Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do mods get easy "likes"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

darced wrote: »
    Its only natural anyway as you get modded for chatting sense.

In the majority of cases, people get jumped on merely for being twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I don't see the problem of mods thanking mods in the case of feedback or the likes. Logically when you thank a post it means you either agree with it or are genuinely thankful for it.

Mods thanking mods for making response they agree with would cut down on a lot of the same thing. how many times can you say (for example): you can't insult someone since it's against the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Only from lick arses, Internet licks the worst kind

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Grayditch wrote: »
    It's gas when two posters are arguing and the mod steps in giving out to them, and they both thank it.

I'd say that's just acknowledgement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

bluewolf wrote: »

Actually I wonder if that's what OP is on about now that I think about it.
    I'd wager a lot of the posts in the charter for here have upwards of 20 thanks. I remember one time someone (I think it was one of the AH mods or else Gordon) made a sticky. Basically saying "thank this if you've read it". It was either to do with reinforcing the rules or something or the other.

If that's what the OP is on about I'd agree but it's not really "being thanked cause they're being a mod" and more of a sort of... necessity thing.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    It's gas when two posters are arguing and the mod steps in giving out to them, and they both thank it.

Yeah, it's kinda like "I'm the better person here"

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Yeah, it's kinda like "I'm the better person here"

Or "we've read the warning, thanks for the heads up"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

A mod is a human being just like the rest of us (i think) so I'll thank anything they say that I agree with or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

anncoates wrote: »
    That said, I do cringe badly when mods convene on a thread from time to time and make arch jokes together about modding.

Don't ever visit the Feedback forum, it's even worse over there to the point of belittling some posters.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Or "we've read the warning, thanks for the heads up"

Think it could be a bit of both

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mod's and b00bs get likes

Which reminds me, where are those mod b00bs again????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

bluewolf wrote: »

I know, but it just looks like two chastised children thanking Daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Can you picture it Father can you? Him just ready to 'do the business'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Don't ever visit the Feedback forum, it's even worse over there to the point of belittling some posters.

It's turned into a "notice me I want to be a mod "forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Taco Chips wrote: »
    I think removing 'likes' from AH, maybe not other forums would dramatically increase the quality of postings here. The amount of inane 'one liners', Father Ted references and sheer gibberish sometimes is really frustrating. It's like wading through heaps of crap to read only a handful of worthwhile contributions to each thread.

If you say that to me again , I'll put your head through the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Galway K9 wrote: »
    If you say that to me again , I'll put your head through the wall.

Careful now.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

padd b1975 wrote: »
    kneemos wrote: »
    It's turned into a "notice me I want to be a mod "forum.

Should probably start a feedback thread on it I suppose....

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Careful now.

I know...the Poseidon Adventure! Gene Hackman plays a priest in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mike_ie wrote: »
    Should probably start a feedback thread on it I suppose....

Might.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

We sure do, roll in boys. Get the free no-ban passes.

But seriously, some groups of people thank each other more often and it wouldn't just be mods or non mods when it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Sometimes when I get an infraction, I thank the on thread warning in the hope that the infraction will be reversed. Never happens. :-(

Yes I've noticed it. Bit cringey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Specialun wrote: »
    I often see mods posts comments, often very similar to other posts but yet their posts have way more likes that orignal

Do folk brown-nose by just liking any gibberish by a mod..do mods get easier likes coz their the gaffers around the village..

Yes,yes they do.Some people will thank anything.Its also used as a way for groups to attempt to belittle other posters and there opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

The two mods with the least amount of thanks each week should have to fight to the death in the Colosseum.

Just a simple suggestion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Gandalph wrote: »
    The two mods with the least amount of thanks each week should have to fight to the death in the Colosseum.

Just a simple suggestion.
    Poor Mustard mods :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Eh lads just one thing, when did boards become facebook? Gway with yer feckin "likes" They're thanks ffs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been using this site for years before 'thanks' existed.

I've been using this site for years after 'thanks' existed.

People say it's brought in X,Y, Z.. but you know what? That **** has always been there.

It hasn't changed anything. The only thing it's allowed is for you to quickly skim through a thread and see which posts have the most thanks.

That's it. Really. The site wasn't better before, it wasn't better after. It's pretty much exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Specialun wrote: »
    I often see mods posts comments, often very similar to other posts but yet their posts have way more likes that orignal

Do folk brown-nose by just liking any gibberish by a mod..do mods get easier likes coz their the gaffers around the village..

So little to be worried about

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭harrymagina

Funny that when there is a new mod announced people are congratulating them
    Its like congratulating someone on taking a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

As a person who's been on lots of forums for different things and for different lengths of time I'd say that lots of people lick Arse when it comes to mods and that mods are a bunch of knob jockeys on each and every forum. They talk down to other users like a teacher with a cane would to a 2nd class student. They bust out the dictionary for their usually short and non humorous replies to users and a lot of them are people who are probably quite smart but have terrible social skills. Yeah I f*cking said it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Sometimes when I get an infraction, I thank the on thread warning in the hope that the infraction will be reversed. Never happens. :-(

Yes I've noticed it. Bit cringey.

Attention seeker! When did you get an infraction?! :pac:

I would agree that mods tend to thank each other's posts but apart from supporting on-thread mod actions, I think that a lot of that is just that many of us have met each other and know each other IRL.

Advertisement