Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So which alcohol personally gives you the worst hangover?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

Spirits,shots,absinthe..I'll stick to the beer ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Champagne without question, especially when mixed with spirits. The headaches are monumental. The usual reliable trip for a steam room and swim won't shift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

ill add Jaeger Bombs with pints of Bulmers to my list. Sweet Jesus the Horror :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭anto3473

Buckfast, the first and last time I drank it I drank 2 bottles.... The following day I had to go on a long bus journey had the shakes and a sense of impending doom like I never had in my life... I shudder even thinking of it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

That would be Sherry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Chilean wine doesn't give me a hangover, any other countries wine does. No idea why, maybe less additives? Spanish/American wine leaves me with a cracking headache the next day.

Try a New Zealand, Marlbourgh, Sauvignon Blanc. I was a Chile white wine person but the NZ ones are much crispier, no hangover at all.. and tastier :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Tuborg......dark angel of death take me now.....

Or futzenburg:-) wow it knocked you for six

Do they still sell it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Poteen

Drank it a few times,holy mother of god you would blow up after ðrinking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    Try a New Zealand, Marlbourgh, Sauvignon Blanc. I was a Chile white wine person but the NZ ones are much crispier, no hangover at all.. and tastier :D

Not a fan of white, I like red. But thanks for the tip. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

realies wrote: »
    Poteen

Drank it a few times,holy mother of god you would blow up after ðrinking it.

This.

Work of the devil. You know that vodka breath you get the morning after?

Well, poitin has the same idea, except you have the taste of a mixture of vomit and paint stripper for the day. I have never tasted worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I can't drink wine or taurine, instant migraine. Spirits are all good though.

Also, have a good pizza before you drink and a full litre of water at the end of the night. You'll gain weight and be up half the night peeing but you won't be hungover the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Aguardiente. One of those things that seems like a really good idea on holiday. The last time my head felt like that of the unfortunate fellow in this scene for the whole next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I think every type of drink gives the same hangover, it just depends if I drink a lot or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Quantity does me in. If I drink a lot of any alcoholic drink, I get a hangover. But I have found that vodka, Bacardi, gin, white wine, etc. all give me a fairly manageable hangover.

Guinness, lagers, whiskies, etc. (ie. darker drinks) give me a far worse hangover.

I'm also a complete and utter wuss when it comes to hangovers. For a proper bad hangover, I need a whole day in bed more or less, complete with litres of water and a lot of moaning and feeling sorry for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭YoungKhalifa

Fireball whiskey without a doubt the worst hangover for me

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Tails!

Wine. Oh sweet Jesus it's awful. I'm probably gonna wake up in a pool of vomit after a bottle

Tails! wrote: »
    Wine. Oh sweet Jesus it's awful. I'm probably gonna wake up in a pool of vomit after a bottle

You should possibly try drinking better wine. I get pretty bad hangovers from the cheap sh1t too. Spend a few euros more & they're only a fraction as bad.

To be honest I just avoid it at all costs now it's just not worth the hassle. I'm not a huge fan of wine anyway

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Blue Moon is definitely the worst beer for giving me hangovers, followed closely by Erdinger and Fischer's.

Wine is one of the great gifts of civilisation. Put your bad experiences behind you & approach it again with an open mind. Drinking it with food is the best way to appreciate it.

• Advertisement

I'd much rather a vodka and coke, much tastier and wake up hangover free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I had one of the worst ever hangovers New Years day - started off with a few stouts from some brewery in Meath, then a few glasses of wine with a meal. Washed that down with a few guinness, then a schnapps (kirsch), gin and tonic and finished the night with a scotch. Absolutely dying New Years day. One Of them has to be the culprit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Worst in order of severity:
    1. Tequila
    2. Victoria Bitter
    3. Budweiser(from a can)
    4. Cheap red wine (shiraz particularly)
    5. Questionable Guinness (It only takes one)
    6. Jagermeister
    7. Any other spirit with Red Bull added
    8. Jack Daniels
    9. Sambucca
    10. Cider (Harder on the guts, less so on the head, but prevents use of medicine the next day due to dry retching etc.)

Best in order of Miracles witnessed/experienced
    1. Stone and Wood Pacific Ale (Smashed an entire carton, slept in a tent in 32 degree heat, woke up with a thin film of sweat on my upper lip and a voracioius appetite. Perfect Crime)
    2. Jameson (Mixed with Ice only, and adding a pint or two of water before passing out, cottonmouth was the only consequence)
    3. Potin (Fairly sure I was still bollokcsed the next day, minor tremors, no pain)
    4. Good Merlot (Use a decanter, if there is a reasonabl amount of sediment in the filter, you can go wild, thats the hangover filtered out)
    5. Tanqueray Gin (With Tonic naturally, Have reached orbit a few times on these and landed like a swan on a still lake)
    6. Agua de Coca and Red Bull ( Possibly the only drink I've had with Red Bull and not paid the price. excessive dancing and tomfoolery probably burned off most of the badness though....)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

Red wine. Horrible stuff. Even if I only drink two glasses and remain sober, it still has an effect on me the next day.

Whisk(e)y on the other hand never rarely gives me a hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I can drink any spirits really without getting too much if any of a hangover.

I can't drink beer anymore , 6 cans would have me getting sick the next morning...it's now a no go area..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Back when I was poor........er, I used to drink Bavaria. Had to stop drinking that piss when my stomach felt like it was shít out through my liver the morning after.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Tails! wrote: »

Had a nightmare experience on wine as a teenager. Not touched the stuff in 20 years. Even the smell of it gets me a bit queasy.

Such a pity to see so many people depriving themselves of one of life's greatest pleasures on the basis of some plonk they drank when they were young. Seriously folks, spend €10 -15 on a decent Bordeaux or Argentinian Malbec, cook (or better yet have cooked for you) a hearty meal & sit down with good company & the bottle. You won't look back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

No drink on its own will give me a bad hangover, but like many here it is the combination.

Start the evening with a couple of Pints->Then a meal with wine -> Brandy after the meal ->More pints ->A couple of shots before closing time.->Kebab =Hangover.

• Advertisement

Mixing grape with grain is very risky if you want to avoid a hangover, especially if you don't eat enough. I love wine but I know that if I drank a bottle of red with no food or only a light meal then went out & had a rake of lagers followed by Jamesons I'd be in bits the next day.

Advertisement