Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ho do you get on with your siblings?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I have just the one brother and he is two years older than me. We get along just fine, always have done....except when I came home from the hospital after being born and he had a tantrum demanding I was returned :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Three brothers and three sisters. Very argumentative family, lots of bitching about each other.

I'm civil to all of them, but have made it clear that I have no interest in bitching about other members of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Am the eldest and have one of each. Never got along with my sister, she is loud and obnoxious, everything that I can't stand in a person and I can't bring myself to overlook that just because we are family.

Aside from my OH and kids, my brother would be the person I am closest to. Would do anything for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

6 brothers, 3 sisters and I feel like I don't know where I am with them anymore. Feel awkward around my older siblings now especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I'm not a ho. You're a ho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Two brothers and a sister, all within eight years age-difference wise. We get on fine. No shortage of rows while we all lived under the same roof though. Probably became closer the more we all went on our own ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

One younger brother. 3 years younger.

We got along great as kids. For sure we had rows and arguments. One that culminated in him running away from home at age 10. He actually went and hid at the bottom of the garden. But I was the one who got in sh*t for it, because I was the one that upset him so much!

We get along very well and he's part of my social circle and I'm part of his. We get along well with each others' friends and (when we have them) other halves.

He's a good guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Youngest of 4. There is a pretty big age gap between me and them, so I wasn't all that close to any of them when I was growing up. They were all off doing their own thing, when I was still playing with my Barbie dolls. Two of them emigrated to the US when I was a teenager. I lived in the US for a good bit too. We get on really, really well for people who have lived thousands of miles apart from each other for decades. We are deservedly proud of that, but the closeness that comes from being a part of each others lives on a daily basis, just isn't there.

I thought I was ok with it. It is what it is and all that. But I moved back home a few years ago & I sometimes watch my cousins (who have always lived here) interact with each other. They give out yards about each other, but there is an innate closeness there, that I really, really envy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Two older sisters. They're cnuts. They have one younger brother and reckon he is too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I have one brother and one sister.
    I do not get on with my brother at all.

I get on okay with my sister. It can be tumultuous at times. We didn't speak from 2008 until 2012. We didn't have a great childhood and we've all got our problems from that.
    We are better off living a distance from each other so we don't see each other too much and get on each other's nerves. We see each other every 3 or 4 months and that's fine. We talk everyday though.

I believe that you make your own family and just because you are born into one, it does not make it your only family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    I have zero siblings. I would give anything to experience one.

Me too, you should be able to adopt a sibling :)
    Of course it wouldn't be the same. I'd love to have someone who remembers all the things I do, whose early life is so entertwined with mine that it's part of my own. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Me too, you should be able to adopt a sibling  Of course it wouldn't be the same. I'd love to have someone who remembers all the things I do, whose early life is so entertwined with mine that it's part of my own. 

That makes me so sad to read, and so grateful at the same time for my younger sister, 3 years between us and she is and always has been my very best friend, I cant imagine what it would be like not to have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Me too, you should be able to adopt a sibling :)
    Of course it wouldn't be the same. I'd love to have someone who remembers all the things I do, whose early life is so entertwined with mine that it's part of my own. :)

It's not always a given that siblings memories of their parents and their childhoods, are always going to be the same. My 2 older brothers remember a lot of childhood hardship and marital discord while my parents struggled to put food on the table. I was the baby, so when I came along, the rest of the brood had left the nest and things were much more settled, both emotionally and financially. Our different memories of our childhoods left different marks on us & made us all hugely different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mr_Maestro

I'm the eldest of three lads. We get along great. We argue and sometimes it gets heated but we're brothers first and foremost and we never forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I have an older brother, we were never mates but got on alright. It's pretty much the same now, we speak once a month or a bit less.

I have a younger sister too, we were great mates growing up, very close. We still chat every few weeks and can tell each other anything but aren't really mates any more. We still get on well enough but we tend to argue a good bit too, over silly stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I have a younger brother and I'm happy to call him my best mate.
    Ah that's lubbly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Reading some of these posts are making me feel so accepting and at peace with the entirely disfunctional relationship I have with my sister.
    Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I have an older brother and an older sister. Me and my brother don't have much in common, but we're both fairly laid back and get on well.

I alternate between getting on well with my older sister and hating her. She's a good person on balance but everything is a competition to her and she can be extremely arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I have one older brother.

We aren't close in a conventional sense. We had a difficult childhood and it made us very protective of each other. He's got my back and I have his. He's one of those quiet farmer types.

