Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ho do you get on with your siblings?

Options
  • 30-12-2014 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

I've 3 of each, 3 older, 3 younger (extreme middle-child syndrome) get on ok with all except the oldest- selfish demeaning b, by times and the youngest, he just doesn't talk to me, and that suits me fine!

The rest is good, very close with my closest sister. So how is your familial relationships?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

One younger brother. Couldn't be better. He's a fantastic guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I also have three of each! I'm second eldest. We all get on grand. I don't know of any family feuds or disagreements. At the same time, I don't consider my siblings my bestest friends. But that's OK. :) We have each others' backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I have 5. 2 sisters and 3 brothers. I'm the youngest boy.

I get on brilliantly with the oldest 3, two brothers and a sister. The brother closest in age to me I just can't seem to fun much in common with, can't undestand it, we get on ok but wouldn't go out of our way to spend time with each other.

The youngest is my sister and we don't speak at all, long drawn out reasons going back years. The rest only barely tolerate her too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I have a younger brother and I'm happy to call him my best mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Middle child, older brother 4 years older and another 7 years younger.

Used to get on great with older, didn't with younger at all. Now the reverse, barely speak with the older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I have two younger sisters. We get on really well but they are best friends and much closer to each other than with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

All sisters, and I am the youngest.

Didn't work out so well with my mothers clothing policy of hand me downs.... I am male... so, we don't get on.
    Plus, when Daddy was doing hard time, I became 'the man' of the family. 15 years old and having to fight chaps 6/7 years older than me to defend my sisters honour such were the character of the gentlemen they got involved with. Bust a few skulls and made a few enemies on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have three. We were all very close growing up but I'm only in contact with one now. Been that way for years, don't see it ever changing tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I have an older brother and 2 younger brothers. We get on pretty well as long as we're not around each other all the time, but I wouldn't call myself 'close' to any of them. Probably get on best with the youngest at the moment, he's the most easy going. Then middle bro- he's the most fun, but we can clash on some things. Then eldest- we're very, very different people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Only child but my relationship with my parents and the rest of my family is quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I've one older sister and 2 younger.

The eldest - we didn't get along at all as teenagers, but get on very well now. It's brilliant having a nice relationship with her after so long.

Middle sister - she's pretty much my best friend.

Youngest - she's a hormonal teenager, and hasn't been disciplined, so can be a right cnut, but when she's not in a foul mood (so, about 20% of the time), she's lovely to be around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I have an older sister who I'm close with. We get on well.

I have a younger brother. I wouldn't be that close to the chap. He's rather feckless. Full of harebrained schemes and big ideas that invariably end up with him ringing me looking for a bailout. His latest idea is on becoming a personal trainer. I'm glad to see him excited about it, but I can't help but think that smoking cannabis a few times a week isn't the best way, either from a physical or motivational perspective, in making this the type of reality that will pay his bills.

He's an amiable sort, but a feckless layabout. You can't choose your siblings though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Not great. We never got on. He moved abroad for college and we never kept in touch. We'd say the odd few sentences to each other every day when he's home two or three times a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Kat97 wrote: »
    Only child but my relationship with my parents and the rest of my family is quite good.

eh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I have one younger brother. We get on alright although I don't even know his phone number. He does his thing, I do mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Get on great with my 2 brothers and 2 sisters. All younger than me.
    Had 3 older sisters (half really)
    Met eldest 2 couple of times (both dead now).
    Have never met the other woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

2 younger brothers. We don't not get on but in reality we barely speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Have one older brother, a fantastic guy, proud to call him my brother and best friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Two sisters and Two brothers (I'm the youngest)

Get on great with 3/4 of them. One (a sister) lives a 2 hour flight away in Vancouver, the other (a brother) a 5 hour flight away in Toronto - iMessage with them both through the day and would probably see them 3 or 4 times a year each, along with the nieces and nephews. But we FaceTime a lot in between.

The other brother lives in London and is great fun and all round good guy, I go out of my way to see him whenever I am back in Europe.

The other sister is a miserable cow living in Dublin that would prefer the rest of us to being as miserable as she is - the less I see of her the better. None of the siblings get on with her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Good thread. In real life when I mention that I don't speak to my sister I'm normally met with shock, judgement and the usual, "you should try and fix things, she can't be that bad". (She is by the way.
    If there was a way I could see us getting on I would try but that ship sailed and sank a long time ago.

Not nice to hear obviously but it's some comfort that I don't seem to be unique in having a sibling that I don't speak to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,622 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

My siblings are racist, vile and pig ignorant. My life is enriched by their absence.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I have one younger brother. We get on alright although I don't even know his phone number. He does his thing, I do mine.

Same here. We've not a lot in common, live in different countries and rarely speak unless we're both at my parents house - when we are there we get on fine, laughing and joking, but we actually have very little interest in each others lives. It suits us both, although I think my mum wishes we'd converse more outside the parental nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Middle child here too! Growing up would have been closer to the younger 3. Very little contact with my eldest sister.
    Now it's the opposite. That eldest sister is the one I see / talk to most as she lives nearby. But it's still the sister next to me younger that I get on the most with. The youngest girl is grand but a product of the celtic tiger and can be very immature at times
    have 2 brothers that I don't get on with. One is a complete hypocritical b*** *** the other is special needs with "challenging behaviour" so I have minimal contact as he is physically violent

Generally tho us sisters get on great - particularly the oldest 4 of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I have 7 siblings. Get on grand with all of them, don't know the eldest very well really. But wouldn't class any of them as friends as such, wouldn't just call over to them unannounced or go out for a drink for no reason, that type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I have 7 siblings. Get on grand with all of them, don't know the eldest very well really. But wouldn't class any of them as friends as such, wouldn't just call over to them unannounced or go out for a drink for no reason, that type of thing.

This seems like the ideal arrangement. I have witnessed first hand how closed off some families or sets of siblings become. Outsiders will usually only be allowed in if they tow the family line.

There's no reason to suspect that just because you share parents you are actually going to really like your siblings as people. If you genuinely do then that's just a bonus. A bit of healthy respect is the minimum required to maintain harmony.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Snap, seems like a good enough arrangement, he does his thing, I do mine. Can't remember having a row with the chap once the fun and joy of the teenage years was gotten out of the way mind. Guess general ambivalence is the best kind of sibling relationship to have.

If my experience with siblings is anything to go by there is only one way to get on with them. Move out. The change in the relationship is instant.

If AFTER moving out you are still not getting on - then I can recommend all sorts of things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Have 2 brothers one living one passed over and I have one sister. I get on great with them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

I have zero siblings. I would give anything to experience one.

I know some people are never going to get on but try and make a decent effort. If they don't meet you halfway then after a while don't make the effort any more. Just remember that some people dont get the opportunity to experience that

Advertisement