Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hungry? C4 to create comedy series...about the famine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I think he's explaining why it wouldn't happen as to why it shouldn't happen.

But...But... I thought you all said "there was no limits". So there is a limit then?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

buried wrote: »
    But...But... I thought you all said "there was no limits". So there is a limit then?

Now you're just being fatuous.

Now you're just being fatuous.

Seeing as how your all such fans of "comedy", I have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You claimed there should "be no limits to comedy", but now your claiming because of "business reasons" there are legitimate limits? :confused:

Yep. First and foremost these are companies with a responsibility to generate profit be it short term or long term. Ethically, if they had the correct spin, I wouldn't have any issue with a comedy based around the situation in Ethiopia (as a separate example, I think the Rwandan situation could have plenty of opportunity for critical comedy) so long as it was done correctly. Because the one thing that's always paramount in those situations is to remember you are walking a tightrope. But from a business standpoint, the limits are very, very obvious: don't lose money.

Business and entertainment go together like oil and water, but that's the dichotomy of that industry - they have to work together because without paying attention to one, the other will fall apart.

The business issue here is simple and blunt: not enough people in the UK/Ireland would give a sh*t about the Ethiopian famine to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Would you believe I've just seen Lee Nelson do an African Famine joke on BBC1. It wasn't outrageously funny, yet it wasn't insensitive either. It appears the limits are being pushed every day where comedy is concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

“I don’t want to do anything that denies the suffering that people went through, but Ireland has always been good at black humor. We’re kind of thinking of it as “Shameless” in famine Ireland.”The Showtime US version of “Shameless” series depicts the dysfunctional family of Irish American Frank Gallagher, a single father of six children. While he spends his days drunk, his kids learn to take care of themselves.
    So we are basing a sitcom on The Famine on a drunken Irish American series.
    I think they have the wrong Shameless.

I think they have the wrong Shameless.

Both versions are pretty much based on the same idea, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

A few paragraphs from a local parish book here in Cork published a few years back ...

"Bodies lay in the fields and on the roadside, as hordes of the destitute poor died of starvation, disease and hardship..,. Most of the victims were buried in - and - cemeteries but so grave was the catastrophe that victims also had to be placed at at least 3 other unmarked locations in the parish ...

The dead were placed in shallow pits dug out, a bottom hinged coffin was used so as to make it easier to drop the corpses... first hand accounts describe the dead being carried in cart loads.

The most poignant relates to the 7 Dugan brothers who were buried without shroud or coffin in - on one day during the height of the famine devastation in this parish."

This happened in every townland, town and city in the country - they will do well to pull comedy from that!

irishfeen wrote: »
    This happened in every townland, town and city in the country - they will do well to pull comedy from that!

They will. And hopefully it'll be hilarious.

The extermination of the Jews was a pretty nasty business too but Roberto Benigni managed to turn that into a heartfelt comedy film pretty successfully.

They will. And hopefully it'll be hilarious.

The extermination of the Jews was a pretty nasty business too but Roberto Benigni managed to turn that into a heartfelt comedy film pretty successfully.
    We won't be long finding out - I doubt it though. I don't think it will ever make it to air.

• Advertisement

We won't be long finding out - I doubt it though. I don't think it will ever make it to air.

You don't think it will, or you hope it won't?

Personally I think it will be a bit of a shame if it won't, so long as it is a well thought out piece and not along the lines of "oh look Tommy's eaten all the turf, sure what'll we put in the fire?" crap that Ireland has a bit of a depressing recent history of producing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

I know this is going to be utterly pointless but could you answer this question which I keep asking? - Would it be acceptable for an American network such as NBC to create a sit-com based on the American Slave trade?

Only if they get Dave Chappelle to write and star in it.

Billy86 wrote: »
    You don't think it will, or you hope it won't?

Personally I think it will be a bit of a shame if it won't, so long as it is a well thought out piece and not along the lines of "oh look Tommy's eaten all the turf, sure what'll we put in the fire?" crap that Ireland has a bit of a depressing recent history of producing.
    It depends, if they dishonour and mock the memory of people who died in the ditches through no fault of their own then no .. If they (and I really don't know can they) put a different spin on it then who knows it could be a classic.

We'll be ages finding out. Sure it's not even written yet.
    It depends, if they dishonour and mock the memory of people who died in the ditches through no fault of their own then no .. If they (and I really don't know can they) put a different spin on it then who knows it could be a classic.

This is what I don't understand. Why do people think an Irish writer would want to make something that mocks famine victims?

