Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So which alcohol personally gives you the worst hangover?

Options
  • 01-01-2015 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Over the last 2 months or so, I've gotten pissed on a different type of alcohol every night I've been out, to find out which is the best when it comes to avoiding a hangover. Personally, I've noticed whiskey, gin, vodka, cider, ale and stout will give me a fairly bad hangover, but usually after a shower, water, and eating whatever I can eat, I'll be able to go about my daily business with only some fatigue. Tequila is the work of the devil though, drinking tequila for me means staying in bed all day the next day. Lager on the other hand though, is fantastic, I can down lager by the pitcher, black out for the night, barely even make it home, go asleep at about 4 and wake up at 10, hangover free.
    Has anyone else noticed similar results?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I never get any hangover after vodka... I don't even get that drunk off it any more. Guinness gives me a shocking bad hangover but after a few hours I'll be alright. I think it's true when they say the darker the drink the worse the hangover. I'll be fairly shook after a tonne of Jager as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Worst hangover I've ever had came from the Erdinger served at that Oktoberfest in Dublin IFSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Industrial alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Bud, definitely Bud. I dont know why i just bought a case of it :( Its as cheap as chips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

That of the liquid kind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

All alcohol. Except white wine, for some reason.

So I hardly ever drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Too much of anything really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I never get any hangover after vodka... I don't even get that drunk off it any more. Guinness gives me a shocking bad hangover but after a few hours I'll be alright. I think it's true when they say the darker the drink the worse the hangover. I'll be fairly shook after a tonne of Jager as well
    Same for me. I never get hangovers from vodka or gin.

I find cider, whiskey and red wine the worst for hangovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

I only had 4 pints last night and this morning I had a terrible hangover.

That's the last time I'm drinking whisky

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

The cigarettes and booming music usually are the contributing culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Beerwinevodka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I usually drink only vodka, I can drink a lot of that and while I wouldn't claim to be hangover free the next day, it's fairly manageable and I'm normally respectable by lunchtime.

When I drink cider all night though, I get awful hangovers that linger for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Pints of miller nearly finished me off years ago…
    Can drink lots of wine tho hassle free..

Bad guinness is bad news. Along with the whopper hangover the dose of skitters don't help !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Cider and red wine are the pits, vodka doesn't give me much of a hangover at all if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Mixing drinks is my big no no.
    Just a few of the one type and it's all good in the hood. It's when someone appears with shots or some aul concoction that it gets funky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Olde english 800 malt liquor, hangover is like being hit by a freight train

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

Vodka without a doubt. The fear hits me fair hard the morning after :D that and Sambuca.

I could drink cider all night and wake up fine in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Last night I had a lethal cocktail of heineken, Guinness, Jameson, sambuca, jaeger bombs and 2 double vodkas and red bull and I'm grand today. Only a few days ago I had a few pints of Guinness and I was in bits the next day with a hangover. Hangovers be crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Over the last 2 months or so, I've gotten pissed on a different type of alcohol every night I've been out, to find out which is the best when it comes to avoiding a hangover. Personally, I've noticed whiskey, gin, vodka, cider, ale and stout will give me a fairly bad hangover, but usually after a shower, water, and eating whatever I can eat, I'll be able to go about my daily business with only some fatigue. Tequila is the work of the devil though, drinking tequila for me means staying in bed all day the next day. Lager on the other hand though, is fantastic, I can down lager by the pitcher, black out for the night, barely even make it home, go asleep at about 4 and wake up at 10, hangover free.
    Has anyone else noticed similar results?

Beer, though I'd imagine that Rum or that Jager stuff would hospitalise me. Diabetes - never get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Captain Morgan and black bush. They both kill me so sadly I dont drink them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Methanol, vicious hangovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Had a night of champagne and Jaeger before.I was like Hans Moleman the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For me wine is the worst for hangovers, it's a combination of sufficient liquid to cause dehydration with high alcohol.

Spirits are best for me, the low volume of liquid means less dehydration which means "less" hangover. Or at least, a cleaner hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

dudara wrote: »
    For me wine is the worst for hangovers, it's a combination of sufficient liquid to cause dehydration with high alcohol.

Spirits are best for me, the low volume of liquid means less dehydration which means "less" hangover. Or at least, a cleaner hangover.
    Surely this makes no sense at all? I mean, wouldn't more liquid cause less dehydration? I figured that was one of the reasons why lager gives me no hangover, because I'm consuming more water compared to the amount of alcohol I'm drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Erdinger or any cloudy beer. Red wine blows the tits off me too. In bed all day the next day guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Chilean wine doesn't give me a hangover, any other countries wine does. No idea why, maybe less additives? Spanish/American wine leaves me with a cracking headache the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I don't get hangovers in the traditional sense, but I have health issues with my stomach so I usually feel the effects of drink that way. I can't think of any type of alcohol that is particularly bad though. It usually depends on the amount I drink or whether or not I've mixed alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Beer is about 90-95% of what I drink these days. It's always quantity that does me.

The worst hangover I ever had came from Baileys. I drank a ridiculous amount one night for some reason and I was destroyed the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Gin really affects me but there's a little sign on the bottle that says
    drink me please

I am like Alice in Wonderland.

Advertisement