Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So which alcohol personally gives you the worst hangover?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

humbert wrote: »
    Methanol, vicious hangovers.
    Methanol will give terrible hangovers alright. Some drinks are a lot higher in methanol than others. There is a lot of naturally occurring methanol in cider and some wines. A cheap brandy producer would not discard or take as much care in distillation so it could have a lot more than a decent vodka would. Plum brandies are among the worst.

Skyy vodka was developed as a hangover reduced spirit. It is very pure and is meant to have minimal levels of methanol and other by products of ethanol fermentation.

Sugar based fermenations contain only minute traces of methanol, so rum should have little or none, and some vodkas are sugar based. Most hobby distillers will use sugar based brews to distill vodka.

The EU regulations allow up to 10g of methanol per litre of ethanol.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

I'm alright with Guinness :) that would be my go to drink these days and not too bad a hangover! Had about 10 pints last night and I wasn't too bad this morning. Well that's 10 from around 7pm to 3am.

Now the weekend before Christmas I went out and started on Guinness then went to corona then onto Captain Morgan's all the while drinking shots of half jack Daniels and half Jager.

Woke at 12 the next day still feeling drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

usually stick to the cider but when i also have a few whisky & cokes or rum & cokes., its major horrors the next day

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Methanol is really bad, and benzyl alcohol is nasty , isopropanol is best used for cleaning things

some chemistry herein
    http://www.chemistryviews.org/details/ezine/1080019/Chemistry_of_a_Hangover__Alcohol_and_its_Consequences_Part_3.html
    After eight weeks, each participant had experienced and survived a fully intoxicated state from each type of drink, and was able to evaluate the severity of the resulting hangover symptoms. It turned out that there was a definite relationship between the intensity of the hangover and the beverage: brandy produced the most severe hangover, followed (in descending order) by red wine, rum, whiskey, white wine, and gin. Vodka and pure alcohol were tolerated the best

but http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12960505
    CONCLUSIONS:

The fusel oil in whisky had no effect on the ethanol-induced emetic response, but it suppressed taste-aversion behavior in animal models of hangover symptoms. These results suggest that the fusel oil in whisky alleviates hangover, contrary to the common belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Tequila - means I'll be hugging the toilet for at least a day afterwards. Vile, vile stuff. Haven't touched it in years

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Any alcohol, these days.

But I've recently had to add red wines to my list of migraine triggers. My migraines feel like the worst hangovers, only without any alcohol consumed previously. Now I find a single glass of some reds can trigger it, too... And I can't figure out which ones will be triggers and which ones will be fine. There seems to be no pattern.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Cider for me anyway, it goes down so easy and hurts so bad the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Red wine is probably the worst for me, seems to dehydrate me worse than even a night on spirits.
    I would say the worst specific one would be the Franciscan Well Red Ale, had a much worse head after that than any other beer, craft or mass market

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Any distilled beverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Guiness gives me the smelliest farts so I don't drink it anymore. Cider makes be bloated after 3 or 4 so that's as much as I will drink of that. Tequilla tastes rotten and gives very bad hangovers ever. Vodka is great but I just stay merry and never get drunk.

Southern Comfort is a dirty bastard though. It goes down the hatch with ease but kicks the sh!te out of my brain the following day.

• Advertisement

Back in 1990 I drank a fair sup of brandy and port one night. I've never had a worse hangover. Never.
    I cant even smell brandy now without dry wretching nevermind drink it.

Its the piss of Lucifer himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

Red wine and some of the IPA/ craft beers are the devils work. That said I think one of the big problems is just general fatigue - I haven't bothered drinking much over the last coue of years and still find I get "hangovers" after drink free nights out - music, caffine, sugar, the odd burger and disrupted sleep pattern just seem to ruin me.

I suppose when that I was student and I was regularly able to put away 12 plus pints and still cycle home I didn't have the stresses midweek that a fulltime job etc bring. This means when you arrive at the bar at the weekend you really are only just begining to recover from the midweek hassle exposing you to a far greater level of fatigue and consequent hangover. That is my theory anyways, nothing to do with becoming an old fart!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

I found it was a combination of drinking 4 or 5 bottles of Erdinger, a few G & T's, and a shot or two of Sambuca that gave me a migraine headache that would last for a few days.

My beer of choice these days is either Schneider Weisse Tap 7 or Staropramen depending on which of my two haunts I'm in at the time. I will be a bit hungover the next day, but this only lasts for a few hours or so. Only rarely do I drink G & T or Sambuca now.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Anything mixed with red bull. The red bull has serious effects on me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

Im not much of a drinker but when I go on a Brasso binge it really fecks me up for the following few days..my piss stinks as well but I cant figure why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

lakesider wrote: »
    Im not much of a drinker but when I go on a Brasso binge it really fecks me up for the following few days..my piss stinks as well but I cant figure why?

Yeah but I'd say your bowel motions have a hell of a shine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Its almost impossible to get a hangover while lying down drinking in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shmalentine

Champagne

The bubbles are the death of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Craft beer will give ya a woeful hangover more so than normal beer, mainly dehydration and a dose of the trots. Good lord, O Hara's Red Ale itself is a natural laxative.

Cider also gives me the worst headache, never been sick on cider but it absolutely nukes my head the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Any kind of beer or red wine are the worst for me. Vodka give me no hangover just a weird buzz the next day, same with gin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Amateurs, come back to me when ye can reference Turpentine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

mfergus wrote: »
    Anything mixed with red bull. The red bull has serious effects on me

Nothing like having heart palpations to add to the sense of existential dread a "good" hangover brings.
    Though thats more Buckfast than Red Bull IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Hibernosaur

Cheapo 3 euro a drink beer in a pub such as fosters. Whatever sh1yte it is they serve is poison. 3 day hangover city.

I can drink 14 bottles of premium German or Czech beer and feel much better then next day then if I drink 5 or 6 pints of cheap muck.

The same with wine, a 7 euro bottle of wine and it's headaches all round. Pay 15 euros and no headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

On the back of last nights escapades and on other side of things, honey Jack Daniels and cranberry is delicious and leaves you feeling like Iron Man the next day. My new staple.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Brandy or cognac in any significant quantity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭darlenmol

Buckfast. I was never terrified and hungover at the same time before. It felt my whole existence was being shredded apart. NEVER again. It should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Vodka for me, avoid it like the plague. I also have noticed that drinking beer and red wine gets me hammered, like proper pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The worst alcohol hangover I had was from drinking gin,Even writing about it gives me the shivers,It was still repeating in my breath 3/4 days later. It was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I never drink lager or pilsners. Even though I live in Germany. I get a headache even while I'm drinking it. The Heineken and Carlsbergs so beloved of punters in Ireland is even worse. Pure swill.

A good white wine is my tipple of choice these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Tuborg......dark angel of death take me now.....

Advertisement