The person I'm closest to in my whole family is actually his wife. We speak at least once a week or more now that I'm getting updates on my nephews.

Growing up I always wanted a sister and now I have the best big sister in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

If my experience with siblings is anything to go by there is only one way to get on with them. Move out. The change in the relationship is instant.

If AFTER moving out you are still not getting on - then I can recommend all sorts of things :)

I always got on OK with my brothers but when we're all back in the family home for an extended period it can get shouty.
    Get on really well with them though even when we have lived together outside of home. Love the fact we can meet up and chat sh*t till 7am over drinks (having seen siblings that get on well until alcohol is involved).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

My sister is 2 years younger than me and has Downs Syndrome, but I probably get on better with her than I do with most people. She's so cool and laid back and I am a bit of a tense person at times so I like being around her. Her and my boyfriend are the only people I can spend more than 48 hours with and not be sick of them.

I also have a half brother who's 9. Adorable kid, really has a huge heart and I can see the person he's growing into and it's really, really good. He has very strong ideas about inclusion and fairness and family and it's admirable. I've never lived with him, but we see eachother every few weeks. It's not a conventional sibling relationship but I do love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm going to bate the head of my younger brother when I see him next. Sending me texts at 5.10 a.m this morning - along the lines of "just letting you know i'm up for work"...Serious boot in the balls for him for that carry on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I've got two younger brothers.

Now I've moved here, I'd speak with the youngest once or twice a year, maybe send the odd email. The middle one I don't really get on with - I can smile and bear him for a few hours every few years when I have to be home for a family celebration or something. He's got self-esteem problems, something I blame my mother for. Both me and the youngest finished our A-levels and went to universtiy, we both have degrees. The middle one always had a hard time with anything academical, it just wasn't his thing at all, and to my mother that was a constant disappointment, as she's quite the snob where education is concerned.

So he;s rather competitive now, he seems to feel he constantly needs to prove his intellect to me and the youngest brother, and it does get tyring.
    Also, I really can't stand his wife. It's hard to say why exactly, she's just too goody-two-shoes, in constant primary-school teacher mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My younger sister is brilliant, we always got along well, I looked her after a lot, and now I'm her legal guardian. The rest of them, two brothers, two other sisters, are a load of gob****es, I have no time for any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have one brother, and a half brother and half sister. My half siblings live in France with my Dad and I only see them every few years. They are teenagers now. I get on with them fine!

My brother that I grew up with is 3 years younger than me. I get on with him pretty well, we are quite close. He does my head in sometimes though, he's very very cranky. He also seriously sponges off my Mother which annoys me, but what can you do..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Three brothers and a sister. We all live quite close to each other. The sister I just about tolerate. Not her fault totally mine I have little patience, she kind of comes across, to me anyhow, a bit Waltons all smiley smiley isn't eyverything great and don't we as sisters just love each other, where as I think cop on woman if I said one word you don't agree with the smile would be gone and you would be ranting and raving like a banshee, and don't get me started on FB. Happy birthday to my wonderful daughter .....who makes me soooo proud doing her irish dancing studing all weekend opening a fcuking letter. Say it to her face then so instead of putting it on fakebook wtf. Our upbringing was strained to say the least and to this day especially with older brother and myself just wouldn't be loving the parents as much as the younger sis and bros. So they can't understand when we don't want to live in their pockets as a family.

Watching my own children now how they bond and grow I can see the boys can't look at one another and girl in middle is very much loved by both. That's ok. They don't have to get on because they were born to us or lived in same house. Just don't kill each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Only one older brother and get on great with him. We're very alike and have the same sense of humour and mentality so we're naturally close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I have one younger sister and one younger brother. We get along well, but then again we are all still living under the one roof. I hope our relationships don't disintegrate after we all move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I have a younger sister that insists on being part of every single conversation in the house at Christmas. She will appear as if she is deep in conversation with someone but will be actually listening to everyone else and interrupting constantly. She answers every question asked no matter that the topic or who is being asked. She cant sit still and will go from room to room to ensure she is not missing out on a chance to butt into a conversation. She is very loud and opinionated and creates unease. It is exceptionally annoying - how would ye handle that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I've two of each. Get on great with the two that live in Ireland and consider them two of my best mates. I've another one in California who I don't know very well (he emigrated when I was young) although we chat on Facebook. He's lovely though. I've another one in New Jersey who I would get on well with but she's very much my big sister and we'd have a more sisterly relationship. They're all incredibly sound though and I'm very lucky. Count my blessings everyday to have them.

Advertisement