 6,473 Posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Attention seeker! When did you get an infraction?! :pac:

I would agree that mods tend to thank each other's posts but apart from supporting on-thread mod actions, I think that a lot of that is just that many of us have met each other and know each other IRL.
    It was a grave injustice.

It's more so ordinary users flocking to thank mod posts. I dont see why posters feel the need to thank on thread warnings, seriously? Or other simple posts by mods. I just don't get it. You'll always be mere plebeians to me.

I just read the last line! Ye cliquey fcukers! I feel so left out. :(

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

It was a grave injustice.

It's more so ordinary users flocking to thank mod posts. I dont see why posters feel the need to thank on thread warnings, seriously? Or other simple posts by mods. I just don't get it. You'll always be mere plebeians to me.

Depends on the warning I suppose. Some people will thank anything for sure, but in my experience, many posters thank mod warnings because:
    • they reported the post and are thanking the mod for actioning it.
    • they are the person being reported, and are acknowledging the warning.
    • the post being warned was a particularly douchey comment and they are letting the OP know that most people in the thread don't agree with it.

The thanks system has its flaws, much like Facebook's 'like' system, but in many forums it's representative of supporting a particular course of action, rather than posting the same thing over and over again, and it's a hell of a lot better than twenty or thirty "+1" posts cluttering up a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've seen some mod warning speeches so overbaked with self righteousness that even the sheep don't thank it. Those are always gas too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Imagine concerning yourself with this kind of bollocks. Good god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

It's very concerning and worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Macavity. wrote: »
    It's very concerning and worrying.

Oh is indeed. Very worrisome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Maybe she is.

I see I've got over 1600 Thanks.

I had set my heart on the Soup Maker but at this rate I don't think I can even afford the small casserole.

I suppose the Mods get all the best prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I haven't slept in weeks. My thanks-ticker is slowing down and I can't figure it out :(

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Sauve wrote: »
    I haven't slept in weeks. My thanks-ticker is slowing down and I can't figure it out :(

T'is to be expected at your age, sure.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

fran17 wrote: »
    Yes,yes they do.Some people will thank anything.Its also used as a way for groups to attempt to belittle other posters and there opinions.

I also think that when a poster has been asked by a mod not to post in a thread again, the poster shouldn't be allowed to thank other posts as well from that point on.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I also think that when a poster has been asked by a mod not to post in a thread again, the poster shouldn't be allowed to thank other posts as well.

Why not?

I also think that when a poster has been asked by a mod not to post in a thread again, the poster shouldn't be allowed to thank other posts as well.

So you think that moderators are going to go through every thanks at the bottom of every post just to make sure it hasn't been thanked by a particular poster?!

They've been asked not to contribute - they haven't been told that they can't read the thread and agree/disagree with it.

Why not?

Because they are still contributing to the debate, it goes against the spirit of the mod instruction.

Because they are still contributing to the debate, it goes against the spirit of the mod instruction.

You consider likes to be a contribution to a debate? :confused:

mike_ie wrote: »
    So you think that moderators are going to go through every thanks at the bottom of every post just to make sure it hasn't been thanked by a particular poster?!

They've been asked not to contribute - they haven't been told that they can't read the thread and agree/disagree with it.
    That's the thing though, they haven't been asked not to contribute - they've been told not to post.
    Thanking a post is a contribution.

Perhaps a changing to mod's wording of this would solve this subtle way of staying active in a thread where a poster is no longer welcome?

That's the thing though, they haven't been asked not to contribute - they've been told not to post.
    Thanking a post is a contribution.

Perhaps a changing to mod's wording of this would solve this subtle way of staying active in a thread where a poster is no longer welcome?

Thanking isn't posting though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

So? Let's take a really popular topic in AH: dole threads!
    Person A says "sure everyone on the dole is a pack of lying, thieving scumbags", Person B says "I don't like how a lot of people on the dole seem to be happy to diddle the welfare and claim more than they should. It's not all of them but still enough that i don't like it".

Person A gets told not to post again. Person B continues to post, debating their position. Person A agrees with them so they thank the posts. Person B might not agree with Person A but it shouldn't give anyone the right not to agree.

You can voice your opinion, just don't be a dick. So thanking posts that aren't being a dick but that you agree with/support isn't against the rules.

You consider likes to be a contribution to a debate? :confused:

Yes I do.

Not the most important, but a contribution all the same.

• Advertisement

It's the poster's post/attitude that aren't welcome, though.
    I've seen it both ways: don't post/don't contribute.
    In either case, they're not really breaking rules. The direction not to post is to make sure they don't have a chance to break the rules.

Yes I do.

Not the most important, but a contribution all the same.

So you think mods should waste hours every day checking the thanks in case someone who is banned from posting has liked a post? You should DEFINITELY take this to feedback and see what the mods think of it.

Thanking isn't posting though!

Never said it was.

Supporting a side is taking part in it. Even if it's a minor way that more than likely won't ever make a difference.

But wanting that to be against the rules is a way, way overboard.

So you think mods should waste hours every day checking the thanks in case someone who is banned from posting has liked a post? You should DEFINITELY take this to feedback and see what the mods think of it.

I think the warning should be changed to 'Don't contribute to this thread again'

It saves a lot more mod time than your suggestion and stops another way of abusing the thanks system dead in it's tracks.

I think the warning should be changed to 'Don't contribute to this thread again'

It saves a lot more mod time than your suggestion and stops another way of abusing the thanks system dead in it's tracks.

But unless a mod spends hours checking the thanks then how will they know if a "contribution" has been made?

But unless a mod spends hours checking the thanks then how will they know if a "contribution" has been made?

Same way as they always do.

A combination of reading the threads and reported posts.

I need to know. In what way is a user thanking a post being a problem to the thread?

The day I have to read through a couple hundred 'thanks' per thread to try and enforce the rules is the day I hand back my mod status, and I'd be surprised if most moderators didn't feel the same. Whether a disruptive poster adds a thanks or two to a thread makes very little difference - whether (s)he continues to add disruptive posts, does.

• Advertisement

I need to know. In what way is a user thanking a post being a problem to the thread?

You've never noticed a circle jerk of posters in all your time here??

Advertisement