Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vetting tenants

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Could we also have one for landlords based on retention of deposits?

Yes - i have alluded to that in my previous post, in this case the one you replied to.

An independent third party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Yes - i have alluded to that in my previous post, in this case the one you replied to.

An independent third party

You don't have to allude. You can just some out and say it straight. I agree with an independent 3rd party who could hold deposits, act as adjudicator etc. PRTB processing time is far too long. Probably one reason why so many illegal evictions are attempted.

I did not equate the outcomes. I equated the act of requesting a statement. if you can't understand this simple concept then I am afraid I can't help you.

30 days notice is not much good if you've been seriously injured or worse by exposed electric cables on an immersion tank or the place has almost burned to the ground because a storage heater has caught fire. Luckily the dog woke us and we had time to call the fire brigade. Doesn't bear thinking about what could have happened.

I am well aware that it is easier for a tenant to leave than it is to evict one....but that is not really the point. You are kind of just arguing that one with yourself at this stage :)

You have completely ignored or misinterpreted what i have said to date in this forum and just extrapolated from your own situations.

I have tried to present ways in which the situation of vetting tenants can be made better for both parties and society in general and that we can end the inter generational issues around renting.

Unfortunately, you have stiffled that debate with very specific instances of an electric cable and a crap cooker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

You have completely ignored or misinterpreted what i have said to date in this forum and just extrapolated from your own situations.

I have tried to present ways in which the situation of vetting tenants can be made better for both parties and society in general and that we can end the inter generational issues around renting.

Unfortunately, you have stiffled that debate with very specific instances of an electric cable and a crap cooker

I'm sorry you've run out of things to say.

I believe the faulty (and life endangering) electrics were only brought in later, in response to your assertion that a house will hardly be falling down within a two year lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Could we also have one for landlords based on retention of deposits?

Nice one

• Advertisement

But the reality we tenants live with, or, rather endure, ARE specifics. The conditions we have to live with 24/7. This is not some theoretical "debate" for us but our daily reality.. As for paperwork.. having seen how my current landlord treats letters etc there is no way I would give him anything remotely confidential .. He is better than most as he cannot be bothered to see to repairs so has given me the relevant numbers and I can just call the plumber etc.. NB I do suspect reading some of these posts that there is a wide variance of landlords and probably a rural/urban divide .. rural also tends to be more accepting re Rent Allowance in my experience. More is taken on trust

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks just a reminder that the opening post was in relation to vetting tenants. This has been turned into the will I/won't I show my bank statements thread.
    Enough is enough - get back to the query raised by the OP.

Graces7 wrote: »
    But the reality we tenants live with, or, rather endure, ARE specifics. The conditions we have to live with 24/7. This is not some theoretical "debate" for us but our daily reality.. As for paperwork.. having seen how my current landlord treats letters etc there is no way I would give him anything remotely confidential .. He is better than most as he cannot be bothered to see to repairs so has given me the relevant numbers and I can just call the plumber etc.. NB I do suspect reading some of these posts that there is a wide variance of landlords and probably a rural/urban divide .. rural also tends to be more accepting re Rent Allowance in my experience. More is taken on trust

There's nothing theoretical about it. It is the renting model in place in most European countries.

I have explained the reasons for the bank statements as a means of vetting tenants countless times and how both parties would not be in breach of data protection laws. Please read the forum or at least my previous posts.

A difference in urban/rural renting and the scepticism of landlords is the reality, not just the tone of this forum.

There's nothing theoretical about it. It is the renting model in place in most European countries.

I have explained the reasons for the bank statements as a means of vetting tenants countless times and how both parties would not be in breach of data protection laws. Please read the forum or at least my previous posts.

A difference in urban/rural renting and the scepticism of landlords is the reality, not just the tone of this forum.