Channel 4 should make a ridiculous 'sit-com' where each year the British people pay millions of their own taxed earned monies to a German dynasty lineage called 'The House of Saxe-Coburg Gotha', where in this sit-com the British allow this German dynasty to literally do nothing, let them own all of the land, subsidize them to live in palaces, go on free holidays. Give these foreign German's ridiculous fairy-tale title's such as 'Kings' and 'Queens', put their German faces on the actual currency of the nation, make this German family the apex of the nation's religion - to literally worship a foreign German dynasty. While at the same time, the current idiotic British Prime Minister b!tches and moans about 'foreigners' stealing British money and jobs because that's what the majority of British people want to hear. Now that's a comedy....... Oh wait....... that's Britain's actual REALITY isn't it? Ah well, still funny as f**k. Even more so because its actually true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

we wouldnt have starved if we hadnt made all them spuds into chips that we carry on our shoulders...could have eaten them :)

Channel 4 should make a ridiculous 'sit-com' where each year the British people pay millions of their own taxed earned monies to a German dynasty lineage called 'The House of Saxe-Coburg Gotha', where in this sit-com the British allow this German dynasty to literally do nothing, let them own all of the land, subsidize them to live in palaces, go on free holidays. Give these foreign German's ridiculous fairy-tale title's such as 'Kings' and 'Queens', put their German faces on the actual currency of the nation, make this German family the apex of the nation's religion - to literally worship a foreign German dynasty. While at the same time, the current idiotic British Prime Minister b!tches and moans about 'foreigners' stealing British money and jobs because that's what the majority of British people want to hear. Now that's a comedy....... Oh wait....... that's Britain's actual REALITY isn't it? Ah well, still funny as f**k. Even more so because its actually true.

Chris Morris & Charlie Brooker would give it a good bash I reckon. Not a bad premise for a satire show to be fair.

That's actually a pretty good premise though to be fair. That's the thing about comedy, portray your point correctly and you shouldn't be bound by anything. Done correctlym it's a much more effective means of being critical and drawing attention to issues than drama could ever hope to be.

Chris Morris & Charlie Brooker would give it a good bash I reckon. Not a bad premise for a satire show to be fair.

No need for Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker to "do it" at all. Its the actual truth. Hilarious isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

No need for Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker to "do it" at all. Its the actual truth. Hilarious isn't it?

Yes it is funny, which is why comedians and writers are constantly drawing on it for inspiration for sketches and stand up - your little rant however was drawn from the very malice you are supposedly opposed to.

• Advertisement

We'll be ages finding out. Sure it's not even written yet.

This is what I don't understand. Why do people think an Irish writer would want to make something that mocks famine victims?
    Ah what's the Shameless reference suppose to tell us??

Many programs are "the actual truth" but that doesn't stop them from becoming great shows when translated to TV, also add in the fact it's a way to analyse the events in hindsight which can be a great tool in itself.

You seem really mad about this show that hasn't even been written yet...

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Yes it is funny, which is why comedians and writers are constantly drawing on it for inspiration for sketches and stand up - your little rant however was drawn from the very malice you are supposedly opposed to.

"My little rant"?? Its the actual truth. A lot of the time the actual truth is far more entertaining than fiction.

You seem really mad about this show that hasn't even been written yet...

You now seem pretty mad yourself since I've highlighted the actual, real life, comedy showcase which is the actual state of 'Britain'.

You now seem pretty mad yourself since I've highlighted the actual, real life, comedy showcase which is the actual state of 'Britain'.

I'm not mad at all mate I'm just pointing out the absurdity of your rants. God save the Queen.

I'm not mad at all mate I'm just pointing out the absurdity of your rants. God save the Queen.

And God save you too man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Satire is satire. Nothing should be off limits. Watch Chris Morris for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭pillphil

Ah what's the Shameless reference suppose to tell us??

Shameless(UK) is about a group people marginalised by their government who have no real possibility of escaping their situation and the crimes they commit to support themselves and their families.

Sounds like a perfect blueprint for a comedy set during the famine.

Do you think people didn't steal to survive during the famine? Do you think they didn't fúck each other, or get pissed given a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I do believe that Freedom of speech should be more important, especially when it comes to Comedy.
    What some people find offensive is ridiculous (to me, obviously not to them), so banning everything that somebody gets offended by would make for horrible viewing.
    However, Freedom of Speech in the UK and Ireland, is the exact opposite of what it means in America. In the UK you are (to the letter of the law) not even allowed to think the Queen is an asshole/idiot/whatever.
    I don't know if that applies to everyone, but you're certainly not allowed to say it. So for that reason alone, I doubt it will get the green light.

All of that said, if it goes ahead, the Writer and the station would want to be pretty sure that most or all of the jokes required the sitcom to be written during that period of time in history in Ireland, and be funny.
    They'd want to give us/everyone a valid reason to sit down every week and laugh at the people during the great famine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Allyall wrote: »
    In the UK you are (to the letter of the law) not even allowed to think the Queen is an asshole/idiot/whatever.
    I don't know if that applies to everyone, but you're certainly not allowed to say it.

That didnt stop Johnny Rotten.;)

Mind you,one of the MP's at the time wanted him prosecuted under the traitors and treasons act which still carried the death penalty.

Advertisement