Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do mods get easy "likes"

Options
  • 01-01-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

I often see mods posts comments, often very similar to other posts but yet their posts have way more likes that orignal

Do folk brown-nose by just liking any gibberish by a mod..do mods get easier likes coz their the gaffers around the village..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Everyone likes to get on the good side of their betters :pac::pac::pac: 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I wouldn't think so no
    That'd be pretty bad

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's embarrassing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I get **** all likes anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,162 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Links234 wrote: »
    I get **** all likes anyway

Awww.... c'mere you and have a hug....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

There are a few posters who always rally in to thank the mods. It's really funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Some mods, not all. Its always cringeworthy when a mod bans someone to see a bunch of thanks from the usual clique of lickarses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'm not a mod and I get millions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

I would reckon that if your theory is true (and I doubt it is), that mods from the more popular forums (Soccer, After Hours, etc.) would make a killing in the Thanks section ("Likes"? The f*ck do you think this is? Facebook?! :P )

However, I do not think it to be true.

But the truth is out there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Circle jerking is terrible at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I think all mods are great.
    Like Tony Tiger on the Kellogs frosties cereal
    I need to buy a new pair of shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

I think removing 'likes' from AH, maybe not other forums would dramatically increase the quality of postings here. The amount of inane 'one liners', Father Ted references and sheer gibberish sometimes is really frustrating. It's like wading through heaps of crap to read only a handful of worthwhile contributions to each thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Anyone else ever briefly mistake a subscriber for a mod?

...and then you have to un-thank them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Not really. I haven't noticed it.
    Some mods, not all. Its always cringeworthy when a mod bans someone to see a bunch of thanks from the usual clique of lickarses

That's not fair; sometimes people are genuinely thankful for it. If you're going around thanking mods everytime they do something then you'd have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Taco Chips wrote: »
    I think removing 'likes' from AH, maybe not other forums would dramatically increase the quality of postings here. The amount of inane 'one liners', Father Ted references and sheer gibberish sometimes is really frustrating. It's like wading through heaps of crap to read only a handful of worthwhile contributions to each thread.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

*thanks all mod posts above*

Nah they don't.

I'm not above playing the flattery game where it's merited and may yield benefits,e.g. In a work context

But jaysus,the day I brown-nose some randomer cos they're a moderator on a chat board is the day that I should log off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Been on this website in one form or another (including as a mod) for nigh on 10 year and have learned about the dynamics of the place. It does seem like there are circle-jerks and licking up to the mods and so on, but after a while you realise things often aren't as they seem.
    I think, apart from the post itself, the thing that draws people to a post and often thanks of it, is familiarity with the username, whether mod or not. This isn't necessarily a conscious thing either.
    If you're not a known quantity your posts are more likely to go unnoticed, but different story after a while if you become more of a familiar name. A perfect example of this is a joke or whatever by a mod or well known poster being thanked to oblivion... despite the exact same post by an unfamiliar person prior to it being ignored. It's not deliberate though.
    People get a bit hyper-sensitive/paranoid about not being thanked when there's nothing personal actually going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Taco Chips wrote: »

Careful now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I don't think the liking thing really goes on or if it does, people overemphasize the extent.

That said, I do cringe badly when mods convene on a thread from time to time and make arch jokes together about modding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm not a mod but I'm going to get a fair few "likes" for this post :pac:

KTRIC wrote: »
    I'm not a mod but I'm going to get a fair few "likes" for this post :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I think, apart from the post itself, the thing that draws people to a post and often thanks of it, is familiarity with the username, whether mod or not. This isn't necessarily a conscious thing either.

Pretty much. I mean I know bluewolf or Wibbs to be fairly accurate on their posts or at least I usually would agree with them. They're both mods but they're just people I tend to agree with. Same with El Guapo! before he was a mod I usually did like his posts; he's amusing. Same with a few others. You just get to recognizing names that you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Feels quite good when you are part of it, especially when you all cum at the same time

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

/waits for 'thanks' to roll in....

*tumbleweeds*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

anncoates wrote: »
    I don't think the liking thing really goes on or if it does, people overemphasize the extent.

That said, I do cringe badly when mods convene on a thread from time to time and make arch jokes together about modding.

Coke and hookers :pac:

Kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's gas when two posters are arguing and the mod steps in giving out to them, and they both thank it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

I think a limit on the number of thanks you can give a day would make people think a bit harder on whether a post is worth it.
    as a side benefit it would mark out particularly good posts.

Advertisement