And we have rejected the idea re bank statements every time. At the end of the day OP there is no totally bombproof way of vetting tenants. Anyone can lose their job, fall ill or suffer any other misfortune affecting their ability to pay rent on time. We are human. I am glad there is a rural urban divide as what BH is aiming for is a souless machine when it is our homes that are involved. I have never defaulted on rent in all my years here and am on Rent Allowance and would advise the OP to ignore advice to discount rent allowance tenants. For many of us in that situation our home means everything to us and being old or disabled is not our choice or a character fault.

Graces7 wrote: »
    And we have rejected the idea re bank statements every time. At the end of the day OP there is no totally bombproof way of vetting tenants. Anyone can lose their job, fall ill or suffer any other misfortune affecting their ability to pay rent on time. We are human. I am glad there is a rural urban divide as what BH is aiming for is a souless machine when it is our homes that are involved. I have never defaulted on rent in all my years here and am on Rent Allowance and would advise the OP to ignore advice to discount rent allowance tenants. For many of us in that situation our home means everything to us and being old or disabled is not our choice or a character fault.

And people have also said they dont mind giving redacted statements. Have you not read that? Its all in this thread.

By rejection of my proposition of vetting tenants all youre doing is promoting the abdication of a degree of responsibility and accountability from tenants which would improve the tenant/landlord relationship. As youve already stated your landlord allows you to initiate communication with tradesmen to get things fixed in your accommodation as he trusts you as a tenant. The question is what is an easy and quick wait to build this trust initially from day one...

Im sure youre aware that property in urban areas costs more than rural. Isnt it obvious that a landlord in an urban area will be more protective of his investment as it costs more to service the debt on if they get a bad tenant in?

Also as you state it is your home you must also consider the fact that it is a semi-permanent home and not a permanent one as you are renting. I am not a "soulless machine" as you describe, im merely pointing out the realities of living in a semi-permanent home as opposed to a permanent one.

Do you know why landlords dont want rent allowance tenants - no accountability and responsibility. There are numerous threads in this forum about it and its was referred to heavily in a recent RTE documentary about renting. I wonder if my quick and easy fix to prove responsibility on behalf of tenants make sense now?

• Advertisement

And people have also said they dont mind giving redacted statements. Have you not read that? Its all in this thread.

By rejection of my proposition of vetting tenants all youre doing is promoting the abdication of a degree of responsibility and accountability from tenants which would improve the tenant/landlord relationship. As youve already stated your landlord allows you to initiate communication with tradesmen to get things fixed in your accommodation as he trusts you as a tenant. The question is what is an easy and quick wait to build this trust initially from day one...

Im sure youre aware that property in urban areas costs more than rural. Isnt it obvious that a landlord in an urban area will be more protective of his investment as it costs more to service the debt on if they get a bad tenant in?

Also as you state it is your home you must also consider the fact that it is a semi-permanent home and not a permanent one as you are renting. I am not a "soulless machine" as you describe, im merely pointing out the realities of living in a semi-permanent home as opposed to a permanent one.

Do you know why landlords dont want rent allowance tenants - no accountability and responsibility
    . There are numerous threads in this forum about it and its was referred to heavily in a recent RTE documentary about renting. I wonder if my quick and easy fix to prove responsibility on behalf of tenants make sense now?
    Not true. I am on RA and have never defaulted on rent or left a place less clean than when I moved in. This kind of blanket discrimination is senseless and misleading. The previous tenants in this house were way behind with rent and wrecked the place and they were not RA tenants. So your cut and dried ideas make even less sense .... My landlord trusted me as I am older and single and we got on fine at the viewing. I offered then to do small painting jobs that needed doing if he provided the materials. Home is home be it permanent or temporary.. trust is interesting indeed. I have never been refused a rental nor have i ever been asked for references .. in fact when dire repairs have been needed and I have left the lls have pleaded with me to stay on.. always on Rent Allowance.. some daft ads now say RA if deemed suitable which is a much more sensible and fair approach. I mean if someone views with three unruly kids... or an older person alone. A blanket ban is inhumane....and discriminatory in the extreme.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Barely Hedged, Graces7 please stop posting in this thread.

Thanks

Advertisement