Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hungry? C4 to create comedy series...about the famine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Wasn't this on Alan Partridge before?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Can't possibly be any worse than Ryantown, Extra Extra or Leave It To Mrs O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Black adder goes hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Wow. As a comedy?

How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishmans family?

None

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

screw it. if us Irish can dish it out about other cultures we should be able to take it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Probably pay back for exporting Mrs. Brown's boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

channel 4 haven't had much luck with irish based comedy since Fr Ted. that london irish program they had last year was pure muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

That Lambo thing on the RTE player was rubbish, Travers would need to up his game substantially if he is going to do this right. For it to work it would need the humour to be satirical along the lines of Dr Strangelove which is a big ask I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

No more bizarre than a comedy set during the Korean war. Or WWI.

I actually see it as potentially positive as most in Britain aren't that aware of the famine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

petrolcan wrote: »

I actually see it as potentially positive as most in Britain aren't that aware of the famine.

Potentially positive? Are you for real? The English will have a great laugh at the thick Paddies who couldn't grow their potatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i hear its going to called...............mash

*gets coat

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Probably based on under the hawthorn tree. Barrel of laughs it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Probably pay back for exporting Mrs. Brown's boys.

BBC Scotland had a hand in that show

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I can't wait till someone does a comedy series based on the Holocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

petrolcan wrote: »

Or WW2 Nazi occupied France...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

At least its been written by a Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Or WW2 Nazi occupied France...
    Well, Blackadder has already done WW1, so it's about time one was set during WW2...

Gonna keep an open mind about this one; it could be epic, or it could fail badly. We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

lertsnim wrote: »
    I can't wait till someone does a comedy series based on the Holocaust.
    Exactly. I'd like to see one done on the Trans-Atlantic slave trade too. Doubt they'd have the balls, but it's alright to slag off auld Paddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Wasn't this on Alan Partridge before?

"If it was just the potatoes that were affected, at the end of the day, you will pay the price if you're a fussy eater."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

At least its been written by a Paddy.

and that makes it alright then?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well you could imagine the fuss if it were by a Brit eh? At least this guy can draw on folk memory to create a clever insightful comedy a la Blackadder Goes Forth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

dya remember when we stole their food and shipped it out of the country. lol. stupid irish people.
    Reports concerning English policy towards genuine charity are hard to ignore. One account had the people of Massachusetts sending a ship of grain to Ireland that English authorities placed in storage claiming that it would disturb trade. Another report has the British government appealing to the Sultan of Turkey to reduce his donation from £10,000 to £1,000 in order not to embarrass Queen Victoria who had only pledged £1,000 to relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is not Channel 4 walking on egg shells like it normally does. Ali G, Benefits Street, Father Ted etc. This is Channel 4 walking on broken glass. Tricky subject to be attempting a sitcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,431 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

the_syco wrote: »
    Well, Blackadder has already done WW1, so it's about time one was set during WW2...

Gonna keep an open mind about this one; it could be epic, or it could fail badly. We shall see.

Allo Allo,
    it ain't half hot mum,
    Dads army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Hmm I bet a few complainer's here have had a good laugh at starvin Marvin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Robsweezie wrote: »
    screw it. if us Irish can dish it out about other cultures we should be able to take it as well.

yes because the british making a comedy about something that they helped cause from a british point of view is really a good idea.

Maybe we should make a comedy about british paratroopers shooting women and children.... lets see how well that is recieved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

This could be brilliant depending on how good the script turns out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Would it be OK if it was not a comedy ? You know like that Viking one or that one about Rome ? They were a great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I think it could be really good if done properly. Its a theme that lends itself to dark humour with some cutting satire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Allo Allo,
    it ain't half hot mum,
    Dads army.
    Good point ole boy. Holocaust comedy then! They will nazi that one coming!
    twinytwo wrote: »
    Maybe we should make a comedy about british paratroopers shooting women and children.... lets see how well that is recieved
    I wonder how "71" was received?

Advertisement